PDA

View Full Version : Duke Women Honored

Bluedawg
12-12-2007, 12:51 PM
I've just heard that the Women’s Basketball Team will be the Grand Marshal for the Bahama Christmas Parade. It will be heled this Saturday, December 15. I believe the parade should be starting at 10 am...you know how parades are.

If anyone is in the area go out and give them a shout-out!

snowdenscold
12-12-2007, 02:47 PM
I've just heard that the Women’s Basketball Team will be the Grand Marshal for the Bahama Christmas Parade. It will be heled this Saturday, December 15. I believe the parade should be starting at 10 am...you know how parades are.

If anyone is in the area go out and give them a shout-out!

I assume that's the one pronounced Ba-hay-ma in northern Durham County?

Indoor66
12-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I assume that's the one pronounced Ba-hay-ma in northern Durham County?

That community name in northern Durham County is comprised of the first two initials of the area leading families: Ba = Ball, Ha = Hamm, and Ma = Mangum. Thus the pronunciation of Ba-hay-ma.

snowdenscold
12-12-2007, 03:10 PM
That community name in northern Durham County is comprised of the first two initials of the area leading families: Ba = Ball, Ha = Hamm, and Ma = Mangum. Thus the pronunciation of Ba-hay-ma.

So the family name of Hamm is pronounced like Haim ?

jtelander
12-12-2007, 04:01 PM

Close, but not quite right..

Wikipedia is your friend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahama,_North_Carolina

History

Bahama was originally settled around 1750 as the community of Balltown until the name was changed to reflect three leading families of the community: (Ba)ll, (Ha)rris, and (Ma)ngum. Another unusual name associated with the community is Hunkadora, a name for the post office here during a period of the 19th century

Indoor66
12-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Close, but not quite right..

Wikipedia is your friend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahama,_North_Carolina

History

Bahama was originally settled around 1750 as the community of Balltown until the name was changed to reflect three leading families of the community: (Ba)ll, (Ha)rris, and (Ma)ngum. Another unusual name associated with the community is Hunkadora, a name for the post office here during a period of the 19th century

Ah, the memory fails me again...but close!

ArnieMc
12-13-2007, 07:12 AM
It's amazing what you can learn on DBR! I'm a Mangum (on my mother's side), born and raised in Durham, and I never knew that.