PDA

View Full Version : My preg wife should name our baby “Tarheel”

MrBisonDevil
12-12-2007, 11:03 AM
My preg wife and I started generating our top-10 boy & girl names for BabyBisonDevil (due in the spring). I saw her list for the 1st time last night and I almost had a heart attack. :eek:

MrsBisonDevil Top-10 Boy Names Included:
#1 Rameses or Ramsey
#4 Dean
#6 Jordan
#9 Jamison

My wife doesn’t even watch college sports. :mad:

I think I’m going to make a deal with her tonight: I name all boys and she names all the girls. I hope she’ll accept… :)

RepoMan
12-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Can you say, "Ivory"? I think you need a lawyer to help with negotiations.

DUKIECB
12-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Man, hope you have the right to veto!

wilko
12-12-2007, 11:45 AM
She coulda put Maktar on the list...

I know your pain. I lobbied for a long while to get "Themistocles" on the agenda for the name consdieration committee, but got nowhere.

(Yes Im greek, and yes its a family name.. but not to THE Themistocles)

I tried..

devildeac
12-12-2007, 11:43 PM
I guess if the baby whines and cries a lot, any tarheel name would be OK:eek:

DevilAlumna
12-13-2007, 12:19 AM
I guess if the baby whines and cries a lot, any tarheel name would be OK:eek:

You'd need to name that one "Rasheed."

gotham devil
12-13-2007, 12:21 AM
I suppose it could be worse by listing classic stripper's names: Brittany, Amber, Tiffany, Jasmine, Crystal, etc.

How about giving the child a more traditional, timeless name?
Perhaps naming the child after a saint, even Michael ;) .

weezie
12-13-2007, 08:10 AM
BD, run out to your local diamond store and get her a nice shiny gift for Christmas. It will help to remind her of your eternal devotion and you can then guilt her into naming him something more acceptable, like Sue!

cspan37421
12-13-2007, 09:37 AM
I think you need to find names that have precedents for either team. Michael can be for Jordan or Krzyzewski. Matt can be Christiansen or Doherty (sp?). Vince could be Carter or Taylor. etc.

I don't know that we have a Dean, Ramses or Jamison, so see if you can get her to change to names that, in terms of shade of blue, are more ambiguous.

Jarhead
12-13-2007, 04:46 PM
No joke. My grandson's first name is Jordan, and his middle name is Perkins. His mother and dad are both Duke graduates. When they realized what they had done, it was too late. Jordan is 11 years old, and he is near 5' 10" tall.

cspan37421
12-13-2007, 04:57 PM
no problem - Jordan, as in Jordan Davidson, and Perkins, as in the library.

cspan37421
12-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Bobby - Hurley or Frasor, parents pick the association.

LetItBD08
12-13-2007, 05:21 PM

Or Ross Perkins

-bdbd
12-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Seems only fair that you should be able to nominate the following on your list:

1. Cameron (girl or boy)
2. Shane
3. Grant
4. Christian
5. Duke
6. Wade
7. Johnny (D)
8. J.J.
9. Perkins
10. B.D. (Blue Devil)

Girls:
1. Cameron
2. Elizabeth (Dole)
3. Abby
4. Alana
5. Christian
6. Chante
7. Mickie (K)
8. Nan
9. Joy
10. Brittany

In all seiousness, every naming discussion needs to have at least a couple "black balls" that you can drop around a name that you just CAN'T live with... Some of those Chapel Hell-inspired names could cause concern for inspiring spontaneously frequent beatings (just kidding). ;)

-BDBD

SilkyJ
12-13-2007, 06:45 PM
and Perkins, as in the library.

whats that?

Carter431
12-13-2007, 11:36 PM
My first child is going to be named Cameron Shane regardless of the sex of the baby.. what a lucky kid.

Son of Jarhead
12-14-2007, 01:18 AM
No joke. My grandson's first name is Jordan, and his middle name is Perkins. His mother and dad are both Duke graduates. When they realized what they had done, it was too late. Jordan is 11 years old, and he is near 5' 10" tall.

While I have enjoyed greatly giving your son grief about his choice of names for the boy, to be fair I'll point out that Perkins is a family name (a Grandmother's maiden name). Jordan is going to be tall, but I just hope he is not as slow & ground bound as his father.:D Perhaps he will inherit his Uncle's shooting touch.:)

snowdenscold
12-14-2007, 02:09 AM

Clearly they named him after Ross Perkins, right? Or maybe the library...

Lavabe
12-14-2007, 07:06 AM
In all seiousness, every naming discussion needs to have at least a couple "black balls" that you can drop around a name that you just CAN'T live with... Some of those Chapel Hell-inspired names could cause concern for inspiring spontaneously frequent beatings (just kidding). ;)

-BDBD

To tie in with another thread, I am VERY thankful I married a fellow Dukie.

As for "black ball" names, my list includes:
Antawn
Exree (okay, that was Md)
Rasheed
Henrik
Bones
Serge
Ademola
Buzz
Tywon
George AND Karl
and of course ...
Brendan.

I am also very thankful we have a daughter.

Cheers,
Lavabe

MrBisonDevil
12-14-2007, 02:29 PM

8. J.J.

I like J.J. (its my real life nickname).

My first child is going to be named Cameron Shane regardless of the sex of the baby.. what a lucky kid.

FYI: I just floated Cameron Shane by my wife. She loves it.

---

Wife just texted me: Spencer GRANT.
I'll let her go through a list of 100 names over the next couple months and I'll cherry pick the ones that have a special meaning to me (and Duke). Then we'll discuss. Heh.

Nacho
12-14-2007, 08:11 PM

1. Cameron (girl or boy)
2. Shane
3. Grant
4. Christian
5. Duke
6. Wade
7. Johnny (D)
8. J.J.
9. Perkins
10. B.D. (Blue Devil)

Girls:
1. Cameron
2. Elizabeth (Dole)
3. Abby
4. Alana
5. Christian
6. Chante
7. Mickie (K)
8. Nan
9. Joy
10. Brittany

-BDBD

My nine year old Camryn Elizabeth (or Cami) approves of your top names for girls.

My choice was "Camryn Wade", but my wife said Duke Football wasn't that good. (yet)

I thought about, but didn't even suggest that her middle name could be "Indoor" .

Since her big sister was named Kathryn for a grandmother, we thought that using the -ryn suffix again would be clever and also ensure that no one mistook her for a boy Cameron.

MrBisonDevil
03-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Update: BabyBoyBisonDevil is due in July 08 and my wife has already decided on a name: Grant Cameron.

I did not want to pick a baby name this early in our pregnancy, but to appease (aggravate) the wife I periodically tossed out Duke-inspired joke names: Shane Laettner, Nateb Adazz, Wolfgang Joseph, Shelden Battier & Grant Cameron.

She actually liked Grant Cameron. I think the story behind the name is silly; but, the name has a nice ring to it. We will see if it sticks.

Side Note: Our last name is Henderson so we may have hit the Duke trifecta.

BD80
03-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Go with Tarheel, if you ever get a visit from social services you can say it is only natural for a Dukie to beat a tarheel.

Summie444
03-06-2008, 12:32 PM

whats that?

Perkins is the name of the main undergraduate library on West Campus.

DukeDevilDeb
03-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Or Ross Perkins

One of my favorites!

And Patrick Davidson or Jordan Davidson or...?

BigDuke6
03-06-2008, 01:13 PM

1. Cameron (girl or boy)
2. Shane
3. Grant
4. Christian
5. Duke
6. Wade
7. Johnny (D)
8. J.J.
9. Perkins
10. B.D. (Blue Devil)

Girls:
1. Cameron
2. Elizabeth (Dole)
3. Abby
4. Alana
5. Christian
6. Chante
7. Mickie (K)
8. Nan
9. Joy
10. Brittany

-BDBD

You can add one more to the list for female names. My daughter's name is Trinity.

Uncle Drew
03-06-2008, 01:47 PM
I suppose it could be worse by listing classic stripper's names: Brittany, Amber, Tiffany, Jasmine, Crystal, etc.

How about giving the child a more traditional, timeless name?
Perhaps naming the child after a saint, even Michael ;) .

I could explain why I found the stripper names line offensive, but I'll just leave it alone. But one day some stripper may end up a saint and then we'll have St. Lexus or St. Bambi.

"Perkins" to me reminds me way too much of Sam Perkins to have any Duke association to it.

rsvman
03-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Grant Cameron Henderson is simply awesome!

Johnboy
03-06-2008, 10:39 PM
"Perkins" to me reminds me way too much of Sam Perkins to have any Duke association to it.

That's pretty funny coming from a person named Latta.
:)

Carter431
03-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Grant Cameron Henderson is a great name. Love it.

4decadedukie
03-07-2008, 08:49 AM
With pride, my four-month old granddaughter’s name is Cameron.
:D

devildeac
03-07-2008, 05:50 PM
I kinda figured it was because s/he whined and cried all the time and disturbed/bothered everyone around it;)