PDA

View Full Version : If Broadway, who for O.C.?

ikiru36
12-06-2007, 11:47 AM
I like a lot about Rob Broadway (as well as Johnson, Logan and Hatcher, for that matter), but a number of posters have noted that he is perhaps more of a Defense oriented coach (at least relative to our other top candidates who are specifically noted for their offensive philosophies.) I agree with many that for both fan's and recruiting's sake, it would be a major positive for Duke to be associated with an exciting/productive offensive system.

Given that Broadway's current salary is under 200k, I'm imagining he would be legitimately and justly signable for, say, under $1 million/year, significantly less than the $2 million we're supposedly willing to pony up for Paul Johnson (given his situation and credentials, justifiable I think). If this is accurate, who would be on people's wish list as an offensive coordinator who might fit well with Broadway and be had for a very competitive salary of, say, 500K(or whatever top O.C.'s are paid)?

A lot of hypotheticals here, but basically noting that an excellent, less expensive head coach might allow for a top flight O.C. to be brought in as well. Just a thought and interested in the O.C. preferences of some excellent posters here who clearly know College FB more intimately than myself.

Thanks!

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. glad to have this merged with one of the coaching search threads, but it seems like a slightly different, more focused topic.

Bluedawg
12-06-2007, 02:13 PM
If my math is correct Granbling State averaged 31 points per game (http://www.gsutigers.com/ssp/mftbl-schedule) so obviously he can put some points on the board.

Acymetric
12-06-2007, 02:31 PM
But who is more responsible for that offense, Broadway himself or the OC at Grambling? (I'm not trying to knock Broadway or say he can't score, but just wondering, if he was in charge of the offense it may not be as big an issue, but if his OC runs the offense then I say we need to get a solid OC in too. Regardless I say get rid of Vaas).

Devilsfan
12-06-2007, 02:32 PM
if a candidate like Broadway is chosen I hope it's because he's the BEST candidate and it just not the pc thing to do, nor it's not because he's the most affordable candidate. I hope we believe in him enough to stake jobs on his performance and truley pay him at least the average salary of an ACC head coach if not more.

Bluedawg
12-06-2007, 02:34 PM
But who is more responsible for that offense, Broadway himself or the OC at Grambling? (I'm not trying to knock Broadway or say he can't score, but just wondering, if he was in charge of the offense it may not be as big an issue, but if his OC runs the offense then I say we need to get a solid OC in too. Regardless I say get rid of Vaas).

My point is the HC picks his OC, and obviously Broadway picks an OC who can score points.

Acymetric
12-06-2007, 02:44 PM
In theory shouldn't every OC be able to score points? Just because someone picked a good OC once doesn't mean the next one they pick will be as effective (on the flip side they could be MORE effective, but us on the outside don't know either way). Would he possibly bring his OC from Grambling?

Troublemaker
12-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Isn't it possible he brings his staff with him?

tux
12-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Honestly, I think it's sort of silly to suggest that Duke would hire a football coach just for the sake of political correctness. Even if they're that stupid, can Joe Alleva afford to make such a hire? People who think Duke should look seriously at an African-American coach are making the assumption (correctly, imo) that there is a pool of quality AA candidates available. So, a really good coach who also happens to be black would be a win-win for Duke.

ikiru36
12-06-2007, 04:41 PM
I guess I was mostly trying to open a (fun?) discussion of who people would favor as a poachable Offensive Coordinator who might be a good fit at Duke. I in no way meant to disparage Broadway's ability to produce points, simply noting that a few of the other top candidates are more frequently noted for their Offensive strengths/systems.

I do suppose, upon thinking about it, that I have slight concern that in the name cachet category, Broadway might be slightly behind the others being discussed (for what it's worth, admittedly not much, he's the only candidate without his own Wikipedia page), making me wonder about who his assistant coaches might be and if any of them might provide some further, recent D-1A cachet.

I'd be just as interested if anyone feels they can speak to whether Broadway has tended towards one offensive philosophy or another (more passing vs. running, style of attack...etc.). What have they run at NCCU/Grambling, under his tenures?

As for the "PC" question, it seems clear to me anyways that Broadway would be legitimate to discuss as a candidate, whatever the shade of his skin. Given his 14 years of assistant coaching at Duke, National Championship pedigree as an Assistant Coach at Florida, ties to the state and region, and his seeming success as a head coach improving 2 different programs (albeit non-D1A, and only 1 year at Grambling), that makes for a pretty good candidate to me. To me this places him in the vicinity of Hatcher and Logan, all being a notch below Johnson as overall candidates, but whomever it is, they'd better want to Coach at Duke understanding the special challenges/opportunities we represent.

I won't bother to analyze why the concern about "race" seems to be raised most everytime his name is brought up, even when there is nothing in the text of the preceeding posts discussing anything but his football qualifications in the same manner as all other candidates are being discussed.

As for how much any potential candidate should be paid, I fully agree that Duke should pay the correct market value for the individual, comparable or slightly superior to whatever other ACC coach's of similar experience/purported ability would make. Nevertheless, if Johnson should not choose Duke, given our apparent willingness to pay him up to $2 million, I hope that whatever the Head Coach's salary is-assuming it is less, we'll still spend the "difference" on other Coaches, program aspects, if there is real value in doing so.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DukeVu
12-06-2007, 07:55 PM
If my math is correct Granbling State averaged 31 points per game (http://www.gsutigers.com/ssp/mftbl-schedule) so obviously he can put some points on the board.

BD - My calculation shows 27.5 ppg and if you leave out the 57 points scored against winless Tex. Southern whose student body decreased by over 2000 in 2006 the average is 24.6. Not very scintillating against the competition that they played. Also they beat Miss. Valley State 40-0 and I couldn't even get the MVS Website up on my screen. Doesn't sound to me that we are exactly going after the cream of the crop in 1AA regardless of PC. I thought Duke was looking for a D1 H. Coach that could put up the points with great offense.:confused:

tux
12-06-2007, 08:04 PM
27.5 ppg is pretty good; to say "Well, it wasn't against great competition" is to ignore the fact that Grambling probably had comparable talent to the schools it played. It's not like Broadway rolled in with the Florida Gators and scored 24 points against MVS. What's all this talk about "putting points on the board" anyway? Broadway and Johnson have both won where they've coached; both have taken struggling programs and won. Period. If we beat UNC next year, it can be 2-0 for all I care...And I'll then be happy to write the Broadway Wikipedia page myself!

ikiru36
12-06-2007, 10:17 PM
27.5 ppg is pretty good; to say "Well, it wasn't against great competition" is to ignore the fact that Grambling probably had comparable talent to the schools it played. It's not like Broadway rolled in with the Florida Gators and scored 24 points against MVS. What's all this talk about "putting points on the board" anyway? Broadway and Johnson have both won where they've coached; both have taken struggling programs and won. Period. If we beat UNC next year, it can be 2-0 for all I care...And I'll then be happy to write the Broadway Wikipedia page myself!

Agreed, completely, 'cept I'll write the Wiki-page first!

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!