PDA

View Full Version : GT Presser?

blazindw
12-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Sorry if this should be in one of the coaching threads, and if that's the case, please move...

Word is that GT was supposed to have an 11:00am press conference regarding their coaching search. Is that the case, and if so, can anyone tell us what was said?

throatybeard
12-06-2007, 11:24 AM
I'll be eager to know--that search has produced more conflicting information than most.

ugadevil
12-06-2007, 11:26 AM
What happened with Tenuta? I've heard Les Miles talk over and over about the situation with LSU and Michigan, but Tenuta was also included in that report about going to Michigan as their defensive coordinator. I found it odd that there weren't any big interviews with him about his impression of what went on with that entire situation. Or maybe there was an interview and I missed it?

Olympic Fan
12-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Jon Tenuta is one of the best, if not THE best, defensive coordinator in the college game.

Even so, it's amazing that he's listed as a finalist for the Georgia Tech job since the GT AD insisted that the most important quality he was looking for was a coach with the charisma and PR skills to sell the program in a market dominated by the pros and UGA (that was his big complaint about Gailey).

For all the positives about Tenuta, public relations skills are at the absolute bottom of the list. In fact, few assistant coaches have been more reclusive and anti-media over the years. That's not a bad thing in an assistant and it wouldn't be a big problem in a lot of head coaching jobs (those with built-in media support, such as most big state schools).

But for an AD looking for a charismatic salesman -- Tenuta would be my last choice.

That said, I disbelieve the 11 a.m. press conference -- if Tech named a new coach, it would be on the wires (and on ESPN) within minutes.

blazindw
12-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Jon Tenuta is one of the best, if not THE best, defensive coordinator in the college game.

Even so, it's amazing that he's listed as a finalist for the Georgia Tech job since the GT AD insisted that the most important quality he was looking for was a coach with the charisma and PR skills to sell the program in a market dominated by the pros and UGA (that was his big complaint about Gailey).

For all the positives about Tenuta, public relations skills are at the absolute bottom of the list. In fact, few assistant coaches have been more reclusive and anti-media over the years. That's not a bad thing in an assistant and it wouldn't be a big problem in a lot of head coaching jobs (those with built-in media support, such as most big state schools).

But for an AD looking for a charismatic salesman -- Tenuta would be my last choice.

That said, I disbelieve the 11 a.m. press conference -- if Tech named a new coach, it would be on the wires (and on ESPN) within minutes.

Apparently, the 11am press conference rumors were false.

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/blog_bwagner.html

jimsumner
12-06-2007, 11:41 AM
No GT press conference scheduled.

ugadevil
12-06-2007, 11:47 AM

I just wonder if he could provide any insight to the rumors that he was going to be hired at Michigan as the def. coordinator with Les Miles as the head coach. Everyone asked Miles about the situation, but did anyone ever talk to Tenuta about it?