PDA

View Full Version : Duke WBB vs Penn State game thread

throatybeard
12-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Up 4-0 early.

buddy
12-02-2007, 06:06 PM
That went downhill fast. This team doesn't seem to be able to play defense or make a basket. Otherwise, all is OK.

jjasper0729
12-02-2007, 06:09 PM
the inability of anyone but chante black to make a layup in traffic is quite disturbing

throatybeard
12-02-2007, 06:27 PM
I was amazed to hear we hadn't had a 3-game losing streak in a decade. Not even K can claim that.

Wander
12-02-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't know why this team isn't modeled more after the men's team of 2006, considering that the two best players, in my mind, are an imposing shot-blocking center and a pure shooting guard. More of an effort needs to be made to run things through Waner and Black.

Duvall
12-02-2007, 06:40 PM
I don't know why this team isn't modeled more after the men's team of 2006, considering that the two best players, in my mind, are an imposing shot-blocking center and a pure shooting guard. More of an effort needs to be made to run things through Waner and Black.

I think that's the goal, but Black is coming off of a year lost to injury and Waner has already lost time to injury this year. It will take time.

Karl Beem
12-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Chante Black looking great!

Karl Beem
12-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Where's Abby!?!

Karl Beem
12-02-2007, 07:00 PM
There's Abby!

Karl Beem
12-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Yes!

Karl Beem
12-02-2007, 07:05 PM
NO!?!

Wander
12-02-2007, 07:15 PM
I think that's the goal, but Black is coming off of a year lost to injury and Waner has already lost time to injury this year. It will take time.

Yeah, I guess, but I don't know if there's any excuse for your freshman point guard to dribble around, drive, and put up an out of control shot two possesions in a row in the final two minutes when you have the JJ Redick of women's hoops waiting at shooting guard.

However, considering the injuries and the tough early schedule, I do think we'll be one of those teams that steadily improves as the year goes on as we find our identity.

cbfx3
12-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Man I suffered through that penn State game .. while the O looked better the D needs to step up. No real pressure. They were getting inside way too easy.

Jim3k
12-02-2007, 07:54 PM
The team had the opportunity to win tonight, and while they lost, it was a last second shot that beat them. They had one kid hit 15 for 15 from the line. Without that, Duke wins.

I do think the team D needs improvement and they need to start drawing fouls on the offense. PSU was only called for 13 v. our 26. That sent them to the line far too often. Still Black and Waner had good games and Jasmine wasn't chopped liver, though her shot selection at the end could have been better. Christmas's tying shot at the end was near-heroic. Too bad she couldn't hit the FT. In fact, if they had hit the 3 FTs they missed, they would have won.

I think I saw improvement over the last part of this game. Still have a long way to go. It's hard for fans to handle the change when the team lost the speed and defense provided by Harding last year. That was special and we can't expect it every year.

Pavy
12-02-2007, 08:23 PM
I know a coach needs time to adequately judge his/her ability, but I'm still not entirely convinced by the argument that the players need time to adapt to her new system. What exactly is the system? There are a lot of subs going in and out of the game, but I'm not gauging any consistent substitution pattern. Why exactly are all these players going in and out so fast? And it was rather bizarre how Abby Waner wasn't in the game with only two minutes left. Mitch was in instead, who committed a foul to send Penn State to the line.

The point guard situation is also really jumbled right now. At least Mitch is not playing in the point guard spot any more; that never seemed to suit her abilities. But Emily Waner and Jasmine Thomas having 3 to 4 minute turns at leading the team, then getting yanked, interspersed with Abby Waner bringing the ball up the floor, isn't going to lead to any offensive rhythm. And what did Coach McGuire always say? “Put the ball in the hands of your seniors" in late-game situations. I'm additionally concerned with the emphasis on strength the announcers talked about, since this isn't a plodding, bruiser team. I know Coach P's Michigan State teams were more half-court oriented, but she did promise a new way of thinking when coming to Duke. Why shouldn't there be an emphasis on endurance and speed?

Kudos, though, to a gutty effort. The team did show character, and there were great individual performances. What I don't want, however, is Duke relying on one-on-one ball in order to win games. Duke did get lucky in the final minute, with a practically impossible shot by Abby Waner to save a badly-going possession and a horrible pass by O'Rourke. But I am very impressed by Chante Black, as I am floored by her improvement. Not only she is making all the right shots, and managed to not foul out, but her HANDS! Two years ago, she would be prone to bobble and lose good passes to the point. There is not one hint of that this year.

heyman25
12-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Why does this team foul so much 26 fouls. Last 3 losses if I recall they give an advantage to the other team with their hacking. From other boards players like Brittany Mitch are open but won't shoot. Its still early but they need a lot of work.

buddy
12-02-2007, 08:55 PM
I give them a bit of a pass because of injuries; however, they got killed in that 1-2-2 zone. No one rotated, so Penn State continually got open looks. When they played man they played much better D. I understand a coach wanted to institute her system, but you have to adapt the system to the players (especially when you inherit them) and not the other way around. If they keep playing a 1-2-2 and don't grasp it ASAP, this will be a long season.

On the positive side--Black had a great game. She got no help tonight from Gay and Cheek. But Penn State could not handle Black. Jasmine made some big shots, even if she took ill advised ones down the stretch. Wanisha Smith's absence is a big deal, and Krystal Thomas should help down low when she gets back. It's a long season, but if they don't show more, it really will be a long season.

cbfx3
12-02-2007, 09:21 PM
I give them a bit of a pass because of injuries; however, they got killed in that 1-2-2 zone.

My dad and I couldnt figure what defense it was! Zone? Man? the only thing we could really tell was they were not putting nearly enough pressure on the ball or contesting shots. Defense doesnt look organized at all. And the O needs more penetration. If it wasnt for AW hitting some amazing shots it would have been even worse. Why they couldnt slow down PennSt on that last play is beyond me. I am not giving up on the Coach/team at all but I am afraid it is going to be an off year. I will still support them. Just got my package of tix this week! Have 4 each for Bucknell, NCSU, Tenn, UNC,Wake, and UM. Hope they right the ship so we can see some wins in Cameron! my daughters love to go see the women play.

Karl Beem
12-02-2007, 09:43 PM
I'll take it slow. Since you're using only two years of data to decide if the new baseball coach has any talent then you should use the same criteria for the other coaches. Such as Coach K.

I'll bet this guy doesn't get to 20 posts.:rolleyes:

Karl Beem
12-02-2007, 09:44 PM
I'll bet this guy doesn't get to 20 posts.:rolleyes:

That was quick.

Indoor66
12-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Forget the troll.

Duvall
12-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Forget the troll.

It's interesting to see that posting repetitive inane comments causes some posters to be labeled as trolls, but not others.

godukecom
12-02-2007, 10:45 PM
look, i know im no coach. as one can tell from my avatar, i am a HUGE duke women's bb fan. season ticket holder as a matter of fact, and proud of it. so, while i am not as good a coach as P and that is why she is coaching or not, i jsut do not understand

WHY ABBY WAS SUBBED OUT IN A 2 POINT GAME WITH 2 MINUTES LEFT

she is clearly our best player and needs to be utilized. P is confusing me with these subs.

that said, i am NOT ready to throw in the towel. i will be at the RU game thursday game proudly showing my colors. I can only hope that these losses help us later in the season. better to lose now then in 4 months anyway...

for now, GO DUKE

Bluedawg
12-02-2007, 11:30 PM
unfortunately the women dropped their third straight and Coach P continues her bad luck against Penn State.

However, what I saw was promising. Abby is getting here stoke back. After being out for 45 games rust sits in and she had to shake it off. Well, after scoring 23 points and shooting 6-of-9 from way beyond the 3-point line it is safe to say she is back. Chante Black is cementing her position as a premier player owning the paint for most of the night. Karina Christmas and Jasmine Thomas showed why they are part of the best freshmen class in WBB.

Krystal Thomas gets back from her knee injury In about 4 weeks, after the new year, and luckily there are only 3 game between now and then. unfortunately one of them is against #6 Rutgers.

However, the big adjustment is the new system...Coach G had the team setting up Abby, Lindsey and Ally while Coach P wants all the players to be "go to" players...players where any one of them cans core at any time. Plus she plays inside more then Coach g did. All of this will take some time, but it will come.

the main thing I saw tonight was a need for patience. I saw too many rushed shots and too many poor shots. Once they learn the system they will be able to work it in more and make better shot selections.

Abby and Wanisha are the heart and soul of this team. Abby is back. Once Wanisha returns the team that went 5-0 will be back...

The difference is in the files. You can't allow 30 free throws attempts and expect to win. Pennn State only missed 2. I'm not convinced all of the ones called against Duke were legit but it is something they will have to deal with.

Bluedawg
12-02-2007, 11:34 PM
look, i know im no coach. as one can tell from my avatar, i am a HUGE duke women's bb fan. season ticket holder as a matter of fact, and proud of it. so, while i am not as good a coach as P and that is why she is coaching or not, i jsut do not understand

WHY ABBY WAS SUBBED OUT IN A 2 POINT GAME WITH 2 MINUTES LEFT

she is clearly our best player and needs to be utilized. P is confusing me with these subs.

that said, i am NOT ready to throw in the towel. i will be at the RU game thursday game proudly showing my colors. I can only hope that these losses help us later in the season. better to lose now then in 4 months anyway...

for now, GO DUKE

I had the same question. I was standing at the time and yelled at the TV "WHERE IS ABBY?" I'm sure she could hear me :D because right after that Abby was at the table waiting to come in.:cool:

With her six three-pointers made, Abby Waner (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22762&SPID=1846&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1331619)moved into seventh place on Duke’s all-time three-pointers made list with 129.

I want Abby to take her rightful place in the rafters of Cameron next to Alena and Lindsey.

I'm sure the subs are to see what combinations play best together. They seemed to play more under control with Emily at the point.

zingit
12-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Abby is getting here stoke back. After being out for 45 games rust sits in and she had to shake it off.

Huh? I'm guessing that "45" is a typo?;)

Bluedawg
12-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Huh? I'm guessing that "45" is a typo?;)

since we've played 8..yes. :o