PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Custard Pie

allenmurray
12-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Perhaps the greatest dessert ever, and currently on my top ten list of foods. However, it is getting incredibly hard to find. None of the local grocery stores stock a decent one, and the Triangle is short on "old-fashioned" bakeries (places like Mad Hatter and Whole Foods have nice bakeries, but the never have anything as basic as a good coconut custard pie).

What is a good CCP, you ask? Firm custard and not overly sweet. It doesn't have to be real heavy on the coconut - it is more of a good egg custard pie with some coconut mixed in.

I wish I could say that the best I've ever had was my grandmother's, or from some small town bakery - but alas, it is not. The best CCP available is made by Publix Supermarket. Alas, there are no stores from that chain in the Triangle.

Help me out Trinagle area DBR folks. Where can I get a good CCP? Or does anyone have a good recipe?

SouthgateWindsor
12-07-2007, 06:27 PM
I haven't lived in the Triangle area for a long time, but I used to love Mama Dip's in "that place.";) She used to have a very good coconut custard pie.

And her website http://www.mamadips.com/takeout.shtml says that it is still on the menu. Hope this helps.

allenmurray
12-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks, my office is only about six blocks from there (Carr Mill Mall), but I doubt I've been more than twice in the last ten years. But now, I'll be stopping by for lunch on Monday.

Lavabe
12-08-2007, 11:58 AM
I hate to say this, but PICCADILLY'S Cafeteria by Emory has said item. I'll try Greenwood's in Roswell first. Sure hope I'm not diabetic!

Perhaps it's found throughout the PICCADILLY chain.
Cheers,
Lavabe

allenmurray
12-08-2007, 12:22 PM
I hate Kroger. It seems as though there is a constant internal competition to see which can outdo the other - the unattractiveness/uncleanliness of their stores or the complete lack of customer service. I never shop there unless there is no other option.

Last night I was coming home from my 8 year old son's basketball practice. I knew we were out of milk. The Harris-Teeter was 3 miles away and I was going to pass the Kroger on my way home. I sucked it up and went to Kroger. There, in their bakery case, was a fresh coconut custard pie. I bought it, against my own better judgement. I fully believed that it would be terrible since it came from Kroger (did I mention I hate Kroger?).

It was actually pretty darn good. The custard was a little watery, but it had a really good egg flavor, and most importantly it was not overly sweet (which is the fastest way to ruin a CCP). Just the right amount of coconut.

I'll try Mama Dips tomorrow. There are no Picadilly's in the Triangle area (there used to be one at South Square Mall, when there used to be a South Square Mall).

Indoor66
12-08-2007, 01:23 PM
I hate Kroger. It seems as though there is a constant internal competition to see which can outdo the other - the unattractiveness/uncleanliness of their stores or the complete lack of customer service. I never shop there unless there is no other option.

Last night I was coming home from my 8 year old son's basketball practice. I knew we were out of milk. The Harris-Teeter was 3 miles away and I was going to pass the Kroger on my way home. I sucked it up and went to Kroger. There, in their bakery case, was a fresh coconut custard pie. I bought it, against my own better judgement. I fully believed that it would be terrible since it came from Kroger (did I mention I hate Kroger?).

It was actually pretty darn good. The custard was a little watery, but it had a really good egg flavor, and most importantly it was not overly sweet (which is the fastest way to ruin a CCP). Just the right amount of coconut.

I'll try Mama Dips tomorrow. There are no Picadilly's in the Triangle area (there used to be one at South Square Mall, when there used to be a South Square Mall).

But now its...Sam's Club?

allenmurray
12-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Sam's club and a Target. It represents the great American tradition of not being satisfied with enough. South Square Mall was a little old and shabby, but it had three anchor stores, was two stories, and was incredibly conventietly located. So, it was razed to build a new mall about five miles away. Even though the new mall is nice (a good bit more upscale) it still strikes me as one of the most unnecessary pieces of development/redevelopment I've ever seen around here.

merry
12-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Sam's club and a Target. It represents the great American tradition of not being satisfied with enough. South Square Mall was a little old and shabby, but it had three anchor stores, was two stories, and was incredibly conventietly located. So, it was razed to build a new mall about five miles away. Even though the new mall is nice (a good bit more upscale) it still strikes me as one of the most unnecessary pieces of development/redevelopment I've ever seen around here.

The mall seems to draw a lot of business from the more eastern part of the Triange like my Cary coworkers. I do like having an Apple Store and an REI closer by but generally speaking I don't do much with the new mall. I live quite close to South Sqaure and it was always nice to go there especially when I needed something quickly like a pair of stockings or a plain t-shirt for a kids school project. Luckily Target fills that need pretty well, because you can't accomplish anything very quickly at the new mall.

BTW there is a C&H Cafeteria next to Northgate and a K&W in Chapel Hill near University mall. I'm pretty sure the C&H has coconut custard pie, not sure about the other. Still it's a good bet whatever you can get at Dip's will be better than either of those.

SouthgateWindsor
12-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Just perusing the Mama Dip's website again--feeling nostalgic...

Noticed that on page 8 of their picture album (link is on the top of their home page) is a photo of the coconut custard pie!!

http://www.mamadips.com/picture_album.php?f=8

Also, noticed that on the takeout page it says to give 24 hr notice for coconut custard pie for takeout. Maybe you should calll to see if they have it before you stop by? On the other hand, IMO a trip to Mama Dip's is never a wasted visit.

Hope you enjoy it!

captmojo
12-09-2007, 08:16 PM
I hate coconut! Walk around all day and night spitting little bits out. Yeachh!

I much prefer Key Lime Pie. Especially after a nice seafood meal.;)

Lavabe
12-09-2007, 08:50 PM
BTW there is a C&H Cafeteria next to Northgate and a K&W in Chapel Hill near University mall. I'm pretty sure the C&H has coconut custard pie, not sure about the other. Still it's a good bet whatever you can get at Dip's will be better than either of those.

K&W?! :eek:

Still having bad flashbacks to alleged jalapeno cornbread. I say alleged because I believe it was fruitcake-like, gummi-bear consistency gelled jalapenos that might have actually been okra.

Scarred for life,
Lavabe

Indoor66
12-09-2007, 10:10 PM
I hate coconut! Walk around all day and night spitting little bits out. Yeachh!

I much prefer Key Lime Pie. Especially after a nice seafood meal.;)

Come on down - we got plenty of that here - both seafood and key lime pie.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Why Honey, all you have to do is run over to the "new" K&W cafeteria outside University Mall. You can buy coconut cream pie by the slice or by the WHOLE pie.