PDA

View Full Version : Enchanted

JBDuke
12-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Saw this new Disney release a couple of days ago, and I had a good time. For those that don't know anything about it, it's a movie that starts off in what appears to be a classic Disney princess tale (Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc.), but the evil queen, in a bid to keep her throne, tricks the would-be princess, Giselle, before she can marry the handsome prince, and sends her to the real world - which is when the movie becomes live action. Stranded in Manhattan, Giselle is a complete fish out of water until she's found and taken in by a father and his daughter. Meanwhile, the prince pursues his betrothed into our world, and begins his quest to find her so that they can return home and live the happily-ever-after life they were destined to live.

It's clever, and Disney wasn't afraid to poke fun at their own stereotypes. The story is pretty predictable, but that shouldn't be a surprise. So, if you know where the story's going, the question becomes is it still worth the ride? For my money, this one is, although there were a few shortfalls. The music, courtesy of Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz is just okay, IMO. (Adding evidence to my theory that Howard Ashman was the genius of the Ashman/Menken pairing that did the songs for "The Little Mermaid", "Beauty and the Beast", and "Aladdin"). The songs, like the movie, are more clever than original or compelling. And a Disney princess movie with mediocre songs just isn't going to become a classic, I'm afraid.

Still, there are some good performances. Amy Adams (who I'll admit to having a slight crush on) really sells it here. She has to be completely believable as a come-to-life Disney princess, and she pulls it off. She's beautiful and sings pretty darned well, and has a wide-eyed innocence that works perfectly for Giselle. Patrick Dempsey plays the single dad that finds her on the streets and takes her home. James Marsden has a fun time as the dashing Prince Edward. Susan Sarandon goes completely over the top as the evil queen. And Timothy Spall is the toady henchman of Edward who is actually working on behalf of the queen.

The MPAA has rated this one PG, which is a bit of a stretch, IMO. It's pretty solid family fare. Yes, there are a couple of double-entendres, and there's some scary violence - but nothing I found the least bit objectionable.

Overall, I give it a 7/10. That makes it worth the price of admission for me as an adult, but probably not a film I'll look to add to my DVD collection. I suspect plenty of kids will like it - especially slightly older girls that can appreciate the irony of a Disney princess in the real world. But even younger kids can enjoy the film at its most simple level.

If you're looking for a good family film this Christmas season, you could do a lot worse than "Enchanted".

hc5duke
12-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Amy Adams is in it? I'm sold :)