PDA

View Full Version : Greivis Vasquez

Wander
12-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Maryland's point guard is shooting like 23% from long range on the season. That's bad but not really post-worthy.

However, against the four teams from BCS conferences that Maryland has played, Vasquez is a whopping 1-23 on three pointers for 4%. That's awesome. Wasn't he supposed to be better than Paulus or something like that? Over/under bet: does he shoot better or worse than 10% during ACC play?

billybreen
12-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Wow, his performance is generally grievous.

riverside6
12-13-2007, 11:06 AM
He has what I call the Robert O'Kelley (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/players.asp?search=robert okelley) disease. It's what happens when your expected to be a focal point of the offense and see your shot attempts increase dramatically only to see your field goals made stay the same.

Vasquez isn't a great shooter by any means though, the key for him is to not let it affect the other parts of his game. Up to this point, I don't think it has.

gw67
12-13-2007, 11:26 AM
riverside - You are on the mark. Even though his shooting stats are poor, Vasquez is still averaging 6.2 apg and 5.2 rpg on a young team without a bunch of shooters. He has never been a great outside shooter but he is pressing because he is not getting much help. On a team like Duke where he would not be expected to be the prime scorer, I would expect his shooting and assists stats to improve.

Based on my observations, both Vasquez and Hayes are exceptional passers. If they had players like Dixon, Nicholas and Baxter on their side, their assist totals would be much better than they are now.

gw67

Wander
12-13-2007, 11:33 AM
The thing is, he's still taking a ton of three point attempts per game. I knew he wasn't a great shooter but there's not being a great shooter and then there's going 1-23, and they're two different things. He's not the main guy to blame for Maryland's struggles but he is hurting his team by taking all those threes.

gw67
12-13-2007, 12:12 PM
wander - I understand where you are coming from but last night he, Hayes, Tucker and others had numerous, wide open shots from behind the arc. I believe that he made three of them so it wasn't a horrible percentage. As long as the shot is within the offense and there are teammates in a position to rebound, I don't see an issue. He shot 32% last year from beyond the arc and he is currently shooting almost 85% at the foul line so he does have a shooting touch when he gets set.

gw67

SilkyJ
12-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Based on my observations, both Vasquez and Hayes are exceptional passers. If they had players like Dixon, Nicholas and Baxter on their side, their assist totals would be much better than they are now.

gw67

not to be mean, but duh. those guys are all-acc performers who won a nat'l title.

Now if he had caner-medley on his team, then he'd be cooking with gas. he's from maryland! no one can beat him!

rsvman
12-13-2007, 12:32 PM
1 for 32 from beyond the arc.......that's nothing.

The other day he had THREE personal fouls in 16 (count 'em) sixteen seconds. Now THAT'S some serious ballin.' That's positively Shavesque.:)

Carlos
12-13-2007, 12:34 PM
riverside - Even though his shooting stats are poor, Vasquez is still averaging 6.2 apg and 5.2 rpg on a young team without a bunch of shooters. gw67

Maryland's shooting woes make that assist total pretty impressive but they also make the rebound totals less stellar... what with all those missed shots and all.

SilkyJ
12-13-2007, 12:36 PM
That's positively Shavesque.:)

pick them gloves up son. low blow.

HaveFunExpectToWin
12-13-2007, 12:37 PM
You realize that this means he'll hit 6 threes out of nowhere when Duke visits the Comcast Center.

gw67
12-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Carlos - You're right about the rebounds. Not only do the Terps miss a lot of shots but the opposition does as well. Their defense against the shot is one of the best in the ACC and the country. Even with that qualifier, Vasquez has been asked to do a lot for the Terps and, other than long range shooting, he has performed well in most games.

gw67

dukestheheat
12-13-2007, 02:28 PM
why in the world would anybody name their baby 'greivis'. if he has a poor shooting night when maryland comes to play at cameron, the crazies will taunt him NOT as 'General Greivis' (Star Wars) but 'PRIV ATE GRIE VOUS' clap clap clapclapclap.

haha.

dth.

hondoheel
12-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Just a couple of months ago Vasquez had supposedly made Ty Lawson cry and played straight up with Kobe. :rolleyes: