PDA

View Full Version : Big "boo" to the statistician

Jumbo
12-01-2007, 03:25 PM
One of my favorite plays was the offensive rebound that Scheyer tipped to Henderson for a layup. Except one problem -- Scheyer was never credited with an offensive rebound, which means he also didn't get an assist on what was clearly a play where he controlled the ball enough to put it where he wanted. Henderson had one offensive rebound, so I guess they gave him credit for that one.

CDu
12-01-2007, 04:38 PM
One of my favorite plays was the offensive rebound that Scheyer tipped to Henderson for a layup. Except one problem -- Scheyer was never credited with an offensive rebound, which means he also didn't get an assist on what was clearly a play where he controlled the ball enough to put it where he wanted. Henderson had one offensive rebound, so I guess they gave him credit for that one.

I personally didn't see it that way. I don't think Scheyer "controlled" it at all. It looked to me like he merely swatted the ball away from from the player in front of him (and in the general direction of all of his teammates rather than out of bounds) in an attempt to keep the possession alive (otherwise it's a sure rebound for Davidson), and the ball just happened to go to Henderson.

It's a pretty subjective call either way. It definitely wasn't obvious in any way that Scheyer had control of it. Thus, I didn't see any problem with the call. Could Scheyer have been credited with the rebound and assist? Sure. But it wasn't clearly one way or the other, so I think either call is fine. It just happened that the scorer saw it the same way I did.

It was still a good play by Scheyer to keep the ball alive. It's one of the little things that Scheyer does that makes him so valuable. I also suspect that Scheyer couldn't care less about that call, and Henderson wouldn't have cared if Scheyer had been credited with the rebound and assist at the expense of Henderson's rebound. It's just not very relevant.

wisteria
12-01-2007, 05:00 PM
I agree with CDu that it's a pretty subjective call either way. When I watched that play, I immediately said, "whew, we are lucky that the ball went right to Henderson." But my friend, who plays basketball herself, said "Nah...you can see who's where when you are tipping the ball". Scheyer does have excelllent court vision, so it's very likely that he tipped the ball to Henderson fully in control. But, oh well, my friend loves Scheyer so much that I don't really take her too seriously on anything related to Scheyer. haha.

Jumbo
12-01-2007, 05:56 PM
I personally didn't see it that way. I don't think Scheyer "controlled" it at all. It looked to me like he merely swatted the ball away from from the player in front of him (and in the general direction of all of his teammates rather than out of bounds) in an attempt to keep the possession alive (otherwise it's a sure rebound for Davidson), and the ball just happened to go to Henderson.

It's a pretty subjective call either way. It definitely wasn't obvious in any way that Scheyer had control of it. Thus, I didn't see any problem with the call. Could Scheyer have been credited with the rebound and assist? Sure. But it wasn't clearly one way or the other, so I think either call is fine. It just happened that the scorer saw it the same way I did.

It was still a good play by Scheyer to keep the ball alive. It's one of the little things that Scheyer does that makes him so valuable. I also suspect that Scheyer couldn't care less about that call, and Henderson wouldn't have cared if Scheyer had been credited with the rebound and assist at the expense of Henderson's rebound. It's just not very relevant.

Generally, when you tap the ball like that, you get credit for a rebound. Think about a missed tip-in attempt -- you don't have any more control, but you get credit for a board (plus a missed shot).

jjasper0729
12-01-2007, 06:15 PM
if this had happened in cameron, odds are we'd have given the rebound to scheyer (controlling the tip as a pass out. to me, it looked like he got up, seemed to palm the ball and not just tip it out but "pass" it out) and the assist on the made basket.

but as the previous posters have said. it's very subjective.

mgtr
12-01-2007, 06:57 PM
You can call me a Scheyer butt-boy but I believe he does a lot of things for which he gets little to no credit. That is undoubtedly why he gets so many minutes.

CDu
12-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Generally, when you tap the ball like that, you get credit for a rebound. Think about a missed tip-in attempt -- you don't have any more control, but you get credit for a board (plus a missed shot).

I think this could be further debated, but it's really not worth it. If you want, you can give a rebound and assist to Scheyer in your heart (and take a rebound away from Henderson), consider his stat line 15 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists, and Henderson's stat line 21 points and 7 rebounds. I'm pretty sure neither of them care about those stats.

I definitely don't think it's worth a "big boo" to the statistician. It's pretty much meaningless. We got the win, and both players had very good games. Honestly, the only way I see this situation having any meaning would be if someone was trying to directly compare Scheyer and Henderson, and that person felt that Scheyer was getting cheated on the stat sheet. Conversely, if your post was meant to be sarcastic, I apologize for the sarcasm not conveying well over the internet. Otherwise, in the grand scheme of things (even with regards to just this game), it's just completely irrelevant.

That said, it was a nice play by Scheyer to keep the play alive, and it's one of the little things he does that makes him very valuable (along with the big things he does). If he lets that go, Davidson certainly gets the rebound and we don't get those two points on Henderson's nice finish. He's a very heady player, and he never gets cheated on effort. It's definitely one of the many qualities I like about Scheyer.

Jumbo
12-01-2007, 09:02 PM
I think this could be further debated, but it's really not worth it. If you want, you can give a rebound and assist to Scheyer in your heart (and take a rebound away from Henderson), consider his stat line 15 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists, and Henderson's stat line 21 points and 7 rebounds. I'm pretty sure neither of them care about those stats.

I definitely don't think it's worth a "big boo" to the statistician. It's pretty much meaningless. We got the win, and both players had very good games. Honestly, the only way I see this situation having any meaning would be if someone was trying to directly compare Scheyer and Henderson, and that person felt that Scheyer was getting cheated on the stat sheet. Conversely, if your post was meant to be sarcastic, I apologize for the sarcasm not conveying well over the internet. Otherwise, in the grand scheme of things (even with regards to just this game), it's just completely irrelevant.

That said, it was a nice play by Scheyer to keep the play alive, and it's one of the little things he does that makes him very valuable (along with the big things he does). If he lets that go, Davidson certainly gets the rebound and we don't get those two points on Henderson's nice finish. He's a very heady player, and he never gets cheated on effort. It's definitely one of the many qualities I like about Scheyer.

Dude, you're taking me way too seriously. I'm not exactly losing sleep over a statistical error, and I'm certainly not trying to compare Scheyer to Henderson. It was just one of my favorite plays of the game, and wish had been recorded statistically to reflect it. That's all -- nothing more, nothing less.

captmojo
12-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Does Paulus get an assist for his sideline tap back in to Curry for an open three?

There was a lot of sideline diving today.

Olympic Fan
12-01-2007, 11:49 PM

I used to be a statistician and what you describe is NOT a rebound. A tap is only a rebound (and a shot) if the ball is tapped in -- then it is a rebound and a made shot. A tap that doesn't go in is nothing -- not a rebound and not a missed shot -- it's just a continuation of the rebound.

A player must "control" the loose ball (which I admit is a subjective criteria) to be credited with a rebound (and the follow shot).