PDA

View Full Version : Because I can't tell my girlfriend this

wilson
12-11-2007, 12:24 PM
She's a huge Kentucky fan. She has called me a few times lamenting their underwhelming performances, and I literally do not respond. I of course can't reply with, "Yeah, your team is not only bad at the moment, but completely irrelevant. Oh yeah, and your coach is a dirtbag."
But you know what? I love it. Sure is hard to keep my mouth sometimes, though.

EarlJam
12-11-2007, 12:47 PM
She's a huge Kentucky fan. She has called me a few times lamenting their underwhelming performances, and I literally do not respond. I of course can't reply with, "Yeah, your team is not only bad at the moment, but completely irrelevant. Oh yeah, and your coach is a dirtbag."

And based on the post, I'm assuming she is unaware of DBR? Or doesn't visit the boards? How long do you think you can keep this double life a secret Wilson? Sooner or later, she's going to find out. ;)

-Earl O' the Jam

wilson
12-11-2007, 12:58 PM
And based on the post, I'm assuming she is unaware of DBR? Or doesn't visit the boards? How long do you think you can keep this double life a secret Wilson? Sooner or later, she's going to find out. ;)

-Earl O' the Jam

Pretty sure I don't have anything to worry about with that...she's much too cool for message boards.

EarlJam
12-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Pretty sure I don't have anything to worry about with that...she's much too cool for message boards.

Good point. Good point.

-EarlJam

CameronBlue
12-11-2007, 01:00 PM
"Yeah, your team is not only bad at the moment, but completely irrelevant. Oh yeah, and your coach is a dirtbag."

Sounds like a job for Jumbo. He's kindof like DBR's junkyard dog, his talents are particularly suited for this task. :)

wilko
12-11-2007, 01:13 PM
UK likes to lament about "the shot"... I still havent forgiven them from beating us in 78, so if it causes them pain, I dont regret it in the least.

To ease her pain, welcome her in... try getting some of those iron on transfers... and add a "D" and "E" to bookend the UK so you get DUKE. The Blue is very very close, so its not like it constitutes a fullblown wardrobe change.. You could even offer to be hospitable... "If you do this for me I promise to root for KY when Duke has a bad yr..."(dont offer up that our bad yrs are still 20 win seasons)

Take her to a game in Cameron if you can...
Propose to her at the Chapel or get married there....

I think there are some life changing possibilities here..

EarlJam
12-11-2007, 01:23 PM

Or propose to her in Cameron. Tell her you are going to re-create the infamous shot but it will be much more pleasurable for her this time. Tell her you will be Grant Hill with the inbound pass. Tell her to stand at the top of the key and ask her if she can catch the pass. She will say yes. Run down to the baseline as she stays at the top of the key.

"Okay! Ready?"

"Ready!"

Then you pull out the box with the engagement ring in it and throw it to her. She catches it, opens it, then does her best Laettner impression, arms in the air, screaming in joy as she runs to give you a big hug and to tell you, "Yes."

In your mind, you hear Bob Harris scream, "Scorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre!"

Just a suggestion.

-EarlJam

mus074
12-11-2007, 01:24 PM
UK likes to lament about "the shot"... I still havent forgiven them from beating us in 78, so if it causes them pain, I dont regret it in the least.

To ease her pain, welcome her in... try getting some of those iron on transfers... and add a "D" and "E" to bookend the UK so you get DUKE. The Blue is very very close, so its not like it constitutes a fullblown wardrobe change.. You could even offer to be hospitable... "If you do this for me I promise to root for KY when Duke has a bad yr..."(dont offer up that our bad yrs are still 20 win seasons)

Wilson, I feel your pain. My fiance is also a die-hard UK blue-blood and even had the gall to joke about donations to schools whose teams beat the Devils when we first met. She has slowly come around to watching a game or two with me, but peaks out at just keeping her mouth zipped. I am sure I don't do myself any favors by keeping a clip of the shot on my BlackBerry (I don't rub it in and play it all the time, but she knows its there), but we went to a few football games this year, and I earned some points there.

So I would suggest just telling her Kentucky is really a football school now. And share your mutual dislike of Florida's undeserved recent success.

77devil
12-11-2007, 01:26 PM

Get a new girlfriend.

wilson
12-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Nobody said anything about proposals; let's get that straight. And anyway, EarlJam, if I proposed to her in that fashion, she'd render me unable to sire children. Furthermore, there is absolutely no prospect of any degree of conversion. I am content to silently revel in UK's crappy season (and recent run). It will be even more enjoyable when I travel to enemy territory in a few weeks.

OldPhiKap
12-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Wilson, I am afraid that your relationship cannot survive this impasse unless you both focus on building common, productive ground. May I suggest: hatred of UNC? I think that will work for both of you.

-- OPK, Counsellor to the Stars

mr. synellinden
12-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Get a new girlfriend.

Outstanding.

allenmurray
12-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Between wilson's and muso74's choices in women I can now understand the rise in the divorce rate.

When Mrs. Murray and I wed she didn't care about basketball at all - she is now a die-hard Duke fan. I could tolerate apathy, but I can't imagine being able to tolerate an intimate relationship with a UK or UNC fan. I would just feel so dirty.

And remember, in the words of Samuel Johnson, Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience. (This quote brought to you by someone for home hope did in fact triumph expereince).

mus074
12-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Between wilson's and muso74's choices in women I can now understand the rise in the divorce rate.

When Mrs. Murray and I wed she didn't care about basketball at all - she is now a die-hard Duke fan. I could tolerate apathy, but I can't imagine being able to tolerate an intimate relationship with a UK or UNC fan. I would just feel so dirty.

And remember, in the words of Samuel Johnson, Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience. (This quote brought to you by someone for home hope did in fact triumph expereince).

My first wife was also a UK fan. We met in March 1992, when I was at Duke and she was at UK. A relationship forged from fire.

This second time, it is definitely a triumph of hope over experience. I am ever the optimist.

The Gordog
12-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Agreed. I would never be able to live with that mess.

Bluedawg
12-11-2007, 03:59 PM

So what does that make us?

Indoor66
12-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Doesn't this belong on the off topic board?

EarlJam
12-11-2007, 04:03 PM
So what does that make us?

-EarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrlJam

dukestheheat
12-11-2007, 07:41 PM
so dude why in the world are YOU (a Duke man) dating a woman who swears total allegiance to 'them'. i'm telling you, you should get out NOW and drive away from her as fast as your (insert vehicle name here) will take you.

dth.

wilson
12-11-2007, 07:56 PM
so dude why in the world are YOU (a Duke man) dating a woman who swears total allegiance to 'them'. i'm telling you, you should get out NOW and drive away from her as fast as your (insert vehicle name here) will take you.

dth.

EarlJam has met her. He, I think, will back me up on this...I ain't driving away from this one just because she's a Kentucky fan.
Funny, her Kentucky fanhood really doesn't bother me much. A kuralonna fan would honestly be a problem, but pretty much no other team comes close for me.

wilson
12-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Doesn't this belong on the off topic board?

Originally I genuinely intended this as a discussion of the relative state of the programs. I'm surprised, yet interested, at the direction your responses have taken.
A good subject for meta-DBR, I guess.

Lavabe
12-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Or propose to her in Cameron. Tell her you are going to re-create the infamous shot but it will be much more pleasurable for her this time. Tell her you will be Grant Hill with the inbound pass. Tell her to stand at the top of the key and ask her if she can catch the pass. She will say yes. Run down to the baseline as she stays at the top of the key.

"Okay! Ready?"

"Ready!"

Then you pull out the box with the engagement ring in it and throw it to her. She catches it, opens it, then does her best Laettner impression, arms in the air, screaming in joy as she runs to give you a big hug and to tell you, "Yes."

Just a suggestion.

-EarlJam

When was the last proposal at CIS? Does the band play anything special? Has there ever been a wedding there?

It's not where you propose, it's where you get married that earns points.;)

FWIW, Duke Chapel, 4PM April 10, 1988, with chorus, organ, and bells. Pretty cool!
Cheers,
Lavabe

EarlJam
12-11-2007, 08:59 PM
When was the last proposal at CIS? Does the band play anything special? Has there ever been a wedding there?

It's not where you propose, it's where you get married that earns points.;)

FWIW, Duke Chapel, 4PM April 10, 1988, with chorus, organ, and bells. Pretty cool!
Cheers,
Lavabe

Wow! A 20th coming up this year. Congratulations!

-EarlJam

billybreen
12-11-2007, 09:07 PM

"Okay! Ready?"

"Ready!"

Just a suggestion.

-EarlJam

I love this, but you're deranged.

billybreen
12-11-2007, 09:09 PM
EarlJam has met her. He, I think, will back me up on this...I ain't driving away from this one just because she's a Kentucky fan.
Funny, her Kentucky fanhood really doesn't bother me much. A kuralonna fan would honestly be a problem, but pretty much no other team comes close for me.

I think you're also in luck because 1) we don't play Kentucky all that often and 2) Kentucky may well suck for the duration of this new regime, so it's hard to get too fired up about them. To your first point, they are irrelevant.

gotham devil
12-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Get a new girlfriend.

I agree.
Drop her off at a Wal-Mart or a Waffle House.

Jim3k
12-12-2007, 01:49 AM
I agree.
Drop her off at a Wal-Mart or a Waffle House.

Hey!! Don't insult Waffle Houses....

SilkyJ
12-12-2007, 02:24 AM
Get a new girlfriend.

HAHAHAHA. potd daddyho

dukemomLA
12-12-2007, 02:41 AM
I agree with 77Devil -- get a new girlfriend!!! Can you imagine spending your life with a Kentucky fan?? Come on boy, unless she's a 'casual' fan who really doesn't really give a sh-t, you're in for a lifetime of angst. As someone who is going to be a GRANDMA next year (YIKES!) it's not worth the effort or arguments. Love to you anyway. Best of luck.

SilkyJ
12-12-2007, 03:40 AM

yea. the doug gottlieb avatar updates are clear a indicator. on the other hand, you may be a genius.

wilson
12-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Are you all honestly serious that one should not date someone who roots for the "wrong" team? Of course I wouldn't just defer to DBR consensus on something like this anyway, but I'm really surprised that nobody has cared to discuss anything else in this thread, and that opinion seems to be so unanimous.

EarlJam
12-12-2007, 11:07 AM

Indeed. I back you up.

Wilson, folks, has found a keeper!

-EarlJam

EarlJam
12-12-2007, 11:09 AM

If only I had a dollar for every time I've heard that.....:D

EarlJam
12-12-2007, 11:11 AM
yea. the doug gottlieb avatar updates are clear a indicator. on the other hand, you may be a genius.

If only I had a dollar for every time I've heard this too......, well, insert "evil" before "genius.":D

-Mega Earl with Def Jam

EarlJam
12-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Are you all honestly serious that one should not date someone who roots for the "wrong" team? Of course I wouldn't just defer to DBR consensus on something like this anyway, but I'm really surprised that nobody has cared to discuss anything else in this thread, and that opinion seems to be so unanimous.

Honestly? It wouldn't make a DAMN to me.

Truth be told, I have known a handful of Kentucky girls, and each one of them has been very cool and very pretty. In short, I EarlJam, dig Kentucky girls. Had a major crush on one, Melissa, when I first moved to Atlanta. She loved her UK hoops but was a riot. We got along so well everyone thought we were dating. Alas, I was dating my ex-wife to be at the time so nothing happened. But had I been single, I might very well have married her.

The mere fact that Wilson's girl is a sports fan gets a thumbs up in my book. I think the rivalry thing would just make it all more fun.

-EarlJam

dukestheheat
12-12-2007, 04:13 PM
wilson!

have ye ever heard that phrase 'a wolf in sheep's clothing', or 'not everything that glitters is gold!'? she's hittin' you with her chemistry and i understand all of that, but man you need to be an engineer in this situation.

think of it later on: you got a couple kids, we're playing them and winning, and she's over there pouting and she's taught the kids 'their' fight song. i agree that it'd we worse with kerlina but dude, think about this one. sit down and think hard about it.

SilkyJ
12-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I could tolerate apathy, but I can't imagine being able to tolerate an intimate relationship with a UK or UNC fan. I would just feel so dirty.

FEEL dirty? you would BE dirty.

EarlJam
12-12-2007, 04:53 PM
FEEL dirty? you would BE dirty.

Sleeping with the enemy? Dirty? Perhaps. But something about that notion seems sinfully inticing and invigorating. "Oh, so you're a UNC fan? Well, somebody needs to be spanked!"

-EarlJam

ArnieMc
12-13-2007, 07:16 AM
But think of the bets you could make!

RelativeWays
12-13-2007, 08:09 AM
I'm married to UNC fan. Already she has gone to a Duke football game and a Duke basketball game. She'll wear one of my old Duke tee shirts around the house. She will pull for Duke when they aren't playing UNC, though mainly because I get in a foul mood when Duke loses (and I was in a foul mood a lot last season). We have a child on the way. I have scope, I have vision, I have.............plans. MUUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!