PDA

View Full Version : No more Duke Basketball

DavidBenAkiva
12-02-2007, 05:56 PM
After a pretty brutal stretch of games (weak schedule, my but SI!), I'm glad that the team gets some time off. It's good that the coaching staff understands that these kids need time to study for finals, too. Think about it, thouh: we have to wait a week to play Michigan, then anohter 10 days to play Albany to warm up for Pitt three days later. After that, we'll have to wait a week into January for any more games. Four games in the whole month!

I like that the kids get holiday breaks, but that leaves us with a void.

Here are some suggestions for things to do in December while we wait for the calender to turn:

Buy and wrap presents
Learn to drive in snowy conditions again
Donate the time normally spent watching Duke to working out
Build a house for a needy family
Teach Rosie Perez to speak English good
Devise a new championship system for college football
Determine commercial uses for a cloaking device
Teach children the importance of hating any color lighter than royal blue
Climb a mountain
Learn a new language

Anything else?

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

(find a new signature quote...)

throatybeard
12-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Duke Women's BB is playing as we speak.

Duvall
12-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Duke Women's BB is playing as we speak.

A statement that arguably was not true an hour ago.

throatybeard
12-02-2007, 06:32 PM
A statement that arguably was not true an hour ago.

Um, yes it was--it's the 2H.

rthomas
12-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Over on MSN the big debate is about who is the best cougar (I've never heard this term before and not sure what it means) between Pamela Anderson and Jennifer Anniston.

I would argue about who belongs in the BCS in the other thread but I am just too depressed. Arguing about the best cougar (??) is all I can handle right now.

throatybeard
12-02-2007, 06:36 PM
If I'm not mistaken, a cougar is an "older" woman who is aggressively on the relationship/sexuality market. It's like MILF, except with a projection of desperation on the woman in question.

That Aniston has been mentioned as such at well under 40 tells you something about our gender norms in this culture.

Duvall
12-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Um, yes it was--it's the 2H.

I was making a lousy joke about the team not showing up for the first half.

Indoor66
12-02-2007, 07:12 PM
After a pretty brutal stretch of games (weak schedule, my but SI!), I'm glad that the team gets some time off. It's good that the coaching staff understands that these kids need time to study for finals, too. Think about it, thouh: we have to wait a week to play Michigan, then anohter 10 days to play Albany to warm up for Pitt three days later. After that, we'll have to wait a week into January for any more games. Four games in the whole month!

I like that the kids get holiday breaks, but that leaves us with a void.

Here are some suggestions for things to do in December while we wait for the calender to turn:

Buy and wrap presents
Learn to drive in snowy conditions again
Donate the time normally spent watching Duke to working out
Build a house for a needy family
Teach Rosie Perez to speak English good
Devise a new championship system for college football
Determine commercial uses for a cloaking device
Teach children the importance of hating any color lighter than royal blue
Climb a mountain
Learn a new language

Anything else?

Time flies like an arrow

(find a new signature quote...)

What should I do on the third day?

Lavabe
12-02-2007, 09:53 PM
What should I do on the third day?

Watch Falcon football!:eek:

If you do this, you won't live to see a fourth day.

Lavabe

hc5duke
12-02-2007, 10:34 PM
If I'm not mistaken, a cougar is an "older" woman who is aggressively on the relationship/sexuality market. It's like MILF, except with a projection of desperation on the woman in question.

That Aniston has been mentioned as such at well under 40 tells you something about our gender norms in this culture.

Practical Guide to MILFs and Cougars (http://www.thebachelorguy.com/milfs-and-cougars-a-practical-guide.html) (probably SFW but YMMV)
MILFs: Demi Moore. Food Network star Sandra Lee. Sofia Vergara. Catherine Zeta Jones.
Cougars: Peg Bundy. Melanie Griffith. Lisa Rinna. Donatella Versace.

Aniston would be MILF except she's not an M. I wouldn't categorize Pam Anderson as MILF even if she was an M, and definitely not old enough to be a cougar at 40

DavidBenAkiva
12-03-2007, 12:37 AM
How could I forget:

Watch Duke Alumni play in the NBA!

Time flies like an arrow

RelativeWays
12-03-2007, 08:31 AM
I just purchased College Basketball 2K8 for the PS2 this weekend so I'll be able to watch all the Duke basketball I want....granted its little more than a digital facsimile. Now comes the daunting task of having to edit all the player names, at least for the ACC teams and top 25.

riverside6
12-03-2007, 09:02 AM
I just purchased College Basketball 2K8 for the PS2 this weekend so I'll be able to watch all the Duke basketball I want....granted its little more than a digital facsimile. Now comes the daunting task of having to edit all the player names, at least for the ACC teams and top 25.

Got it for the PS3! The great thing about the ps3 is they released something called 2K Share. It allows people to create rosters and allow others to download it. I've been playing with the real names on my rosters for the past week or two.

It's a great way to kill a week!

Clipsfan
12-03-2007, 12:23 PM

Yeah, I've had several discussions as to the appropriate age cutoff for cougars out here in LA and it seems to be skewing younger. I think that there is a website called cougarhunter.com or something which lists local bars where you can find cougars (I have never looked at it, but know several places due to just wandering into the bars and realizing that it's a Cougar Den).

mgtr
12-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Wow! Fourteen posts on this thread and nobody has yet complained about how little PT Marty gets. Is that a record?

OldPhiKap
12-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Peg Bundy ?!?

hurleyfor3
12-03-2007, 01:55 PM
In chat last year I hypothesized about an NCAA Tournament bracket of women over 40. Example: Redhead Region: (6) Marcia Cross vs. (11) Rene Russo. Sounds like I should get serious about throwing this together.

Indoor66
12-03-2007, 01:57 PM
In chat last year I hypothesized about an NCAA Tournament bracket of women over 40. Example: Redhead Bracket: (6) Marcia Cross vs. (11) Rene Russo. Sounds like I should get serious about throwing this together.

I want René Russo. :D

hurleyfor3
12-03-2007, 02:08 PM
I want René Russo. :D

She was a 1-seed for a LONG time, but time has taken its toll.

The 1-vs-16 matchups for the four regions would look something like:

Brunettes: (1) Courtney Cox vs. (16) Kirstie Alley
Blondes: (1) Nicole Kidman vs. Play-in
Redheads: (1) Diane Lane vs. (16) Raquel Welch (more an honorary bid as she's something like 67)
Minorities: (1) Janet Jackson vs. (16) Oprah Winfrey

Play-in in Blonde Regional: (16a) Hillary Clinton vs. (16b) Tipper Gore

I'm posting from work, so I really can't expand on this now.

Indoor66
12-03-2007, 02:27 PM

I have the same problem. I'll still take Russo.

CMS2478
12-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Wow! Fourteen posts on this thread and nobody has yet complained about how little PT Marty gets. Is that a record?

So, when's Marty going to get any PT??? ;)

snowdenscold
12-03-2007, 02:37 PM

The 1-vs-16 matchups for the four regions would look something like:

Brunettes: (1) Courtney Cox vs. (16) Kirstie Alley
Blondes: (1) Nicole Kidman vs. Play-in
Redheads: (1) Diane Lane vs. (16) Raquel Welch (more an honorary bid as she's something like 67)
Minorities: (1) Janet Jackson vs. (16) Oprah Winfrey

Play-in in Blonde Regional: (16a) Hillary Clinton vs. (16b) Tipper Gore

I'm posting from work, so I really can't expand on this now.

Don't forget Kristin Davis from SatC and Christa Miller from Scrubs. Diane Lane was a good call.

SilkyJ
12-03-2007, 03:25 PM

Well, and maybe this isn't the technical definition, but when I (and my friends) use the term cougar it definitely applies to women in their 30s. "Older" is just too subjective and ambiguous but i have found that most people tend to refer to women anywhere from 32-45 as a cougar.

and yes, it usually refers to woman "on the prowl", and I'm sure the pun was intended by whomever invented the term.