PDA

View Full Version : "Duke football can achieve excellence"

Bluedawg
12-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Interesting comments from Jon Jackson (http://www.heraldsun.com/opinion/columnists/guests/68-905361.cfm), associate director of Athletics/Communication at Duke

Like many of its peer institutions, Duke is indeed limited in the pool of student-athletes whom it can recruit. However, there are enough quality student-athletes across the United States to field a winning football team. The identification, successful recruitment and the development of these student-athletes are the critical ingredients to the program's success. So is hiring the right coach who fits the current needs of the program.

A financial investment in the program, from facilities upgrades to hiring a proven coaching staff, is imperative in the process of reviving Duke football. In any organization, adequate resources need to be in place in order to move in a positive direction. Those resources, including additional staff and an increased financial commitment, have been allocated in recent years. That trend will continue to assure that the program is positioned properly in comparison to its competitors.

Why should Duke invest in a quality football program? Simply put, the university stands for reaching such heights. To fail to do so would deny the very core of what makes Duke unique -- its constant pursuit of excellence in every endeavor.

Jarhead
12-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Interesting comments from Jon Jackson (http://www.heraldsun.com/opinion/columnists/guests/68-905361.cfm), associate director of Athletics/Communication at Duke

bluedawg, thanks for the link to Jon Jackson's guest editorial. I don't get much of a chance to see the Herald Sun, so I would have missed his Op Ed piece. It is a very reassuring statement, and I am comforted to confirm what I have always believed, that the University will be described as achieving excellence in everything it does, including football. It appears that Mr. Jackson wrote the statement in response to an editorial in the Herald Sun. It is good that Duke's leadership is stepping up, and publicly correcting misleading statements in the Durham media. Now, on with the search for a new football coach.

Bluedawg
12-09-2007, 12:51 AM
bluedawg, thanks for the link to Jon Jackson's guest editorial. I don't get much of a chance to see the Herald Sun, so I would have missed his Op Ed piece. It is a very reassuring statement, and I am comforted to confirm what I have always believed, that the University will be described as achieving excellence in everything it does, including football. It appears that Mr. Jackson wrote the statement in response to an editorial in the Herald Sun. It is good that Duke's leadership is stepping up, and publicly correcting misleading statements in the Durham media. Now, on with the search for a new football coach.

I thought it was a very positive, forward looking piece also. I felt it would be helpful to everyone on the board. They are not going to "settle," they are going to strive for excellence!

dukie8
12-09-2007, 01:08 AM
I thought it was a very positive, forward looking piece also. I felt it would be helpful to everyone on the board. They are not going to "settle," they are going to strive for excellence!

actions speak louder than words. this just a bunch of hot air until something substantive is done.

Jarhead
12-09-2007, 01:09 PM
actions speak louder than words. this just a bunch of hot air until something substantive is done.

It is still positive, sort of like blowing hot air on your hands before taking on a challenge. The future has brightened.

jimsumner
12-09-2007, 01:36 PM
There are some folks at Duke prone to blowing hot air. In my experience, Jon Jackson is not one of these. I'd take him at his word.

OrangeDevil
12-09-2007, 02:05 PM

Jon Jackson is right, despite what our cynics and naysayers contend. A cursory inspection of the Rivals 250 and Scout.com reveals a significant number of high profile recruits with a 3.0 or better GPA. At present, hardly a single one lists Duke in their 10-12 schools of consideration. This has got to change. Recruiting is the key to everything. On this board, we often parse the nuances between basketball recruits with remarkable insight and knowledge, but then seem strangely ignorant of the realities of our noncompetitive football recruiting. To be sure there will be no quick fixes or easy panaceas; a number of issues need to be addressed. At the top of the list, however, it a clear and unambiguous commitment from the institution, starting with President Brodhead and Joe Alleva to successfully (that means WINS) compete for an ACC championship on an annual basis.

On the issue of hiring a coach, I agree Duke should be prepared to wait and not settle for a tired, ageing ex-head coach, or an unproven assistant. Duke can do better, much better. The powers that be have to prove to the coaching fraternity that it aims to field a winner.

On the issue of Rick Neuheisel to which I have spoken previously, I respectfully disagree with Jim Sumner and others who contend that his previous misbehavior should disqualify him as a candidate. While they may be correct on what Alleva and others are thinking in this regard, I do not agree that he should be eliminated from consideration on this basis.

Reading the tea leaves, it seems that Troy Calhoun is now the leader.

Bluedawg
12-09-2007, 02:43 PM
There are some folks at Duke prone to blowing hot air. In my experience, Jon Jackson is not one of these. I'd take him at his word.

I concur

Bluedawg
12-09-2007, 02:59 PM

How about if they put their money where their mouth is?

Duke's hopes of landing a proven coach may hinge on money on a couple of different fronts, and so far there have been some positive signs along those lines.

Duke apparently stepped up financially in its effort to land Johnson, and on Friday the university's Board of Trustees approved the first phase of renovations for Wallace Wade Stadium, a $5 million project to add two new restrooms and a new concession stand and to study other possible projects.

By BRYAN STRICKLAND : The Herald-Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/18-905794.cfm?)

jimsumner
12-09-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm not sure there are any tea leaves to read. We need to keep in mind that there's a lot of cloak-and-dagger misinformation and disinformation out there. Some "insiders" for example, claim that Cutliffe and Logan are at the top of the list. Other "insiders" claim they aren't even candidates. And that applies to pretty much every name out there. The people who really know probably aren't talking at all. At least not to me. :)

And coaches have been known to prompt agents to talk them up to the media or even issue press releases touting an interest that never existed.

"Bear Bryant today issued a statement that he has no interest in the vacant Duke head-coaching job. 'It's a wonderful opportunity,' says Bryant. 'But I've decided not to interview. I'm happy where I am now, serving as an example to which no subsequent Alabama coach can possibly equal.'

Insiders indicate that Duke officials will turn to the second choice, Casey Stengel, although some feel that Stengel's success in baseball may not easily translate to college football. But Duke wants to make a "wow" hire and Stengel would achieve that objective."

OZZIE4DUKE
12-09-2007, 05:41 PM
And coaches have been known to prompt agents to talk them up to the media or even issue press releases touting an interest that never existed.

"Bear Bryant today issued a statement that he has no interest in the vacant Duke head-coaching job. 'It's a wonderful opportunity,' says Bryant. 'But I've decided not to interview. I'm happy where I am now, serving as an example to which no subsequent Alabama coach can possibly equal.'

Insiders indicate that Duke officials will turn to the second choice, Casey Stengel, although some feel that Stengel's success in baseball may not easily translate to college football. But Duke wants to make a "wow" hire and Stengel would achieve that objective."

Jim, you certainly have a way with words!

As to your comment that the powers that be aren't talking to you, if they were you wouldn't be talking to us about it, would you?

jimsumner
12-09-2007, 05:59 PM
sssh, Oz, mum's the word.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-09-2007, 06:32 PM
sssh, Oz, mum's the word.

Got it! Just PM me when you get the inside scoop! LOL.

devildeac
12-10-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm not sure there are any tea leaves to read. We need to keep in mind that there's a lot of cloak-and-dagger misinformation and disinformation out there. Some "insiders" for example, claim that Cutliffe and Logan are at the top of the list. Other "insiders" claim they aren't even candidates. And that applies to pretty much every name out there. The people who really know probably aren't talking at all. At least not to me. :)

Jim, Please give us your insider/thoughts/info on the Featherston suggestion from the Main Page-I think it is a GREAT idea;)

Bluedawg
12-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Looks like Bobby Johnson may bring what Duke needs on both the academic and athletic fronts. he has won at a school that puts almost everything above athletics (http://www.tennessean.com/education/archives/03/09/39064514.shtml):

[Vanderbilt University Chancellor Gordon Gee ] announced yesterday the plan to scrap Vanderbilt's existing athletics department, saying athletics has gotten too far away from the rest of the university and its core mission: academics.

throatybeard
12-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Reports of Vandy de-emphasizing athletics are greatly exaggerated. What they did was to merge administration of athletics into the rest of the University hierarchy. This created closer oversight.

Looks like Bobby Johnson may bring what Duke needs on both the academic and athletic fronts. he has won at a school that puts almost everything above athletics (http://www.tennessean.com/education/archives/03/09/39064514.shtml):

Bluedawg
12-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Reports of Vandy de-emphasizing athletics are greatly exaggerated. What they did was to merge administration of athletics into the rest of the University hierarchy. This created closer oversight.

The more I look into this the more you seem correct...I'm not sure the article i linked to played it straight.

It seems more like a combining of athletics and recreation.

Bluedawg
12-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Could this be conformation of what Jon and Joe have been saying?

"Duke made an excellent presentation and left no doubt they are committed to restoring Duke football to national prominence," Jack Reale, (http://www.wral.com/sports/blogpost/2153055/) Johnson's agent, said Sunday. "They made clear their willingness to allocate whatever resources are necessary to accomplish this objective. The next coach will be coming into a very attractive circumstance.