PDA

View Full Version : Maryland - Morgan State

gw67
12-07-2007, 07:36 AM
At the end of a business trip in New Mexico last night, I got into the rental car and checked the list of stations on the satellite radio hoping to get a sports news program so I could follow the Terps’ score. I was amazed to find some stations marked ACC. Turning to them, I found the Duke women’s game and the start of the Terps-Morgan State game. The combination of the 90 mile drive and a horrible accident allowed me to listen to the entire game. I like the Terps’ play-by-play man Johnny Holiday but he is no Cawood Ledford - too much blather and too little play-by-play.

Based on the broadcast, the Terps put together a good 2nd half. If they play like that, they will be competitive against any team in the conference, particularly at home. Their experienced players played well and Milbourne and a couple of the freshmen had their moments. At this point, I see the ACC as a league with three teams at the top and the rest. Two of the “rest” play Sunday when BC visits Maryland to kick off the conference season. The Terps need to hold serve against these teams at home if they hope to finish near 8-8.

Although DBR took the opportunity to downgrade the Terps’ effort and the local newspapers, I can assure them that the coverage by the Post and Sun is outstanding. They linked the Post article and the Sun coverage is linked below:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/mens/bal-sp.terpshoop07dec07,0,5598550.story

gw67

captmojo
12-07-2007, 08:12 AM
At the end of a business trip in New Mexico last night, I got into the rental car and checked the list of stations on the satellite radio hoping to get a sports news program so I could follow the Terps’ score. I was amazed to find some stations marked ACC. Turning to them, I found the Duke women’s game and the start of the Terps-Morgan State game.

I have been a subscriber to Sirius for 4 years and it breaks my heart that XM has the contract for ACC sports broadcasts. Merger NOW!

riverside6
12-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Yep, being the ACC Hoops junkie that I am, that is the sole reason I went with XM. It is always interesting to hear the radio guys for each of the teams, and you really get far more insight about a team from the local radio guys.

merry
12-07-2007, 05:53 PM
At the end of a business trip in New Mexico last night, I got into the rental car and checked the list of stations on the satellite radio hoping to get a sports news program so I could follow the Terps’ score. I was amazed to find some stations marked ACC. Turning to them, I found the Duke women’s game and the start of the Terps-Morgan State game. The combination of the 90 mile drive and a horrible accident allowed me to listen to the entire game. I like the Terps’ play-by-play man Johnny Holiday but he is no Cawood Ledford - too much blather and too little play-by-play.

Based on the broadcast, the Terps put together a good 2nd half. If they play like that, they will be competitive against any team in the conference, particularly at home. Their experienced players played well and Milbourne and a couple of the freshmen had their moments. At this point, I see the ACC as a league with three teams at the top and the rest. Two of the “rest” play Sunday when BC visits Maryland to kick off the conference season. The Terps need to hold serve against these teams at home if they hope to finish near 8-8.

Although DBR took the opportunity to downgrade the Terps’ effort and the local newspapers, I can assure them that the coverage by the Post and Sun is outstanding. They linked the Post article and the Sun coverage is linked below:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/mens/bal-sp.terpshoop07dec07,0,5598550.story

gw67

The Sun seems to amost always have better Terps coverage than the Post. Also for the record I love Johnny Holliday. One of the things I love about getting XM radio (after getting Duke basketball of course) is getting the Maryland radio team for their games.

gw67
12-08-2007, 10:06 AM
merry,

Years ago, a couple friends and I played in a charity golf tournament and we were teamed with Johnny. As I recall, he wasn't much of a golfer but he sure was funny. He kept us in stitches during the round. He is a talented guy. When he was younger, he starred in many a dinner theater production and had a decent voice. He also put together a basketball team and played games for charity. I saw them play a game in Alexandria and my review of Johnny's ability is that he never saw a shot that he didn't like.

As a non-satellite radio owner, it was great to be able to listen to news and favorite music up in the mountains of New Mexico. I was amazed that I was able to listen to Holiday and Knoche do play-by-play. After I recover from paying the spring tuition and room/board for my youngest, I intend to look into getting one.

gw67