PDA

View Full Version : Greg Anthony, Tark the Shark

EarlJam
11-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Saw a special on the UNLV Runnin' Rebels of the early 90s last night. A couple of notes about that '91 Duke game:

-Greg Anthony said recently he still hasn't gotten over that loss. Thinks about it often.

-Tark said he can't watch the ending of that game to this day. He can watch it up until the point their PG fouls out, but that's it. Can't watch Hurley's dagger and the ending.

What do ya'll think of Tark? Despite a somewhat shaky and shady reputation, I kind of like the guy.

-EarlJam

dcarp23
11-30-2007, 09:35 AM
What do ya'll think of Tark? Despite a somewhat shaky and shady reputation, I kind of like the guy.

-EarlJam

And he apparently, and interestingly, really likes Duke. He was out in Maui, and the other night Shulman and Vitale took a breather from talking about Ronde Barber and Dick's son-in-law to mention how complimentary Tarkanian was about Paulus.

EarlJam
11-30-2007, 09:41 AM
And he apparently, and interestingly, really likes Duke. He was out in Maui, and the other night Shulman and Vitale took a breather from talking about Ronde Barber and Dick's son-in-law to mention how complimentary Tarkanian was about Paulus.

Interesting. I've picked up on that in a couple of interviews with Tark as well. In last night's show, he talked about how he feared a Duke/UNLV match up all year in 1991. He knew with an additional year of experience, that Duke matched up well with UNLV and then, of course, there was the revenge factor.

He was very complimentary of Hurley, Laettner and that team and game as well. Quite gracious in defeat.

-EarlJam

dukeENG2003
11-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Tark was a fine coach. I still don't quite understand his infatuation with towels, but he was a good coach and seems like a pretty decent guy.

OK, that was just an attempt to make my post on topic, EarlJam, I LOVE your new avatar. . .

Indoor66
11-30-2007, 11:54 AM
EarlJam, I LOVE your new avatar. . .

Isn't the color of the "DUKE" just a little off? Shouldn't it be lighter/darker? Maybe a poll? :D

trinity92
11-30-2007, 12:04 PM
His Amoeba defense, when executed properly, was a thing of beauty, and quite scary as run by the extremely high caliber of player UNLV fielded those years.

dukestheheat
11-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Earl-

honestly, a dude sucking on a towel like that is just WEIRD. i always thought it was. go up and shake his hand and he's got to take the towel outta his mouth to give you his shaking hand. !

dth.

EarlJam
11-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Earl-

honestly, a dude sucking on a towel like that is just WEIRD. i always thought it was. go up and shake his hand and he's got to take the towel outta his mouth to give you his shaking hand. !

dth.

Why must he take the towel out of his mouth to shake my hand? To kiss me, yes, but not to shake my hand.

Still, it's a good point, noted. The towel most certainly has man slobber all over it and no doubt Tark's hands experience multiple touch-points with the towel on a daily basis, significantly increasing the risk for cross-contamination and posing a serious health risk to those around him.

While indeed troublesome, this same scenario posed with Anna Kournikova or Josh McRobert's mother would not bother me nearly as much.

-EarlJam

captmojo
11-30-2007, 12:50 PM
I was led to understand that those towels were moistened and frozen so man-slobber quotient was probably elevated.

LOOK OUT! HE'S GONNA DRIP!:eek:

dukestheheat
11-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Earl,

the guy is sucking on the towel and holding it in his mouth with both hands, the right and the left. so he can't shake your hand unless he takes the towel out of his mouth, wipes his right hand on his pants leg or coat or whatever, and then reaches up to shake your hand.

i didn't see his towel-sucking as what would happen if a dog had the towel b/c a dog can't really hold it up there with his paws; rather, this is just one of those strange dudes out there who feels compelled to suck a towel when he's nervous.

but dude i'm with you on anna kournikova and if you want to get in the car and drive over to see her just give me a shout and i'm coming with you, no doubt about it. teach HER how to play some tennis. word up.

dth.

Lavabe
11-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Earl-

dth.

Why did Tark suck a towel?
Why does Gary sweat?
Why does Roy cry?

Cheers,
Lavabe

KBCrazie
11-30-2007, 01:48 PM
I still haven't gotten over witnessing the '90 drubbing, either. The '91 retribution dulled dull the pain, for sure.

We went to the UNLV hotel to trade our 4 tickets we bought from some Arkansas students for 2 better seats. Ran into Tark in the lobby wearing our Duke sweatshirts and shook his hand. Seemed like a nice enough guy.

bird
11-30-2007, 02:05 PM
What's true and what's rumor is unclear to me in retrospect. At time, UNLV was believed to represent the forces of darkness in college ball.

In 1991 they supposedly had a weak schedule because good nonconference teams simply refused to play UNLV - and not because they were a good team. When faced with first serious challenge of year they folded under game pressure. So I would argue that UNLV's reputation cost it a national championship.

wilson
11-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Isn't the color of the "DUKE" just a little off? Shouldn't it be lighter/darker? Maybe a poll? :D

Watch it. With all the abomination floating around these days, you'll have it trimmed in black before long.

weezie
11-30-2007, 03:50 PM
The Shark did take a load of criticism for being too gangster a coach, that's true. But, he knows his ball and is still widely respected by other coaches.
I think the towel was to stuff the curses back down his throat, too.

JStuart
11-30-2007, 04:08 PM
If I were Tark, I wouldn't want to watch the last few minutes of the game either, as no one on the bench had a plan as to what to do for the last possession, and no contingency plans had been made for when their best ball-handler was on the bench with 5 fouls.