PDA

View Full Version : ACC Awards

feldspar
02-27-2007, 09:47 AM
COY: Dave Leitao
POY: Al Thornton
ROY (they don't actually do this one, do they?): Jon Scheyer
All-ACC 1st team: Hansblahblah, Jared Dudley, J.R. Reynolds, Zabian Dowdell, Javaris Crittenton.

I just threw these out there for the sake of discussion...so.....discuss.

DukeDevilsBB
02-27-2007, 09:58 AM
COY - Dave Leitao
POY - Jared Dudley
ROY - Brandan Wright

All ACC 1st Team - Singletary, Dowdell, Dudley, Thornton, Hanstravel

feldspar - My only disagreement with your list 1st team list would be that you have Thornton as POY but not 1st team ACC.

*edited - meant to put Singletary not Reynolds

patentgeek
02-27-2007, 10:03 AM
COY - Leitao (Skinner a close second - he had to handle a mid-season crisis)

POY - Dudley (this is tought - could also have gone with Thornton)

ROY - Wright - he's had the biggest impact

1st Team - Thornton, Dudley, Singletary, The Traveling Man, Dowdell

VaDukie
02-27-2007, 10:09 AM
COY: Seth Greenberg
POY: Sean Singletary
1st team: Hansborough, Wright, Singletary, Dowdell, Dudley
ROY: Wright

feldspar
02-27-2007, 10:12 AM
feldspar - My only disagreement with your list 1st team list would be that you have Thornton as POY but not 1st team ACC.

I couldn't remember if the ACC does like other leagues and does not inlcude the POY in the All-Conference selection.

rthomas
02-27-2007, 10:16 AM
I think the ROY award should go to his Coka-cola commercial where he tells the story of his mother leaving him dimes on the counter each morning so he could have a drink after school with his buddies.

It brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

bird
02-27-2007, 10:23 AM
POY: Sean Singletary

Three reasons:

Carried the load at Virginia.

Freakishly good individual play at times.

Other candidates have worse defects. Particularly Dudley. Really think he showed mental weakness in Duke loss and other recent games.

Leito is more likely to get COY than Singletary to get POY, where it should be reversed, IMO.

DukeDevilsBB
02-27-2007, 10:28 AM
I couldn't remember if the ACC does like other leagues and does not inlcude the POY in the All-Conference selection.

Im 100% sure you can be both POY and 1st Team all ACC.....JJ was last year.

feldspar
02-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Im 100% sure you can be both POY and 1st Team all ACC.....JJ was last year.

Then I'd definitely replace Crittenton with Thornton. Also, I must have been reading theACC.com's stats wrong, because I could have sworn that Reynolds actually had better numbers than Singletary, but looking back I guess not.

So, I'm going with Thornton as POY, All-ACC: Singletary, Dudley, Dowdell, Thornton, Hansblahblah.

mullslaw6383
02-27-2007, 10:38 AM
COY: Leitao
POY: Thornton
ROY: Wright, Scheyer close 2nd

1st Team: Thornton, Singletary, Dudley, Hansbrough, Dowdell
2nd Team: McRoberts, Crittenton, Wright, Reynolds, Nelson

Carlos
02-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Bird - I'm not sure you can say that Singletary carried the load at Virginia when JR Reynolds has been averaging 21 ppg in ACC games.

Plus, he has Jason Cain you know...

Duvall
02-27-2007, 11:11 AM

What league does this?

POY: Singletary
COY: Winner of Thursday night's UVa-VPI game.
All-ACC: Hansbrough, Singletary, Thornton, Dudley, Dowdell

DukeDevilsBB
02-27-2007, 11:16 AM
It seems the first team all acc is pretty much a consensus pick.

Dowdell, Singletary, Thornton, Dudley, Hanstravel

blazindw
02-27-2007, 11:36 AM
I think in the ACC, the top vote getter for 1st team All-ACC is crowned the POY. I believe that's how it usually works

Duvall
02-27-2007, 11:38 AM
I think in the ACC, the top vote getter for 1st team All-ACC is crowned the POY. I believe that's how it usually works

No, I'm pretty sure it's a separate ballot. The two awards are announced separately.

bird
02-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Carlos says: "Bird - I'm not sure you can say that Singletary carried the load at Virginia when JR Reynolds has been averaging 21 ppg in ACC games."

You are correct, of course. Looking at the season stats, Singleltary and Reynolds have similar profiles:

Season:

Scoring

Singletary – 18.2 per game
Reynolds – 18.5 per game (Reynolds edged up in ACC play)

Minutes played:

Singletary – 32.9
Reynolds – 32.0

Rebounds

Singletary –4.4 per game
Reynolds – 4.2 per game

Assists

Singletary – 128 total
Reynolds – 103 total

Steals

Singletary – 36 total
Reynolds – 23 total

gw67
02-27-2007, 12:50 PM
I believe that the sportswriters pick three teams. My choices:

1st team: Dudley, Thornton, Dowdell, Singletary and Hansbrough
2nd team: Reynolds, McRoberts, Rice, Visser, Crittenton
3rd team: Wright, Gist, Nelson, Strawberry, Costner

POY – Singletary

COY – Leitao

gw67

Olympic Fan
02-27-2007, 12:57 PM
There is -- and always has been -- a seperate vote for POY and first-team All-ACC.

In fact, there have been a number of times when the leading vote-getter on the All-ACC team has not been the POY -- most recently in 2004, when McCants was the top vote getter with 277 votes, but lost POY to Hodge, who only had 276 All-ACC votes. Three players tied as unanimous picks last year (JJ, Shelden and Hanstravel) ... that's happened a lot too.

BTW -- My favorite vote in this regard was in 1966 -- when UNC's Bob Lewis was the top vote-getting, followed by Jack Marin and Bob Verga of Duke. The POY award went to Duke's Steve Vacendak, who was the ninth vote getter in the All-ACC voting (the player of the year barely made second team!).

As for this year's vote, I'm also inclined to give COY to the winner of Thursday night's game -- Leitao or Greenberg. That team is either going to win the regular season title or tie UNC for it.

I'm still torn on POY between Singletary, Dudley or Thornton (if Thornton gets it, he'll be just the second player in 54 years to win POY off a losing ACC team ... Len Bias did it in 1986 for a 6-8 Maryland team).

Those three, along with Dowdell, Reynolds and Hanstravel, are the six guys I'd look at for All-ACC. I think if Virginia beats VPI and at least ties for the title, I'd strongly consider both UVa guards on the team.

As for rookie of the year, why not Brandon Costner at NC State -- he's scoring (16.1 to 14.6) and rebounding more (7.9 to 6.4) than Wright at UNC -- by a fairly wide margin. And I don't remember him choking at the end of a game the way Wright did Sunday night. He had 15 pts and 11 rebounds in State's win over Carolina.

And is it just coincidence that UNC's best game of the year (at Arizona) came when Wright was unable to play?

CMS2478
02-27-2007, 12:58 PM
The last time I saw the stats Dudley led the ACC in scoring and rebounding, so it is hard not to give it to him..........even though I would love to see someone else get it like Thornton or Singletary bc they show some class and don't whine and brag 24/7.

Troublemaker
02-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Too many votes for Leitao, imo. What's his signature win? The 2-pt squeaker against Duke at home? Greenberg has two scalps of UNC and a victory over Duke in Cameron. He's a no-brainer choice if he completes the sweep of UVA/Leitao this week.

SavannahDevil
02-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Season:

Scoring

Singletary – 18.2 per game
Reynolds – 18.5 per game (Reynolds edged up in ACC play)

Minutes played:

Singletary – 32.9
Reynolds – 32.0

Rebounds

Singletary –4.4 per game
Reynolds – 4.2 per game

Assists

Singletary – 128 total
Reynolds – 103 total

Steals

Singletary – 36 total
Reynolds – 23 total

What a luxury, to have these two on the same team.

ElDuke
02-27-2007, 01:15 PM
POY will go to Dudley
ROY will go to Wright
COY will go to Greenberg

The Gordog
02-27-2007, 02:57 PM
No, I'm pretty sure it's a separate ballot. The two awards are announced separately.

You are correct. If you go to the ACC.com and look up their media guide, you can see in the historical archives that the POY is not always the top vote getter in all conference voting. For example, in 2004 McCants got 277 votes to 276 for Hodge, but Hodge was named POY.

oso diablo
03-04-2007, 01:31 PM
I've been analyzing stats of ACC players for more than 15 seasons, using a proprietary method that looks at multiple statistical categories, both offensive and defensive. This method compares the top players (generally speaking, i look at everyone with 20+ minutes per game) against each other in a given season.

Each player's stats generate an overall score that falls on a rough scale of 0-100 points. The best season i've recorded is Tim Duncan's senior year, when he logged a 96. A season's best player will typically record a score above 70, while first-teamers will usually all be above 50.

I will update after today's games, but through last night, my findings are (player's score in parens):

POY is easily Jared Dudley (74)

First team All-ACC would also include, in order:
Al Thorton (58)
Tyler Hansbrough (50)
Zabian Dowdell (49)
Sean Singletary (48)

Second team:
Javaris Crittenden (43)
Tyrese Rice (42)
Josh McRoberts (41)
Kyle Visser (40)
DJ Strawberry (40)

Third team:
Brandon Wright (37)
Brandon Costner (37)
Ben McCauley (36)
James Mays (35)
JR Reynolds (34)

Caveats: does not attempt to say who is a better talent or has the most potential, but rather who actually performed on the court; does not take team records into consideration; does not attempt to predict the actual voting; slightly overweights big men and underweights shooting guards; scores within a point or two are likely not significantly different

crimsonandblue
03-04-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm a little unsure as to how some of you have Crittenton on the second team but Scheyer as ROY...

dukelifer
03-04-2007, 03:15 PM
If you don't get your guys up to win against Wake for the outright title- that should do you in right there. I think Gary Williams might get it given how they have played down the stretch.