PDA

View Full Version : If NCState happens to win the ACC Tournament

NYC Duke Fan
03-10-2007, 05:51 PM
How would it effect Duke, if at all. Georgia Tech ? Florida State,(probably will not make tournament)

hurleyfor3
03-10-2007, 06:07 PM
First, wait for the buzzer to sound....

OK.

Our seed doesn't matter. We could lose to a 13 or beat a two at this point. Our rpi says we're a three; our last three games say we belong in the Nit. Seven seed, eight seed, so what? We're still in, and whatever we do there's no way we're playing uconn this year.

Fsu is Nit bound already. It was bad enough that Nevada and X both lost; now we have a madatory extra ACC team to swap in. Easiest thing to do is bump out a so-so team from the same conference.

GIT is solidly on the bubble if ncsu wins tomorrow. It seems right for the ACC to get seven bids; not sure about eight.

Kewlswim
03-10-2007, 08:10 PM
First, wait for the buzzer to sound....

OK.

Our seed doesn't matter. We could lose to a 13 or beat a two at this point. Our rpi says we're a three; our last three games say we belong in the Nit. Seven seed, eight seed, so what? We're still in, and whatever we do there's no way we're playing uconn this year.

Fsu is Nit bound already. It was bad enough that Nevada and X both lost; now we have a madatory extra ACC team to swap in. Easiest thing to do is bump out a so-so team from the same conference.

GIT is solidly on the bubble if ncsu wins tomorrow. It seems right for the ACC to get seven bids; not sure about eight.

Hi,

I agree with what you say. It turns out that NCSU is a bit better, now that Atsur is playing more regularly, than anyone thought. Maryland was the hottest team in the ACC (before they laid an egg). Carolina was, for most of the year and still is probably, considered the best team in our conference. So those last three losses are hard to judge. The ACC is brutal. It takes no prisoners. Who knows, maybe the team will find the NCAA's "easier" than what they have gone through the last month? Remember, it was only Marquette that was from out of conference that beat us. (I think that is a true statement, I didn't check the record before putting that comment into my post.)

I enjoy reading your posts. I look forward to seeing more of them.

GO DUKE!

ehdg
03-10-2007, 08:41 PM
tough call on how at State win would effect others from the ACC. But based on our season I'm sorry I disagree bout the last 3 losses. Worse then that is we went 4-7 over our last 11 games. It's not like we where rolling in those games before our last 3. This is a very young team that some of our key players where injured at the start of the seaon, Paulus & Henderson which I honestly believe slowed down their growth. We knew this year was going to be a rebuilding year but I honestly think a bit too much was expected and we where rated higher in the polls then we deserved because of Coach K and our tradition. It will be very interesting to see how we do in the Tourney. We could lose in the first or second round or go to the elite 8. It's all about how well we play and who we end up facing. Hopefully the tourney will be fun for us and the guys will gain some experience they can use for next year to build on.

dukie8
03-10-2007, 08:49 PM
How would it effect Duke, if at all. Georgia Tech ? Florida State,(probably will not make tournament)

it probably has no effect on duke because we are comfortably ahead of them. at a very minimal level, it lessens the sting of the nc st loss because we no longer have a 100+ rpi loss and our rpi is helped a little bit because nc st's record is a little better.

fsu gets hurts by it because it means that there is 1 less at large slot and fsu is right smack on the middle of the bubble. compounding fsu's problems are some of the other wins/losses today and yesterday (eg, gw winning, nevada losing, arkansas possibly winning, ksu beating texas tech and butler losing).

it shouldn't matter to ga tech.

rsvman
03-10-2007, 08:54 PM
If nothing else, it will make me feel better about the loss.

I would think it might affect the seeding slightly. The opening round loss looks a lot better when the team that beat us wins the ACC tournament.

rsvman
03-10-2007, 09:00 PM
BYU is about to be beat for the Mountain West Conference champion by UNLV, and there is no way BYU gets left out of the tournament. That popping sound you hear is that of another bubble team bursting.

This pretty much seals Florida State's fate.

dukie8
03-10-2007, 09:03 PM
BYU is about to be beat for the Mountain West Conference champion by UNLV, and there is no way BYU gets left out of the tournament. That popping sound you hear is that of another bubble team bursting.

This pretty much seals Florida State's fate.

huh? unlv is a lock, currently ranked and currently slotted as a 5 seed by lunardi. both of those teams already were in and only were playing for seeding. air force, on the other hand, is pretty much toast.

CDu
03-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Duke - No impact. We were in before, we're still in now. We'll probably wind up a 5-7 seed. We have only one loss outside the RPI top-50, and that loss is to a team that might win the ACC tourney.

Georgia Tech - Minimal impact. They were on the inside of the bubble, and should stay that way. This might leave them teetering on the bubble, but I think they're still in. The wins (UNC, Duke, BC, Memphis) look too good to be left out.

FSU - Along with some of the other tourney upsets, this pushed them onto the outside of the bubble. It's too bad for them that their PG and second-best player (Douglas) got hurt when he got hurt. They went 1-4 (essentially 1-5 since he missed most of the game he got hurt in) in a late-season stretch, all in the ACC. And they lost 1-2 games that would have sealed them as "in." Maybe the committee will consider that injury, but I doubt it.

rsvman
03-11-2007, 04:07 PM
huh? unlv is a lock, currently ranked and currently slotted as a 5 seed by lunardi. both of those teams already were in and only were playing for seeding. air force, on the other hand, is pretty much toast.
My bad. I don't follow the Mountain West that closely. I knew that BYU won the regular season and was a sure bid. Thanks for correcting my stupidity.