PDA

View Full Version : Holiday catalogs & catalogchoice.org

JulesInLA
12-14-2007, 04:51 PM
At this time of year, I am absolutely flooded with catalogs - but this year I did something to stop the madness which I thought I'd pass along here.

There's a new site call www.catalogchoice.org which I read about in the LA Times. You can register and opt out of catalogs you don't want. This saves trees and the energy used to produce, create and transport the catalogs too.

I went through my gigantic pile and alphabetized them on my floor. This also helped me see how many copies of each was being sent to me (and sometimes the same catalog went to another family member). If a catalog was of interest and I only received mailings occasionally, I might choose to keep that over Pottery Barn which mails me 2-3 every month.

It's super-easy to log on and set up an account. You put in your address and you can create as many name "options" you need based on how the catalog is addressed.

Every one of the catalogs that I was receiving was listed except for local stores in my area. Big ones like Pier 1 Imports are there.

This doesn't mean I'll never shop at these places again though!

Each catalog option also lists a link to that vendor's website. This is really handy for future shopping. If you know you want to order that fruit basket from Harry & David's once a year at Christmas for Aunt Sally, you just sign on through your account and click on the link...you don't need a year of their catalogs to do that!

You can re-start a catalog easily too.

It takes up to 10 weeks for it to get through to the vendor, but you can also report a transgression after that time.

I guess I'll leave a note for my postman to let him know about his lighter load for the new year!

Check it out and pass it along...and don't forget to recycle all those old catalogs!

dukepsy1963
12-14-2007, 11:57 PM
really, it has gotten worse and worse each year and I must throw out 10-15 per week. Anything I can do to help the mailman's back is also appreciated!!!

I'll take a look!

dukemomLA
12-15-2007, 02:33 AM
At this time of year, we, at my house, receive POUNDS of catalogues -- and in many cases 2-3 multiples from the same company.

I agree, let's save the USPS the hassle and back-breaking chore of delivering all this stuff that goes immediately into the recycle cans. THANKS for this tip! Happy Holidays to All DBR readers and posters. Blessings.