PDA

View Full Version : Perception of Duke football.

Devilsfan
12-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Driving to work this morning I found myself channel surfing. I landed on sat. radio's college foorball recruiting station. I believe it was called rivals radio. The commentator stated that Duke was interested in the Tenn. O.C.,
David Cutcliffe. (This show originates in Tenn.) He said Cutcliffe was the best assistant coach in America and implied that their (Tenn,) head coach would be in miserable shape if he left. He suggested that Tenn. would be smart to "make him the highest paid assistant in America".

He proceeded to state that Duke was a basketball school and had no real interest in its football program. He called the Duke opening the "worst" job in D-1 football and compared it to rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. He may be a Tenn. fan and have an agenda, but he is on the airwaves. It's sad that this perception exists today. Hope our new coach with support from our administration and our fan base can change it.

Bluedawg
12-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Driving to work this morning I found myself channel surfing. I landed on sat. radio's college foorball recruiting station. I believe it was called rivals radio. The commentator stated that Duke was interested in the Tenn. O.C.,
David Cutcliffe. (This show originates in Tenn.) He said Cutcliffe was the best assistant coach in America and implied that their (Tenn,) head coach would be in miserable shape if he left. He suggested that Tenn. would be smart to "make him the highest paid assistant in America".

He proceeded to state that Duke was a basketball school and had no real interest in its football program. He called the Duke opening the "worst" job in D-1 football and compared it to rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. He may be a Tenn. fan and have an agenda, but he is on the airwaves. It's sad that this perception exists today. Hope our new coach with support from our administration and our fan base can change it.

And it will take both.

In another thread a poster was saying that we should not be critical of Joe during this process we should wait until after the hire is done. I disagreed.

If we are going to change this "Perception of Duke football" the we will need to rally around the new coach and give him support. Being critical out of the shoot will accomplish nothing.

wilko
12-13-2007, 04:44 PM
I had season tix to the home games last year.. And I made 1 this yr.

I dont think support is the problem, really. Tix are readily available. Thats reason enuff to consider going.. But to make the commitment to go.. when they cant get it together on the field and be competitive.. why should I?

I dont think its being unsupportive to ask for the team to give me a reason to show up and continue to care.

I hereby make this public proclomation!
If Duke starts winning football games, I will attend more games.

OldPhiKap
12-13-2007, 04:49 PM
It is fair to say that I have not been a big JA fan. But I am extremely pleased that both Coach Johnsons who interviewed basically said the same thing: It was clear to them that Duke was committed to investing the resources necessary to rebuild the program.

So, I think that perception has unfortunately been well-earned over the years. But we have good kids coming back and the right guy could get us moving in the right direction before we know it.