PDA

View Full Version : Alex Legion to transfer from UK

kydevil
12-03-2007, 10:31 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7522442

Billy G can't beat Gardner Webb, struggles against Stony Brook, now loses a pretty solid player in Legion. Legion claims it wasn't because of the lack of minutes? Which could possibly be true, he played 30 + in a game once this year. I would like to know why exactly he left and where he may end up?

Capn Poptart
12-03-2007, 10:41 PM
He originally signed with Michigan, then was released.

Maybe Gardner-Webb?

ikiru36
12-04-2007, 02:27 AM
Perhaps as his original link at Michigan was with Tommy Amaker(changing his mind when Tommy was fired), he should transfer to Harvard!

Patrick Yates
12-04-2007, 08:13 AM
I think we could be in for some big time fireworks at KY this year. As it has been widely reported, and more widely speculated upon, Billy G has yet to sign a contract in KY. There is much speculation that Billy and the AD (whoever that is) DO NOT see eye to eye. Apparantly Billy is somewhat abbrasive and dictatorial. That is fine once you have won a NC and gone to multiple FFs. Until this occurs, you have to play nice.

And, lets face it, the year has not gone well for KY. The Garner Webb loss is like the App St. loss for Michigan, only worse. Heck, App St would prbably go to a bowl out of any conference other than the Pac-10 or SEC, and maybe even then. They are a/the power at their level. Garner Webb is a never ran at a nothing conference. I am from NC, and the kind of kids that matriculate at that school have no business being on the floor with KY. From now on, every time the TV shows Billy G's UK Wildcats, this loss will be mentioned. He can be the next Wooden, and this loss will still be mentioned. So he is not exactly occupying a warm fuzzy place in the hearts of the Wildcat Faithful.

As for Legion, I am not surprised. If you look at Billy's recruiting, he has essentially recruited over Legion already, and he is actively pursuing a kid named Scotty Hopson. This kid is supposedly a very athletic SG, who has been committed to Miss St forever. He is also born and raised in KY. Hopson did not sign with MSU, and is stringing them along. Pretty much everyone expects him to sign with KY. In a rare display of rational thinking at the prep level, the kid seems to be waiting to make sure that Billy is the coach before he committs. I don't know where he will go, but I would not bet against a return to Michigan, or a feisty Detroit squad. Regardless, a hopson committ, combined with the other commitments, both next year and beyond, and Legion had to know that competition would be brutal in Lexington for his entire career. I am not saying that Legion is scared of Comp, but the thought of waging a War of Attrition for every second of PT is not a comforting thought.

Thus, there could be trouble a-brewing up in Lexington. Billy's practices are supposedly brutal. That may work when you are attracting good, under-valued players to non-powers. But elite athletes, like at KY, do not like having football practices instead of B-ball practices. Let's all sit back and enjoy what I hope will be some extreme ugliness this summer. Beats reruns.

Patrick Yates

Karl Beem
12-04-2007, 08:21 AM
How's PP's not playing center and getting 20 shots per game working out?:rolleyes:

hondoheel
12-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Did Patterson "pick" the right school?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fQ3xO3WsIAU

monkey
12-04-2007, 10:22 AM

This is one of the funnier clips I've seen in a while. Thanks for posting this.

monkey
12-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Not sure what this says about Legion himself ...

LOI to Michigan ... then cuts and runs (albeit under circumstances of a coaching change) ...

Six games into his tenure at Kentucky he cuts and runs again ...

Even if Gillepsie is a complete dictator, this kid isn't exactly exhibiting huge amounts of "moral fiber"

Classof06
12-04-2007, 10:38 AM

LOI to Michigan ... then cuts and runs (albeit under circumstances of a coaching change) ...

Even if Gillepsie is a complete dictator, this kid isn't exactly exhibiting huge amounts of "moral fiber"

I agree. You can't run anytime you face a little bit of adversity, and if playing 17 minutes a game as a freshman at UK is adversity, then I need to be like him.

From what I'm hearing, a lot of this has to do with Legion's mother who by all accounts is a little "out there". That would explain some things because this kid is only 6 games into his college career. How much can you really dislike your team already?

Jeffrey
12-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Hi,

Tommy is probably lucky he did not end up coaching Legion.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Dukiedevil
12-04-2007, 11:53 AM
From what I'm hearing, a lot of this has to do with Legion's mother who by all accounts is a little "out there". That would explain some things because this kid is only 6 games into his college career. How much can you really dislike your team already?

You're probably right based on this.

http://www.kentucky.com/158/story/189453.html

Wow.

Maybe God changed his mind...

blazindw
12-04-2007, 12:42 PM

From all accounts that I hear from my friends back home, he left Detroit Country Day to go to Oak Hill Academy because he felt that DCD wasn't giving him enough national exposure. This being the same school that had Chris Webber, our beloved Shane Battier...and myself!

Look for him to transfer to a school somewhere closer to home...perhaps a smaller school where he can look to be "the man"

Classof06
12-04-2007, 01:46 PM

Wow.

Maybe God changed his mind...

Haha, now that Legion is gone, is UK still "destined" for the 2009 Final Four?

greybeard
12-04-2007, 02:30 PM
I think we could be in for some big time fireworks at KY this year. As it has been widely reported, and more widely speculated upon, Billy G has yet to sign a contract in KY. There is much speculation that Billy and the AD (whoever that is) DO NOT see eye to eye. Apparantly Billy is somewhat abbrasive and dictatorial. That is fine once you have won a NC and gone to multiple FFs. Until this occurs, you have to play nice.

And, lets face it, the year has not gone well for KY. The Garner Webb loss is like the App St. loss for Michigan, only worse. Heck, App St would prbably go to a bowl out of any conference other than the Pac-10 or SEC, and maybe even then. They are a/the power at their level. Garner Webb is a never ran at a nothing conference. I am from NC, and the kind of kids that matriculate at that school have no business being on the floor with KY. From now on, every time the TV shows Billy G's UK Wildcats, this loss will be mentioned. He can be the next Wooden, and this loss will still be mentioned. So he is not exactly occupying a warm fuzzy place in the hearts of the Wildcat Faithful.

As for Legion, I am not surprised. If you look at Billy's recruiting, he has essentially recruited over Legion already, and he is actively pursuing a kid named Scotty Hopson. This kid is supposedly a very athletic SG, who has been committed to Miss St forever. He is also born and raised in KY. Hopson did not sign with MSU, and is stringing them along. Pretty much everyone expects him to sign with KY. In a rare display of rational thinking at the prep level, the kid seems to be waiting to make sure that Billy is the coach before he committs. I don't know where he will go, but I would not bet against a return to Michigan, or a feisty Detroit squad. Regardless, a hopson committ, combined with the other commitments, both next year and beyond, and Legion had to know that competition would be brutal in Lexington for his entire career. I am not saying that Legion is scared of Comp, but the thought of waging a War of Attrition for every second of PT is not a comforting thought.

Thus, there could be trouble a-brewing up in Lexington. Billy's practices are supposedly brutal. That may work when you are attracting good, under-valued players to non-powers. But elite athletes, like at KY, do not like having football practices instead of B-ball practices. Let's all sit back and enjoy what I hope will be some extreme ugliness this summer. Beats reruns.

Patrick Yates

POTM; a terrific look inside; informative and a great read. Props Mr. Yates!

heath_harshman4
12-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Haha, now that Legion is gone, is UK still "destined" for the 2009 Final Four?

OH NO, I AM HAVING A PROPHECY!!!

Duke will go to the final 4 if they win every game in March and April!

LET MY WILL BE DONE

shadowfax336
12-05-2007, 08:37 AM
So apparently this decision lasted just long enough for his mom to leave the room...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/12/04/legion.kentucky/index.html

kydevil
12-05-2007, 08:57 AM

I was gonna post this but you beat me to it, hillarious.

Turtleboy
12-05-2007, 09:36 AM

Wow.

Maybe God changed his mind...Now that is some strange stuff. Not the least of which is her claim to have no clue that Kentucky is a basketball school. And her a basketball coach.

I am not the least bit surprised that her son may be confused about what he wants to do, if she is giving him guidance.

Got_Duke
12-05-2007, 10:34 AM
What Legion should do is talk to his buddy and former Oak Hill teammate Nolan Smith, at which point Smith will tell him to check into Duke. At the same time, Smith should pitch the idea to Coach K.

Could you imagine a back court with Smith, Elliot Williams, Alex Legion, Paulus, Scheyer, and Henderson (he Hendo doesn't go pro)?

Granted Henderson plays more in the position of SF. Scheyer could also play the SF spot. And a four guard rotation would not surprise me with our smaller lineup strategy.

So that leaves Smith, Williams, Legion, and Paulus to fill in the two guard spots. With the new style of keeping fresh legs in the game, Duke could play Paulus and Williams at the same time and bring in Smith and Legion as subs, and interchange the four guards in any combination.

That would be sick!

Would never happen, but I'm saying the Nolan Smith - Alex Legion connection could be used to Duke's benefit.

And a starting lineup could look like this:

Paulus
Smith
Henderson
Thomas
Singler

Or like this:

Paulus
Scheyer
Williams
Henderson
Singler

Or if Hendo goes pro:

Paulus
Smith
Legion
Scheyer
Singler

Or like this:

Paulus
Smith
Williams
Scheyer
Singler

Or the four-guard lineup:

Paulus
Smith
Williams
Legion
Singler

Or:

Smith
Legion
Williams
Thomas
Singler

Or:

Smith
Legion
Williams
Scheyer
Singler

IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES!

Channing
12-05-2007, 12:25 PM
didnt UK go through this whole ordeal with Joe Crawford his freshman year . . . and then a somewhat similar issue with Randolph Morris (im going pro/ no im not/ yes i am/ im not getting drafted)

Troublemaker
12-05-2007, 12:35 PM
What Legion should do is talk to his buddy and former Oak Hill teammate Nolan Smith, at which point Smith will tell him to check into Duke. At the same time, Smith should pitch the idea to Coach K.

IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES!

He doesn't appear to fit the Duke mold.

monkey
12-05-2007, 05:04 PM
He doesn't appear to fit the Duke mold.

plus, not to bag on the guy's mom, but haven't we had enough parent head-cases without adding another to the program?

Jeffrey
12-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Hi,

This sure does seem like a bad situation just getting worse. Geez, how many college games has the young man even played?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Got_Duke
12-06-2007, 01:22 AM
a quick, slashing guard doesn't "fit the Duke mold?"

well i guess we should get rid of Nolan Smith, DeMarcus Nelson, and Gerald Henderson.......

CMS2478
12-06-2007, 09:19 AM
a quick, slashing guard doesn't "fit the Duke mold?"

well i guess we should get rid of Nolan Smith, DeMarcus Nelson, and Gerald Henderson.......

Can't really speak for the poster, but I think they were saying Legion the person, (not the player) doesn't fit the Duke mold. Whether that is true or not I don't know, just wanted to clarify.

ikiru36
12-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Can't really speak for the poster, but I think they were saying Legion the person, (not the player) doesn't fit the Duke mold. Whether that is true or not I don't know, just wanted to clarify.

There are lots of great players who might help Duke in some very short run, but either don't fit Duke academically, personality wise, or in terms of specific team needs at the time. Not intending this as a personal slam on these specific players but from a pure skill standpoint, certainly Duke (or any team) could use guys like Mayo or Beasley. We didn't go after them, as far as I know, for a variety of these reasons, I imagine.

From one perspective, I can see one's interest in Legion as he does play a role Duke has been more willing to stockpile (athletic, smooth shooting guards/wings), and may have a legitimate friendship with some of Duke's current players.

But from the other perspective, Duke only rarely considers transfers at all, and this specific player has a parent who, fairly or not, sends out really sketchy/concerning vibes as a possible harmful influence on a basketball program. If, whether fair or the complete story, or not, Duke didn't go after Kevin Love due to some concern about his father's overbearing influence, they certainly wouldn't consider it regarding a good but somewhat lower tier player at a position they are arguably overstocked at as is. This is before one even begins to consider how stocked the 2009 class is with excellent guards/wings we are pursuing.

Duke should not and fortunately does not need to simply stockpile top players, regardless of situation and fit. We have a team right now with excellent chemistry and some more good recruits being lined up for the coming years, and I'm excited to run with the horses we've got right now!

(Though if Legion were a burly but fleet footed Power Forward, chemistry be damned! jk ;) )

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got_Duke
12-07-2007, 12:57 AM
it was wishful thinking and like i said would NEVER in a million years actually happen, but can one daydream a little bit?

and yes i neglected the personality aspect, but basketball wise he'd def. "fit the duke mold" athletically

mgtr
12-07-2007, 06:12 AM
Well, I would think that character is even more important than personality.

kydevil
12-07-2007, 09:13 AM
but basketball wise he'd def. "fit the duke mold" athletically

Well so would Mayo, but we didnt go after him?

Got_Duke
12-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Legion is not in the same league as Mayo

and I just haven't seen anyone on Mayo's level commit to Duke in quite a while

kydevil
12-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Legion is not in the same league as Mayo

and I just haven't seen anyone on Mayo's level commit to Duke in quite a while

I wasn't saying he was in the same league. I just meant he was athletic and has mayo like behavior.

Legion is more athletic than a good amount of players on Duke's current roster.