PDA

View Full Version : cold weather running gear

Channing
12-08-2007, 01:16 PM
I grew up in the south - so there were never really any days where it felt too cold to go for a run.

I am in NY for the year, and for me, sub 35 degree temperature is pretty brutal. Sweatpants and a long sleeve are fine, but when I try and wear a regular wool hat i sweat right through it, and same with my gloves. What are some good suggestions for a proper glove and hat to keep me well regulated? Thanks.

captmojo
12-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Important in the cold not to wear that which induces sweat. You don't want wet clothing on in extreme cold.

hughgs
12-08-2007, 08:03 PM
I grew up in the south - so there were never really any days where it felt too cold to go for a run.

I am in NY for the year, and for me, sub 35 degree temperature is pretty brutal. Sweatpants and a long sleeve are fine, but when I try and wear a regular wool hat i sweat right through it, and same with my gloves. What are some good suggestions for a proper glove and hat to keep me well regulated? Thanks.

Try cycling gear. I use my spring cycling gloves around for anything outdoors down to about 35 degrees. Lower temperatures and I use my skiing gloves. I also have a team cycling cap with no holes in it that really keeps my head warm. That being said I can also remove those items and store them in my jersey when the temperature changes. It would probably be harder to store those things while running.

throatybeard
12-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Unless you're in a sitch where it's WELL under zero, there's no need for this.

Physical exertion is best between 0 and 50 F.

Channing
12-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Unless you're in a sitch where it's WELL under zero, there's no need for this.

Physical exertion is best between 0 and 50 F.

my body is fine. My problem is that my hands and ears go numb and it becomes pretty uncomfortable.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-08-2007, 09:31 PM
my body is fine. My problem is that my hands and ears go numb and it becomes pretty uncomfortable.

Move back to the south.

Channing
12-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Move back to the south.

this promises to be my one and only winter north of Alpharetta. I had to follow the education . . . and my ears and hands are paying the price.

DevilAlumna
12-08-2007, 11:04 PM
In DC, during winter training for our spring Crew season, a lot of us ran with white cotton socks as mittens. The white was good for visibility, they kept your hands semi-protected, and when your nose ran from the cold/exertion, you didn't mind blowing your nose in your hand. :)

Bostondevil
12-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Aha, an exercise question I might be able to help with! In my marathon training I'm trying to run outside here in Boston as much as possible. I have discovered that LL Brean's 'fitness fleece' is quite nice for running in 30 degree weather (I haven't tried outside under 28 degrees yet) but in the 30s my regular long sleeve running shirt, an LLBean fleece pullover, the spandex running pants, fleece hat and gloves are all I need (well, my running socks and shoes too). So, for the hat and gloves, go to llbean.com. They have worked for me so far.

Channing
12-09-2007, 09:23 AM
In DC, during winter training for our spring Crew season, a lot of us ran with white cotton socks as mittens. The white was good for visibility, they kept your hands semi-protected, and when your nose ran from the cold/exertion, you didn't mind blowing your nose in your hand. :)

I used socks for mittens this morning and it worked like a charm!