PDA

View Full Version : Duke MBB vs. Michigan Pre-Game and in-game Thread

4decadedukie
12-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Thus far, the Michigan Men's Basketball team has accrued five losses (Georgetown, Butler, Western Kentucky, BC and Harvard). We play the Wolverines next Saturday, with nationwide CBS broadcasting coverage (I hope Packer will not be in Cameron). With this said, what are the likely highlights, concerns and the final score.

I estimate a 20 to 25 point Duke victory.

hurleyfor3
12-03-2007, 02:22 PM
(I hope Packer will not be in Cameron).

I would bet Packer is covering Indiana/Kentucky that day instead.

Wander
12-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Michigan is terrible. Duke drops 10000 three pointers on them and wins by five million.

VaDukie
12-03-2007, 02:41 PM
If this team can't beat Harvard, then a 35+ point win is not out of the question. John Beilen is a great coach though; they'll be very tough when he gets his own players.

juise
12-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Michigan is terrible. Duke drops 10000 three pointers on them and wins by five million.

If Duke goes into stall ball at the 10 minute mark, it would be more in the 4 million range.

Da Bears.

Jumbo
12-03-2007, 03:28 PM
what are the likely highlights, concerns

I believe a llama will rush onto the court, steal the ball from Paulus and then pass it to a pelican for a dunk. Therefore, I am concerned about animal control.

hurleyfor3
12-03-2007, 03:30 PM
If Duke goes into stall ball at the 10 minute mark, it would be more in the 4 million range.

Michigan will manage to cut it to three million in the final minute, prompting another multi-page thread on stallball.

SilkyJ
12-03-2007, 03:32 PM

Da Bears.

da bulls?

I believe a llama will rush onto the court, steal the ball from Paulus and then pass it to a pelican for a dunk. Therefore, I am concerned about animal control.

clearly lots of animal concerns, although a single wolverine (let alone a pack) should be able to deal with a llama or two without much trouble.

I'm equally concerned about beilein sneaking pittsnoggle into the michigan lineup and using him to stretch the D

juise
12-03-2007, 03:38 PM
da bulls?

Yeah, we're talking minimum eight-peat here.

MChambers
12-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Michigan stomping on the center circle before the game, but I'd like it if they did.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-03-2007, 04:11 PM

I'm beginning to sense a bit of weauxfing here. Please let's not go there. Nothing good ever comes of it.

Classof06
12-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Thus far, the Michigan Men's Basketball team has accrued five losses (Georgetown, Butler, Western Kentucky, BC and Harvard). We play the Wolverines next Saturday, with nationwide CBS broadcasting coverage (I hope Packer will not be in Cameron). With this said, what are the likely highlights, concerns and the final score.

I estimate a 20 to 25 point Duke victory.

After Packer's defense of Gerald last year in Chapel Hill, I don't mind him so much

4decadedukie
12-04-2007, 09:55 AM
After Packer's defense of Gerald last year in Chapel Hill, I don't mind him so much

That WAS nice; however, 30+ years of intended slights are difficult to overcome.

whereinthehellami
12-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Starters
Grady FR 5-11
Harris FR 6-5
Coleman SR 6-6
Sims SO 6-8
Gibson SO 6-10

Reserves, over 10 MPG
Smith JR 6-3
Wright FR 6-6
Udoh SO 6-10

Notes

Michigan as a team shoots 42% FG, 67% Ft, and 35% from 3.
Duke as a team shoots 50% FG, 71% FT, and 43% from 3.
Harris (17 PPG) and Sims (12 PPG) are the 2 wolverines that average double figures in scoring.
Coleman leads MU in rebounding with 5.5 RPG.
In their loss to Harvard MU gave up 11 straight PTS to end the game.
Coach Beihlein suggested that his young team has really struggled with defense and that their heads are spinning.
In their 22 pt loss to Georgetown, they were outrebounded 42-24.

Key to the game
Early blowout. Can Michigan stay in the game before the first TV timeout?This young Michigan team is struggling with their defense and are reeling from their loss to Harvard. They loook to a freshman on the offensive end, all of this does not bode well for playing Duke at Cameron.

There doesn't appear to be much to gain for Duke in this matchup as a huge blowout is expected. It would have been better for Duke if they played this game at Michigan this year, at least exposing the freshman to a hostile crowd. I'll be looking at the rebounding for this game to see if Duke's hearts are in it. Michigan is the bigger team but a focused Duke team should be able to control the boards.

I think Duke will be flat in this game after the layoff but will cruise to a 20 point victory.

ugadevil
12-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Yeah, we're talking minimum eight-peat here.

Ok. Duke versus a hurricane who would win? Keep in mind...the name of the hurricane is Hurricane Duke.

blazindw
12-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Ok. Duke versus a hurricane who would win? Keep in mind...the name of the hurricane is Hurricane Duke.

Ditka?

SilkyJ
12-07-2007, 01:24 PM

Ditka?

mike ditka vs god.

trick question. mike ditka is god.

RelativeWays
12-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Who wins between the Duke men's basketball team versus the evil parallel universe doppleganger Duke men's basketball team? Keep in mind that the evil Duke players all have goatees ('cept the ones that do in our universe, they are clean shaven) they say MUUUAAAHAHAHAHAHA when they score and Coach K wears a hood a la Cobra Commander. Who wins then?

uncwdevil
12-07-2007, 01:45 PM
remember a few years ago when we went up 34-2 on them in Cameron?

what year was that? 2001?

dcarp23
12-07-2007, 02:03 PM

It was 01-02, but I thought the game was on the road.

juise
12-07-2007, 02:04 PM

December of 2000... right before my first finals week. That game was so much fun.

juise
12-07-2007, 02:06 PM
It was 01-02, but I thought the game was on the road.

Check it. (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20001209)

uncwdevil
12-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Check it. (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20001209)

wow, up 41 at the half against a major d-1 team

and some people wonder why duke fans might seem a little spoiled...

phaedrus
12-07-2007, 02:22 PM
14 players got time. Do we even have 14 players now?

dcarp23
12-07-2007, 02:25 PM
I was confusing it with the 01-02 game on the road, in which we had a 28-4 lead.

http://www.dukeupdate.com/Rob_C/20011208_Michigan.htm

Ever since Duke lost in '97, there have been some butt whippings in this series.

Ben63
12-07-2007, 02:44 PM
I think Duke will burst out of the gate and take a 30- 35 point lead. They will nurse that lead and win by a comfortable 20 points.

beltwayBD
12-07-2007, 07:40 PM
I must admit that this game will be a bit difficult to watch as I went to Michigan for undergrad (Duke for grad). Then again, it's always a blast to see the boys (Duke) in action, especially when they're as good as they are this year. So bummed we won't get to see Pocius play again until next year. But maybe McClure we'll get healthy and we'll see the full 10-man rotation.

I would also note to whoever posted the preview in this thread -- which was right on, I think -- that Michigan is abbreviated U-M, UM, or UofM (not MU).

MChambers
12-07-2007, 08:32 PM
As done by Pomeroy:

http://kenpom.com/sr.php?team=Michigan&y=2008

What stands out is that Michigan is very bad at some things. For example, they let opponents make 41.4% of their three pointers, ranking 307th nationally. They also give up a lot of threes, 36% of an opponent's attempts, ranking 230th. This squares nicely with Carlos's preview.

They don't give up free throws, ranking 2nd nationally, but maybe it is because they never get close enough to the ball to foul.

I think we should look for our outside shooters to have fun, especially at home.

Interestingly, our next two opponents, Albany and Pitt, both really shut down three pointers, holding opponents to 24% and 25%, respectively. Interesting contrast to Michigan. I'll be curious to see if it affects our game plan or our player rotations.

dukestheheat
12-07-2007, 10:51 PM
well, we are going to be rusty coming off the no-play week; rusty and tentative, slower to start out, out of synch a little and we may need defibrillators to get us going. after some red bull in the locker room, katie bar the door as the Dukies are back baby!

but, i am so very excited to get this going again i can't wait until the game. i spent some time tonight on www.dukeblueplanet.com checking out the videos and taylor king's video going over to maui was interesting to me. he panned his camera over to many of the guys on the flight and he gets to Greg and he says 'hey, Greg's asleep...' and he wasn't asleep so much as he was thinking about Abby i'll bet you 10 million dollars.

GO DUKE!

dth.

Jarhead
12-07-2007, 11:20 PM
well, we are going to be rusty coming off the no-play week; rusty and tentative, slower to start out, out of synch a little and we may need defibrillators to get us going. after some red bull in the locker room, katie bar the door as the Dukies are back baby!

How rusty are they, coming off a no-play week? I pick us.

duketaylor
12-08-2007, 12:00 AM
This team won't be rusty, they'll be hungry and rested. Should be an enjoyable viewing event, I'll be able to watch a half, likely the first. Game should, I hope, not be in jeopardy by then. For those who attended the lunch today with K, he absolutely loves this team and he's energized to the max. That's some really good news. GO DEVILS!!!!

Bob Green
12-08-2007, 02:52 AM
Freshman guard Manny Harris (leading scorer) meet Senior guard DeMarcus Nelson (lock down defender)! Welcome to Cameron Indoor Stadium.

ArkieDukie
12-08-2007, 11:21 AM
mike ditka vs god.

trick question. mike ditka is god.

Mike Ditka vs Coach K?

phaedrus
12-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Let's talk about what's most important in this matchup. Where is it on tv? In the (upper) Midwest?

Edit: Never mind, looks like it's on CBS. I thought it was on some random FSN regional network. That just rescued my day.

Karl Beem
12-08-2007, 01:42 PM
CBS indicates that it's HD, TitanTV says otherwise.

Bob Green
12-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Nolan Smith has looked very good over the last couple of minutes.

mpj96
12-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Nice end to the first half.

SMO
12-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Nice end to the first half.

Man, I love the way Scheyer and King are hustling everywhere to rebounds and on D. They are not the most athletic on the team but they're making up for it w/ pure hustle. Love the fact that this team can have a different catalyst every game. Nolan Smith happened to be it in the 1st half.

Sir Stealth
12-08-2007, 03:03 PM
I think that was probably one of if not the worst halves of basketball Duke has played all season (with the welcome exception of Nolan Smith). Michigan looked completely incapable - they had plenty of open shots and couldn't hit them. I liked how Duke seemed to kick up the intensity on D and on the offensive glass toward the end of the half. Hopefully the rust is off now and everyone can have a great second half.

ArkieDukie
12-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Wow. I'm a big fan of our freshmen and what they bring to the table. It's great that we have a different player (or group of players) step up every game. After a rough start, ball movement has been pretty good. This team is going to make some noise.

dukestheheat
12-08-2007, 03:29 PM
NOLAN SMITH!

here is his break out game! he's got the quickness to slow that guard for Michigan and I just love his intensity. Thank goodness he's on our team!!

dth.

lavell12
12-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Holy Crap, just looked at the stats and if you include this game and the last two Lance Thomas and Brian Zoubek have combined for 4 total points in 3 games. That is just sad, we are need them to do something. I say start King as the Center if this continues.

Acymetric
12-08-2007, 03:36 PM
"That ball stayed alive for one reason: Brian Zoubek"

I don't know of anyone else payed attention to that announcer, but did he consider that the ball was only loose for one reason: Brian Zoubek.

lavell12
12-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Does Zoubek know that he is 7'1 b/c he needs to just slam the ball instead of look to pass and his hands need work.

Well Thomas and Zoo both just scored 2 pts each so they doubled that production I was talking about.

Acymetric
12-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I don't know if he can slam it in. I think there are probably 6 players on Duke that can reach higher on the backboard than Zoubek at the peak of their jump. Seriously. His feet are never more than 2 inches off the ground I'm pretty sure.

I give him the benefit of the doubt from his summer injury, but to me he's in no way improved. And hurting your leg doesn't affect your ability to catch.

edit: I realized this sounded extremely critical. I don't dislike Zoubek, but he needs to put a lot of work into his game, as far as I'm concerned he should only be in the game at times like this, up 30. (of course he got a steal as I typed this. But still.)

ArkieDukie
12-08-2007, 03:58 PM
... we should be glad that Zoubek is getting some minutes to work on his game. I like his hustle. I keep having flashbacks to the "Coach K doesn't use the bench" threads from last season. We're nearing the opposite of that. Last season we'd be complaining if Zoubek wasn't getting minutes with a 30 point lead. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into the comments. :)

Karl Beem
12-08-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't know if he can slam it in. I think there are probably 6 players on Duke that can reach higher on the backboard than Zoubek at the peak of their jump. Seriously. His feet are never more than 2 inches off the ground I'm pretty sure.

I give him the benefit of the doubt from his summer injury, but to me he's in no way improved. And hurting your leg doesn't affect your ability to catch.

edit: I realized this sounded extremely critical. I don't dislike Zoubek, but he needs to put a lot of work into his game, as far as I'm concerned he should only be in the game at times like this, up 30. (of course he got a steal as I typed this. But still.)

He's lots better. How many travels has he had? Lets see how he looks with an injury free summer.

SMO
12-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Two things:

First, lay off Zoubs. I think his mobility is still hindered by his foot. He doesn't look as fluid as he could just yet.

Second, Nolan Smith is a likely 3-4 year player and Taylor King is a 4 year player. It's going to be a fun couple of years ahead!