PDA

View Full Version : Maryland v. Ohio

SMO
12-12-2007, 08:55 PM
I'd like to take the opportunity to point out that the Terps are down 11 at the half. Too bad it brings the ACC down because I really like watching them lose.

Bob Green
12-12-2007, 09:31 PM
I hope Maryland comes back and wins the game. I gain zero pleasure from other ACC teams losing to non-conference opponents.

Karl Beem
12-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Go Bobcats!

JasonEvans
12-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Terps down 10 with 5 minutes to go, it does not look good for them.

Meanwhile, with about 5 minutes left in the first half, BC is in a tight contest with UMass.

As we saw from Al Featherstone's excellent column, how other ACC teams do in non-conference games matters. We should root for most of them, especially the decent ones who have a good shot at an NCAA bid (like BC).

-Jason "except for UNC, most of us refuse to root for them no matter what" Evans

HumboldtDevil
12-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Sorry, just can't root for the Terps to pick up a comeback win at home versus a MAC school. Say what you want about RPI and SOS, but if Duke takes care of business in the ACC and against the Heels it won't matter much if Maryland loses tonight.

Go Bobcats!

Karl Beem
12-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Bobcats by 6!:)

billybreen
12-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Meanwhile, UMass is leading BC.

gw67
12-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Most good mid-major teams value the ball and rely on three-point shooting. Not so with Ohio. They turned the ball over and only shot eleven threes, making only three of them. Instead their frontcourt completely outplayed the Terps frontcourt – outscoring, outrebounding, forcing them into eleven turnovers and, generally, out hustling them the entire game. Even so, the Terps missed at least ten open three point shots, Tucker missed a breakaway layup and they hit 2-6 free throws. A slight improvement in shooting would have brought them a victory. Of course that is the dilemma for the Terps this year. They have recruited a roster of players who can’t shoot.

I initially figured Maryland would finish somewhere between 6th and 8th in the ACC. Based on the performances so far, I would expand that downward to include 10th place. I suspect that the games against the Devils will resemble some of the Patriots blowouts. I can’t see this year’s Maryland squad keeping it close.

gw67

JasonEvans
12-13-2007, 08:38 AM
The DBR quotes the Baltimore Sun saying about this game:

“Maryland was undone by poor shooting, sloppy ball-handling and insufficient rebounding. The Terrapins shot 40 percent, committed 15 turnovers and were out-rebounded 37-27.”

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

When you shoot poorly, turn the ball over, and don't rebound you lose. Period. End of story. If Maryland is having trouble in all these aspects of the game then they are in for a truly long season.

--Jason "the Terps are likely gonna need to go 9-7 in the ACC to get a bid, and that just ain't happening unless something really turns around" Evans

4decadedukie
12-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Maryland is my sole exception in an otherwise sound philosophy of supporting ACC teams against non-conference opponents. Radio reports this morning indicate Gary Williams is taking responsibility and saying much work is required in the next ten-days, but his tone remains normally condescending and surly. I have no respect for the Terps, because they display none for Duke.

Trinity84
12-13-2007, 09:00 AM
When asked for his reaction to the game, National Championship winning coach Gary Williams replied:

" As the coach of a national championship team, expectations are always going to high, from our national championship fans. Players come here to help me - uh, I mean us, win another national championship; to add to the national championship we won. I recruit national championship players for our national championship winning program. Did I mention that I coached a team that won a national championship?"

billybreen
12-13-2007, 09:05 AM
I initially figured Maryland would finish somewhere between 6th and 8th in the ACC. Based on the performances so far, I would expand that downward to include 10th place. I suspect that the games against the Devils will resemble some of the Patriots blowouts. I can’t see this year’s Maryland squad keeping it close.

I hope that's true, but we're their Super Bowl. They'll be ready to play us.

Indoor66
12-13-2007, 09:11 AM
I hope that's true, but we're their Super Bowl. They'll be ready to play us.

Would you really want it any other way?

billybreen
12-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Would you really want it any other way?

I would prefer for us to be their Super Bowl but for us to win by 20+ every time, a la 98-99 when Shane went Shaolin Monk on Steve Francis.

gw67
12-13-2007, 09:19 AM
It is easy not to like Williams. He is wound tight, is not overly friendly with the press, hates to lose and comes across as surly after a loss. Of course, that could be said for 98% of college coaches. I thought that his comments about no excuses, taking responsibility and the need to work and play better basketball were right on the mark. I also thought the quote by the Ohio coach, Tim O’Shea, from the Maryland basketball site is very telling.

"It was 25 years ago that I played for him at Boston College. He also gave me the chance to be his graduate assistant. He was very complimentary towards our team. He showed a lot of class. I know he's disappointed. This is a tough loss for him, when he's got the ACC schedule in front of him. As a coach I can definitely feel for Gary in this situation."

I would not put Williams on my list of coaches I most admire but I don’t see him as Darth Vader either. Just my opinion.

gw67

billybreen
12-13-2007, 09:24 AM
I would not put Williams on my list of coaches I most admire but I don’t see him as Darth Vader either.

You're right. Darth Vader is cool. ;)

Indoor66
12-13-2007, 09:25 AM
You're right. Darth Vader is cool. ;)

Darth Vader doesn't sweat. ;)