PDA

View Full Version : Corey Maggette Dunk?

fuse
12-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Does anyone have a link to a video of the Corey Maggette backboard slapping dunk in Cameron that he got T'd up for?

Neither Google nor YouTube seems to have a lead on where I can find it :-(

-jk
12-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Does anyone have a link to a video of the Corey Maggette backboard slapping dunk in Cameron that he got T'd up for?

Which one?

billybreen
12-13-2007, 01:25 PM

I still have the Duke-Florida game on VHS. One of the most fun games I've seen in Cameron. Also featuring 7 or 8 Will Avery threes, a Duke record at the time.

fan345678
12-13-2007, 01:26 PM

don't have it, but I think it was against Florida (maybe Michigan, but I think Florida), if that helps

and it was nuts...jumped cross-legged from just inside the FT line...place went nuts

Burgess had a crazy reverse dunk in transition in one of those games, as well

fuse
12-13-2007, 01:41 PM
The two handed backboard slap against Florida, IIRC.

YmoBeThere
12-13-2007, 02:47 PM
I didn't think Corey could dunk. I am shocked and surprised by this turn of events.

billybreen
12-13-2007, 03:06 PM
I didn't think Corey could dunk. I am shocked and surprised by this turn of events.

Actually, in the Florida game he totally biffed a breakaway dunk. It bounced out almost to half court.

HumboldtDevil
12-13-2007, 04:29 PM
I also remember a great alley-oop in that Florida game where Trajan knocked a ball loose and chased it down just inbounds on the wing, then tossed an oop to an oncoming Maggette. Really was an incredibly enjoyable game to watch. Was that the T play? I don't know. I'll have to take advantage of being home this Christmas and find as many of those tapes as I can.

billybreen
12-13-2007, 04:43 PM
I also remember a great alley-oop in that Florida game where Trajan knocked a ball loose and chased it down just inbounds on the wing, then tossed an oop to an oncoming Maggette. Really was an incredibly enjoyable game to watch. Was that the T play? I don't know. I'll have to take advantage of being home this Christmas and find as many of those tapes as I can.

No, that play was in the first half. The T was in the second. I was at that game, on the side where Trajan recovered his steal and threw it to Corey for the oop. Definitely one of the coolest moments I've had in Cameron. I honestly think I blacked out for a few seconds, and when I came to I was jumping and holding the back collar of the dude in front of me (who I didn't know) to keep from falling. He was very understanding.

This was about a week after getting punked by Cincinatti and the Helicopter in what should have been our only loss that year (much hate for Rip Hamilton and UConn's chubby funster point guard El-Amin). It was our first game back in Cameron, and we started to show the dominance we would maintain for the rest of the regular season.

dukestheheat
12-13-2007, 05:17 PM
YmoBeThere-

It is known that I, dukestheheat, can actually jump higher than can Corey. Word.

dth.

YmoBeThere
12-13-2007, 07:34 PM
dth,

My world is spinning right now...I have no reliable reference points anymore.

:) :) :)

YBT

ugadevil
12-13-2007, 07:40 PM
That dunk is when I became a Duke fan for life. I wish I had a picture of him slapping the backboard.

I remember hearing the story about Corey and Elton talking about it during practice that day. One of them saying, "Who the f*** put that handprint on the backboard?" I love it.

Duke09
12-13-2007, 09:19 PM
That dunk is when I became a Duke fan for life. I wish I had a picture of him slapping the backboard.

I remember hearing the story about Corey and Elton talking about it during practice that day. One of them saying, "Who the f*** put that handprint on the backboard?" I love it.

Same here. SLAM magazine had a frame by frame picture of that dunk. Thats when I became a Duke fan for life too.

jipops
12-13-2007, 09:41 PM
There was also the game at UNC were Corey did a crossover on Jason Capel while driving through the hoop. With Jason practically laying on the floor, Corey slammed it down and slapped the board in the process. This drew a T as well as a chorus of boos from the Smith Center. Didn't matter has Duke blew out the tarheels by 20+.

billybreen
12-13-2007, 09:48 PM
There was also the game at UNC were Corey did a crossover on Jason Capel while driving through the hoop. With Jason practically laying on the floor, Corey slammed it down and slapped the board in the process. This drew a T as well as a chorus of boos from the Smith Center. Didn't matter has Duke blew out the tarheels by 20+.

Wasn't that in the ACC Tourney?

riverside6
12-13-2007, 09:54 PM

Well, I have spent a good part of the day looking for a video or at the very least an image of the dunk, but to no avail. I agree with the person who mentioned earlier that the Florida game was one of the most fun games to watch in some time. Will Avery had an incredible game, with 8 threes, which set the record at the time, although JJ broke it right?

phaedrus
12-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Will Avery had an incredible game, with 8 threes, which set the record at the time, although JJ broke it right?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=253440251

juise
12-13-2007, 10:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=253440251

I've said it in other threads and I'll say it again... that game was a lot of fun. It was also fun walking around Times Square that night and watching the story scroll across the news tickers... "biggest margin in a #1 vs. #2 match-up."

billybreen
12-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Will Avery had an incredible game, with 8 threes, which set the record at the time, although JJ broke it right?

Actually, Shane broke it with 9 against Princeton at Cameron during the first game of the momentous 2000-2001 campaign, another game I attended (my first game after graduation).

I don't think JJ ever broke that record. (Right, he tied it against Texas.)

theasem
12-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Dude.
I've seen the dunk on youtube.
It's Under the Best Damn Sports Show Period Top 50 dunks. It's in the latter half. I don't have time to find the link b/c I'm supposed to be studying for Finals, haha.

Skitzle
12-13-2007, 11:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjSNnQtqutk

#47 its 1 minute in

SilkyJ
12-13-2007, 11:26 PM
I've said it in other threads and I'll say it again... that game was a lot of fun. It was also fun walking around Times Square that night and watching the story scroll across the news tickers... "biggest margin in a #1 vs. #2 match-up."

I love how JJ played 37 minutes that game despite the fact that we won by 30+. I strongly dislike rick barnes.

#47 its 1 minute in

dahntay is #29. about 6:45 in...

juise
12-13-2007, 11:36 PM

#47 its 1 minute in

Dahntay is #29 (edit: Silky beat me to it)... Stackhouse at Cameron is #27. :rolleyes:

Acymetric
12-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Speaking of Dahntay...

Does anyone have some context for this picture?

http://bhanks.encblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/040307-dahntay.jpg

It doesn't look like he could've been dunking...was it a shot or something else? Anyone remember?

SilkyJ
12-14-2007, 01:37 AM
Speaking of Dahntay...

Does anyone have some context for this picture?

http://bhanks.encblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/040307-dahntay.jpg

It doesn't look like he could've been dunking...was it a shot or something else? Anyone remember?

mich st in the tourney the year we beat them in cameron and then lost in the tourney, I THINK. pretty sure he's driving baseline and just laying it in and slapping glass

juise
12-14-2007, 07:06 PM
mich st in the tourney the year we beat them in cameron and then lost in the tourney, I THINK.

Trust your hesitation. ;)

Dahntay was long gone for that tournament loss; he graduated in 2003 (Sweet 16 loss to Kansas ended the season) and that Michigan St. loss was in 2005 (Ewing's last game).

I did a quick search and found that it was most likely the opening round game in 2003 (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20030320) against Colorado State and the guy getting a facefull of Dahntay's nastiness is Matt Nelson, who was CSU's high scorer.