PDA

View Full Version : Anyone notice...

blazindw
12-14-2007, 02:46 PM
how much press the coaching search has been getting nationally? We have definitely received more national press the past few weeks on our job search than that of the likes of Michigan or UCLA, 2 traditional powers still without coaches. Never thought that we'd be able to say that!

DukieInKansas
12-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Having the job posted online has been pointed out on several programs, usually followed by a few chuckles. I assume the University policy is to post all open positions, but UCLA and Michigan don't have their coaching positions online.

blazindw
12-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Yea, I knew that, and yes, UCLA and Michigan are apparently required to post their positions somewhere since it's a public university. But I was just referring to just the straight coverage about the coaches. ESPN usually has had a story on every single coach that we've been rumored to go after or even bring in and interview. It seems like our search has really been out there as opposed to previous coaching searches we've had in football that probably would have garned a 2-3 sentence note in the back of the local papers' sports sections.

Duvall
12-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Having the job posted online has been pointed out on several programs, usually followed by a few chuckles. I assume the University policy is to post all open positions, but UCLA and Michigan don't have their coaching positions online.

That's odd. Most state schools do this - they just don't get a vapid article from some hack reporter.

SharkD
12-16-2007, 01:23 PM
That's odd. Most state schools do this - they just don't get a vapid article from some hack reporter.

I haven't seen the article (link?), but it's a requirement at Duke that all open positions be posted on the hr.duke.edu website, even if they already have an internal or external candidate lined-up for the position. Even though I was told that I was hired, it couldn't be made official until I had submitted my information/background to be processed through the HR site. I'm not sure if faculty candidates have to do this, though.

Mike Corey
12-16-2007, 01:47 PM
but UCLA and Michigan don't have their coaching positions online.

With all due respect, that is innaccurate. It's required by law of all government entities to post job openings--which includes public institutions of higher education--with no exception for head football coach openings.

Here is M*chigan's current listing:

Job ID: 13431
Job Title: HEAD FOOTBALL COACH
Job/Career Family: Athletics
State: Michigan
City: Ann Arbor
Job Type: Regular
Full Time: Yes
Date Posted: Nov 26 2007
Minimum Salary:
Maximum Salary:
Salary Frequency: Annual
Job Description and Responsibilities: Market Title: Head Football Coach
FLSA: Exempt
Salary Range: To be Determined
Hours/Week: 40
Shift: Days/Evenings/Weekends

The University of Michigan invites applications for the position of Head Football Coach. This position entails the leadership of all phases of the Football program. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to; coaching, the recruitment of qualified student-athletes, support of the academic progress of student-athletes, budget management, and community relations.

Job Requirements: Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required. A thorough knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations is required.

Preferred qualifications: Graduate degree. Previous collegiate head coaching experience.

~

You will kindly note that no mention of "winning" is made in the job listing, which was the punch line for the woeful AP writer that submitted the piece heard round the college football world in mocking Duke.

The article in question was atrocious, because it (intentionally?) overlooked the very basic facts: Duke posts each of its job openings (after Nan stepped down, the presidency was listed, as well; if a janitor position is opened, that goes online as well), as does every single public school across the country. Duke does it in accordance with its school policy.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Those who seek to discredit others in a public arena may not take the time to get the full story. Regardless of the university's success or failure, Duke has seemed to provoke jealousy and mean spirited comments from various sources throughout its history. Recognize the source and the motivation. The decline of our football program created a vulnerability which has been exploited in the media and by fans of other programs. It's not worth the effort to attempt to counter such insults. It is far better to build great success with the class expected at Duke. You know the old saying that the best defense is a good offense!

devildeac
12-16-2007, 02:25 PM
With all due respect, that is innaccurate. It's required by law of all government entities to post job openings--which includes public institutions of higher education--with no exception for head football coach openings.

Here is M*chigan's current listing:

Job ID: 13431
Job Title: HEAD FOOTBALL COACH
Job/Career Family: Athletics
State: Michigan
City: Ann Arbor
Job Type: Regular
Full Time: Yes
Date Posted: Nov 26 2007
Minimum Salary:
Maximum Salary:
Salary Frequency: Annual
Job Description and Responsibilities: Market Title: Head Football Coach
FLSA: Exempt
Salary Range: To be Determined
Hours/Week: 40
Shift: Days/Evenings/Weekends

The University of Michigan invites applications for the position of Head Football Coach. This position entails the leadership of all phases of the Football program. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to; coaching, the recruitment of qualified student-athletes, support of the academic progress of student-athletes, budget management, and community relations.

Job Requirements: Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required. A thorough knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations is required.

Preferred qualifications: Graduate degree. Previous collegiate head coaching experience.

~

You will kindly note that no mention of "winning" is made in the job listing, which was the punch line for the woeful AP writer that submitted the piece heard round the college football world in mocking Duke.

The article in question was atrocious, because it (intentionally?) overlooked the very basic facts: Duke posts each of its job openings (after Nan stepped down, the presidency was listed, as well; if a janitor position is opened, that goes online as well), as does every single public school across the country. Duke does it in accordance with its school policy.

Mike,

It is great to have you as a participant here to keep us properly informed from all aspects of the official Duke sports perspective, even if you have slyly tempted us on another thread about the prospect of the quality of new football assistant coaches we may get with Coach Cut:D . If one has thoroughly read any of the ink this hire has generated, one will find that he has already been contacted by or has personally contacted 75-100 potential candidates, THAT is exciting and encouraging. I just hope we don't lose him too soon as I had also read that after talking with Coach K for 5 minutes, that he was ready to sign a LOI to play hoops for Coach K next year;) . Between you and Mike Cragg, I hope you will keep us all updated during these bright and promising times.

pfrduke
12-16-2007, 02:39 PM
how much press the coaching search has been getting nationally? We have definitely received more national press the past few weeks on our job search than that of the likes of Michigan or UCLA, 2 traditional powers still without coaches. Never thought that we'd be able to say that!

Speaking of the Michigan coaching search - wow! Rich Rodriguez to UM. I think it's safe to say that the days of stretch run left may be over in Ann Arbor.

And on a scale of 1 to pure, seething, homicidal hatred, how do you think WVU fans feel about Michigan - poached a basketball coach and a football coach in the span of ~ 6 months.

uncwdevil
12-16-2007, 04:30 PM
I love how the Michigan job posting says 40 hrs/week.

In the words of Wayne from Wayne's World...sha right!!