PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Michigan

Jumbo
12-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Michigan?

Saratoga2
12-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Michigan?

Nolan had the best game of any guard in recent memory. After him, I think the team was balanced with many players doing well. King will get some votes since he scored well, but I believe Nolan's play was more important.

Bob Green
12-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Nolan Smith demonstrated a broad set of skills: pressure defense, dribble penetration, finishing in transition, and 3-point range. He was impressive today.

mehmattski
12-08-2007, 04:39 PM
I had to go with D-Marc. Smith was certainly more flashy, and King had his late threes, but Nelson was the pulse of the team: 10 points, 5 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals, and lockdown defense on Michigan's top scorer (without committing a single personal foul!). D-D-D-D-Marc!

Sir Stealth
12-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Nolan had the best game of any guard in recent memory.

Just a lil' bit of hyperbole there??? I also gave my vote to Smith, who had a nice game and seems to really be improving. Could have also voted for King, Demarcus, or Paulus. I think that every guard on Duke's team has probably had as good or better of a game this season than Nolan just had, though no knock on him at all, he played great.

Ben63
12-08-2007, 04:53 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Smith can be a dependable player behind Paulus, it will improve the team and Paulus, letting him rest for tight end of game situations without having to worry about whos taking the ball up when GP is on the bench.

Native
12-08-2007, 05:00 PM
At the beginning of the season, I was a little doubtful about Nolan. He seemed quick and had good skills, but I just didn't see what he had over Singler and King. After this game, though, I have 100% confidence in him. Smith can BALL, especially when he is on a drive.

mgtr
12-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I had to vote for Smith, though others also had good games. I wonder how many different players have been MOTM so far this year? It is a very good sign that it has been spread around.

jma4life
12-08-2007, 06:02 PM
I'd have to go with Nolan as well. I wonder how many different guys won the "Man of the match" last year. I mean this year, I think that on any given night, eight guys can legitimately win it with the starters plus Scheyer, Smith and King.

Last year, it was basically either Scheyer, McRoberts, Nelson and maybe Paulus with Henderson occasionally, and whoever won it usually did it by default based on the fact that no one else really stepped up and earned it. This year, basically every game has had a couple of guys or more step up and earn the "man of the match."

STLDukeFan4
12-08-2007, 06:06 PM
I voted for Smith as well. His energy on the court was tremendous, and I love his on the ball pressure D. I was also impressed with Zoub today...he had some nice rebounds, and loved seeing the big man get down on the floor going after loose balls. But yah, today was Smith's day I think.

dukerev
12-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Welcome to Big-time college basketball, Nolan Smith! A great game all-around, punctuated by some highlight-reel plays. It seems everyone else had trouble putting it in the basket today (which is great in light of the 90plus Duke put on the scoreboard). Nolan's personal run in the first half sparked Duke to put Michigan way down. That was what broke their spirit. This was not a good game to watch. Unless, of course, you are a Duke fan.

Cali-Duke
12-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Greg had a great game. 6 assists, 2 steals, and 0 turnovers (according to ESPN boxscore). He didn't really force anything, and added 8 points.

It is great to see improvement on his assist to turnover ratio. :)

loran16
12-08-2007, 06:35 PM
I did vote for nolan, for reasons which have all been said before.

However, as the previous poster notes, Greg had a great game (heck, check his +/-) and is really maturing as a point guard.

captmojo
12-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Nolan Smith came in, the attitude changed, the Devils took command and never looked back. Once again, it's a different guy each game. Only good can come shining through this way.

Next victim please.

Troublemaker
12-08-2007, 09:25 PM
This was not a good game to watch. Unless, of course, you are a Duke fan.

I dunno. I thought that after a raggedy first 10 minutes when Duke missed a bunch of layups, we played really well on offense and it was aesthetically pleasing. We had a few really beautiful sequences moving the ball against Michigan's zone.