PDA

View Full Version : Long Post: End of Season Discussions

sagegrouse
03-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Here is the end-of-the-season discussion between Coach K and each of the players. Usually, it is after everything is over, but in 1990, following a comparable debacle in the ACC Tournament, K conducted exit interviews with each of the players as though the season were over. They responded by carrying the team to the final game against UNLV. Under the same circumstances, here is how the discussion with each of the players will go, beginning with the freshmen.

(Coach, don’t bother with attribution – just use whatever you want.)

Henderson: Gerald, you were one of our best players at the end of the season. You showed comfort and skills – and explosiveness – on both offense and defense. You need to work on your strength, and you need to improve your team skills on offense and defense. Also, there’s one thing more, and your Dad can help you with this. You need to be prepared for the “Swift Boat” campaign that fans and media in the ACC will wage against you because of the foul on whats-his-name. It should make you a better player – as it did JJ – but it is totally up to you.

Zoubek : Brian, I think you received the worst officiating calls of any player in the country. If you held the ball for more than one second, the refs whistled a turnover. The reason is that you looked hesitant and tentative. And you weren’t strong enough to keep your position on the blocks. You can be both a defensive and offensive force for this team. You need to be much, much stronger. That strength will also help your comfort in the blocks and your quickness in both offensive and defensive moves.

Scheyer: Jon, for the first half of the season you were our most consistent player. You need to be much, much stronger, and you can be if you work on building up your body, your strength, and your stamina. Look at what JJ accomplished. You can be an All-American at Duke. I know I don’t have to tell you to continue your hard work on ball-handling and shooting.

Thomas: Lance, your contributions this year were primarily on the defensive end, and because of your skills, you earned a lot of minutes. You need to be bigger and stronger to take the next step in building your game. You should build 15-20 pounds of muscle and achieve greater stamina. At the same time, I want to see you as an offensive presence whenever you are on the court. Most of your scoring opps will be around the baskets and on lay-ups and dunks, but you should also work on your shooting.

Pocius: Marty, you saved the best for last. Your offensive play against State was the only thing that kept us in the game. You can be an offensive force on this team and in this league. You need to keep playing and work on letting the game come to you – without losing your explosive moves to the hoop. This means better passing and better decision-making. On defense, JD will work with your positioning and other techniques.

McClure: Dave, you have had a phenomenal improvement in both skills and strength since your freshman year. I realize now how much you could have helped last year’s team win the NC. Your skills are like Sean’s in terms of defense, ball-hawking, and rebounding. But you need an offensive game to go with your all-around court play. You should work primarily on shots and moves around the basket, but you should also have a mid-range jump shot.

Paulus: Greg, for the last month you have been our best and most consistent player. Keep it up! You will want to work on your strength and on providing more vocal leadership.

McRoberts: Josh, you have the best running and passing skills of any big man here since Danny. You need to work on your offensive skills – footwork, shots around the basket, short turnarounds and hooks, and mid-range jump shots. We expect you to score 15 ppg next year, and it may be possible for you to reach 20. Your defense needs to improve, and to improve in a team context. Moreover, if your Duke career is only two years, anything I say also applies to the NBA.

Nelson: Markie, you were our best on-the-ball defender this year and a mainstay of the offense. From you, we need more vocal leadership (as our only senior next year), better decision-making and shot selection, and a better handle with the ball. You know the kind of drills you can do to improve your handle, and JD will work with you over the summer to help. On your shot, as we have discussed, you need more fingertips and less palm, which will help both FT shooting and your longer shots. The off-season is the right time to work on shooting form.

(It’s amazing how much time I have when my team is out of the tournament.)

Sage Grouse

feldspar
03-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Sorry, but I've never seen Zoubek get a travel call he didn't deserve.

Other than that, agreed.

hurleyfor3
03-10-2007, 02:07 PM
In all the time I have been following Duke basketball this does seem to be the one season that was "over" before it really ended. 1990 and even 1995 were nothing like this.

cbarry
03-10-2007, 02:53 PM
In all the time I have been following Duke basketball this does seem to be the one season that was "over" before it really ended. 1990 and even 1995 were nothing like this.
Hate to say it, but I totally agree. Pretty disappointing end of the season (losing 7 out of last 11 games, maybe 8 out of last 12). I'm already looking forward to NEXT year.

It's hard to see Carolina doing so well when we are so down this year. Unfortunately, I don't see them being challenged for the National Championship this year, and will never hear the end of it from co-workers. My Tar Heel wife IS a good sport though, unlike most UNC fans.

wiscodevil
03-10-2007, 03:19 PM

Duke will get to the sweet sixteen with a huge round two upset over a 1 or 2 or 3 seed. Mark my words.

bhd28
03-10-2007, 03:35 PM
I thought Josh's defense was pretty good other than a couple of games. He was first team all ACC defensive (the only one on the team). Should/can he improve? Sure he should (and can)... especially by getting stronger, as his trouble is usually when stronger defenders muscle him in the post... once a guy has you one-on-one inside of 5 feet, it is pretty much over no matter who you are (even Shelden had trouble at that point). That said, he was viewed by most as our best defender.

sagegrouse
03-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Sorry, but I've never seen Zoubek get a travel call he didn't deserve.

Other than that, agreed.

This was designed to be a motivational passage -- therefore, a bit of license. The operational point is that he is "hesitant and tentative," which really draws calls.

Sage Grouse

Bob Green
03-10-2007, 05:09 PM
I thought Josh's defense was pretty good other than a couple of games. He was first team all ACC defensive (the only one on the team). Should/can he improve? Sure he should (and can)... especially by getting stronger, as his trouble is usually when stronger defenders muscle him in the post... once a guy has you one-on-one inside of 5 feet, it is pretty much over no matter who you are (even Shelden had trouble at that point). That said, he was viewed by most as our best defender.

I disagree that McRoberts is our best defender. Take a look at a couple of our key victories (BC & GT) and compare them to our last two losses (Carolina & State). Against BC, we shutdown 6'7" Dudley (McClure). Against GT, we shutdown 6'5" Crittenton (Nelson). Carolina burned us with their big men, 6'9" Hansbrough 26 points, 6'8" Terry 15 points, & 6'9" Wright 10 points. State also burned us inside, 6'9" Costner 30 points & 6'10" McCauley 15 points. However, Atsur also scored 21. Our interior defense is vulnerable. We match up very good against teams whose main offensive threats are wing players or big guards due to the fact, IMO, that McClure & Nelson are our best defenders. Teams with the ability to pound the ball inside give us fits.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

bhd28
03-10-2007, 05:58 PM
I disagree that McRoberts is our best defender. Take a look at a couple of our key victories (BC & GT) and compare them to our last two losses (Carolina & State). Against BC, we shutdown 6'7" Dudley (McClure). Against GT, we shutdown 6'5" Crittenton (Nelson). Carolina burned us with their big men, 6'9" Hansbrough 26 points, 6'8" Terry 15 points, & 6'9" Wright 10 points. State also burned us inside, 6'9" Costner 30 points & 6'10" McCauley 15 points. However, Atsur also scored 21. Our interior defense is vulnerable. We match up very good against teams whose main offensive threats are wing players or big guards due to the fact, IMO, that McClure & Nelson are our best defenders. Teams with the ability to pound the ball inside give us fits.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan
Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I am just saying that Josh was voted 1st team all ACC defense. So most people with a vote for that think he is our best defender. Maybe McClure and Nelson are best. In my opinion, they both have good games and bad, strengths and weaknesses (same as Josh and most others). Yep, NCSU and UNC killed us inside. As did MD. You say we got killed inside and most people say quick guards are our trouble. My question is who does McClure guard? Costner was his guy the vast majority of the time (McCauley was who Josh guarded mostly... he had a pretty good game as well). McClure had one of the bigs at MD and at UNC as well. He doesn't guard the opposing wing. Nelson is usually put on the quickest opposing guard.... with mixed results. When he guards wings, he does great. In my opinion, McClure is a great team defender but not great on his guy. He is 'good' on his man, but I don't think superior to Josh. Josh mainly gets in trouble because he gets out-muscled at times, but in general he does pretty well.

Of course if you believe most on these boards, Josh shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an NCAA court (he is the sole reason for poor defense by Duke, he can't shoot, can't score, is a turnover machine, looks lost, whines, throws the ball at the hoop, etc...). Some of those are valid, some aren't... but it is pretty amazing someone so helpless is the only guy on the team to make all ACC 2nd team and defensive all ACC 1st team.

I just hope he sticks around next year. I know I would... why go to the NBA to be bashed if you don't meet expectations when you can stay at Duke and get all of this support (with merely constructive criticism)?

phaedrus
03-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Of course if you believe most on these boards, Josh shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an NCAA court (he is the sole reason for poor defense by Duke, he can't shoot, can't score, is a turnover machine, looks lost, whines, throws the ball at the hoop, etc...).

replace Josh with Greg for the first half of the season and with Demarcus for the month of February. It's just Josh's turn to be the scapegoat.

bhd28
03-10-2007, 06:19 PM
replace Josh with Greg for the first half of the season and with Demarcus for the month of February. It's just Josh's turn to be the scapegoat.

True pahedrus... though I think Greg and Josh have gotten the brunt of most criticism. I guess it comes with being captains (which Nelson, Greg and Josh are).... kind of sad really.

PS. Bob, I don't mean any of the last paragraph of my last post or any of this post to be directed towards you. You have always been exceptionally positive and I almost always agree with your comments. It is meant towards the tone of the board towards some players... which I think is a bit over the top.

Bob Green
03-10-2007, 07:17 PM
bhd28,

No problem. I didn't interpret your post as being directed toward me. I agree 100 %, we are all entitled to our own opinion. The challenge for McClure is that he is 6'6" but routinely has to guard a 6'9" player such as Costner or Hansbrough. I believe the situation will be different next year. With a summer in the weight room and on the court playing pick-up games, I expect Lance Thomas to improve dramatically and turn his energy into effective play on both ends of the court. Zoubek will improve as well. That should free McClure up to guard our opponents wing player.

To expound on Thomas. He seems to have had a hard time adjusting to the college game as a freshman, but he has the physical attributes to develop into a long & lean interior player. Once he solves his foul trouble problem and improves his offensive skills, he has the potential to become dangerous. I'm pulling for him and I'm sure everyone else, on the board, is also.

I'm excited to see our seed and 1st round match-up. I refuse to concede the season and believe we can still make some loud noise in the Big Dance. Go Duke!!!

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

bhd28
03-10-2007, 07:25 PM
I agree with you totally Bob... I also expect Josh (if he does stay) to get stronger and be much better against strong post players. Theoretically, he should be more explosive as well... as most athletes I know who have had back issues have said it takes a year to get your 'pop' back. You would be amazed what some heavy squats and plyometrics training can do for your jumping ability. Josh should be stronger and more explosive next year.

Bob Green
03-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Unfortunately, Josh will be in the NBA. That's just my opinion but I truely believe he will leave. If he stays, he should be the 15-18+ ppg player we all expected this year. I agree it takes significant time to recover from back surgery. I also will not be suprised if Jumbo is correct and after the season we find out Greg's foot never fully healed. Duke routinely doesn't discuss injuries. I read a quote from Coach K where he stated that discussing injuries comes across like making excuses.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

coblue
03-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Coach
You have had a remarkably busy year and have had success with many of your efforts. It has been fun to watch you and see the energy you have tried to bring you young kids. However, despite your efforts to change and adapt to teaching this teams youth, you have remained inflexible and stubborn in your philosophy. You have 12-14 guys and they are not here to just help people grow in practice. 10 or more of them have the belief that if they work hard they will get to play - and they should play, but more, they need to play to compete with the elite schools and coaches in today's game. You have done a good job to assemble a group of good kids with much potential for next season. You now need to adapt to today's college game by going more uptempo on offense and play more kids in a flexible rotation. Please continue getting stronger and taking care of your health and bring back those motivational button pushings to get these men burning to prove themselves to the world.