PDA

View Full Version : Which sucks the most?

hurleyfor3
03-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Everyone's so happy today, I thought it would be useful to rank recent events on the continuum of sucktitude.

NW Indiana Dukie
03-09-2007, 04:36 PM
I hope DUKE never plays there again!!:eek:

The Gordog
03-09-2007, 04:39 PM
What is 3-18?

hurleyfor3
03-09-2007, 04:43 PM
What is 3-18?

How soon we 4-get.

Chard
03-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Ha, ha. Nice hint.

I hate UConn so it received my vote.

adam
03-09-2007, 04:48 PM
I still have nightmares about Scotty Thurman's shot in '94.

The Gordog
03-09-2007, 04:52 PM
How soon we 4-get.

Thanks.

Perv. gets my vote. No loss hurts as much as a champioship game loss, IMHO. But I do feel so bad for JJ. When I think of him coming out of the game for the last time I get that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Well, I can't bear to think about it much so I have never dwelt on the stats of that game.

Lord Ash
03-09-2007, 04:54 PM
The Arkansas game. I was standing DIRECTLY under our 3 banners watching that game, and it was EASILY the worst moment of my four years at Duke.

hurleyfor3
03-09-2007, 04:59 PM
3 banners? In 1994?

Noteware
03-09-2007, 06:51 PM
It's been over 20 years, and Pervis Ellison's name still gives me chills. That year was rightfully ours, and it still hurts...

npdevil27
03-09-2007, 07:04 PM
It wasn't just that Boozer was fouled, it was that JWill missed the preceeding free throw... ugh, still hurts to this day.

oregon98er
03-09-2007, 07:14 PM
My 4 years of school. I grew up in NC fending off all my UNC friends and went to Duke to becomet the only class to matriculate at Duke since 1982 in which we didn't make the Final Four in one of the years. A streak that's ongoing...

'86, '88, '89, '90, '91, '92, '94, '99, '01, '04. A glaring set...at least to me...of "missing years"...

But if we don't make it next year, the class of '98 is not alone anymore...

duke24/7
03-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Brings the most pain for me. Not only was he fouled, costing us the chance to possibly repeat, but on a personal level, I stayed up with the flu to watch the entire game.

MattyB.
03-09-2007, 08:42 PM
My 4 years of school. I grew up in NC fending off all my UNC friends and went to Duke to becomet the only class to matriculate at Duke since 1982 in which we didn't make the Final Four in one of the years. A streak that's ongoing...

'86, '88, '89, '90, '91, '92, '94, '99, '01, '04. A glaring set...at least to me...of "missing years"...

But if we don't make it next year, the class of '98 is not alone anymore...
I didn't realize it... but Markie is "on the clock" for next year... presuming we don't pull our own version of George Mason this season.

MattyB.
03-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Brings the most pain for me. Not only was he fouled, costing us the chance to possibly repeat, but on a personal level, I stayed up with the flu to watch the entire game.
i was packing for my near-annual trip to VEGAS with my Nicholas School classmates while watching the Boozer/Indiana game. UGH UGH UGH.

However, I voted for St. Pete. I got on a plane in Mexico on March 22, 1998 bound for RDU (heading back to campus) just before halftime, up quite a bit, and feeling pretty comfortable about going to the FF in my final year of grad school at Duke. I landed with my headphones on, to catch the postgame presser on the radio, and hear Coach K saying, "I just feel really bad for our seniors." Now THAT was one painful memory I won't soon forget.

Possibly the worst part was my plane was 3 hours late taking off, so i was supposed to be back in time for most of the game, if not the entire game. :-( I blame myself for that loss.

Bob Green
03-09-2007, 08:50 PM
It is an easy choice for me. In 1986, as a 26 year old man, I sat on the floor in my San Diego apartment, with tears in my eyes, as time expired. I was soooooooooooo disappointed! Just thinking about it makes me hurt.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

DukeDevilDeb
03-09-2007, 08:54 PM
You couldn't have... we only had two banners then! A bit of wishful thinking...

willywoody
03-09-2007, 09:02 PM
i voted for 86 but that uconn loss was pretty bad.

_Gary
03-09-2007, 09:04 PM
This was a tough poll, because 4 of the choices really resonated with me:

1) The 1986 loss was my first championship loss as a Duke fan.
2) The 1994 loss really hurt because I loved Grant and thought we were the better team.
3) The Boozer play was a killer because he definitely was fouled, big time, and we should have won that game and gone on to repeat.

4) MY VOTE WENT TO "JIM CALHOUN" for a simple reason: The guy denied us, not one but, two freakin' championships!!! I can't think of anything that can top that since I've been following Duke basketball.

I still get sick when I think that the '99 team, perhaps the most dominant Duke team in history, didn't win. I was so unbelievably confident that they'd cut down the nets that year that it's not even funny. That cured me from ever thinking something in sports is a "sure thing." Even though UConn was the second best team in the country that year, I had no doubt they couldn't hang with us and championship #3 was in the bag. God that hurt.

Gary

Son of Jarhead
03-09-2007, 09:12 PM
1986 gets my vote. Man, that was such a downer! I was home in Durham on spring break sitting on my Mom's coach with my girlfriend watching the game and when it ended I went outside and screamed at the top of my lungs for several minutes. I was so bummed! Trying to explain the feeling to my girlfriend was impossible.

Actually, all those things sucked! Its a good thing I don't get so emotionally invested in the games anymore... oh, wait... yes I do.

Buckeye Devil
03-09-2007, 09:47 PM
I hated to lose to Arkansas in '94 because I don't like Nolan Richardson a pinch of owl dung, but the 1999 loss still haunts me the most. I still don't see how Duke lost that game but it happened and I will never forget the shock I was in afterwards. The only thing that saved me from perpetual moping was the birth of my only child 3 days later. 2004 wasn't any easier to swallow when UConn won it again. It is great to see them go down hard this year.

rsvman
03-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Calhoun.

But he's getting his.

jimsumner
03-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Will I confirm my old-fogey status if I ask why Bob Verga and strep throat isn't on the list? Or even Kenny Dennard's midnight-ramble sprained ankle.

VTBaller03
03-09-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm only 27, so I vaugley remember the Pervis game, but I had to vote for the UConvicts. '99 killed me for almost a week, I wouldn't leave my dorm. I live in New England mind you, so I had to deal with a lot of UConn "fans" as well. Although, the Boozer foul was horrible too. When JWill missed the FT, I think I swallowed my heart.

Bob Green
03-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Will I confirm my old-fogey status if I ask why Bob Verga and strep throat isn't on the list? Or even Kenny Dennard's midnight-ramble sprained ankle.

I was 6 & half when a sick Bob Verga and Duke lost to Kentucky in the 1966 National semi-finals. I have vague memories of watching the game, with my Dad on our old black & white TV, but 1968 is the first season I can clearly remember specific games (i.e. triple overtime). Bob Verga was my first favorite Blue Devil, followed by Mike Lewis, Randy Denton, Dick DeVincio, Gary Melchioni, Rick Katherman, Tate Armstrong, & the list goes on and on...right up to my current favorite DeMarcus Nelson.

By the time of the Kenny Dennard sprained ankle, I was already serving in the Navy (and I still am).

So Jim, no, I don't consider you to be an old fogey. You are a wise man who writes great articles.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Duke15304
03-09-2007, 10:57 PM
b/c we were just as good as uconn, oakfur got those 2 quick fouls and they didnt call another one on him the rest of the game, he could have fouled like GH did and they wouldnt have called it, and then shelden got 2, K puts him back in and then gets his 3rd, reguarldess of that, we were up 9 and we blew it, that one really hurt for me

hurleyfor3
03-09-2007, 10:59 PM

I kept it to the K era because otherwise I'd also have to throw in Goose Givens, and Black Friday, and 8 points in 17 seconds and so on.

jipops
03-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Voted for that one cause I was there in the nose bleeds at Reunion Arena in Dallas. I'll never forget watching David Henderson slump his shoulders and get up off the bench after the game had ended-- such a look of heartbreak. This was a core of guys that had been together for four years and developed (key word here DEVELOPED) into a dominant force in college basketball.

Looking back that was a happy time because it was the beginning of Duke basketball that we know today. But at the time it felt like true heartbreak. A great bunch of guys that crew.

devildownunder
03-09-2007, 11:23 PM
It wasn't just that Boozer was fouled, it was that JWill missed the preceeding free throw... ugh, still hurts to this day.

and boozer should've made that layup anyway, foul or not. Of course, it also shouldn't have mattered, since we were playing what should have been a completely overmatched indiana team and had a 17-pt. lead.

*sigh*

devildownunder
03-09-2007, 11:26 PM
because of all these it's the one that never should have happened.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-09-2007, 11:27 PM
That's the one that hurt the most, because of the players. 99's 3 amigos and their leaving doesn't get me feeling bad for the players not winning it all, while 86 still hurts.

A few weeks ago I saw a special on one of WRAL's digital channels on the 86 team. Interestingly enough, they all said that 20 years from then, they would still be in touch and be close. Well, I have the proof they are. At last April's Duke reunions, their class of 86 and my class of 76 were both there, and during the Friday night class parties I crashed the 86 event and had my picture taken with each of the players. Well, only five of the six, as I missed Bill Jackman. I thought he wasn't there (he transferred after his freshman year back to his home state of Minnesota) but one of the guys (Bilas?) told me he had been there but had already left. So I got pictures with Bilas, Dawkins, Alarie, Henderson and Weldon Williams! And shortly after the pictures were taken, all five guys and their wives piled into a big long white limo and went elsewhere, all together as a group, just like they said they would. A truly fine evening!

Losing twice to UCon (one "n" intentional) hurts, but not as bad a 86.

Duke15304
03-09-2007, 11:31 PM
but i wasnt going to be born for another 2 yrs so its difficult for that one to really hurt, so i guess the first that really hurt for me was the 00' game against florida, but in the long run, it didnt mean much, but if i had watch 86, it prolly would be the one that hurt the most

KandG
03-09-2007, 11:49 PM
1986. Had a good seat in Reunion Arena in Dallas, and remember visibly screaming "Oh No!!!!" when Johnny's shot sailed over the rim when we were down 1 at 66-65. I think I was seriously depressed for three weeks after that loss, and I pretty much cut off (what was) a good friendship with a Carolina grad who tried to needle me about the loss afterward. Just crazy to get that sad over a basketball game.

I must be one of the only ones that wasn't that bugged by 2002 and the loss to Indiana. Yes it sucked, but the 2002 team had bad karma all year, and they would have gotten whomped in the Final Four by Maryland. Shane's graduation really left a void, because there was something missing...from the time we got upset by a crappy FSU team early in the year, it just felt like it was going to be that kind of year. Reminded me of 1993 (and Barry Jacobs' book outlined in detail how shaky the chemistry of that team was)

hurleyfor3
03-10-2007, 12:04 AM
and boozer should've made that layup anyway, foul or not. Of course, it also shouldn't have mattered, since we were playing what should have been a completely overmatched indiana team and had a 17-pt. lead.

*sigh*

Forget layups; Boozer shoulda DUNKED it.

devildownunder
03-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Forget layups; Boozer shoulda DUNKED it.

:mad: :mad:

Cameron
03-10-2007, 03:12 AM
Jason's missed free-throw gets my vote. We were so loaded that year, I thought we had it all wrapped up. I mean, Jason was in the midst of one of the greatest seasons in Duke history, just dominating all comers, and Mike, Carlos, and Chris were having incredible years in their own rights. We should have buried Indiana that year. I'll never forget yelling to my Dad (we were at the State Basketball Tournament in Columbus, Ohio, at the time), "We're going to have to miss the late games tomorrow night cause Duke will be playing in the Elite Eight, we're up 19." Oh how those words haunt me.

I was watching on a small television screen in the Schottenstien Center corridor when Jason hit the three, and I rubbed it in to a sea of about 30 or 40 Indiana fans sporting red. They had been heckling me the entire second half during the Hoosier run, and I was just hammering them with choking gestures and mocking Davis' crying on the bench. Well, we all know the ending...

Last season was horrible on a whole another level, though. While it was hard watching guys like Trajan, Wojo, and Collins not be able to get it done and bring home a championship for the school they loved so much, I took it as personally as you can when JJ fell short. I wanted to win him that banner more than his family did, or at least as much. That may sound ridiculous, but I have never felt as low in my life as I did when CBS showed JJ watching the final seconds tick off his career in a Duke uniform, all battered and beaten to the brim, tears rolling down his eyes. JJ was meant to play in Indianapolis. I will never get over that. He should have been there. When the final buzzer sounded on number 4's career, I walked off into a quiet place in the Schottenstien Center (I was attending the State Tournament there again), leaned up against a balcony railing, and just burst into tears. The most emotional I have ever been over a game. It was only Thursday and I was ready to pack up and sell the rest of my state tickets. My year, let alone weekend, was shot:(

Buckeye Devil
03-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Jason's missed free-throw gets my vote. We were so loaded that year, I thought we had it all wrapped up. I mean, Jason was in the midst of one of the greatest seasons in Duke history, just dominating all comers, and Mike, Carlos, and Chris were having incredible years in their own rights. We should have buried Indiana that year. I'll never forget yelling to my Dad (we were at the State Basketball Tournament in Columbus, Ohio, at the time), "We're going to have to miss the late games tomorrow night cause Duke will be playing in the Elite Eight, we're up 19." Oh how those words haunt me.

I was watching on a small television screen in the Schottenstien Center corridor when Jason hit the three, and I rubbed it in to a sea of about 30 or 40 Indiana fans sporting red. They had been heckling me the entire second half during the Hoosier run, and I was just hammering them with choking gestures and mocking Davis' crying on the bench. Well, we all know the ending...

Last season was horrible on a whole another level, though. While it was hard watching guys like Trajan, Wojo, and Collins not be able to get it done and bring home a championship for the school they loved so much, I took it as personally as you can when JJ fell short. I wanted to win him that banner more than his family did, or at least as much. That may sound ridiculous, but I have never felt as low in my life as I did when CBS showed JJ watching the final seconds tick off his career in a Duke uniform, all battered and beaten to the brim, tears rolling down his eyes. JJ was meant to play in Indianapolis. I will never get over that. He should have been there. When the final buzzer sounded on number 4's career, I walked off into a quiet place in the Schottenstien Center (I was attending the State Tournament there again), leaned up against a balcony railing, and just burst into tears. The most emotional I have ever been over a game. It was only Thursday and I was ready to pack up and sell the rest of my state tickets. My year, let alone weekend, was shot:(

Cameron,

Was your h.s. alma mater in the state tournament in Columbus? It just seems that whenever you are at the Schott, Duke loses. Stay away.

JasonEvans
03-10-2007, 09:15 AM
I can't believe folks are voting for Calhoun. Yeah, 1999 sucked but nothing... nothing... hurts like 1986. That 1986 team would be considered one of the greats in NCAA history if not for a totally aberrant game in the championship. What really bites is that we played defense TOO WELL on the final play (boxing Ellison underneath the basket where he can only get a rebound if the ball is an airball) and then being in Jeff Hall's face so much that his miss is a legendarily bad miss - an airball. I mean COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sigh... still... so... painful :eek:

-Jason ""OTOH, 1999 would be a legendary team too if we had won that game -- grrrr" Evans

_Gary
03-10-2007, 09:31 AM
I can't believe folks are voting for Calhoun. Yeah, 1999 sucked but nothing... nothing... hurts like 1986.

Had Calhoun not kept us from 2 titles, I would have voted for the '86 game. It was horrible. But that dang UConn team has directly kept us from two titles (because we all know the Final Four game in '04 was the final, and whoever won that game was going to win the title - so Jimmy boy is directly responsible for two missing banners in Cameron).

Gary

KyDevilinIL
03-10-2007, 09:53 AM

I was in Rupp that night, shouting against the thousands of IU/UK fans. The second half was the single worst experience I've had as a Duke fan -- worsened by the brief suggestion that we might actually pull that game out. So that gets my vote.

jimsumner
03-10-2007, 09:57 AM
FWIW, Bill Jackman was from Nebraska. Todd Anderson was from Minnesota. Also Kris Humphries.

On the other hand, I believe Duke may have played some games in the state. :)

If you want to relieve the agony and the ecstasy of the 1986 team, let me direct you to the below url, which should suggest where my vote would go.

http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag/issues/010206/eightysixers1.html

Cameron
03-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Buckeye Devil:

No, I just attend the state tournament every year, and have since I was a little kid. I agree, though, perhaps I should just stay away from the arena when Duke is on. It worked in 2001, when we beat UCLA in the Sweet 16, as I stayed away from the night games to watch back at the hotel in Worthington. I might have to keep that into consideration if we are in that position this year.

phaedrus
03-10-2007, 05:56 PM
A few weeks ago I saw a special on one of WRAL's digital channels on the 86 team. Interestingly enough, they all said that 20 years from then, they would still be in touch and be close. Well, I have the proof they are. At last April's Duke reunions, their class of 86 and my class of 76 were both there, and during the Friday night class parties I crashed the 86 event and had my picture taken with each of the players. Well, only five of the six, as I missed Bill Jackman. I thought he wasn't there (he transferred after his freshman year back to his home state of Minnesota) but one of the guys (Bilas?) told me he had been there but had already left. So I got pictures with Bilas, Dawkins, Alarie, Henderson and Weldon Williams! And shortly after the pictures were taken, all five guys and their wives piled into a big long white limo and went elsewhere, all together as a group, just like they said they would. A truly fine evening!

maybe we'll see them again in '16 for their 30th.

class of '06

dukemsu
03-10-2007, 07:04 PM
I'll never get over 04.

It would have been such a huge championship-would've been #2 for Duhon, would've avenged (partially) 99. But for Calhoun to get over on Duke a second time, especially given the horrendously bad officiating (worst I've ever seen, and I'm not just saying that to embellish my point, the game was officiated at a 6th grade level allowing Okafur to do whatever he wanted after he got those first two fouls), us blowing the lead, JJ being hammered by Anderson on the last drive and the ref just staring, Deng being the best player on the floor in his last game at Duke, ahh.....my god....it's all coming back to me.

Enjoy your time at the back of the line, Calhoun.

dukemsu

highlandangel
03-10-2007, 08:07 PM
I had to go with Boozer - even though I was at Duke as a freshman in 1999 - I was in the band, sitting DIRECTLY at the basket when Jason missed the free thrown and Boozer got hammered. It was misery sitting in Rupp Arena listening to those cheers as the buzzer sounded.

captmojo
03-10-2007, 08:35 PM
only because Goose Givens isn't on the list. I became a Duke fan as a child in the 60's due to watching Bob Verga dribble the ball upcourt with his hair bouncing up and down on his head, looking to pass one way and turning to take a line drive shot that would hit back rim and fall straight down through the nets.Therefore any loss to Kentucky sucks the big one.