PDA

View Full Version : K'ville is open

OZZIE4DUKE
12-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Just saw on WRAL that the first squatters are camping out in K'ville for the carolina game, which is on March 8th. My hat is off to them. They're gonna need it when the 80 degree weather departs next week.

Personally, I think they're NUTS!

dukeberto
12-10-2007, 05:28 PM
indeed they are... I just hope the administration doesn't step in seeing as how finals haven't yet begun.
There is really no point in getting out there THIS early. I fear that this is going to set a precedent for later years where people are just going to be out there starting in November, when our fall season hasn't even finished yet.

Slant
12-10-2007, 05:37 PM
When I went to Duke in the mid-70s, there was no such thing as camping outside for a game. We squatted the bleachers inside Cameron for an upcoming game. We'd sit in Cameron, studying, taking shifts saving seats on the bleachers.

Of course, that was when the Cameron Crazies were really born!! There was no buffer row where the press now sits. That was all students! Can you imagine what that was like!! Unbelievable! I would camp out on the bleachers to get a seat on the front row at half court. The players would run down the court right in front of you, would inbound the ball right next to you. They created the buffer row which now houses the press because of the antics of us Crazies during the 70s.

Those were the days - Willie Hodge, Tate Armstrong, the Crow-man, Spanarkel, Denard, Bender, and the G-man and Gene Banks!!!

Could never duplicate the atmosphere of Cameron in the 70s - it was just special!!! And crazy!!!

Bluedawg
12-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Just saw on WRAL that the first squatters are camping out in K'ville for the carolina game, which is on March 8th. My hat is off to them. They're gonna need it when the 80 degree weather departs next week.

they can line up for a tent spot, but they can't "camp out" until 1/7/08

http://www.macobserver.com/columns/freeonitunes/2007/09/20070921kville1.jpg
OOPS, wrong one

http://www.littyhoops.com/images/k-ville.jpg

much better

Ignatius07
12-10-2007, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't be worried about this "establish a precedent" or anything. The date of the first tenters - like Cameron attendance - can be tied pretty closely every year to the level of excitement for that year's team. I don't think tenters were out nearly this early last year.

blazindw
12-10-2007, 06:03 PM
When I was HLM, Tent 1 set up on December 26th. This is just continuing the trend of people seeing the date that the previous year's Tent 1 set up shop and attempt to trump that.

Still remember the conversation I had that day...

"Merry Christmas, Donald. Just wanted to let you know that Tent 1 has officially set up shop"
"Merry Christmas...I'm not coming back till January 7th. You're on your own till then."

Ben63
12-10-2007, 06:13 PM
What's the other tenting game year? From what I understand there are 2 per year and Carolina is always one of them.

Bluedog
12-10-2007, 06:33 PM
What's the other tenting game year? From what I understand there are 2 per year and Carolina is always one of them.

Maryland on Feb 13 is the other tenting game. There are not ALWAYS 2 tenting games per year. Was it last year that Carolina was the only one? I can't believe I have forgotten. I think so, though.

Wander
12-10-2007, 07:07 PM
What a terrible idea.

shadowfax336
12-10-2007, 07:26 PM
The other tenting game this year is Maryland on Jan 27th. And you're correct that people didn't line up this early last year. There was one group that started right after finals and was there for the whole break, another that got there the day after christmas. The rest of the groups arrived a week or so before classes started or later. Last year I got in the friday before classes and was 14th in line, I could have gotten there on the wednesday and been 4th.
This year I'm planning on getting there on the wednesday, and I'm just hoping to be top 10...

Kdogg
12-10-2007, 07:40 PM
What a terrible idea.

Agreed! The only time we ever camped out in Decemeber was for a game played in December.

trinity92
12-10-2007, 07:58 PM
I prefer my sophomore year non-tenting experience. I was woken up one weekend morning by a tap at my window on central campus. It was a soon-to-be fraternity brother with Carolina tickets in hand, asking if it wasn't too early for me to hop in his car and take a ride to Cameron.

My second carolina game at Cameron-- unfortunately we lost both.

Bluedog
12-10-2007, 08:01 PM
The other tenting game this year is Maryland on Jan 27th. And you're correct that people didn't line up this early last year. There was one group that started right after finals and was there for the whole break, another that got there the day after christmas. The rest of the groups arrived a week or so before classes started or later. Last year I got in the friday before classes and was 14th in line, I could have gotten there on the wednesday and been 4th.
This year I'm planning on getting there on the wednesday, and I'm just hoping to be top 10...

Jan 27th is the game AT maryland. The home game vs. maryland is feb 13.

DomerDevil
12-10-2007, 08:07 PM

They're not nuts. They're crazy. :) LOL I love the enthusiasm, as nuts/crazy as it might be.

tombrady
12-10-2007, 08:22 PM
When I went to Duke in the mid-70s, there was no such thing as camping outside for a game. We squatted the bleachers inside Cameron for an upcoming game. We'd sit in Cameron, studying, taking shifts saving seats on the bleachers.

Of course, that was when the Cameron Crazies were really born!! There was no buffer row where the press now sits. That was all students! Can you imagine what that was like!! Unbelievable! I would camp out on the bleachers to get a seat on the front row at half court. The players would run down the court right in front of you, would inbound the ball right next to you. They created the buffer row which now houses the press because of the antics of us Crazies during the 70s.

Those were the days - Willie Hodge, Tate Armstrong, the Crow-man, Spanarkel, Denard, Bender, and the G-man and Gene Banks!!!

Could never duplicate the atmosphere of Cameron in the 70s - it was just special!!! And crazy!!!

were there kegs on the quad back then too?

zingit
12-10-2007, 08:29 PM
What a terrible idea.

I agree. My tent captain wanted us to follow them and get out there this week, and I said no way can I do that. People, it is FINALS WEEK. There's Cameron Crazy, and then there's Cameron Stupid. This is the latter.

OK, back to studying . . . sigh . . .

Duvall
12-10-2007, 08:34 PM

Who served the beer?

Wander
12-10-2007, 08:42 PM
I agree. My tent captain wanted us to follow them and get out there this week, and I said no way can I do that. People, it is FINALS WEEK. There's Cameron Crazy, and then there's Cameron Stupid. This is the latter.

Yeah... whenever Kville eventually gets banned or massively readministered, it's going to be because of things like this.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Who served the beer?

Uncle Terry :D

Posts: 757 Guess I'm flying high on this beer (Bud Light, Please!) post

devillighter
12-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Our group started tenting Friday and are Tent 2. We were shocked that another tent came out the day before... The ridiculously warm weather forecasted for this week was definitely a consideration for coming out this early. If it were cold out or raining we'd be inside studying for our finals.

With that being said, my tent captain is one of the most conscientious students I have ever met, and we are taking our academics and finals very seriously. It's actually been better for me personally, getting me out of bed at 7:30 rather than noon, which is my norm in finals weeks past.

The rules are simply two people from 8 to 5 each day until real tenting starts in January...

I am looking forward to my final game as a student in Cameron being a victory over Carolina!

Please stop by and say hello!

LetItBD08
12-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Can you guys honestly think of a better place to study than a wide open, peaceful K-ville in 70+ degree weather? The answer by the way is no.

That being said I have stopped by and told devillighter and the other soon to be tenters out there that they're ridiculous.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Our group started tenting Friday and are Tent 2. We were shocked that another tent came out the day before...

The rules are simply two people from 8 to 5 each day until real tenting starts in January...

I am looking forward to my final game as a student in Cameron being a victory over Carolina!

Please stop by and say hello!

Hello!

WRAL showed you again on the 11 pm news. They did pose this question: Will you be out there over the entire Christmas break?

As to your final game as a student, from your lips to God's ears!

throatybeard
12-11-2007, 07:00 AM
Everything was so much better when I was 20, let me tell ya.

"Rock achieved perfection in 1974. It's scientific fact." --- Homer Simpson

PS -- 80 degree temperatures at Christmas? Utterly disgusting. Nasty sticky ugh.

III
12-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Yeah, I'm out there with devillighter as part of Tent 2. The weather has been amazing, and I've had no problem studying. I've got an exam tonight, so we'll see then if this has been detrimental or not. Somehow I doubt it. Fair enough point on pushing back the envelope each year. It's partly to do with the fact that the "black tenting" rules changed last year to be much easier, and people are just now starting to embrace that, but I can see it getting more and more ridiculous. On the other hand, I think it's awesome how excited people are this year. We've got some great things in store for the coming months, and Krzyzewskiville is just going to be an awesome experience this year.

Back to studying math on the best patch of (yellow, dry) grass on campus.

Bluedawg
12-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Hello!

WRAL showed you again on the 11 pm news. They did pose this question: Will you be out there over the entire Christmas break?

As to your final game as a student, from your lips to God's ears!

My understanding, talking with the current crop of tenters, is that someone does have to be there, as long as they were being straight with me.

TillyGalore
12-11-2007, 09:23 AM
I walk by K-ville on my way to and from the gym and am always slightly jealous. If I were a Duke student I'd be out there too. So if you don't mind, I'm going to live vicariously through you. :)

For your sakes, I hope it doesn't get too cold out there.

Enjoy!

LetItBD08
12-11-2007, 09:32 AM
TillyGalore - Please introduce yourself! I'm not out there right now, but I have been stopping by to hang out from time to time in between studying. A lot of the students out there check DBR. Let me extend that to other posters in the area also. For a while now, whenever I talk with my friend about DBR he always says how much he wants to meet Ozzie (he graduated though, but I'd still like to meet you).

wilson
12-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Guess I'm flying high on this beer (Bud Light, Please!)

Well now, which one is it? Are you having beer, or are you having Bud Light?;)

OZZIE4DUKE
12-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Let me extend that to other posters in the area also. For a while now, whenever I talk with my friend about DBR he always says how much he wants to meet Ozzie (he graduated though, but I'd still like to meet you).

Gee, I'm honored. I feel like such a celebrity!

Next time I'm on campus I'll stop by. It may not be until the Albany game, and y'all will probably be in Cameron by the time I get to campus, but I'll stop by.

Before last year's carolina game, when Jay Bilas was there with the ESPN Game Day crew, I tried to teach Crazies a cheer that you may have heard from time to time. It's always appropriate, and always in good taste!

TillyGalore
12-11-2007, 09:44 AM
TillyGalore - Please introduce yourself!

Will do! Will you be out there Christmas week? I'm going "home" next week and with the craziness of this week won't be at the gym. :(

grc5
12-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Usually I'm all for fan enthusiasm, but this is getting a little ridiculous. I wonder if the tenters would be out this early if:

1. We brought back Black Tenting, which required 10 students at night and eight students during the day

2. The line monitors no longer recognized Pre-Blue tenting, in which case the self-policing tenters would likely come up with a much more stringent criterion than 2 tenters from 8am-5pm

You kids have it easy these days.

Anyway, thanks for making me the laughing stock of my workplace, Crazies :p

77devil
12-11-2007, 10:46 AM

That would be Crow-bar.

Slant
12-18-2007, 11:15 AM
were there kegs on the quad back then too?

You better believe there were kegs on the quad back then. Now when I visit campus, and go by the quad, it is like a ghost town on weekends. Back in the 70s, we partied and hung out by our dorms and frat sections. Those were great days. A real sense of community as students.

SharkD
12-18-2007, 12:56 PM
PS -- 80 degree temperatures at Christmas? Utterly disgusting. Nasty sticky ugh.

Let's see, yesterday's high was 42, overnight low was 22 and today is a balmy 44. I wonder if they're reconsidering.

Channing
12-18-2007, 01:20 PM
You better believe there were kegs on the quad back then. Now when I visit campus, and go by the quad, it is like a ghost town on weekends. Back in the 70s, we partied and hung out by our dorms and frat sections. Those were great days. A real sense of community as students.

while Kegs on the quad were done away with a while ago, the downfall of the west campus social scene occured between my sophomore and junior years (01/02 - 02/03) when they realigned west campus.

blazindw
12-18-2007, 02:05 PM
while Kegs on the quad were done away with a while ago, the downfall of the west campus social scene occured between my sophomore and junior years (01/02 - 02/03) when they realigned west campus.

Amen. I remember my freshman year (00-01) just having to get off the bus and look down the quad and know where the parties were. Sophomore year in Mirecourt, the weekends we had were amazing, especially when we threw parties ;)

The quad-based system has forever changed the Duke social scene.

throatybeard
12-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Amen. I remember my freshman year (00-01) just having to get off the bus and look down the quad and know where the parties were. Sophomore year in Mirecourt, the weekends we had were amazing, especially when we threw parties ;)

This is really funny to me (not laughing at you particularly, Blazin), because my group made the same exact same complaint, comparing 1995 (rocking) and 1998 (dead and lame). And Bill Werber served the beer.

"Rock achieved perfection in 1974, it's scientific fact." ---Homer Simpson

OZZIE4DUKE
12-18-2007, 07:11 PM

Realigned the campus? Is it no longer shaped like a cross? I hadn't noticed!

throatybeard
12-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Let's see, yesterday's high was 42, overnight low was 22 and today is a balmy 44. I wonder if they're reconsidering.

Ah yes, those brutal Siberian winters in the... American South. The poor wittle kiddies, I hope they survive.

LetItBD08
12-19-2007, 11:11 AM
They only have to be there from 8-5. Trust me, they're not reconsidering.

In case you guys are interested, we put together a tenting timeline this year to deal with the inevitable confusion/questions about tenting from both students and Duke fans.

http://student.groups.duke.edu/images/1/1c/Timeline.doc

shadowfax336
12-31-2007, 01:08 PM
any idea how many tents are in k-ville now?

LetItBD08
12-31-2007, 01:13 PM
As of a couple days ago there were still the same three tents that have been out there for a couple of weeks.

Tent 1's blog...http://web.mac.com/andersc/Tent_Blog/Blog/Blog.html
"We’re still waiting for Tent 4 to get out here!" 12/27

It'll pick up right after New Years I'd imagine.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-31-2007, 01:49 PM

Of course, that was when the Cameron Crazies were really born!! There was no buffer row where the press now sits. That was all students! Can you imagine what that was like!! Unbelievable! I would camp out on the bleachers to get a seat on the front row at half court. The players would run down the court right in front of you, would inbound the ball right next to you. They had created the buffer row which now houses the press because of the antics of us Crazies during the 70s.

It seems that every generation of Duke students sees themselves as the beginning of the Cameron Crazies. BBC (Before Becoming Cameron Indoor Stadium), Duke students were innovative and clever in their treatment of visitors. I used to think that this special spirit started with my generation (W '67)..... Mullins, Lewis, Reidy, Verga, Vacendack and more. There was a Kappa Sig named Doug Hinds who brought a rubber chicken to the games and used it as he addressed officials whose calls he deemed inadequate or inappropriate. There were others who dressed in the striped shirt of the officials and rated the calls on a 1-10 point system, just like Olympic events. Then there was the matter of how we greeted visiting players as they were introduced. When the lights were cut down for the introductions, there was a heavy, ethereal haze caused by the smoking in the arena. As each guy was introduced in the spotlight, we'd welcome him him with, "Who's he?" This greeting was stopped eventually when one of the Duke authority figures (don't remember which one) spoke before a game and explained that it just wasn't the "Duke way" to greet in such an unfriendly fashion. As for getting good seats, you had to get there early. For the first year or so I got there prior to the freshman game. Following their own game, the freshman team sat immediately behind the varsity during the varsity game. I sat behind the freshman team. Another season I chose the front row of the end zone where the teams exited... same end zone where the male Carolina cheerleader created an incident at halftime by "whacking the butts" of his own team, then without thinking whacked Art Heyman as he ran by to the dressing room. Eventually I ended up sitting with the KA's who, like most fraternities, sent someone early to stake out their chosen area.

A few days ago I bought Al Featherston's recent book The Game of My Life. I now stand corrected. During Frank McGuire's rein at Carolina, Duke students would mimic McGuire's attire and behavior.... wearing suits and ties... adjusting, pulling at the ties and cuff links, just as ole Frank did. Perhaps someone who was there when Dick Groat played can tell what the students did then.

shadowfax336
01-01-2008, 02:26 PM
although apparently there was grace given today cuz my friend and I are the only ones here...

dukeberto
01-01-2008, 04:22 PM
haha yeah, its NEW YEARS DAY! go out and celebrate! I should be back up in Durham either tomorrow or Thursday so just wait for the random bull horn noises

CrazyCat
01-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Well, I hope all you tenters have fun. I am sure everyone will get their studying done. Y'all stay warm.

trinity92
01-03-2008, 03:21 PM
This is really funny to me (not laughing at you particularly, Blazin), because my group made the same exact same complaint, comparing 1995 (rocking) and 1998 (dead and lame). And Bill Werber served the beer.

And when I arrived on campus in 1988, the seniors lamented how Duke was completely boring compared to when they got there-- "Man you should have seen it when we had kegs on the quad. Duke has gotten so lame, and I could never get in now."

Proves you don't have to be old to yearn for the good old days. At least we'll be able to use "aught/ought" when we tell our grandchildren our bad weather stories:

Grizzled Devil (thumbs in suspenders on the porch) "let me tell you chillun about the blizzard of aught-8"
Grandkids: "not again grampa!"

The Gordog
01-03-2008, 04:05 PM

Seriously, what is the quad based system

Class of '86 (... just missed the last year you could get beer on points in the CI - and the football players had unlimited food points, so...)

dukepsy1963
01-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Forgive me...I am an ancient Dukie.... What does "realigned" mean? (simple terms please....:))