PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Reports: David Cutcliffe offered!

langdonfan
12-13-2007, 11:46 PM
If this proves to be true, I think it's a great hire.

http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/12495046.html

http://www.rockytoptalk.com/story/2007/12/13/23258/177

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/12/13/duke-offers-job-to-david-cutcliffe/

wilson
12-13-2007, 11:53 PM
If this proves to be true, I think it's a great hire.

Agreed. Anyone with a winning SEC record and good connections to excellent talent pipelines is a very good start.

SmartDevil
12-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Uh....he might make a fine coach for Duke....but an offer does not necessarily make an acceptance....moreover, how about some credible journalistic sources, eh?

Troublemaker
12-13-2007, 11:59 PM
If this happens, it would be tremendous news and Duke would have landed a coach who's resume is, oh, I'd say about 1000 times better than what I thought we could get. He's universally recognized as one of the very best offensive minds in the country and many people think he did an excellent job at Ole Miss.

duketaylor
12-14-2007, 12:14 AM
I've heard this as well, good hire, IMO.

blazindw
12-14-2007, 12:15 AM
As someone posted in one of the other threads, one of the Knoxville paper is reporting that Cutcliffe is likely to accept the position. If true, I'm glad we've found our new gridiron leader. Welcome, Coach!

gep
12-14-2007, 12:23 AM
If this happens, it would be tremendous news and Duke would have landed a coach who's resume is, oh, I'd say about 1000 times better than what I thought we could get. He's universally recognized as one of the very best offensive minds in the country and many people think he did an excellent job at Ole Miss.

I'm happy if this works out. But, the "down" side of me thinks that if he's very successful here, he'll definitely move on to bigger and better things... like Paul Johnson, etc. Our hope is that if he is very successful, he'll embrace Duke as Coach K does, and stay FOREVER.:)

sagegrouse
12-14-2007, 06:36 AM
I'm happy if this works out. But, the "down" side of me thinks that if he's very successful here, he'll definitely move on to bigger and better things... like Paul Johnson, etc. Our hope is that if he is very successful, he'll embrace Duke as Coach K does, and stay FOREVER.:)

I recognize your concerns, but this falls under the heading, "every silver lining has a cloud." How I would love to have a head coach with a record that would make someone else want to hire him!

sagegrouse

patentgeek
12-14-2007, 07:05 AM
completely agree with sagegrouse - having a coach whose record is good enough to attract the attention of others is a greaet problem to have. Plus, if that happens and that coach were to leave, at that point the Duke position would likely no longer be the no-win situation it seems to be regarded as now.

jlear
12-14-2007, 07:13 AM

If very successful Duke Football will become a bigger and better thing.

DukeU3x
12-14-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm sure the Ol' Ball Coach was consulted on this, since he's coached against Cutcliffe in one form or another a large part of his career.

And I'm sitting here chuckling to myself. Spurrier is probably happy for Duke. But he's got to be happy that SEC rival UT could be looking for an OC of Cutcliffe's quality!

dukeENG2003
12-14-2007, 08:11 AM
I won't believe it until I see the press conference. As others have stated, offer != acceptance

That said, great choice, I hope he does accept.

Bluedawg
12-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Uh....he might make a fine coach for Duke....but an offer does not necessarily make an acceptance....moreover, how about some credible journalistic sources, eh?

How about the Knoxville News Sentinel (http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/dec/13/cutcliffe-offered-duke-job-expected-accept-positio/):

Cutcliffe offered Duke job, expected to accept position

Tennessee offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe has been offered the head coaching position at Duke and is expected to accept the job, sources within UT’s football program told the News Sentinel on Thursday.

Originally published 10:55 p.m., December 13, 2007

Bluedawg
12-14-2007, 08:19 AM

But even if he does he would not be leaving the worse job in D-1 football. Duke would be more attractive to coaches at his level.

Indoor66
12-14-2007, 08:30 AM

I agree with your thoughts but I also have to think we can only make one step at a time.

365Duke
12-14-2007, 08:30 AM
We can all sit on pins and needles until we hear those magical words "Duke University has scheduled a Press conf.":D
I hope this works, Duke is right. The more you read and investigate, the better he looks.

Bluedawg
12-14-2007, 09:01 AM
We can all sit on pins and needles until we hear those magical words "Duke University has scheduled a Press conf.":D
I hope this works, Duke is right. The more you read and investigate, the better he looks.

Joe promised not to do this on the cheap and get a good quality coach. Regardless whether he accepts or not this process has shown that Joe is standing by that promise.

jimsumner
12-14-2007, 09:42 AM
"I'm happy if this works out. But, the "down" side of me thinks that if he's very successful here, he'll definitely move on to bigger and better things."

Would you rather be looking for a new coach after five years because the old one was so successful someone lured him away or because the the old one went 5-47?

OldPhiKap
12-14-2007, 09:55 AM
1. I agree that JA has apparently stepped up to the plate, regardless of how this works out. Both Johnsons, although not taking the job, commented on the obvious commitment that Duke was showing to improve the program. That in itself is a very encouraging sign, as is the fact that folks actually care who we hire.

2. Let's worry about holding on to our wildly successful coach when we get there. As Wake showed, you can retain a hot commodity if the fit is right.

PDDuke85
12-14-2007, 10:09 AM
If in fact David Cutcliffe agrees to become the next head coach of Duke University, I presume he would not agree to the status quo. Very much needed improvements to Wallace Wade's old ball field, a realistic financial backing of the program, and ultimatley attracting student athletes previously not accepted is a leap forward that makes me excited.

ehdg
12-14-2007, 10:18 AM
If Cutcliffe has been offered and accepts I really think we've picked a very good and qualified person for the job. I also think he will be a great influence/teacher for Thad and will only make him even better.

"I'm happy if this works out. But, the "down" side of me thinks that if he's very successful here, he'll definitely move on to bigger and better things."

Would you rather be looking for a new coach after five years because the old one was so successful someone lured him away or because the the old one went 5-47?

Hell if he only lasts a few years and moves on cause of doing well for us it will only improve our programs standing and make it easier for us next time when we go looking for a coach. Other interested parties will see that one can win at Duke and that our school is willing to support the program.

But for now lets just hope he takes the job and helps us improve!

Bluedawg
12-14-2007, 10:30 AM
The Winston-Salem Journal (http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173353860248&path=%21sports%21football%21&s=1037645509262)reports:

Duke appears ready to decide on either David Cutcliffe or Karl Dorrell as its next football coach, according to sources close to the job search.

A decision by Joe Alleva, Duke’s athletics director, could come in the next few days, the sources said. Neither man has been offered the job, a source said.

noladevil
12-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Cutcliffe did a great job at Ole Miss - which is up there with Vandy and Miss. St. as the toughest jobs in the SEC. While he hasn't had to deal with academics like Duke - he is used to playing with a few less chips than his opponents and can still succeed. Also, he ran a clean program at Ole Miss, while both Tuberville before him and especially Orgeron after him had less stellar reputations.

The last thing we need to worry about is whether he stays - we need improvement - PERIOD!

gep
12-14-2007, 11:46 AM

If Cutcliffe has been offered and accepts I really think we've picked a very good and qualified person for the job. I also think he will be a great influence/teacher for Thad and will only make him even better.

Hell if he only lasts a few years and moves on cause of doing well for us it will only improve our programs standing and make it easier for us next time when we go looking for a coach. Other interested parties will see that one can win at Duke and that our school is willing to support the program.

But for now lets just hope he takes the job and helps us improve!

I guess I posted to hastily with my "down side" concern. I agree with everyone else that I should be happy... first, that we get a good coach. Then, if he is very successful, and others come knocking on his door, that only means that Duke Football has become successful. That, in itself, will be a great step forward:)

jjasper0729
12-14-2007, 11:47 AM
According to WRAL (http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2173449/)

maybe there will be a "presser" to come in the very near future with good news.

kexman
12-14-2007, 12:58 PM
This is probably not the right thread, but I didn't want to start a new one and it is somewhat related in the fact that apparently Duke is making a commitment to football.

What does a commitment to football cost...I have no idea.

I assume they figured this out from the football summit and their research
with the business school.

What do our peers spend on football (leaving out major stadium renovations since they are important, but more of a facilities problem). I guess I'm thinking of head coach salary, coaching staff, scholarships, recruiting, support staff...basically your yearly budget.

For my thinking I break the schools down into 4 groups:
1) our peers: Stanford, Northwestern, Wake, Vandy, BC, etc. (private schools with fewer local alumni, some academic restrictions)

2)In state rivals: UNC and State (plus wake from above)

3) powers of the ACC: Va tech, florida state

4) the big boys...USC, Michigan, Texas, ohio state, lsu, etc

Maybe 2-4 are not that different, but they move up the scale in national prominence and I was curious about the financials of midlevel BCS teams compared too national powers...to expand this beyond just duke?

I'm not sure these numbers are available to the public and the ones that are might be laundered a little, but ball park numbers would be interesting. I'm just curious to the amount that we are talking to compete on equal footing financially with different levels of the football establishment.

Stray Gator
12-14-2007, 01:15 PM
The CNN Bottom Line ticker just reported that a Knoxville newspaper says Cutcliffe has been offered the Duke job. Here's hoping for a quick acceptance and press conference.

365Duke
12-14-2007, 01:24 PM
The CNN Bottom Line ticker just reported that a Knoxville newspaper says Cutcliffe has been offered the Duke job. Here's hoping for a quick acceptance and press conference.

I just pee'd a little:eek:

Bluedog
12-14-2007, 01:27 PM
I mean, it's definitely true that a Tennessee newspaper has reported that Duke has offered Cutcliffe the job. However, an AP article last updated at 12:22 says Cutcliffe has told media he has not been offered the job yet. "David Cutcliffe said Friday he hasn't been offered the job as football coach at Duke." So who knows what to believe.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=ArNLilTEAGJVZbOspaO487McvrYF?slug=ap-cutcliffe-duke&prov=ap&type=lgns

ugadevil
12-14-2007, 02:09 PM
As a Georgia fan who's watched David Cutcliffe shred Georgia's defense the past 2 seasons in a row, this is great news! I've been a big fan of Cutcliffe ever since he was at Ole Miss and believe he's one of the brightest offensive minds in college football. He knows how to take good quarterbacks and make them great and he knows how to gameplan.

rockymtn devil
12-14-2007, 02:15 PM
This is probably not the right thread, but I didn't want to start a new one and it is somewhat related in the fact that apparently Duke is making a commitment to football.

What do our peers spend on football (leaving out major stadium renovations since they are important, but more of a facilities problem). I guess I'm thinking of head coach salary, coaching staff, scholarships, recruiting, support staff...basically your yearly budget.

1) our peers: Stanford, Northwestern, Wake, Vandy, BC, etc. (private schools with fewer local alumni, some academic restrictions)

Maybe 2-4 are not that different, but they move up the scale in national prominence and I was curious about the financials of midlevel BCS teams compared too national powers...to expand this beyond just duke?

I'm not sure these numbers are available to the public and the ones that are might be laundered a little, but ball park numbers would be interesting. I'm just curious to the amount that we are talking to compete on equal footing financially with different levels of the football establishment.

Here are some numbers regarding the "big boys" and football spending in 2005-2006:

Ohio State:
Revenue: $60.8 M
Expenses: $32.3 M (includes a significant amount of facilities costs since Ohio Stadium was recently upgraded)

Texas:
Revenue: $60.9 M
Expenses: $18.4 M

Florida:
Revenue: $48.2 M
Expenses: $15.8 M

Michigan:
Revenue: $50.4 M
Expenses: $12.8 M

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2007-01-04-ohiostate-finances-cover_x.htm

uncwdevil
12-14-2007, 02:19 PM

i would be interested in this info also, along with what Duke spent last year, for comparison

Bluedog
12-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Here are some numbers regarding the "big boys" and football spending in 2005-2006:

Ohio State:
Revenue: $60.8 M
Expenses: $32.3 M (includes a significant amount of facilities costs since Ohio Stadium was recently upgraded)

Texas:
Revenue: $60.9 M
Expenses: $18.4 M

Florida:
Revenue: $48.2 M
Expenses: $15.8 M

Michigan:
Revenue: $50.4 M
Expenses: $12.8 M

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2007-01-04-ohiostate-finances-cover_x.htm

Duke:
Revenue: $8.97 M
Expenses: $9.74 M

Using this site: http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetail.asp?CRITERIA=3
Not sure how accurate it is. On that site, it says Michigan is at $50.98 M in revenue, and $14.75 M in expenses.

OldPhiKap
12-14-2007, 02:32 PM
^^ Do those revenue figures include revenue sharing from the conference?

365Duke
12-14-2007, 02:39 PM
no offer yet:confused: as of 2:09pm friday

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/830464.html

Bluedawg
12-14-2007, 02:49 PM
I mean, it's definitely true that a Tennessee newspaper has reported that Duke has offered Cutcliffe the job. However, an AP article last updated at 12:22 says Cutcliffe has told media he has not been offered the job yet. "David Cutcliffe said Friday he hasn't been offered the job as football coach at Duke." So who knows what to believe.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=ArNLilTEAGJVZbOspaO487McvrYF?slug=ap-cutcliffe-duke&prov=ap&type=lgns

Cutcliffe Says He Has Yet to be Offered Duke Job, Plans to Ready Offense for Outback Game (http://www.tricitiessports.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=79&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdetail=22342&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=1131&hn=tricitiessports&he=.com)

Tennessee offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe said he has not been offered the head coaching job at Duke and says there is no timetable for a decision to be made.

Cutcliffe and Tennessee head coach Phillip Fulmer both said Friday, during Tennessee's Media Day to discuss the Outback Bowl game, that the offensive coordinator expects to stay with Tennesseee through the bowl game.

"I'll be working to get ready for the bowl game,'' said Cutcliffe. "That will be my focus. My intent is to be here for that.''

Added Cutcliffe, 53: "It would be arrogant of me to assume I'll be offered the [Duke] job. As of now, I've not been offered the job."

Bluedog
12-14-2007, 03:00 PM
All from http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetail.asp?CRITERIA=3.

Note that the data isn't all from the same year, so the comparisons are not completely valid. I hope that it's a reliable source, but you can judge for yourself. Here it is anyways:

ACC Schools by Football Revenue

Virginia Tech $40,634,499 (06-07)
Clemson $32,029,237 (06-07)
Georgia Tech $25,331,130 (06-07)
Miami $20,769,443 (06-07)
Florida State $20,449,768 (05-06)
NCAA I-A Average $19.03 M (06-07)
North Carolina $18,147,854 (06-07)
Boston College $17,452,269 (06-07)
North Carolina State $15,300,451 (05-06)
Maryland $9,290,976 (04-05)
Duke $8,966,170 (06-07)
Wake Forest $8,834,522 (06-07)

ACC Schools by Football Expenses
Virginia Tech $26,179,089 (06-07)
Miami $18,012,074 (06-07)
Boston College $16,176,602 (06-07)
North Carolina $15,097,818 (06-07)
Clemson $13,880,931 (06-07)
NCAA I-A Average $10.35 M
Wake Forest $10,142,491 (06-07)
Duke $9,743,924 (06-07)
Georgia Tech $9,397,208 (06-07)
Maryland $9,301,052 (04-05)
Florida State $9,213,504 (05-06)
North Carolina State ??

tux
12-14-2007, 03:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3155086&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

I think this is new info...

calltheobvious
12-14-2007, 03:42 PM
So sayeth ESPN.

FWIW, I think Alleva made a good one. Cutcliffe is a great offensive mind, with a couple of pretty nice star pupils that he might mention to recruits.

Jarhead
12-14-2007, 03:44 PM
You must give us a link if you make such a statement.

crote
12-14-2007, 03:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3155086

Duvall
12-14-2007, 03:47 PM
ESPN is basing this report on the same sources that were linked here last night and debunked this afternoon. The last reliable word is that Duke is interested in Cutclifffe and Cutcliffe is interested in Duke, but no formal action has been taken.

Bluedawg
12-14-2007, 03:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3155086

Tennessee assistant head coach David Cutcliffe will be named football coach at Duke, sources with knowledge of the situation said Friday.

This was in the Knoxville paper on Thursday, he says it hasn't happened yet...

Brodhead: Duke football job still open (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/830464.html)

The Duke football job has not yet been offered to any candidate, Duke president Richard Brodhead said in an interview with The News & Observer at midday today.

365Duke
12-14-2007, 03:56 PM
please merge:(

tux
12-14-2007, 04:07 PM
please merge:(

http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2173449/

Seems to be the latest (and probably the most accurate...)

On a side note, I'd rather have a new thread --- maybe I'm doing something wrong, but none of the thread views seem very good for those super long threads....Very frustrating to navigate. What's wrong with a new thread?

Zeb
12-14-2007, 04:11 PM
If it turns out to be true, I think Cutcliffe is a great hire.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-14-2007, 04:17 PM
The Coach C's salary will be $1.5 million/year. That is probably the "package" including TV, radio, etc. and not all salary paid directly from Duke.

Classof06
12-14-2007, 04:18 PM
If this is true (which I'm beginning to believe it is), then this is great, great news. What a way to kick off the weekend :D ...

OZZIE4DUKE
12-14-2007, 04:19 PM
If this is true (which I'm beginning to believe it is), then this is great, great news. What a way to kick off the weekend :D ...

Agree 100%. And hopefully he won't change his mind after sleeping on it.

ikiru36
12-14-2007, 04:26 PM
ESPN is basing this report on the same sources that were linked here last night and debunked this afternoon. The last reliable word is that Duke is interested in Cutclifffe and Cutcliffe is interested in Duke, but no formal action has been taken.

While I acknowledge this is possible, what is your source for knowing that this is not new information(even if from the same sources). The article certainly states things more definitively than I've previously seen, including predicting a day for the official press conference as well as Cutcliffe's bowl plans.

Anyways, I hope the report is correct, but will be significantly more assured once the press conference has taken place. Actually, thanks to Billy Donovan, I'll wait at least 48 hours post presser to really feel sure it's a lock!

By anything I've read, this would seem to be a very good hire, meeting all of the original search criteria. I'm excited at the possibility. In conjuntion with a good defensive coordinator as well as the promised facilities/academic assistance upgrades, I have as much hope for Duke Football as I've experienced in about 20 years, at least.

I was certainly interested in Paul Johnson, and think he'll be successful at GT, but whatever his offensive successes, I think that a more Pro style offense is conducive to recruiting players who hope to play in the NFL some day.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bluedawg
12-14-2007, 04:31 PM
While I acknowledge this is possible, what is your source for knowing that this is not new information(even if from the same sources). The article certainly states things more definitively than I've previously seen, including predicting a day for the official press conference as well as Cutcliffe's bowl plans.

Well...this for one (http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2173449/)...

ESPN reported Friday afternoon that Cutcliffe has accepted the position.

But Alleva, reached Friday at 3:30 p.m., told WRAL's Jeff Gravley: "How can we have a coach when we haven't even made an offer?"

Alleva said the search committee will meet Friday evening.

"My hope, my hope, is we have an offer in place tomorrow [Saturday] and Sunday we have a coach," Alleva said.

Cutcliffe said at a noon news conference Friday in Knoxville, "I have not been offered that job."

Cutcliffe said he didn’t know of a timetable for Duke, and said it “would be arrogant” for him to say if he’d accept the job if offered because others have been interviewed as well.

Tennessee coach Phil Fulmer also insisted Cutcliffe has not been offered the position.

ikiru36
12-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Well...this for one (http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2173449/)...

Thanks Bluedawg ;0) I've seen it now and I suppose it's another example of the occasionally shoddy work ESPN is capable of. Oddly, it seems that the "he's going to Duke reports" are coming from Tennessee sources, perhaps. Hopefully, this may be indicative of what he's telling people on that end about his plans to accept once he is officially offered? Whatever it is, c'mon Joe, offer the guy asap, bureaucracy be darned!

In any event, I stick by the rest of my post re: my hopes and excitement should Cutcliffe's hiring come to pass.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devilsfan
12-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Go Duke!!!!

SmartDevil
12-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Still not confirmed but looks like it will go through.

Probably a good choice.

But press conference in this kind of situation should not be put off 72 hours, in this case until Monday. As soon as the parties agree, the press conference should be held by the end of the next day. Why allow time for something to interfere (such as big boost in pay at UT) and cause huge embarrassment if the decision changed?

Is this another example of Alleva's lack of professionalism? Oh well, at least it looks like he bagged someone who should make a good coach for Duke, and that's what is most important.

Lavabe
12-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Don't get me wrong. If Cutcliffe's the man, then YEAH!! But while all of this is swirling around, ESPN also reported that Hue Jackson (a coach with the Atlanta Fail-cons) was interviewed today ... which is way after we started seeing reports about Cutcliffe getting an offer. Maybe it's me, but I'd feel pretty awkward interviewing with those reports swirling around. I'm also feeling a bit awkward about seeing these reports before the search committee has even met.

It's just something about reporting on "sources" that bothers me, especially when interviews have yet to be completed and committees have yet to discuss.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Atlanta Duke
12-14-2007, 06:58 PM

Probably a good choice.

But press conference in this kind of situation should not be put off 72 hours, in this case until Monday. As soon as the parties agree, the press conference should be held by the end of the next day. Why allow time for something to interfere (such as big boost in pay at UT) and cause huge embarrassment if the decision changed?

Is this another example of Alleva's lack of professionalism? Oh well, at least it looks like he bagged someone who should make a good coach for Duke, and that's what is most important.

In today's college coaching culture a press conference will not close the deal

Les Miles is still regarded as being in the running for the Michigan job and the Magic certainly had every reason to believe Donovan was locked up.

If Cutcliffe changes his mind it will occur whether or not he wears a Duke ball cap this weekend - if he wants to solicit a counter-offer from UT before he signs up so be it.

SoCalDukeFan
12-14-2007, 07:32 PM
but I think that Cutcliffe has too much class to accept the Duke offer and then accept a counter offer at Tennessee.

I hope that the delay is just getting every i dotted and t crossed on the contract and that we do in fact have a new coach.

SoCal

Nacho
12-14-2007, 07:50 PM
http://wral.com/sports/story/2173449/

I trust WRAL a whole lot more than ESPN

Atlanta Duke
12-14-2007, 08:11 PM
but I think that Cutcliffe has too much class to accept the Duke offer and then accept a counter offer at Tennessee.

I hope that the delay is just getting every i dotted and t crossed on the contract and that we do in fact have a new coach.

SoCal

You hopefully are right

I apologize for my cynicism but after what Bobby Petrino pulled here in Atlanta I believe college coaches are capable of anything

SmartDevil
12-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Press conference moved up from Monday to Saturday, per Duke mailing to former footballers. Excellent !

Lavabe
12-14-2007, 09:15 PM
You hopefully are right

I apologize for my cynicism but after what Bobby Petrino pulled here in Atlanta I believe college coaches are capable of anything

But by now, hopefully everyone has caught on to and can prevent future Petrino-like moves.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Boswell
12-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Cutcliffe was at University Club last evening. Great guy and knows how to work the room. He's our new coach.

365Duke
12-14-2007, 10:19 PM

Probably a good choice.

Is this another example of Alleva's lack of professionalism?

Good grief, give it a rest! JA possibly just made the best football hire at duke in the last 20 years.

killerleft
12-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Joe Alleva and the committee have delivered in the clutch!

Success is never guaranteed, but there is more reason for football optimism than Duke has had in a long, long time.

As my buddy Phil and I admitted after the last home game, we would return next year no matter what. It will be much easier knowing that Duke has taken and will take steps to give our guys a chance to compete on more- equal footing with the rest of the conference and nation.

To the future of Duke Football! And here's to the players who, for over forty years, have played hard and won some well-deserved battles despite long odds against them.

Dukefan03
12-14-2007, 11:42 PM
This is a fantastic hire. JA delivered, and I have to eat crow because I did not think this would happen. Cutcliffe is exactly what we need. He is a great offensive mind who has won in the toughest conference in the nation. This gives the program leadership and credibility that it has lacked since Spurrier left. This is a homerun.

crote
12-15-2007, 12:07 AM
This is a very good hire for Duke.

He's been great during his two stints as a coordinator at Tennessee, and was pretty successful during his time at Ole Miss, one of the tougher jobs in the SEC. Cut has one of the better offensive minds in the country, and he's a whizz at developing QBs (Peyton Manning went to UT instead of Ole Miss because of the respect Archie had for Cutcliffe's QB developing abilities). I really look forward to seeing Thad grow as a player under him.

My only real concern is about Duke's ability to succeed running his offense. My biggest problem with Roof and his staff was the the offense he ran was very conventional, and very vanilla, which is sort of OK if you can win talent against talent, but disastrous at Duke. I'm of the belief that we need something innovative and maybe even just a little gimmicky to succeed on offense, something Texas Techy or perhaps some complicated spread option business. Something that will serve as an equalizer and offset Duke's talent disadvantage.

Cut is a great offensive mind, and I would hardly call his play calling vanilla, but I'm not entirely convinced that you can score a lot of points out of his schemes with inferior talent. Probably more so than with what Roof was running, but I'm still a bit concerned. Certainly we're hoping to improve the team's talent level, but for the near future that will remain a problem.

Still, though, if you're going to go with a "conventional" offensive guy, Cut is a great one to choose, maybe the best. This should be fun.

beachdevil
12-15-2007, 12:42 AM
ESPN.com is reporting that Cutcliffe is expected to bring two of the Tennessee coaches with him to Duke: Kurt Roper and Matt Luke. Both have ties to Cutcliffe from Ole Miss as well.

Roper: Assistant Coach/Running Backs. Was a QB coach at Ole Miss

Luke: Assistant Coach/Tight Ends/Offensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator. Luke played center at Ole Miss.

cspan37421
12-15-2007, 01:05 AM
It is probably a very good hire, but let's not trip over ourselves trying to throw rose petals at JA's feet. Duke made a quantum leap in what they were paying for salary, did they not? How could you not have attracted a much better candidate doing that?

But I do give him some significant credit because money isn't everything - he had to also convince targets that they weren't more likely than not risking career suicide by coming to Duke. Given recent history that's no small feat, so good job there.

DukeU3x
12-15-2007, 04:13 AM
JA possibly just made the best football hire at duke in the last 20 years.

Going way out a limb here!

365Duke
12-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Barry Wilson 13-30-1

Fred Goldsmith 17-39

Carl Franks 7-45

Ted Roof 6-45

If you take Spurrier out it may be longer.:D

And even his resume at the time is no where close to Cut's.

Bluedawg
12-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Thanks Bluedawg ;0) I've seen it now and I suppose it's another example of the occasionally shoddy work ESPN is capable of. Oddly, it seems that the "he's going to Duke reports" are coming from Tennessee sources, perhaps. Hopefully, this may be indicative of what he's telling people on that end about his plans to accept once he is officially offered? Whatever it is, c'mon Joe, offer the guy asap, bureaucracy be darned!

In any event, I stick by the rest of my post re: my hopes and excitement should Cutcliffe's hiring come to pass.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just keep in mind that there are procedures and protocols before anything can be done. JA led this search is a very professional manner and we want it finished the same way.

Bluedawg
12-15-2007, 09:06 AM
http://wral.com/sports/story/2173449/

I trust WRAL a whole lot more than ESPN

As do I

Bluedawg
12-15-2007, 09:11 AM
It is probably a very good hire, but let's not trip over ourselves trying to throw rose petals at JA's feet. Duke made a quantum leap in what they were paying for salary, did they not? How could you not have attracted a much better candidate doing that?

But I do give him some significant credit because money isn't everything - he had to also convince targets that they weren't more likely than not risking career suicide by coming to Duke. Given recent history that's no small feat, so good job there.

According to published reports (http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2007/dec/14/duke-lures-away-cutcliffe/):

Cutcliffe will reportedly make between $1.2 and $1.5 million per season at Duke

duketaylor
12-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Welcome Coach Cut!!!

devildeac
12-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Nice piece in the N&O today. I think Brodhead summarized the approach fairly well by saying(paraphrasing), that Duke was not going to compromise/lower admission standards and that all the candidates who were interviewed agreed with that approach. That would not be necessary and would not be good in the long run for the university or the FB program. I also talked with one of the IDs at CIS recently during a game, also a former FB player, and he agreed with that requirement. He also said that many of the African-American FB players who attended the 'Summit' said they would be opposed to lower standards and how they benefited greatly, not only from their Duke education, but in their careers subsequent to graduation and with the opportunities afforded them by having attended AND graduated from Duke. This sounds like a real good hire.

Jarhead
12-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Barry Wilson 13-30-1

Fred Goldsmith 17-39

Carl Franks 7-45

Ted Roof 6-45

If you take Spurrier out it may be longer.:D

And even his resume at the time is no where close to Cut's.

It goes all the way back to Tom Harp, the first HC after Bill Murray. In all that time, only Spurrier was a success.

Olympic Fan
12-15-2007, 12:10 PM
I've been one of Alleva's harshest critics (and I still have some problems with him), but in this case, I have to swallow my dislike and offer unreserved props.

Sure, he had more money and hopefully a stronger commitment from the university to offer to help him attract a new coach. That was no guarantee that Duke would end up with a good pick. Just remember a couple of Dick Baddour's searches at UNC in the last decade -- he had all the money in the world and a great state school that offered every opportunity for success and he still ended up in succession with Carl Torbush in football, Matt Doherty in basketball and John Bunting in football.

Alleva and his committee handled this season smoothly, logically and effeciently. I very much like the early push to get Paul Johnson (who was my perfect, dream hire) and don't blame Joe for failing to land him. I didn't think we had a chance before we started, but apparently we made a good run at him (and I know what Johnson said when he signed with Ga Tech, but I also know that Johnson was in touch with Duke less than 24 hours before picking the Jackets, haggling over details of Duke's offer -- and getting what he wanted).

I'm relieved that we avoided the land mines of Bobby Johnson and Karl Dorrell -- two guys who made me go, 'Ugh!" -- and I'm proud that he resisted the furur to pursue a known liar and cheat like Rick Neuheisal. I suspect the Hue Jackson interview was merely a favor to his old buddy Steve Spurrier.

Yeah, I wish he had looked at a couple of 1-AA guys (I was really intrigued by Chris Hatcher), but in the end, he made a superb hire.

Joe did exactly what he promised to do -- find a proven 1-A head coach with offensive experience.

Is it the best hire in 20 years?

Well, I have to suggest that while Goldsmith didn't work out, his resume was pretty good -- two straight 6-5 seasons at Rice (when Rice was still a Southwest Conference team and playing the likes of Texas, Texas Tech and Texas A&M every year) and a national coach of the year award.

Other than that and Spurrier (who combined a successful pro stint with his successful experience as Duke's OC), you can make the case that Cutcliffe brings the best resume since Duke stole Wallace Wade from Alabama (Murray had a lot of small-college success, but had never coached a major college team).

So, Joe, when I'm wrong, I'll admit it ... and in this case, I was wrong to doubt you. You really delivered on this coaching search.

DukeU3x
12-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Going way out a limb here!

My point was that we've had, with one exception, 40 years of bad football coaches. While it would be easy to hire someone equally bad as any of our coaches over the last 20 years, it would be very, very difficult to hire anyone worse. And, to be honest, very, very easy to hire someone better.

Alleva hired professional help, sought advice from quality active coaches, and did well this time. That doesn't mean all of the previous stumbles, bumbles, and fumbles are forgotten.

Nevertheless, he deserves a temporary detente.

Indoor66
12-15-2007, 01:51 PM
My point was that we've had, with one exception, 40 years of bad football coaches. While it would be easy to hire someone equally bad as any of our coaches over the last 20 years, it would be very, very difficult to hire anyone worse. And, to be honest, very, very easy to hire someone better.

Alleva hired professional help, sought advice from quality active coaches, and did well this time. That doesn't mean all of the previous stumbles, bumbles, and fumbles are forgotten.

He didn't hire all of those unsuccessful coaches!

devildeac
12-15-2007, 02:12 PM
I've been one of Alleva's harshest critics (and I still have some problems with him), but in this case, I have to swallow my dislike and offer unreserved props.

Sure, he had more money and hopefully a stronger commitment from the university to offer to help him attract a new coach. That was no guarantee that Duke would end up with a good pick. Just remember a couple of Dick Baddour's searches at UNC in the last decade -- he had all the money in the world and a great state school that offered every opportunity for success and he still ended up in succession with Carl Torbush in football, Matt Doherty in basketball and John Bunting in football.

Alleva and his committee handled this season smoothly, logically and effeciently. I very much like the early push to get Paul Johnson (who was my perfect, dream hire) and don't blame Joe for failing to land him. I didn't think we had a chance before we started, but apparently we made a good run at him (and I know what Johnson said when he signed with Ga Tech, but I also know that Johnson was in touch with Duke less than 24 hours before picking the Jackets, haggling over details of Duke's offer -- and getting what he wanted).

I'm relieved that we avoided the land mines of Bobby Johnson and Karl Dorrell -- two guys who made me go, 'Ugh!" -- and I'm proud that he resisted the furur to pursue a known liar and cheat like Rick Neuheisal. I suspect the Hue Jackson interview was merely a favor to his old buddy Steve Spurrier.

Yeah, I wish he had looked at a couple of 1-AA guys (I was really intrigued by Chris Hatcher), but in the end, he made a superb hire.

Joe did exactly what he promised to do -- find a proven 1-A head coach with offensive experience.

Is it the best hire in 20 years?

Well, I have to suggest that while Goldsmith didn't work out, his resume was pretty good -- two straight 6-5 seasons at Rice (when Rice was still a Southwest Conference team and playing the likes of Texas, Texas Tech and Texas A&M every year) and a national coach of the year award.

Other than that and Spurrier (who combined a successful pro stint with his successful experience as Duke's OC), you can make the case that Cutcliffe brings the best resume since Duke stole Wallace Wade from Alabama (Murray had a lot of small-college success, but had never coached a major college team).

So, Joe, when I'm wrong, I'll admit it ... and in this case, I was wrong to doubt you. You really delivered on this coaching search.

This is what makes this board GREAT and a pleasure to read (most of the time;) ). We have here a long time poster who is highly respected who will publicly admit he is wrong, apologize and then continue to contribute (I/we hope) in a quality, constructive fashion for what will hopefully be a very long time. Thank you, OF.

365Duke
12-15-2007, 02:40 PM
that means a lot in my book too.

killerleft
12-15-2007, 05:00 PM

No coach since Bill Murray has had the financial support that David Cutcliffe will have. The chances that ANY of the coaches in the last 40 years had to be successful were not very good. That Red Wilson and Steve Spurrier were able to succeed is the real surprise. I'm not sure what happened in 1994, but it sure was nice.

Duke has had a chronic aversion to succeeding in football, almost like it was beneath us to have the audacity to support a winning football team. If that mentality is at an end, we really have a fighting chance to become, at the very least, a respectable college program.

Here's to hoping that the new attitude of the Duke administration will bring the success that Duke might have been able to accomplish all along.

ArnieMc
12-15-2007, 05:45 PM
I believe that JA and friends have made the best, most important hire in Duke football history.

I believe. I believe. I believe . . . .

I believe Coach Cut will lead us to be competitive.

I believe we will win games.

I believe we will have winning seasons.

I believe we will go to bowl games.

I believe we will win bowl games.

I believe we will go to BCS bowls . . .

(Help me out here Oz! I'm running out of steam.)

wxyz
12-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Nice piece in the N&O today. I think Brodhead summarized the approach fairly well by saying(paraphrasing), that Duke was not going to compromise/lower admission standards and that all the candidates who were interviewed agreed with that approach.

But duke has and duke will, even more than now, and even as RB is denying that it is happening. It will be just like RB denying that Cutcliffe had been offerred the job. He always speaks very smoothly and well, but what he says and what is true are not particularly related.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-16-2007, 02:37 AM
I believe that JA and friends have made the best, most important hire in Duke football history.

I believe. I believe. I believe . . . .

I believe Coach Cut will lead us to be competitive.

I believe we will win games.

I believe we will have winning seasons.

I believe we will go to bowl games.

I believe we will win bowl games.

I believe we will go to BCS bowls . . .

(Help me out here Oz! I'm running out of steam.)

You're doing fine, Arnie. You don't need any help from me. But the self redacted comments I alluded to in the other thread basically said we will be bowl eligible next year. I think we win at least six games, probably seven, plus the bowl game.

Is that helpful enough for ya? :D I am just tickled blue with our football future.