PDA

View Full Version : College Campuses

colchar
12-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Here are a couple of interesting lists.

The 20 most beautiful college campuses in America (I particularly like the photo from Kenyon College):

http://campussqueeze.com/the-20-most-beautiful-colleges-in-the-usa/

And the 20 ugliest college campuses in America (Duke fans will appreciate #20 and #7 on this list):

http://campussqueeze.com/static/20-ugliest-colleges-in-the-USA.html

hurleyfor3
12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
I would have swapped Pitt for CMU on the worst colleges list. CMU has a real campus and a few interesting buildings. Pitt has... well, it's right next to CMU, so people might confuse it.

I'd put Dartmouth in the Top 20 too, but then I have a thing for classic New England architecture.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-05-2007, 02:39 PM
I knew NC State would be in there somewhere. And it was - #7. I think they deserve a higher ranking! :D

allenmurray
12-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Here are a couple of interesting lists.

The 20 most beautiful college campuses in America (I particularly like the photo from Kenyon College):

http://campussqueeze.com/the-20-most-beautiful-colleges-in-the-usa/

And the 20 ugliest college campuses in America (Duke fans will appreciate #20 and #7 on this list):

There is a spot about 8 feet square on the quad at the University of Maryland, where if you stand there looking toward McKeldin Library right at sunset, you will actually think you are on an attractive college campus. All the rest is incredibly ugly. When even the Schol of Architecture has an ugly building you know you've got problems.

Lavabe
12-05-2007, 04:14 PM
where is Chapaheeya? Chapaheeya is Carolina Ugly.;)
Cheers,
Lavabe

Rich
12-05-2007, 05:07 PM
How do you have Princeton #2 and Duke not on the list? The architecture is identical.

devildeac
12-05-2007, 05:43 PM
where is Chapaheeya? Chapaheeya is Carolina Ugly.;)
Cheers,
Lavabe

Where is Chapaheeya? You REALLY need to ask that? They are in hell where they belong, oh silly fellow. I hate to admit the next part, however. Their campus is rather pretty, as long as there is no nasty blue in sight.

xenic
12-05-2007, 07:28 PM
I couldn't tell if those were supposed to be commentary on the architecture or the overall feel of the campus.
If it includes overall feel, then it is a travesty to leave UCSC off the list. This place feels like an Ewok is going to jump out at any moment... then you go down hill a bit and get an incredible panoramic view of Monterey Bay. Pretty spectacular.

wilson
12-05-2007, 07:32 PM
How do you have Princeton #2 and Duke not on the list? The architecture is identical.

It's probably because we essentially lifted our architecture from the Ivies/England. Though I'm sure we wouldn't have to try too hard to frame it as yet another instance of Duke-hate.

throatybeard
12-05-2007, 08:02 PM
I find all of this somewhat offensive.

wilson
12-05-2007, 08:49 PM

Why?

DevilAlumna
12-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Okay, so I browsed through some of their archived posts, and in one of their earliest lists, campussqueeze does go after UNC (not sure I agree with their analysis, but whatever):

http://campussqueeze.com/the-five-most-racist-college-nicknames/

This is a more frightening/enlightening post, however. (Warning, do not read after eating. Or before eating): http://campussqueeze.com/crazy-ramen-recipes/

allenmurray
12-05-2007, 09:15 PM

I find the ugliest campus thing a little off-putting. But I have no problems with the "prettiest" campus list. There are some incredibly beautiful campuses around the country and I think celebrating those who have valued fine architecture, landscaping, and being good stewards of what they have to be a positive thing. I am curious why you find it offensive.

I was pleased to see Elon make the list - I've always thought it was a beautiful campus that blended very well with the charming little town that surrounds it.

cspan37421
12-05-2007, 09:23 PM
For the bottom 20, the author says trees don't help anything, but in his top 20, he has a couple entires for which the attractiveness of the picture depends solely on the trees (New College of FL being the prime example).

Not an impressive ranking system. But I was glad to see a picture of Rhodes. I have a friend whose daughter goes there and I had no idea it looked that good.

snowdenscold
12-06-2007, 12:01 AM
I thought Flager looked pretty cool, even though I've never heard of it.

colchar
12-06-2007, 12:53 AM

Why? Is someone not allowed to list what they think are attractive and unattractive campuses? It is only their opinion, after all. Are they not entitled to it?

crote
12-06-2007, 02:24 AM
Not an impressive ranking system. But I was glad to see a picture of Rhodes. I have a friend whose daughter goes there and I had no idea it looked that good.

Rhodes is a pretty school, but I would put both Duke and Princeton ahead of it in the "College Gothic" category.

ugadevil
12-06-2007, 12:01 PM
I thought Flager looked pretty cool, even though I've never heard of it.

I want to say Flagler is in St. Augustine, FL?

Duke4Ever32
12-06-2007, 01:08 PM
I want to say Flagler is in St. Augustine, FL?

You are correct. It's about 20 miles away from where I live. Awesome area to go to college in. I think they currently attract a lot of trendy, alternative-type kids.

Speaking of where I live, I learned last night that apparently Christian Laettner and his family live in my area also, in Ponte Vedra Beach. The wife of a friend of mine has "babysat" his son.

devil84
12-06-2007, 01:57 PM
If NCSU is on there, then the University of Tennessee (Knoxville) and Wright State University (Dayton, OH) should be there, too. Used to work at UT -- the orange alone should qualify it! And Wright State is just a collection of nondescript buildings devoid of most forms of vegetation. Combined with the dreary Dayton winters, it's understandable why most students spend a lot of time in the underground tunnel system networking many buildings.

I've spent a lot of time this past semester on NCSU's campus (picking up/dropping off my daughter and her friends), and while it's not picturesque like Duke, it's not nearly as bad as some others.

dukemomLA
12-07-2007, 05:30 AM
I've seen most, almost all, of the campuses in the US. Not many come close to Princeton, Pepperdine and Duke. I can't believe that Duke is not on this list!

UCSantaCruz has something to offer in beauty. UColorado at Boulder is pretty spectacular. BUT...the Duke campus is the rival to none. With its forest and gardens, its architecture and 'rural' setting, it truly is beautiful.

ugadevil
12-07-2007, 10:19 AM
If NCSU is on there, then the University of Tennessee (Knoxville) and Wright State University (Dayton, OH) should be there, too. Used to work at UT -- the orange alone should qualify it!

I hear people talk a lot about how bad UT is. It's all a question of preference but do you really think it's that bad? I know there are parts of campus that are gross but I have been down on the river on gameday weekends and I thought that was one of the coolest scenes. When the stadium is lit up and with the orange lights on the bridge and all the boats around, I loved it. Maybe that would be under a different category than "college campus"?

devil84
12-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Yes, ugadevil, for the six or so Saturdays where there's a home football game, the view from Neyland Stadium to the river does look pretty cool. But that leaves the other 354 days...

lavell12
12-23-2007, 12:44 AM
Maryland is 20th and NC State is 7th. Living in Raleigh I can say that NCST is one of the worst campuses I have ever been on it isn't in the same league as Duke or even UNC.

Uncle Drew
12-23-2007, 01:04 AM
I read the list of ugliest and though I have only passed through a few on the list, but from the pictures; if they buried Frank Loyd Wright on any of the campuses he would rise from the dead and give the school the one finger salute. I for one would put Georgia Tech's campus on the list, or should I say campuses. GT is like three campuses spread out over Atlanta and to say at least one part is not in the best neighborhood is an understatement. And when perimeter 295 runs right by the campus with crazy Georgia drivers going MPH I'm sure they have to sound proof the rooms to be able to teach class.

I happened to look at the most beautiful campuses and quite frankly Duke not making their list makes me discount anything they have to say. The closest thing to a campus being as beautiful as Duke is Cambridge in England. And again this is US colleges. I live right near Elon and it too has a pretty campus, but Duke Chapel alone would take NCSU off the worst dressed list and put them on the fashion do's list.

Indoor66
12-23-2007, 08:51 AM
I read the list of ugliest and though I have only passed through a few on the list, but from the pictures; if they buried Frank Loyd Wright on any of the campuses he would rise from the dead and give the school the one finger salute. I for one would put Georgia Tech's campus on the list, or should I say campuses. GT is like three campuses spread out over Atlanta and to say at least one part is not in the best neighborhood is an understatement. And when perimeter 295 runs right by the campus with crazy Georgia drivers going MPH I'm sure they have to sound proof the rooms to be able to teach class.

I happened to look at the most beautiful campuses and quite frankly Duke not making their list makes me discount anything they have to say. The closest thing to a campus being as beautiful as Duke is Cambridge in England. And again this is US colleges. I live right near Elon and it too has a pretty campus, but Duke Chapel alone would take NCSU off the worst dressed list and put them on the fashion do's list.

Have you ever seen Florida Southern College in Lakeland, FL? It is a campus designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It is breathtaking, lying next to a lake and having many buildings viewable in the reflections off the water. Truly unique.

DevilHorse
12-23-2007, 10:10 AM
As a person that spent 4 years at SUNY Albany, I was surprized that it appeared on the Ugliest Campuses list. The campus was designed by
Edward Durell Stone, who designed the Kennedy Center, RAdio City Music Center, and Museum of Modern Art amongst other buildings.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Durell_Stone
for a further list. This is not a poorly thought out, eclectic set of shacks.

The uptown campus was at the time the largest piece of poured concrete in the world (OK, could be depressing). But if you like symmetry, it was the place to be. It also has a neat tunnel system underneath.
It can be a little depressing when you live in a snow environment and the campus is made of white stone, but I'm not sure that is an architecture issue :^)

Perhaps the people compiling the list had axes to grind.

Larry
DevilHorse

Lavabe
12-23-2007, 11:35 AM
I for one would put Georgia Tech's campus on the list, or should I say campuses. GT is like three campuses spread out over Atlanta and to say at least one part is not in the best neighborhood is an understatement. And when perimeter 295 runs right by the campus with crazy Georgia drivers going MPH I'm sure they have to sound proof the rooms to be able to teach class.

Huh? Perimeter 295? Huh?:confused: :confused:

Sources of confusion:
1) The perimeter is I-285;
2) The perimeter runs nowhere near Tech (the 14+ lane I75-85 connector runs beside it);
3) 3 campuses spread out over Atlanta: HUH? GT is pretty localized. I guess you're correct if you consider that Tech and Emory (near Druid Hills, way far away from Tech) offer a joint medical/engineering program, but that's stretching it. Likewise, Georgia State University is also found near the connector south of Tech, but I wouldn't call that part of Tech.

Although I am not fond of the Jackets (and I agree completely with your comments about Duke), many folks in Atlanta enjoy Tech's campus, especially with the big city lights and buildings nearby. I also agree that it's beside some not-great areas, but the same could be argued by critics of Duke.

Where I disagree with the locals love of Tech is the lack of both college-town feel and greenspace. I've grown fond of a number of schools with college-town feel & greenspace, such as Berserkeley and UWashington, that seem to bring that atmosphere beside/within large metropolitan areas. It's a tough task to pull off, but they really are wonderful campuses. I wish Tech had the greenspace & college-town feel to rival these two campuses.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Huh?
12-23-2007, 12:25 PM
NCSU is horrid..... Also the fact that they think they are big rivals to other NC schools is a joke, no one cares about NCSU. Oh yeah, and why do they all have to drive red cars?

tecumseh
12-23-2007, 12:35 PM
I think CMUs campus is not that bad, the author admits he has never been there. The picture shows a gorge that runs through the campus and has to be contended with but there is a fair amount of green space. Pitts campus has the Cathedral of Learning or Tower of Ignorance which is really quite a handsome building and dominates campus after that it is a hodge podge of buildings.

The ugliest building on campus award would go to the old law school at Washington University in St. Louis which was the biggest eyesore I have ever seen on any campus hands down.

Uncle Drew
12-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Huh? Perimeter 295? Huh?:confused: :confused:

Sources of confusion:
1) The perimeter is I-285;
2) The perimeter runs nowhere near Tech (the 14+ lane I75-85 connector runs beside it);
3) 3 campuses spread out over Atlanta: HUH? GT is pretty localized. I guess you're correct if you consider that Tech and Emory (near Druid Hills, way far away from Tech) offer a joint medical/engineering program, but that's stretching it. Likewise, Georgia State University is also found near the connector south of Tech, but I wouldn't call that part of Tech.

Although I am not fond of the Jackets (and I agree completely with your comments about Duke), many folks in Atlanta enjoy Tech's campus, especially with the big city lights and buildings nearby. I also agree that it's beside some not-great areas, but the same could be argued by critics of Duke.

Where I disagree with the locals love of Tech is the lack of both college-town feel and greenspace. I've grown fond of a number of schools with college-town feel & greenspace, such as Berserkeley and UWashington, that seem to bring that atmosphere beside/within large metropolitan areas. It's a tough task to pull off, but they really are wonderful campuses. I wish Tech had the greenspace & college-town feel to rival these two campuses.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Okay it was late Saturday night / early Sunday morning and I had a widdle bit of egg nog in me. My brain knew 285, but my fingers typed 295. If you'd ask me what interstates I live off of I would have said I-80 / I-45. And yes the connector was what I was thinking of in my head. Man there is one section of Atlanta that has a few GT buildings, I could drive you there if I was down there because I've been by it 20 times. (My mom is from Cumming, my aunt lives in Sandy Springs and I had an Uncle up your way in Marietta. The spousal unit even went to Kenesaw State!) That section has UGLY buildings and the entire area looks dirty for lack of a better word. GT doesn't have the room to put in it's own rainforest, or more appropriately a grove of peach trees. I just think some of the old GT buildings could use some beautification. Athens is a pretty college town and they've kept old with modern to give it a unique look. Every town from Atlanta, to Athens from Durham to Chapel Hell has it's nice and not so nice sections. And what was quaint 40 years ago may look like hells kitchen today.

Have you ever seen Florida Southern College in Lakeland, FL? It is a campus designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It is breathtaking, lying next to a lake and having many buildings viewable in the reflections off the water. Truly unique.

Indoor as an art major who took many courses in architecture I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of the school much the less know FLR designed it. Where is Lakeland and was FSC called something else before that? I would freakin' love to see it, you've actually got me chomping at the bit to head down that way since I have the week off and there's no Duke games until January.

Indoor66
12-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Okay it was late Saturday night / early Sunday morning and I had a widdle bit of egg nog in me. My brain knew 285, but my fingers typed 295. If you'd ask me what interstates I live off of I would have said I-80 / I-45. And yes the connector was what I was thinking of in my head. Man there is one section of Atlanta that has a few GT buildings, I could drive you there if I was down there because I've been by it 20 times. (My mom is from Cumming, my aunt lives in Sandy Springs and I had an Uncle up your way in Marietta. The spousal unit even went to Kenesaw State!) That section has UGLY buildings and the entire area looks dirty for lack of a better word. GT doesn't have the room to put in it's own rainforest, or more appropriately a grove of peach trees. I just think some of the old GT buildings could use some beautification. Athens is a pretty college town and they've kept old with modern to give it a unique look. Every town from Atlanta, to Athens from Durham to Chapel Hell has it's nice and not so nice sections. And what was quaint 40 years ago may look like hells kitchen today.

Indoor as an art major who took many courses in architecture I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of the school much the less know FLR designed it. Where is Lakeland and was FSC called something else before that? I would freakin' love to see it, you've actually got me chomping at the bit to head down that way since I have the week off and there's no Duke games until January.

http://www.lakeland.net/

http://www.flsouthern.edu/

merry
12-23-2007, 03:28 PM
A list of the 20 prettiest campuses that doesn't include Stanford seems very wrong to me. Of course I'd include Duke on that list as well but that's just me.

As for the ugliest, they left out some urban comcrete box campuses entirely, but then picked on NC State? Whatever.

jimsumner
12-23-2007, 03:30 PM
"Living in Raleigh I can say that NCST is one of the worst campuses I have ever been on it isn't in the same league as Duke or even UNC."

State has its charms, if you like bricks. Evidently the Fuller Brick Salesman came through one day and unloaded his entire stock at a discount.

State's problem is that it was built in the 1890s at what was then considered the edge of Raleigh. Now Raleigh surrounds a school that keeps adding students and they're running out of places to grow, so they keep replacing green, growing stuff with bricks and undistinguished skyscrapers. And moving football stadiums, basketball arenas, vet schools and centennial campus away from the core.

The centennial campus, which is nearby but not contigious, is much nicer. It even has a lake. Unfortunately, we'll be drinking it dry soon if something doesn't change.

FWIW, NCSU has the third best basketball tradition in the ACC.

GDT
12-23-2007, 06:35 PM
(I particularly like the photo from Kenyon College)

In exchange for the beautiful campus, we got one of the worst nicknames (go lords!).

burnspbesq
12-23-2007, 07:24 PM
The guy's choices for the California representatives on the ugliest list are all wrong. Any list of the ugliest college campuses in America that doesn't include Cal State Fullerton has no credibility whatsoever. UC Santa Barbara deserves honorable mention for Worst Use of an Incredibly Scenic Location. And Loyola Marymount is neck-and-neck with the University of Dallas for the special award for Ugliest Catholic School.

burnspbesq
12-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Where are Stanford, Dartmouth, Duke, Williams, Washington & Lee, West Point, and the Coast Guard Academy?

Pepperdine is all setting -- there isn't a single decent building on the entire campus.

I can understand leaving UVa off the list because there hasn't been a decent building built there in at least 100 years, but it has to get honorable mention for the original, Jefferson-designed buildings. If there is a prettier building than the Rotunda on any college campus anywhere, I've never seen it.

ugadevil
12-23-2007, 08:57 PM
GT doesn't have the room to put in it's own rainforest, or more appropriately a grove of peach trees. I just think some of the old GT buildings could use some beautification. Athens is a pretty college town and they've kept old with modern to give it a unique look.

Can't believe I missed this post! Amen, Athens is a pretty college town, especially on Milledge Avenue during rush for sororities.:D I would say that UGA's North Campus, near the Arch, would rank at the top with any other university in the country. As for the trade school in Atlanta, well...that's Georgia's version of hell.

Uncle Drew
12-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Can't believe I missed this post! Amen, Athens is a pretty college town, especially on Milledge Avenue during rush for sororities.:D I would say that UGA's North Campus, near the Arch, would rank at the top with any other university in the country. As for the trade school in Atlanta, well...that's Georgia's version of hell.

My cousin a UGA grad and member of the Athens Chamber of commerce took us all around Athens a few years back. I have to say I was amazed at the facilities UGA has for ALL sports. For those who don't know their womens gymnastics team even has it's own huge practice / competition facility. The area where Michael Stipe has bought up all the old houses and basically made his own commune is beautiful and sticks to the original architecture of the town.

I can't even call Durham a college town, due to Dukes seclusion from Durham itself. But I have to say Athens is by far my favorite college town and UGA is by far my favorite SEC school. And for what it's worth God put some FINE, FINE, FINE women on the UGA campus. I think they just need to call it the peach state and forget the whole tree thing!

Indoor I looked at pics of the Florida Southern campus and I have to wonder how it didn't make the list. Most likely because it's not very well known, I'd never heard of the school before you mentioned it. As for anyone who thinks Berkley is a beautiful campus it is, but all the protesting, freak of nature, anything goes people on campus from one day to the next distract anyone looking at the facilities. But hey, at least it's not Cal St. Hayward!

Lavabe
12-24-2007, 12:37 AM
My cousin a UGA grad and member of the Athens Chamber of commerce took us all around Athens a few years back. I have to say I was amazed at the facilities UGA has for ALL sports. For those who don't know their womens gymnastics team even has it's own huge practice / competition facility. The area where Michael Stipe has bought up all the old houses and basically made his own commune is beautiful and sticks to the original architecture of the town.

I can't even call Durham a college town, due to Dukes seclusion from Durham itself. But I have to say Athens is by far my favorite college town and UGA is by far my favorite SEC school. And for what it's worth God put some FINE, FINE, FINE women on the UGA campus. I think they just need to call it the peach state and forget the whole tree thing!

Indoor I looked at pics of the Florida Southern campus and I have to wonder how it didn't make the list. Most likely because it's not very well known, I'd never heard of the school before you mentioned it. As for anyone who thinks Berkley is a beautiful campus it is, but all the protesting, freak of nature, anything goes people on campus from one day to the next distract anyone looking at the facilities. But hey, at least it's not Cal St. Hayward!

Athens is a little slice of heaven, and the music/arts community have ensured that it remains top notch. But don't dismiss Berkeley's renovation. This isn't the 60's. Both are solid college towns; whereas Athens has the non big city feel for a college town, Berkeley still gives you access to a great large city. And trying to blend college town with big city is NOT that easy to do. As for distractions and "freak of nature" comments... some would argue that football Saturdays in some places bring out the same. Every place has its "distractions," including Athens.

My only regret about Athens is that I wish the Ga Legislature would put in a Brain Train connection with Atlanta. An initial draft proposal had the train link UGA, Emory, Tech, and IIRC, GSU, and more colleges..

Cheers,
Lavabe

Uncle Drew
12-24-2007, 01:30 AM
Athens is a little slice of heaven, and the music/arts community have ensured that it remains top notch. But don't dismiss Berkeley's renovation. This isn't the 60's. Both are solid college towns; whereas Athens has the non big city feel for a college town, Berkeley still gives you access to a great large city. And trying to blend college town with big city is NOT that easy to do. As for distractions and "freak of nature" comments... some would argue that football Saturdays in some places bring out the same. Every place has its "distractions," including Athens.

My only regret about Athens is that I wish the Ga Legislature would put in a Brain Train connection with Atlanta. An initial draft proposal had the train link UGA, Emory, Tech, and IIRC, GSU, and more colleges..

Cheers,
Lavabe

Who's talking about the 60's, I'm talking last week! My ex wife was from the bay area, and my ex father in law was a security guard on campus. Almost every day someone protesting something was trying to cram their ideology down the throat of anyone passing by. I mean I like baby seals as much as the next guy (they taste great with a little katsup....jk) but does that type of thing really influence peoples opinion?

Let me get this straight Lavabe, you want MORE construction in the metro Atlanta area?!?!?! I'm only kidding, I heard about that proposed plan and I thought it was a great idea, especially since my tax dollars wouldn't be paying for it. I also heard they were planning to make the perimeter double decker 16 lanes going each way which sounded great too. But in six months it would be clogged up every morning and every afternoon too. Again my taxes wouldn't pay for it so spend away!

Athens is a great town in general that has retained it's history while advancing to the modern age with grace. (I would like to get the people who vandalized the old cemetery a few years back in a locked room for about an hour, but that's a whole different story.) You can get most any type food you want, clubs and bars of every taste, getting around (any day but a UGA home football game) is easy and the people still have the southern friendly charm that left Atlanta in the 1970's.

Lavabe
12-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Who's talking about the 60's, I'm talking last week! My ex wife was from the bay area, and my ex father in law was a security guard on campus. Almost every day someone protesting something was trying to cram their ideology down the throat of anyone passing by. I mean I like baby seals as much as the next guy (they taste great with a little katsup....jk) but does that type of thing really influence peoples opinion?

Let me get this straight Lavabe, you want MORE construction in the metro Atlanta area?!?!?! I'm only kidding, I heard about that proposed plan and I thought it was a great idea, especially since my tax dollars wouldn't be paying for it. I also heard they were planning to make the perimeter double decker 16 lanes going each way which sounded great too. But in six months it would be clogged up every morning and every afternoon too. Again my taxes wouldn't pay for it so spend away!

Athens is a great town in general that has retained it's history while advancing to the modern age with grace. (I would like to get the people who vandalized the old cemetery a few years back in a locked room for about an hour, but that's a whole different story.) You can get most any type food you want, clubs and bars of every taste, getting around (any day but a UGA home football game) is easy and the people still have the southern friendly charm that left Atlanta in the 1970's.

One person's protesting is another person's activism ... I'd reply another way, but that might kick this thread into the Twilight Zone (a.k.a. the Public Policy Board). I visited last fall and had no such "cramming down the throat" experience. When I taught at UGA, did I see protest and student activism? Yes, just as you see on many college campuses. Whereas some get annoyed with having things shoved down their throat, I get annoyed with the spelling of DAWG and people literally woofing near/at me... on a Tuesday in the spring (I forgot ... there's SPRING football too).;)

At the very least, the "any type of food you want" is a little exaggerated. WHile it's FANTASTIC for a college town, it lacks the breadth and depth of many international and new AMerican cuisines you see even in big cities like Atlanta. But I agree that the cuisines that are there are dandy. THE GRIT!

As transportation and massive sprawl are big issues here in GA, I'm all in favor of the continued surface road hypergrowth that is: a) destroying the landscape between UGA and Atlanta; b) placing further demands on even more dwindling natural resources between the two cities; c) making the traffic even more unbearable and clogged in Gwinnett county; and d) making exchange of research and development prisoner to ever-escalating gas-prices and congestion. :rolleyes: More importantly, Atlanta is spreading closer and closer to Athens. I wonder how the infrastructure in UGA gets clogged with the current rapid pace of development. We'll soon call Athens a suburb, not an exurb of Atlanta. Sounds good to me Latta!;)

My only addendum is that the Brain Train might also include a UGA link to Medical College of Georgia in Augusta. The Brain Train idea is to REDUCE the congestion and to facilitate the research and education communities. IMHO, not having the state's medical school on campus is a sore point with UGA. I'd also love to see more collaboration with the engineers at Tech. An increase in research & collaboration among Georgia's colleges will improve higher education in this state.

The brain train idea sure beats the current state of out-of-control growth! And in the last few weeks we have now had recent reports that Georgia's traffic is now finally hurting our ability to attract businesses.

To be fair, the double-decker highway idea is a discussion, but as I recall, it included tunnels. Some of the big transportation discussions going on here include: expansion of MARTA (including a spike to address the CDC, hospital, Emory complex, and a circle-like route across Atlanta), surface public transit/trolleys largely on exisiting rail lines, and, gasp, more roads, including a perimeter north of the current perimeter.

In summary:
1) ugadevil's thoughts on the "trade school" in Atlanta ... agreed.
2) small city charm of Athens ... agreed.
3) protest/spring football woofing on college campuses ... disagreement.
4) traffic/congestion stinks... agreed, but disagreement as to how to address it.
5) cemetery vandals stink ... agreed.

Cheers,
Lavabe

ugadevil
12-24-2007, 10:21 AM
I'll stay on the bandwagon that has currently hijacked this thread!:)

I have to say I was amazed at the facilities UGA has for ALL sports. For those who don't know their womens gymnastics team even has it's own huge practice / competition facility.

For those who don't know, there's not a more deserving sports program for a new facility than the women's gymnastics team at UGA. The women have won 3 straight national championships and have a good chance at winning number 4 this year with two olympians on the team. And their new facility is beautiful! (Also used by the two basketball teams)

When I taught at UGA, did I see protest and student activism? Yes, just as you see on many college campuses. Whereas some get annoyed with having things shoved down their throat, I get annoyed with the spelling of DAWG and people literally woofing near/at me... on a Tuesday in the spring (I forgot ... there's SPRING football too).;)

I'm not sure how it works on other campuses but at UGA the protesters aren't as noticeable because they are really limited to only one spot on campus. There is a courtyard between the student bookstore and student center where people will come and protest or yell about various topics, and they get some attention, but that is still the only real free speech zone on campus. I guess it keeps the attention away from it because you just don't see it all that often, unless you're right in that part of campus. However, Lava's definitely right on the football side, we tailgate and fill up the stadium for the spring scrimmage!

More importantly, Atlanta is spreading closer and closer to Athens. I wonder how the infrastructure in UGA gets clogged with the current rapid pace of development. We'll soon call Athens a suburb, not an exurb of Atlanta.

I think that's already started. You don't see it in Athens Clarke County very much, but it's definitely becoming noticeable in Oconee County, which is the bordering county with Athens. People are moving to Oconee Co. and taking 316 to get to their jobs in Atlanta because Oconee is a growing area with good schools and a strong local economy. Certainly doesn't hurt to have the literate elite from the university.

My only addendum is that the Brain Train might also include a UGA link to Medical College of Georgia in Augusta. The Brain Train idea is to REDUCE the congestion and to facilitate the research and education communities. IMHO, not having the state's medical school on campus is a sore point with UGA.

I'm in agreement for putting Augusta on the route but for a different reason. I say it'd be good just so I can have a way to get over to Augusta National during the Masters.:D Actually though, the plan is to move the Medical College to Athens in the next couple years. They would like to use the Naval Supply Campus as the medical school because it is right beside a hospital and then would be more intertwined with UGA's campus. I don't know what that means for the Naval Supply aspect of things. Not sure how much progress they're making, but it's one of President Adams' goals.

Indoor66
12-24-2007, 10:32 AM
It's that darn Atlanta Mafia again.

bluelou
12-24-2007, 11:10 AM
In exchange for the beautiful campus, we got one of the worst nicknames (go lords!).

Admittedly biased since I went there, but I loved Kenyon's campus and found it much more attractive than Duke (although Duke athletics were a step up - save swimming). The "village" of gambier, and the surrounding countryside really helped too.

Though the only thing worse than being nicknamed the Kenyon Lords would probably be if you were on a women's team - which would make you the Kenyon Ladies...

Lavabe
12-24-2007, 11:53 AM
It's that darn Atlanta Mafia again.

Sorry Indoor ... but if you make me an offer to become part of the NC, DC, California, Pacific Northwest, or Kalamazoo mafia (picking up on ohioguy's Ymm Beer comment), I'm all ears.;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

Uncle Drew
12-24-2007, 01:14 PM
If I were not sticking around to look after my moms needs here in NC I would already be in the Atlanta area. The job market didn't go through the hits it did here in NC. My relatives were like, "what recession"? The clubs in Buckhead are as good as anywhere I have been to except maybe NYC and Paris France. (You have to know the right people in Paris!) Georgia still has rural beauty and wilderness and as urban an area as you could want. As a son of a peach I think they would stamp my passport and give me a visa to work there. Considering the state started out as a penal colony it's not a bad place to live. (I stay out of south Georgia, the gnats in the summer are murder!) :p

Uncle Drew
12-24-2007, 01:15 PM
And since this thread is supposed to be about colleges, I have to give props to my moms alma matter Berry College for having a very, very pretty campus!

Lavabe
12-24-2007, 01:46 PM
And since this thread is supposed to be about colleges, I have to give props to my moms alma matter Berry College for having a very, very pretty campus!

Amen! How about the deer meadow on campus?

Cheers,
Lavabe

Uncle Drew
12-26-2007, 12:50 AM
Amen! How about the deer meadow on campus?

Cheers,
Lavabe

Truth be told I'm not exactly sure where you're talking about. But the grist mill / water wheel on campus is very pretty. I have done a series of wood burnings of it for my mom and her siblings who went to Berry. (Yes I have done a wood burning of Duke Chapel for myself (even though I never wen there.). With all due respect to all the colleges and universities across the country with Duke chapel on the grounds it should instantly vault any school into the top ten. (Yes Jim. even NCSU)

Lavabe
12-26-2007, 10:18 PM
For a photo: http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv16427.php

For a youtube link of a baby deer on the campus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeGi-erirF0

The deer are tame ... there's a long history of deer on the college campus.

Cheers,
Lavabe