PDA

View Full Version : The season for GADGETS (aka the Video Game thread)

Lavabe
12-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Normally I purchase one Christmas gadget of the year. Kitchen gadgets usually win, and within a few years they are discarded (pasta machine, bread machine, salad spinner, etc...). Although not a kitchen gadget, my daughter spotted a gadget (http://www.turbogadgets.com/2007/02/11/the-alarm-clock-that-you-have-to-chase/) for this year.

Any other MUST-HAVE gadgets for this year?

I'm sort of waiting for the insult cell phone that screams insults when you misplace it.:D
Thanks,
Lavabe

billybreen
12-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Any other MUST-HAVE gadgets for this year?

Well, you already have your iPod Touch, so you have the most important one covered. I'll be getting the wife an iPhone. I expect this to be another record season for Apple, with on the order of 25 million iPods sold.

Not sure if a gaming system fits the definition, but the Wii is a big winner yet again for families. Good luck finding one without paying a premium on eBay.

Lavabe
12-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Well, you already have your iPod Touch, so you have the most important one covered. I'll be getting the wife an iPhone. I expect this to be another record season for Apple, with on the order of 25 million iPods sold.

Technically speaking, it's a business item ... I'm already using it in my classes. Having said that, the folks here encourage us to use it outside of school, so I tried it out last Saturday while watching Duke BB with EarlJam.

It's really cool! The photo display is fantastic.

They need to get it so that web sites w/flash will work on it (should be done soon, from what I gather). I'd also like it if I could download podcasts from the iTunes store. I may also need to get some mobile access wifi. This is just too much fun.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Channing
12-08-2007, 11:24 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/27/sonys-ebook-reader-gets-a-price-on-sonystyle-store/

my dad got one of these for his birthday and absolutely loves it.

billybreen
12-08-2007, 11:33 AM
They need to get it so that web sites w/flash will work on it (should be done soon, from what I gather). I'd also like it if I could download podcasts from the iTunes store. I may also need to get some mobile access wifi. This is just too much fun.

Yep, Flash is coming. I thought you could grab Podcasts, so hit me on PM (or in Snrubchat) to discuss.

allenmurray
12-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Not sure if a gaming system fits the definition, but the Wii is a big winner yet again for families. Good luck finding one without paying a premium on eBay.

I wanted to get a Wii for my son for Christmas. I had heard all the horror stories about finding one. I called all the big box stores and visited all the web sites.

On my way home from the airport one night I was passing Brier Creek Shopping center. I stopped in to EBGames (same chain as GameStop). I walked in and said, "do you have any Wii". the clerk at the register looked down at the floor and said, "yes, I have one left, do you want it?" I bought it.

I then had a conversation with her. She said they get 4 - 6 per week. Because 99% of thier business is in game sales instead of hardware sales she said they never have the runs on them that the big box stores do. She said that probably two to three days a week they still have one in stock at closing time (this was two weeks ago).

If you are loking for a Wii give up on BestBuy/CircuitCity/WalMart/Target etc. Regularly patronize a small store that specializes in game sales not hardware sales. Ask them when thier UPS deliveries are made (that is how they arrive at the store). You may get one with far less trouble than you think.

billybreen
12-08-2007, 12:40 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/27/sonys-ebook-reader-gets-a-price-on-sonystyle-store/

my dad got one of these for his birthday and absolutely loves it.

A thorough, not entirely positive (http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/sony-reader-review.ars) review.

rthomas
12-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Any info/suggestions on xbox 360? My kids want one but I have no clue.

wilson
12-08-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm strongly considering getting my bro, the resident handyman in my life, a laser tape measure. He just finished building me an amazing bar on my deck as my early Christmas gift, in time for my holiday parties. He also loves gadgets, so I think it's an appropriate thing. Anyone know anything about one of those little wonders?

billybreen
12-08-2007, 02:58 PM
If you are loking for a Wii give up on BestBuy/CircuitCity/WalMart/Target etc. Regularly patronize a small store that specializes in game sales not hardware sales. Ask them when thier UPS deliveries are made (that is how they arrive at the store). You may get one with far less trouble than you think.

That's good advice, but it involves a fair amount of polling (repeated, manual checking). There are a number of online aids, such as iTrackr (http://www.itrackr.com/), that do the polling for you and push results (via e-mail, text messages, etc) as soon as they come available online. I got my Wii last February using iTrackr, and it was pretty painless.

billybreen
12-08-2007, 03:00 PM

What type of info are you looking for? It's a good console, cheaper than the PS3, and has the largest game library of this hardware generation. You shouldn't have any problem finding one.

rthomas
12-08-2007, 03:04 PM
What type of info are you looking for? It's a good console, cheaper than the PS3, and has the largest game library of this hardware generation. You shouldn't have any problem finding one.

Well, there are a bunch of bundled console/game packages. Is it better to buy bundles or separate console/games?

billybreen
12-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Well, there are a bunch of bundled console/game packages. Is it better to buy bundles or separate console/games?

Unless the bundled games are things you want, go a la carte. IIRC, there's no real price break on bundles.

hc5duke
12-08-2007, 06:45 PM
A thorough, not entirely positive (http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/sony-reader-review.ars) review.

I just don't get ebook readers - I don't think there is a big enough market for such a specialized product. People who want to read lots of books are unlikely to fork over $300-$400 for this kind of device, and gadget-oriented users will just deal with the poor(er) battery life of laptops and read pdf's on their computers instead. The technology isn't quite there yet either - readers typically take a whole second to refresh the screen, not to mention they don't have color yet in production models. Touchscreen isn't always available, and usually it's DRM'ed.

I had an interview with Amazon Kindle earlier this year. The compensation was about better than my current job, but I didn't want to work on a project that I won't be proud of... not to mention, if Amazon scraps it in a year (which is my estimate) I'll be in the job market again or have to move to Seattle (no offense, DevilAlumna and other residents of the Pacific Northwest :)).

prefan21
12-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Any info/suggestions on xbox 360? My kids want one but I have no clue.The 360 will be perfect. What age are your kids?

Here are the hottest games this year:

Rock Band or Guitar Hero 3 - simulate either starting up a rock band (good if your kids like playing together) or playing as a famous guitarist, respectively. Very addictive - you play hit songs on a "guitar" with colored buttons instead of strings. (As well as a mic and drums in Rock Band.) Fun for all ages.

Skate - perfect for a teenage boy, a freeform skateboarding game where the player explores a city and comes up with elaborate tricks.

Halo 3 - insanely popular shoot-'em-up defending against an alien invasion. Most popular among the college crowd. (Bioshock, Gears of War, and Call of Duty 2 are similarly popular.)

The Simpsons Game - fun for younger-ish kids, a well-designed adventure game starring the Simpsons.

The Orange Box - three games in one box. Comes with Half Life 2 Ep 2 (alien killing adventure), Portal (unique and thrilling puzzle adventure), and Team Fortress 2 (capture-the-flag style multiplayer game).

Other top games - Madden if they like football, FIFA 08 if they like soccer, Viva Pinata or Beautiful Katamari if they're young or imaginative, Forza Motorsport if they like realistic racing.

SouthgateWindsor
12-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Don't know if this qualifies, but I got my husband one of those Leatherman tools about 8 years ago and he *still* talks about how great of a gift it was.

billybreen
12-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Skate - perfect for a teenage boy, a freeform skateboarding game where the player explores a city and comes up with elaborate tricks.

The Simpsons Game - fun for younger-ish kids, a well-designed adventure game starring the Simpsons.

I have these two on my wish list, and I'm 29. So there's universal appeal. :)

Cavlaw
12-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm 27, but they're not on mine. Different tastes, I suppose (though I'm at least curious about the Simpsons game).

I still only have one long term keeper on the X360: Rainbow Six - Vegas.

I did play through Mass Effect over Thanksgiving. It was solid, but neither the storyline nor the writing was anywhere near as good as Jade Empire, Bioware's last title.

billybreen
12-08-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm 27, but they're not on mine. Different tastes, I suppose (though I'm at least curious about the Simpsons game).

I did play through Mass Effect over Thanksgiving. It was solid, but neither the storyline nor the writing was anywhere near as good as Jade Empire, Bioware's last title.

I'm not a fan of shooters, so I can't roll with Rainbox Six, Halo, or the like. Very much looking forward to Assassin's Creed, and it's worth noting that the 360 version has not suffered from the software issues experienced on the PS3. That's been something of a trend in the first year of availability for the consoles -- the PS3 is such a different architecture that development houses are more likely to stumble.

Cavlaw
12-08-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm not a fan of shooters, so I can't roll with Rainbox Six, Halo, or the like. Very much looking forward to Assassin's Creed, and it's worth noting that the 360 version has not suffered from the software issues experienced on the PS3. That's been something of a trend in the first year of availability for the consoles -- the PS3 is such a different architecture that development houses are more likely to stumble.
I traded in Assassin's Creed after a few days. There are only a few tasks in the game that are rinse and repeat multiple times per mission. At first I was awed by the graphics and the animation, but after several hours of game time that wore off and I didn't feel like I was doing anything new.

billybreen
12-09-2007, 12:13 AM
I traded in Assassin's Creed after a few days. There are only a few tasks in the game that are rinse and repeat multiple times per mission. At first I was awed by the graphics and the animation, but after several hours of game time that wore off and I didn't feel like I was doing anything new.

Oh well. Chances are, I'll play it for 10 hours and be forced to move on, so I probably won't have enough time to get really bored.

hc5duke
12-09-2007, 05:11 AM
Oh well. Chances are, I'll play it for 10 hours and be forced to move on, so I probably won't have enough time to get really bored.

You could try gamefly free trial - that's what I did with Okami and God of War 2 last year. Didn't like Okami, kept GoW.

allenmurray
12-09-2007, 11:08 AM
That's good advice, but it involves a fair amount of polling (repeated, manual checking). There are a number of online aids, such as iTrackr (http://www.itrackr.com/), that do the polling for you and push results (via e-mail, text messages, etc) as soon as they come available online. I got my Wii last February using iTrackr, and it was pretty painless.

I looked into a couple of those (though not itrackr), but they kept directing me to places that had bundles in stock. I didn't want a bundle, just the basic Wii at the list price of $249.

You're right in that my method takes a little more work, but for me stopping into a store a couple of times is really kind of fun (I know, most folks would disagree with this, but I actually like shopping local stores). The nice thing about Gamestop/EBGames is that they tend to be in neighborhood strip malls nestled between the gorcery store and the Blockbuster, rather than in malls. So stopping by is almost an afterthought given how often folks stop by the local shopping center to get milk, bread, movies, etc.

My older son only likes sports games (the wii is for my younger son) and has a good colledtion for his PS2. However, I'd like to get him a game to play on the Wii. Do you have any suggestions for sports games (Bball and Football) that are particularly good on the Wii (ones that use the Wii specific controller, not ones that have the same type of gameplay with the old-style controller)?

billybreen
12-09-2007, 11:14 AM
I looked into a couple of those (though not itrackr), but they kept directing me to places that had bundles in stock. I didn't want a bundle, just the basic Wii at the list price of $249.

Totally true. I got really lucky in I found my Wii via iTrackr was sold in a small bundle at Circuit City. When I added it to my shopping cart, it added the Wii, the extra controller, and the games as separate items. I just removed the game I didn't want, and purchased the rest. Your mileage may definitely vary there :-)

My older son only likes sports games (the wii is for my younger son) and has a good colledtion for his PS2. However, I'd like to get him a game to play on the Wii. Do you have any suggestions for sports games (Bball and Football) that are particularly good on the Wii (ones that use the Wii specific controller, not ones that have the same type of gameplay with the old-style controller)?

Unfortunately, I don't. I don't play many sports games, so Wii Sports is the only one I've played.

billybreen
12-09-2007, 11:22 AM
You could try gamefly free trial - that's what I did with Okami and God of War 2 last year. Didn't like Okami, kept GoW.

So, Netflix for games? Nice.

My problem is more that I don't have time for the games I like. The only thing that has worked for me recently is the DS, but even that I only pick up while traveling. Saved me from boredom on countless international and cross country flights this year.

rthomas
12-09-2007, 11:40 AM

I've played Tiger Woods with my kids. It was pretty fun.

mpj96
12-09-2007, 11:46 AM
the folks in our break room are constantly playing the Wii golf game we bought. Apparently it is lots of fun.

wilson
12-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Don't mean to repeat myself, but my previous question seems to have gotten lost in the video game shuffle in this thread. Does anyone know anything about laser tape measures?

allenmurray
12-09-2007, 11:48 AM
the folks in our break room are constantly playing the Wii golf game we bought. Apparently it is lots of fun.

And I though I worked in a casual office.

DevilAlumna
12-09-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm strongly considering getting my bro, the resident handyman in my life, a laser tape measure. He just finished building me an amazing bar on my deck as my early Christmas gift, in time for my holiday parties. He also loves gadgets, so I think it's an appropriate thing. Anyone know anything about one of those little wonders?

Don't know about the laser tape measure, but my handy husband scoffed at a gift given him -- a self-leveling laser straightedge, until he tried it the first time. Now he loves it and pulls it out at every chance.

wilson
12-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Don't know about the laser tape measure, but my handy husband scoffed at a gift given him -- a self-leveling laser straightedge, until he tried it the first time. Now he loves it and pulls it out at every chance.

Yeah, my bro already has one of those. We used it the other day.

Lavabe
12-09-2007, 03:09 PM
And to really re-jack this thread, are there any GOT-TO-HAVE kitchen gadgets this season? I mean, is there some sort of automatic burrito roller or something?;)
Cheers,
Lavabe

prefan21
12-09-2007, 03:18 PM

Wii Sports (tennis/bowling/golf/baseball/boxing), which comes with the system, is the best game around and extensively uses the wiimote.

Madden 2007 was heralded for properly utilizing the wiimote as well - you snap the ball, throw passes, and kick FGs with (semi) realistic motions. Tremendously high reviews for the game.

NBA Live 08 has a "family play" mode which allows realistic use of the wiimote. However, the game received lukewarm reviews at best. FIFA 08 scored much higher, and tries to make use of the wiimote, though it's predictably much harder to perfect in a soccer game. Tiger Woods 07 scored highly as well, if you can see your son playing a golf sim beyond the one that comes with the system.

bjornolf
12-10-2007, 10:21 AM

Then again, you get a BluRay player with the PS3, five free BluRay movies (about $150) and a more powerful system with more memory. If you want to make your Xbox360 close to as good as a PS3 (it'll never match in processor power or speed), you basically have to spend as much as a PS3 anyway for the hard drive and HD-DVD drive. Yes, Xbox 360 has an edge now in game library, but in five years, its games won't be able to match the graphics or size of the PS3 games. PS3s are pretty easy to find now too, and you can get the best version (80 GB) for $499 with a decent game.

I'm not saying that the 360 is for crap mind you. I just wanted to put a little info out there about PS3. And while the 360 now has an HDMI output on its elite system (which of course costs extra), there is a heated debate about whether its HDMI is fully capable. It's putting out 1.2, NOT 1.3, which means it won't support things like True HD or Dolby Digital+. Apparently, there will be an update sometime in the spring to bring in 1080p but there is even debate as to whether it will work or not. Gotta love Microsoft.

As for bundles, it depends. I don't know if it's still available, but a month ago Costco had a great PS3 bundle. Considering it costs $60 more than a stand alone PS3 but comes with an extra controller, a game, and the BluRay remote (about $150 of extra stuff), I think that's pretty good. And you still get the 5 BluRay movies, so that's $300 worth of extras at a $560 price tag. The funny thing is that when adjusted for inflation, the original Intellivision is the most expensive game system in history. At an original release price of $300 back in the 70s, it equates to a $1200 price now. Crazy, huh?

As for finding the Wii, my local Wal-Mart and Target seem to get about 10 of them a week, and they seem to last for at least a day or two. It's funny. Around here, people seem to raid the EBgames/Gamestop and Best Buy/Circuit City/Toy R Us type places and ignore the Wal-Marts and Targets.

Anyway, good luck.

billybreen
12-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Then again, you get a BluRay player with the PS3, five free BluRay movies (about $150) and a more powerful system with more memory. If you want to make your Xbox360 close to as good as a PS3 (it'll never match in processor power or speed), you basically have to spend as much as a PS3 anyway for the hard drive and HD-DVD drive. Yes, Xbox 360 has an edge now in game library, but in five years, its games won't be able to match the graphics or size of the PS3 games. PS3s are pretty easy to find now too, and you can get the best version (80 GB) for $499 with a decent game.

Good points, certainly.

But I disagree with the characterization of some of those advantages. Take the built-in BluRay drive: I don't want one. My biggest beef with the PS3 is the crass influence of Sony's entertainment division to jam BluRay into the PS3 to get a leg up in the format war. Gotta love keiretsus. Given Sony's track record introducing new formats, BluRay may well be the Beta to HD-DVD's VHS. At this point, it's too early to pick a side, and I think it's unlikely that physical media will win at all. It's a software world now, and I'm done with buying anything that comes in disk form.

As for the speed and memory differences, the PS3 does have a definite advantage on paper. Unfortunately, it is built on a vastly different architecture that makes writing software quite difficult. Say what you will about Microsoft (man, I hope DA is reading this passionate defense ;)), but they know how to enable a development community. The upshot is that games available on both platforms tend to look better and perform more reliably on the 360 (see Creed, Assassin's), and games developed exclusively for the PS3 have a habit of slipping schedule (see Gear, Metal).

You may well be right about the long term view, where developers have enough time to accept and exploit the eccentricities of the PS3. If that happens, I'll happily snag a PS3 for $200 in a few years. But right now, it's just not ripe.

Clipsfan
12-10-2007, 05:41 PM

I liked Mass Effect a ton (although I also really enjoyed Jade Empire). However, I'm playing through it a second time and don't really want to do all the small side-quests as they're pretty much all the same format.

Johnboy
12-10-2007, 06:45 PM

The one thing I'd suggest here is to get an extra set of controllers so two can play simultaneously. Wii is a very social game, and having two sets of controllers makes it more than twice the fun (depending on the game, of course).

Of course, you can get extra controllers later, if you're trying to keep on a budget.

Kdogg
12-10-2007, 07:52 PM

If you are thinking about a Xbox 360 consider buying either the Premium or Elite. They are better deals then the Arcade model and have HD output. If you really want to get picky google "XBOX 360 falcon." It's the newer chip design that runs cooler and uses less power. All models have a three year warrantly but if you are buying new you might want to try for the newer designs.

wilson
12-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Motion to rename this thread "It's the time of the season for GAMERS."
Video games are not gadgets. They are toys (not that I have any problem whatsoever with toys).

DevilAlumna
12-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Do floor-washing robots (http://store.irobot.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2666938&cp=2174932&parentPage=family)count as gadgets? I know I want one! (Buy now, and get a floor-vacuuming robot free!)

Edit/additional: If you want gadget breakdowns by gadget-owner-personality, Wired Magazine's got a pretty good selection here: http://www.wired.com/gadgets/gadgetreviews/magazine/15-12/wl_gifts

2nd Edit -- Wilson, check out the handyman section -- there are 2-3 things your bro might like, including the telescoping ladder, and the ratcheting hex wrenches (depending on what kind of work he does most frequently.)

billybreen
12-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Motion to rename this thread "It's the time of the season for GAMERS."
Video games are not gadgets. They are toys (not that I have any problem whatsoever with toys).

Well, game systems are gadgets, IMHO. And there's occasionally a non-gaming post in this thread. :)

allenmurray
12-10-2007, 08:41 PM
The one thing I'd suggest here is to get an extra set of controllers so two can play simultaneously. Wii is a very social game, and having two sets of controllers makes it more than twice the fun (depending on the game, of course).

Of course, you can get extra controllers later, if you're trying to keep on a budget.

Thanks for the suggestion - that will be Grandma's present!

hc5duke
12-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Well, game systems are gadgets, IMHO. And there's occasionally a non-gaming post in this thread. :)

When toys cost $300+, and not because it's a collector's item, but actually because of the production/material/research costs, I think it's fair to call it a gadget. Hell, I would even consider Macs gadgets ;)

billybreen
12-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Hell, I would even consider Macs gadgets ;)

I disagree that Macs are gadgets, but Apple does create the best gadgets you could hope to buy this holiday season. And with that, we're on topic.

Lavabe
12-10-2007, 09:39 PM
A gadget must have the phrase "BUT WAIT!!!" somewhere in the on-air commercial.

A Mac is considered a gadget IF you also get with it:
1) The ginsu knives that can slice through bricks;
2) The special smoothie-attachment; and
3) The George Foreman recipe book.

I think Apple is messing up with its Mac vs. PC commercials these days. They need someone like Crazy Eddie screaming in the background.

Cheers,
Lavabe

wilson
12-10-2007, 09:43 PM
There should also be bright, rapidly flashing, epilepsy-inducing banner letters involved.

billybreen
12-10-2007, 09:53 PM
I think Apple is messing up with its Mac vs. PC commercials these days. They need someone like Crazy Eddie screaming in the background.

iPhone: apply directly to the ear! Apply directly to the ear!

Lavabe
12-10-2007, 10:23 PM
iPhone: apply directly to the ear! Apply directly to the ear!

Billybreen (on iPhone): Hello, Mr. Jobs? I have an idea for you!

Nice.

FWIW, my daughter still loves her iFish.
Cheers,
Lavabe

billybreen
12-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Billybreen (on iPhone): Hello, Mr. Jobs? I have an idea for you!

I'm pretty sure the Steve has killed for less.

HaveFunExpectToWin
12-11-2007, 02:31 PM
To Xbox 360 owners: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is simply amazing. I was never a fan of playing 14 year old kids online (I'm 31), but this game has changed perspective. It has such great graphics and gameplay. I got it instead of Halo 3 (although I still want to play that too) and am not disappointed at all.

Oh and for those looking at Wii's, I was at a family gathering and witnessed three generations playing and enjoying Wii Sports. I've never seen anything like it. It's just flat out fun.

billybreen
12-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Time just named the iPhone Gadget of the Year (http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/top10/article/0,30583,1686204_1686305_1690738,00.html).

Cavlaw
12-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Halo 3 was a disappointment for me. I'm happy that it avoided the repetitive slug-fest of its prior incarnations (how many floors do we really need to fight through in the archive library?) but it didn't really add anything new over Halo 2. I'm curious to try COD4, as I really liked COD2. (Rainbow 6 remains my favorite game on the 360 by far, but it only gets played a few times a month online)

On Mass Effect, the side quests were awful, and planet exploration was so poorly implemented as to be painful. I didn't mind running around in the mako to shoot stuff during plot-missions, but the 'exploration' aspect was simply pathetic. Character development also paled in comparison to previous Bioware titles. The 'romance option' characters had some limited development, Wrex the lizard man was exceptionally well written, and everyone else ran out of lines 1/3 of the way through. While I appreciated some of the nods to prior sci fi works (like the Rachni/Bugger connection -- Ender's Game/Speaker for the Dead if you missed the connection), the entire plotline being based off of Star Control 3 (horrible game) bugged me the whole way through. Not to mention you get no explanation for what exactly the villains' McGovern is.

On the Wii, my mother (in her early 60s) came downtown for a day over thanksgiving weekend and really enjoyed some surprising games. She liked Wii sports ok, but had a blast with the zapper and Link's Crossbow training, thought Mario Galaxy was pretty creative, and loved doing the musical numbers from Raving Rabbids 1 & 2.

The Wii remains far and away my favorite system of the current generation.

ugadevil
12-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Madden 2007 was heralded for properly utilizing the wiimote as well - you snap the ball, throw passes, and kick FGs with (semi) realistic motions. Tremendously high reviews for the game.

I agree with the reviews for Madden. My brother and I spent the night in the parking lot at Target last year to get a Wii and bought the Madden game soon after. It takes some getting used to but it becomes a lot of fun to play once you figure it out. It's also comical to watch people play Madden because of all the motions you do while playing it. (Example: Shoving the air to make a tackle, waving your hand to signal fair catch, etc.)

Tiger Woods is fun, but also tough to learn. As someone who plays golf, it is impossible to try and swing a remote the way the game wants you to. However, the game has lots of unique challenges and multiple options that you don't have on the golf game on Wii Sports. A fun game to play.

bjornolf
12-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Good points, certainly.

But I disagree with the characterization of some of those advantages. Take the built-in BluRay drive: I don't want one. My biggest beef with the PS3 is the crass influence of Sony's entertainment division to jam BluRay into the PS3 to get a leg up in the format war. Gotta love keiretsus. Given Sony's track record introducing new formats, BluRay may well be the Beta to HD-DVD's VHS. At this point, it's too early to pick a side, and I think it's unlikely that physical media will win at all. It's a software world now, and I'm done with buying anything that comes in disk form.

1. Doesn't Sony still have the vast majority of production companies in its stable, including Disney? Is there something going on there I haven't heard about?

2. The PS2 plays DVD movies, so how is this all that different? PS3 games are on Blu-Ray format to get HD graphics just like PS2 games were on DVD format, so what's the stretch to play movies? So microsoft just forces you to pay extra to watch movies, like they did with the original Xbox. I know several people whose only DVD player for a long time was a PS2. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't have a PS3 either. I'm waiting for it to come down as well and work out some bugs. Not a huge fan of xbox, though. Red rings of death still popping up, Microsoft says it doesn't even know how many bad ones are on shelves after all this time. That seems like a pretty serious mess to me. You'd think with their big headstart, they'd have figured this all out by now. So, I have problems with both systems, but honestly, what system hasn't had its problems the first few years? The Wii seems the most stable so far.

Like I said, they all have their advantages and disadvantages. I just wanted to point out some of the PS3's advantages.

billybreen
01-03-2008, 12:37 AM

Yep, you're spot on with that. It's a shame they didn't do more with the world. Still, it was a beautiful game and fun to play for the 10-15 hours it took to plow through, and now I head back to work.

Unfortunately, my Wii broke, so I haven't been able to play Super Mario Galaxy at all. I'll have that to look forward to in a week or so.

hc5duke
01-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Unfortunately, my Wii broke, so I haven't been able to play Super Mario Galaxy at all. I'll have that to look forward to in a week or so.

Truly amazing game - I love how it references all the previous Marios in level design, enemies, and music, and the game play is very unique. I won't deny the rumor that I have been playing this game in the morning before work.