PDA

View Full Version : Current Cameron Chants

Channing
12-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Perhaps I am missing something - but it seems like the chants in Cameron have become almost exclusively "(insert name) . . . clapclap clapclapclap".
Thats not very creative. With some historic crazies on this board, surely we can come up with something better.

In the not so distant past we have had "Who's your daddy," "Jwil Jwil Rock You," Well Dun-Leavy, "pay your rent" and others. Any creative thinkers on board?

I have always wanted to hear a "human highlight" cheer for Gerald (note - i had the wrong item in mind - Dominique is not gerald henderson's uncle - would like to hear the chant nonetheless.

What about having the crazies point at Demarcus and chant "Markie Mark" and then point at the other team with "funky bunch"

GP are ya with me?

"Nolan's Rollin" would be a good one.

blazindw
12-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Perhaps I am missing something - but it seems like the chants in Cameron have become almost exclusively "(insert name) . . . clapclap clapclapclap".
Thats not very creative. With some historic crazies on this board, surely we can come up with something better.

It's more like "in-sert, na-ame, clap-clap, clap-clap-clap"...and yes, we can do better

In the not so distant past we have had "Who's your daddy," "Jwil Jwil Rock You," Well Dun-Leavy, "pay your rent" and others. Any creative thinkers on board?

I have always wanted to hear a "human highlight" cheer for Gerald (note - i had the wrong item in mind - Dominique is not gerald henderson's uncle - would like to hear the chant nonetheless.

What about having the crazies point at Demarcus and chant "Markie Mark" and then point at the other team with "funky bunch"

GP are ya with me?

"Nolan's Rollin" would be a good one.

Some suggestions:
How bout when Zoubek does something good, the Crazies hold up their Zs and chant "Zoooooooooou!" a la "Yooooooooooou!" from Soulja Boy. They can even crank dat Soulja Boy as they yell "Zoooooooooou!"

"Boom! Hendo (or Markie) shook the room!" after a Hendo (or Markie) dunk

"You down with GP3?" "Yeah, you know me!" (alternate between the grads and the u-grads like the "JJ Redick Dynomite" cheer)

"All hail the King" - Taylor King...you can even hold up masks of the Burger King guy, or Taylor's cutout with a crown on it...or just hold up Whoppers

"Kyle's sing-ing" - you can even actually sing this

"Scheyer's on Fire"

Some of these might be lame, but you can take them and run with them. But this was based on two minutes worth of thinking...the best cheers come up on the spot and become a major part of Devil-lore.

Jeffrey
12-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Hi,

I've always liked the simple ones that are easy enough for even a UNC fan to grasp. Against Michigan, I really enjoyed the "Harvard" chant.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

devildeac
12-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi,

I've always liked the simple ones that are easy enough for even a UNC fan to grasp. Against Michigan, I really enjoyed the "Harvard" chant.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

My daughter liked the "Haaarr-vaard" cheer against Michigan on Saturday also but she liked the "Tommy's better-clap/clap, clap/clap/clap" even more.

Lavabe
12-11-2007, 07:24 PM
"Kyle's sing-ing" - you can even actually sing this

If you check out the DUMB CD, there's a track of one of the most famous swing band tunes: SING SING SING.

If I have one issue, it's that I'd love to hear what's played during TV timeouts at home. How's the band this year?

Cheers,
Lavabe

jlear
12-11-2007, 07:24 PM
For those of you who don't think there are enough original cheers; are you at the game or watching on TV?

There has been some variety this year but much of it is during timeouts, here is some of what i remeber hearing.

Michigan Game:
Santa’s watching, make good calls
Harvard…Harvard….Harvard
ASU…clap….ASU…clap
Tommy’s better

Others this year
Singler’s Perfect
TK OHHHH
Superman that Bo (for the Wisc. Coach who did the superman dance at his midnight madness)
Marty doesn't BLEED
Marty like a rock star (started by the band)
Everybody Lance Now (started by the band)

I also hear (from my tenting kid) the line monitors and some tenters are going through every cheer to add more variety. They want to be a group that has some infamous cheers.

Where I want more variety is on Defense, we have to have something better than just jumping up and down screaming Ohhh and defense clap clap defense, but for the life of me I cannot think of any good defense cheers.

Jumbo
12-11-2007, 07:30 PM
The whole "chants for individual players" is a long-standing debate on DBR. In general, I agree that too many individual chants are bad. The witty things are the ones directed at the other teams, and spur-of-the-moment reactions to stuff that happens in games.

That said, I'd be partial to:
1) Nolan's Rollin'
2) [One side of arena]: "Jon Scheyer" [Other side of arena]: "On fire!"

throatybeard
12-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Superman that Bo (for the Wisc. Coach who did the superman dance at his midnight madness)

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

ArkieDukie
12-11-2007, 09:23 PM
The witty things are the ones directed at the other teams, and spur-of-the-moment reactions to stuff that happens in games.

Along those lines, and at the risk of hijacking a fine thread, one of my favorite Cameron memories is chanting "Ice, ice, baby!" to a player from (I think) Notre Dame who bore a striking resemblance to Vanilla Ice.

billybreen
12-11-2007, 09:24 PM
2) [One side of arena]: "Jon Scheyer" [Other side of arena]: "On fire!"

The whole call and response thing has never sat well with me, evoking "Tar" "Heels." But this could work. Seconded.

DBFAN
12-11-2007, 10:24 PM
I miss sarcastic oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that the crazies would do when someone on the other team would dunk with authority and think that they were so awesome. That would be so great to bestow that on "Psycho" when he comes to Cameron.

Jumbo
12-11-2007, 10:25 PM
The whole call and response thing has never sat well with me, evoking "Tar" "Heels." But this could work. Seconded.

I'm generally in agreement with you, because the call/response is usually something lame like Tar/Heels or Blue/White. But I'd like to think this is a bit more clever. And it mixes a different cadence into the group of cheers Cameron already uses. Any Crazies out there willing to make this happen?

devildeac
12-11-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm generally in agreement with you, because the call/response is usually something lame like Tar/Heels or Blue/White. But I'd like to think this is a bit more clever. And it mixes a different cadence into the group of cheers Cameron already uses. Any Crazies out there willing to make this happen?

I will speak to my daughter about it this weekend when she returns home for winter break:D .

mehmattski
12-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Whenever Scheyer hits a three and the announcer screams:
"Scheyer!"

I respond with:
"BAGGINSSSSSSSS"

But I think this may be a tad too nerdy to catch on.

Those who seem to think there are no more name-specific chants may have forgotten:

"JJ Redick- Dy-no-mite"
"D-D-D-D-Marc," (or "Du-Du-Du-Duhon")
"Pay Your Rent!"
"Horrrrrvaaaath... of the hiiiiiiill people"

Currently, the best name specific one is the "T-K-Oh!" chant, and of course "Zooooo." It's tough to get these sorts of things going, and in the heat of things most just revert to the familiar cadence, unless a "keeper" emerges. I'm sure if the freshman stay with us for a while they'll all get a good chant.

Jon Scheyer and Gerald Henderson are most in need of a specific chant. Let's keep brainstorming and I'm sure we can get them on the cheer sheets!

loran16
12-12-2007, 12:36 AM
Currently there's
"Scheyer's On Fire!"
"ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
"Marty doesn't foul!"

and thats about it. I miss my frosh year when we had jj-dynamite and pay your rent . But the line monitors suck at creating cheers (On the cheer sheet this year, they put for lance thomas "You got Lanced".....WTF)

snowdenscold
12-12-2007, 01:13 AM
Whenever Scheyer hits a three and the announcer screams:
"Scheyer!"

I respond with:
"BAGGINSSSSSSSS"

Oooooh... I like it!

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-12-2007, 10:14 AM
If you check out the DUMB CD, there's a track of one of the most famous swing band tunes: SING SING SING.

If I have one issue, it's that I'd love to hear what's played during TV timeouts at home. How's the band this year?

Cheers,
Lavabe

The Pep Band has seemed a little smaller this year than previous seasons. For the recent games there has been only one tuba, for example. Some of the traditional songs aren't played much any more.

Taking a long term view, I'd say that keeping the band going has become more difficult in recent years. Since it was moved to the Athletic Department, numbers have gone done. The demand for having a band present has gone up with the success and visibility of various sports. Don't know about this year, but in previous years the band director has not had access to any information about incoming students prior to their arrival on campus..... thus he can't contact them prior to arrival which makes recruiting tough. Nor has band camp been permitted prior to the semester beginning..... a staple among good marching and performance bands. As the football season begins, the band may have as few as 10 days to prepare for the first game.

I researched the status of the band last year. After learning about the difficulties in recruiting, I decided to support the band program by looking for potential band members from students headed to Duke.... you know the ones, they played in the band in high school.

If you know incoming freshman with marching band experience, please encourage them to join DUMB... this is an easy way for alums and other fans to support Duke.

bdh21
12-12-2007, 10:24 AM
The Pep Band has seemed a little smaller this year than previous seasons. For the recent games there has been only one tuba, for example. Some of the traditional songs aren't played much any more.

Taking a long term view, I'd say that keeping the band going has become more difficult in recent years. Since it was moved to the Athletic Department, numbers have gone done. The demand for having a band present has gone up with the success and visibility of various sports. Don't know about this year, but in previous years the band director has not had access to any information about incoming students prior to their arrival on campus..... thus he can't contact them prior to arrival which makes recruiting tough. Nor has band camp been permitted prior to the semester beginning..... a staple among good marching and performance bands. As the football season begins, the band may have as few as 10 days to prepare for the first game.

I researched the status of the band last year. After learning about the difficulties in recruiting, I decided to support the band program by looking for potential band members from students headed to Duke.... you know the ones, they played in the band in high school.

If you know incoming freshman with marching band experience, please encourage them to join DUMB... this is an easy way for alums and other fans to support Duke.

Two years ago the admissions department began sharing information on incoming freshmen with the band leadership. This year there was a "band camp" of sorts. There were several mandatory day-long practices before the start of the semester. The current band director is in his third year and is expending a lot of energy toward improving the band's numbers and quality.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Two years ago the admissions department began sharing information on incoming freshmen with the band leadership. This year there was a "band camp" of sorts. There were several mandatory day-long practices before the start of the semester. The current band director is in his third year and is expending a lot of energy toward improving the band's numbers and quality.

Thanks for the update! .... hadn't talked with Jeff Au in while. He did tell me that "referrals" from Alums and others would be a great help in building the sort of band we'd all be proud of. Jeff's working hard at making the band the best we can field; there were noticeable improvements as the football season unfolded.

detule
12-12-2007, 10:58 AM

On the call/response cheers: I love it when State comes to play and the three sides of the student section cheer "Big.....High....School (all together): BIG HIGH SCHOOL," partly in response (i think) to a similar chant that 'pack fans do (might be "N....C...State".)

thebur
12-12-2007, 11:00 AM
I love that one, especially if it is said with the same cadence as "RU-FI-OOOOHHHH!" from the Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman classic, Hook.

Channing
12-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Was there a "Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!" chant (ala Jerry Springer) for Gerald recently?

That might be a good one.

LanceChef
12-12-2007, 11:04 AM
We've been trying to get a "JER-RY, JER-RY, JER-RY..." chant going for Henderson, but, aside from isolated pockets within the grad section, it doesn't get too far.

Also, great thread, "No-lan Smi-ith" deserved better after playing like he did.

LanceChef
12-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Was there a "Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!" chant (ala Jerry Springer) for Gerald recently?

That might be a good one.

Sorry bout that, can't type fast enough. But I don't know if it's made it through the whole crowd yet.