PDA

View Full Version : App State-Richmond

jimsumner
12-07-2007, 10:28 PM
If you're not watching this game on ESPN2, you're missing a doozy. 35-35 middle of the third. Richmond coach Dave Clawson may be a candidate for Duke, btw.

SlimSlowSlider
12-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Sweet. Thanks, Jim. Just had ESPN News in the background. This is much better.

captmojo
12-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Corey Lynch is a beast!

throatybeard
12-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Good guys win 55-35.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=273412026&confId=81

Devilsfan
12-08-2007, 12:26 AM
He seems to have his act together.

Ben63
12-08-2007, 12:40 AM
He seems to have his act together.

Maybe he should take over at Michigan. Haha

revmel53
12-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Clawson may be the coach to look at, but App State is the program... Jerry Moore, ASU's coach, reinvented himself and the program five years ago... moving from a plodding, methodical offense to the spread... He sent his coaches to spend the summer with Urban Meyer and since then, the ASU offense has not gone into the huddle... (in five years...) It's produced two national championships - and next week they'll go for three... And we've not even talked about the incredible win that started the season. That win was accomplished with far inferior athletes - but with a far superior system... the kind of system Duke must incorporate. If we get the wrong coach this time, we're in more trouble than we've ever been.

wilson
12-08-2007, 08:44 AM

You know there's been a tectonic change in college football when Michigan has a coaching vacancy, so they decide to talk to the coach from Rutgers. Then, he says no! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3145205

lavell12
12-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Amante Edwards for the Heisman!!!

ArkieDukie
12-08-2007, 09:00 AM

I have been wondering myself why the heck no one is pursuing this guy for one of the several head coaching vacancies (cough...Arkansas...cough). Seems like winning two, possibly 3, Nat'l Championships, not to mention beating Michigan at Michigan, would make him appealing. He would be on my short list. Instead, our AD is going after guys with the same agent as our former head coach, and they're all getting huge salary increases to stay put. Guess that's why I'm not an AD.

dukepsy1963
12-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Anyone hear the ugly comment by one of the announcers about the App State Chancellor? He said something to the effect that the enthusiastic behavior of the Chancellor bordered on being "hotdog." I didn't think that was appropriate at all. Jeez, in all my years at Universities and Colleges, I only wish that some of the Chancellors and Presidents had been so accessible and enthusiastic.....and "down to earth." I think the App fans are lucky to have such a guy....!!! I think ESPN needs to give him a stern talking to.

Carlos
12-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Moore graduated from Baylor in 1961 which puts him in his mid to late 60's. My guess is that's what has stopped anyone from pursuing him for the last few years. Plus, he's been at App State nearly twenty years so it's likely that he's reluctant to leave Boone at this point.

jimsumner
12-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Jerry Moore is 68 years old and has politely rebuffed every approach from other schools. He loves it in Boone and has no intention of leaving.

Olympic Fan
12-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Anyone hear the ugly comment by one of the announcers about the App State Chancellor? He said something to the effect that the enthusiastic behavior of the Chancellor bordered on being "hotdog." I didn't think that was appropriate at all. Jeez, in all my years at Universities and Colleges, I only wish that some of the Chancellors and Presidents had been so accessible and enthusiastic.....and "down to earth." I think the App fans are lucky to have such a guy....!!! I think ESPN needs to give him a stern talking to.

I was going to post about this, but I had the completely opposite take.

Look, I want an administration that pursues excellence in football, but I don't want a president/chancellor that acts like a clown on national TV -- like this guy.

The App State guy reminds me of Groucho Marx, president of Huxley College, in "Horsefeathers."

ArkieDukie
12-08-2007, 11:11 AM
I wasn't aware of his age. That would definintely be a deterrent to programs looking for a long-hauler. I salute what he has done at App State, though. What an amazing job!

captmojo
12-08-2007, 11:20 AM
I was going to post about this, but I had the completely opposite take.

Look, I want an administration that pursues excellence in football, but I don't want a president/chancellor that acts like a clown on national TV -- like this guy.

The App State guy reminds me of Groucho Marx, president of Huxley College, in "Horsefeathers."

Of course you know this gets my attention. :D

It's hard to run a college and a football program at the same time, so, tomorrow we start tearing down the college.:D

throatybeard
12-09-2007, 07:02 PM
I wouldn't move from Boone if I lived there either.

Atldukie79
12-09-2007, 07:34 PM
With a son in the Duke band and a senior at App State who has also played in their band, I have shuttled from Atlata to Boone and Durham to watch football games the past 4 years. It is wild to see an App State thread on a Duke board. Jerry Moore is a guy in a huge comfort zone. He has a nice house on a mountain top overlooking Boone. A rabid, if small fan base and a strong recruiting pipeline of the athelete who is a bit too small, too slow, too short...but who wants to show up the big boys.

I am amazed that no one in 1AA seems to be able to counter the spread that they run. I used to joke with my sons how Duke would fare against App State.
If the Duke loss to Richmond didn't seal the debate, the App State win over Michigan did. No contest. App State by 21 points.

That said, the lesson I draw from all this is that the coaching choice makes the difference (duh). BTW, Jerry Moore was considered washed up after a stint at Texas Tech in the 80's. Who knew he would reinvent himself in his 60's? Oh well...I will be in Chatanooga for the App State 3-peat next weekend!

cspan37421
12-09-2007, 09:48 PM
see you there!

cspan37421

Chard
12-10-2007, 11:12 AM
I was there on Friday night! ELECTRIC atmosphere. The buzz was palpable (and so was mine). Richmond was sunk up until the special teams gaffe in the 3rd. Then we finally got the ball for the first time in the second half and didn't look back. The crowd didn't stop yelling during Richmond possessions even when the game was effectively over. A new playoff attendance record was set with 24,140. FBS doesn't know what it is missing.

Chancellor Peacock is a fine representative of our school. Those that don't like his enthusiasm can jump in The Duck Pond. He has taken the opportunity to use the exposure that the recent success has afforded the school. He loves football and likes to share his enthusiasm with the students, season ticket holders and Yosef Club members. The ESPN commentator can go suck eggs.

Coach Moore isn't going anywhere. He ran a winning program before the championships so it wasn't like suitors didn't come a callin'. He has a nice life which is more important that money. The move to the spread offense created the juggernaught we have today. All thanks to WVU! The coaches spent lots of time visiting Virginia and WVU in the off seasons to also get a feel for how those programs simply practice. I'm not sure about them visiting with Urban Meyer. We do get to play them next year at The Swamp.

Armanti Edwards set a rushing record with 313 yards (http://www.goasu.com/article/11371/) and 495 total yards. He may have gotten more Heisman and All American attention had he not been injured this year and missed a few games.

Corey Lynch and Kerry Brown are All American selections (http://goasu.com/article/11373/) by the Walter Camp Football Foundation. ASU is undefeated when Lynch has an interception.

Duke will need a system that is fun, can score a bunch of points and allows for those under appreciated athletes who didn't get an invite from the big boys of college football to show their stuff.

Those of you who are lucky enough to have tickets here is some information on the game and the site (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89142). I am waiting for additional tickets to be released. They sold out the ASU allotment by 11:30 am on Saturday. Finley Stadium hasn't released any tickets yet. Of course, you can find tickets on Ebay if you are willing to support that.

It should be a great game on Friday. Delaware is playing great football having knocked off some powerful teams to get to the championship game. ASU will have to fix whatever special teams problems that have been plaguing them during the playoffs. Both ASU and Delaware were not seeded as one of the top four teams in the tournament. Both O$U and LSU don't have to worry about a silly meddlesome tournament to play for a title.