PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Boozer - MVP?

VaDukie
11-29-2007, 01:38 PM
It's not at all a far fetched notion at this point.

He's averaging 25.4 ppg (4th in the league), 11.2 rpg (9th), and shooting 57.7% from the field (7th). At 11-5 the Jazz have the 5th best record in the league, although some would argue that Deron is more important to the team (and it's not a bad one). His PER rating is 3rd, behind only Lebron and Ginobili.

Ultimately I don't think he'd win and would be surprised if he finished in the top 3. The 'Garnett has rejuvenated his career' storyline is all over the media and he's probably the frontrunner. Duncan always get praise despite very mediocre numbers for him (18 ppg, 9 rpg. Lebron and Kobe are sexy picks for being the two most talented players in the league. Dwight Howard and Chris Paul have taken their games to the superstar stratosphere. And of course Nash will always make his way into the conversation.

So anyone think he's got a shot? It would once and for all but an end to the Duke underachieving in the NBA argument - although surely most would just blame K for not 'developing' him and 'holding him back'. BTW, that school down the road only has 1 other than his Airness - Bob McAdoo in 1975.

speedevil
11-30-2007, 11:14 PM
MVP goes to LeBron James with KG coming in 2nd

mr. synellinden
12-06-2007, 01:19 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fstatistics

Look who is at #3 - just behind LeBron and Ginobli - Carlos Boozer. No question Boozer is an MVP candidate. I think he needs a statement win on national TV against San Antonio or Boston or Orlando to build some momentum for an MVP campaign. Right now, I'd have to think that only Dwight Howard, LeBron and maybe Garnett should be ranked ahead of him.

Other interesting notes from these rankings:

The only players in the top 10 who played in college played in the ACC.

Strong argument for skipping college - Kobe, Amare, KG, LeBron, Howard are all in the top 10.

San Antonio has three players in the top 10 (Duncan and Parker along with Ginobli). This raises an interesting question for me. With all the talk about Boston's big 3 - would you trade Duncan, Parker and Ginobli for Garnett, Pierce and Allen?

Maggette at 63 and Dunleavy at 69 are the next top ranked Dukies.

Ben63
12-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Boozer definatly should be up there, but in the end I dont think he will be. If he played in LA or Chicage or a big market. But he play for the Jazz, a solid team but in a poor market in a low population state. The NBA is all me, me, me basketball and because of that Kobe or LeBron will win it. Boozer won't be on video game or magazine covers because his exposure is so small. He doesn't even have hometown credentials because he's from Alaska. Though he meets the requirments for being a Most Valuable Player, the doesn't fit the requirments for being an NBA MVP because those requirments are being an outstanding player and having mass appeal and marketability and as long as Boozer is with the Jazz he won't have that.

juise
12-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Boozer definatly should be up there, but in the end I dont think he will be. If he played in LA or Chicage or a big market. But he play for the Jazz, a solid team but in a poor market in a low population state. The NBA is all me, me, me basketball and because of that Kobe or LeBron will win it. Boozer won't be on video game or magazine covers because his exposure is so small. He doesn't even have hometown credentials because he's from Alaska. Though he meets the requirments for being a Most Valuable Player, the doesn't fit the requirments for being an NBA MVP because those requirments are being an outstanding player and having mass appeal and marketability and as long as Boozer is with the Jazz he won't have that.

Two players have been awarded back-to-back NBA MVP's this decade, Tim Duncan and Steve Nash. Phoenix and San Antonio are not considered to be big markets. I don't think either of them play "me, me, me" basketball. Their hometowns were in the U.S. Virgin Islands and British Columbia, respectively.

Personally, I think Boozer will get consideration if he continues to play like this and if the Jazz are consistently at the top of the Western Conference, especially in the playoffs.

mr. synellinden
12-06-2007, 02:33 PM

Karl Malone won the award twice. And some say he robbed Michael Jordan (Chicago) for the second one. Boozer's playoff performance last year put him on the MVP map. If the Jazz continue to be an elite NBA team and Boozer puts up some big numbers in marquee games, he will be part of the top 3-5 discussion in MVP voting.

dkbaseball
12-06-2007, 02:58 PM
CBooz and Deron Williams are turning into Malone and Stockton. Given their ages, I doubt the Jazz would trade them for any two teammates in the league.

juise
12-06-2007, 03:01 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fstatistics
Maggette at 63 and Dunleavy at 69 are the next top ranked Dukies.

I don't have an Insider subscription, but I'm surprised Deng is lower than 69. I knew he was having an off year, but I didn't realize he had fallen so far. I figured he would be top 40/50.

SilkyJ
12-06-2007, 03:49 PM
CBooz and Deron Williams are turning into Malone and Stockton. Given their ages, I doubt the Jazz would trade them for any two teammates in the league.

they are unreal. d williams is built like chauncey billups, almost as quick as tony parker, passes almost as well as chris paul, shoots almost as well as nashty, and can finish at the rim almost as well as baron davis.

I'd take him being almost as good as any of those guys in their respective categories b/c, obviously, when you put it together the man is sick

Ben63
12-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Two players have been awarded back-to-back NBA MVP's this decade, Tim Duncan and Steve Nash. Phoenix and San Antonio are not considered to be big markets. I don't think either of them play "me, me, me" basketball. Their hometowns were in the U.S. Virgin Islands and British Columbia, respectively.

Personally, I think Boozer will get consideration if he continues to play like this and if the Jazz are consistently at the top of the Western Conference, especially in the playoffs.

You make a very strong case. But Duncan wins the award because he has won numerous championships. Nash puts up not just league leading numbers, but ridiculous numbers. Last night he had 18 assists and no one saw it as amazing. For Nash it's "just another day at the office." Think about it, if Greg Paulus had 12 assists we'd be ecstatic, but 18!! 18 assists is a career night for most. His career high is 22. Nash wins because his numbers are through the roof. The NBA wants its MVP to go to an iconic figure. Nash and Duncan have achieved that despite their humble beginnings. But Carlos Boozer is not an iconic figure, at least not yet. If you asked 100 random people to name five players in the NBA, Boozer would not be named by anyone outside Utah. The five would be: LeBron, Kobe, Shaq, Melo, and KG. This brings me to another point. Those were either first names or nicknames. It was not necessary for me to say LeBron James, Kobe Bryant... You knew exactly who i was talking about. You can't say Carlos or CB and have everybody know who you're talking about. Im not trying to say he shouldn't win the award, but it's not going to happen this year.

mr. synellinden
12-06-2007, 04:16 PM
I don't have an Insider subscription, but I'm surprised Deng is lower than 69. I knew he was having an off year, but I didn't realize he had fallen so far. I figured he would be top 40/50.

Deng is #83.