PDA

View Full Version : Duke-Michigan

jimsumner
11-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Just got an email that the time for the December 8 Duke-Michigan game has been changed to 2 P.M.

Originally 1:30

Adjust your lives accordingly,

Jeffrey
11-29-2007, 12:43 PM

Hi Jim,

Thanks..... will do.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

OZZIE4DUKE
11-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Just got an email that the time for the December 8 Duke-Michigan game has been changed to 2 P.M.

It being a Saturday, that is the least meaningful change they could have made. Some fans will just be 20 minutes early for the game, instead of being 10 minutes late. And the TV viewers won't miss the first few minutes of the game; oh, wait, if they are watching a noon-starting game, yes they will. The game is on CBS. Do they show a noon game? I guess they shifted our game later so they can show a noon game. And they don't have an alternate network to show the beginning of our game on. Makes you love ESPN, doesn't it?

Cameron
11-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Since I live in Ohio, I am certain that I will get this game no matter what. Wasn't sure if the Duke-Michigan game was regionalized or not? But, as for our later season game on ABC with Miami, I'm guessing I'm sh*t out of luck. There is no way that game time is not a regional setup, as ABC almost never shows a national college game. Anyone know what the set up is?

Also, I'm hoping the CBS game with NC State is within my reach as well.

I'm moving to coast as soon as possible:)

A cousin of mine is getting married the day of the Michigan game. Too bad. Have a nice life together.

kydevil
11-29-2007, 02:31 PM
A cousin of mine is getting married the day of the Michigan game. Too bad. Have a nice life together.

Send a nice present :D

Cameron
11-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Send a nice present :D

Oh I will. The game tape. The one I will have recorded (commercial free) from my Duke room couch :D

Who schedule's a wedding on a college basketball Saturday, anyway? I'm beginning to question his fan hood very seriously. Hope their kids grow up with a better value system than that:)

kydevil
11-29-2007, 02:54 PM
You didn't mention your cousin getting married was a Duke fan(I should have assumed however)

Shame on him for getting married on gameday, I can tell who is wearing the pants in that relationship :D

mehmattski
11-29-2007, 03:07 PM

AHH, an extra half-hour of sleep on Saturday morning. Alternatively, an extra hour outside Cameron before the game with some frosty cold ones. Thanks, Duke Basketball!

Cameron
11-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Shame on him for getting married on gameday, I can tell who is wearing the pants in that relationship

Lol, you have no idea:) She's a piece of work, for sure. I would have divorced her as soon as she picked the date :D

He said he wanted me to "text for updates." I said go kill yourself, I'm not texting while Taylor is shooting moon shots. I'm concentrating. We'll see where his true loyalties lie right before tip off. If he's True Blue, he'll be in front of a television set. If he's whipped (and morally defunct), he'll be at the alter.

However, I'm not exactly the best person to give advice on the value of life priorities. I was sitting in a small, dimly lit room watching Shane Battier destroy Princeton with three after three after three on a small 19-inch television screen (color fading in and out) during Duke's First Round matchup in the 2000 Preseason NIT. The rest of my family, some 40 or 50 people, were on the other side of the Church, watching my Grandfather marry his second wife.

Shane only hits nine threes in a game for Duke once in a lifetime. My Grandfather happened to marry someone as fake as plastic. Then again, perhaps I delegate priorities quite well:)

SilkyJ
11-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Lol, you have no idea:) She's a piece of work, for sure. I would have divorced her as soon as she picked the date :D

He said he wanted me to "text for updates." I said go kill yourself, I'm not texting while Taylor is shooting moon shots. I'm concentrating. We'll see where his true loyalties lie right before tip off. If he's True Blue, he'll be in front of a television set. If he's whipped (and morally defunct), he'll be at the alter.

However, I'm not exactly the best person to give advice on the value of life priorities. I was sitting in a small, dimly lit room watching Shane Battier destroy Princeton with three after three after three on a small 19-inch television screen (color fading in and out) during Duke's First Round matchup in the 2000 Preseason NIT. The rest of my family, some 40 or 50 people, were on the other side of the Church, watching my Grandfather marry his second wife.

Shane only hits nine threes in a game for Duke once in a lifetime. My Grandfather happened to marry someone as fake as plastic. Then again, perhaps I delegate priorities quite well:)

i agree with every prioritization decision you made. as i had to explain to a recent hook-up of mine, duke basketball comes before everything. EVERYTHING. she was pissed i didn't come out on her b-day after not seeing her for a couple weeks b/c I had to go watch duke play on DVR. How am I supposed to go indulge in leisurely activities when there is a perfectly good, unwatched duke game on my DVR? I wouldn't be able to hold a beer i'd be twitching so violently with anxiety.

MChambers
11-29-2007, 04:56 PM
I've got to go to a retirement party for a good friend who went to UNC, and the doggone party starts at 4 p.m. Plus, it's a long drive. arrgggghhhhh

Indoor66
11-29-2007, 04:59 PM
I've got to go to a retirement party for a good friend who went to UNC, and the doggone party starts at 4 p.m. Plus, it's a long drive. arrgggghhhhh

Just let him drift off into his senile end in holedom.

devildeac
11-29-2007, 05:41 PM

I didn't think friend and unc were compatible in the same sentence on a Duke board.

Bob Green
11-29-2007, 05:50 PM
It being a Saturday, that is the least meaningful change they could have made. Some fans will just be 20 minutes early for the game, instead of being 10 minutes late. And the TV viewers won't miss the first few minutes of the game; oh, wait, if they are watching a noon-starting game, yes they will. The game is on CBS. Do they show a noon game? I guess they shifted our game later so they can show a noon game. And they don't have an alternate network to show the beginning of our game on. Makes you love ESPN, doesn't it?

I have to disagree about the start time being, "...the least meaningful change they could have made." The game now starts at 0400 AM Sunday morning, Tokyo Standard Time, instead of 0330. That makes me happy!

Kdogg
11-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Since I live in Ohio, I am certain that I will get this game no matter what. Wasn't sure if the Duke-Michigan game was regionalized or not? But, as for our later season game on ABC with Miami, I'm guessing I'm sh*t out of luck. There is no way that game time is not a regional setup, as ABC almost never shows a national college game. Anyone know what the set up is?

Also, I'm hoping the CBS game with NC State is within my reach as well.

I'm moving to coast as soon as possible:)

Last year my local CBS started a second feed on my digital cable (Time Warner). When it was regional coverage, they would showed a different game then the normal CBS. They also showed a different game during the tournament. You might want to check out your cable system.

msdukie
11-29-2007, 10:57 PM
The Michigan game is a "full national telecast" and there still is no game before it on the CBS schedule.

As for the other CBS Duke games, there are all national, except for St. John's which is a "split" game and won't be shown in Big XII country.

The Miami game (ESPN on ABC) will also be regional.

MChambers
11-30-2007, 07:57 AM
I didn't think friend and unc were compatible in the same sentence on a Duke board.

We don't get along too well from February through April.

weezie
11-30-2007, 08:15 AM
However, I'm not exactly the best person to give advice on the value of life priorities. I was sitting in a small, dimly lit room watching Shane Battier destroy Princeton with three after three after three on a small 19-inch television screen (color fading in and out) during Duke's First Round matchup in the 2000 Preseason NIT.

I can top that with having been in labor during the '86 Final Four. Nurse came in and tried to can the tv when the shouting began.
Ah, memories....

OZZIE4DUKE
11-30-2007, 09:55 AM
I can top that with having been in labor during the '86 Final Four. Nurse came in and tried to can the tv when the shouting began.
Ah, memories....

This begs the question were you shouting from the labor pains or from the game action? Second question is were you screaming at the end or during happier moments earlier in the action? I hope your baby turned out better than the game...

kydevil
11-30-2007, 10:03 AM
i agree with every prioritization decision you made. as i had to explain to a recent hook-up of mine, duke basketball comes before everything. EVERYTHING. she was pissed i didn't come out on her b-day after not seeing her for a couple weeks b/c I had to go watch duke play on DVR. How am I supposed to go indulge in leisurely activities when there is a perfectly good, unwatched duke game on my DVR? I wouldn't be able to hold a beer i'd be twitching so violently with anxiety.

Ya, I just don't seem to get it. I tell women that Duke basketball comes before everything and they don't always understand.

For instance my girlfriend wanted to go out to celebrate our 6 month anniversary. One problem, we played Princeton the same night in the Maui invitational. She just couldn't grasp the concept of the Duke game is more important. She then continued to get more upset when I told her I wouldn't watch the game with her(needed to watch it by myself, I know some of you are the same way!)

Indoor66
11-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Ya, I just don't seem to get it. I tell women that Duke basketball comes before everything and they don't always understand.

For instance my girlfriend wanted to go out to celebrate our 6 month anniversary. One problem, we played Princeton the same night in the Maui invitational. She just couldn't grasp the concept of the Duke game is more important. She then continued to get more upset when I told her I wouldn't watch the game with her(needed to watch it by myself, I know some of you are the same way!)

Duke Basketball Watching, when not from within the venue, is a solo activity. Nothing will or should inhibit my language, temper or behavior. :) ;)

Cameron
11-30-2007, 11:29 AM
I agree with those above who believe Duke Basketball Watching to be a solo activity. Unless I am at the game, sitting in the facility (obviously), there are only two exceptions to this rule. One exception being when I am down at the Ohio State High School Basketball Tournament, in Columbus, with my Dad, while we are playing in the (in most years) Sweet 16 or Elite Eight. In that case, we watch the game at a sports bar, typically the original Max & Erma's on Henderson Avenue (if anyone here is familiar). The other exception being when I am with my OTHER cousin, a TRUE Blue believer since birth, who would NEVER allow an interference other than his own game (he plays for Hillsdale College in Michigan) to disrupt his Duke basketball. When he comes to town, we usually catch the game at a sports bar as well.

But, aside from those two circumstances, Duke Basketball is something I have to watch inside the four blue walls of my Duke Room, in complete solitude. This is because I am a very sick human being. When Sean hit that near half-courter to knock of Va Tech in '05, I paused the game tape once the game was over on a shot of a depleted Deron Washington and began, at the very top of my voice box, to chant (in what my roomate at the time, from the confines of his bed in the other room, said sounded kind of Satanic), "Not in our house, ****** hood! Not in our house, ****** hood!" Was that a rational thing to have done? Probably not, but I really hate that guy's holier than thou thug attitude.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want a girlfriend of mine to hear that :) She probably wouldn't stay too long :D

Duvall
11-30-2007, 11:33 AM
When Sean hit that near half-courter to knock of Va Tech in '05, I paused the game tape once the game was over on a shot of a depleted Deron Washington and began, at the very top of my voice box, to chant (in what my roomate at the time, from the confines of his bed in the other room, said sounded kind of Satanic), "Not in our house, ****** hood! Not in our house, ****** hood!" Was that a rational thing to have done? Probably not, but I really hate that guy's holier than thou thug attitude.

Well okay then.

jjasper0729
11-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Ah, memories....

can probably top it.

12/09/2000 - Duke v. Michigan (The 34-2 first half game). game started at 9 pm. was at the game. got home around midnight and went to bed. 3 am. Wife wakes me up and tells me she's having labor pains. we have to go BACK to duke hospital (where my son was born). waiting in the waiting room with another son while they take my wife back, the tv in the waiting room is on espn. they are showing the game again (late night repeat). was funny. she didn't have my son that night, he was born, as scheduled on 12/11.

HOWEVER, when we were with the doctor months ahead to set the date for the c-section, i checked the schedule and tried to have it scheduled the week before (12/4) so that i would be able to go to the princeton game on 12/5 and take my other two step-sons with me while we were at the hospital visiting. i'm lucky to be alive 7 years later.

merry
11-30-2007, 01:16 PM
She then continued to get more upset when I told her I wouldn't watch the game with her (needed to watch it by myself, I know some of you are the same way!)

That's the part you and some others are going to have to get over. Now admitedly I am coming at this from the other direction - female Duke fan, husband who never cared about college basketball before he met me. In the early days of our relationship he could never figure out why I'd spend all afternoon Saturday watching basketball when we could be out doing things (this is in the pre-ESPN era of the very early 80s when there was an ACC doubleheader on regional TV every Saturday) He had to be converted. Before we got married he had to know a few basic things, like all the coaches and mascots for the ACC teams (starting from scratch here - this is someone who didn't know "NC State" from "Carolina"...) and had to accept that some things were always going to take a back seat to Duke basketball.

As for the language thing, my husband and I have long had an agreement (more like a decree from me) that if our kid ever gets sent home from school for bad language, I don't care WHAT'S going on at his job he's the one who has to stay home from work and deal with it, because we all know where the kid's going to get the yelling/bad language thing from!

captmojo
11-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Here's to hoping the team gives you cause to spout nothing but squeals of delight for the rest of this season!;)

Cameron
11-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Well okay then.

Yeah, perhaps I shouldn't have shared that little tid bit :) Then again, I did say I was a very sick human being when it comes to watching Duke :D

weezie
11-30-2007, 03:30 PM
This begs the question were you shouting from the labor pains or from the game action? Second question is were you screaming at the end or during happier moments earlier in the action? I hope your baby turned out better than the game...

The game, man, the game! They dragged me into the delivery room at halftime and only the delivery of my weezie jr kept me from going totally nuts once the game was over. Since young weezie graduated from Duke this past spring, I guess everything turned out ok. Sort of, kinda....

weezie
11-30-2007, 03:34 PM
can probably top it.

Nice try but let's go back to who exactly was in labor. As in me :) .

jjasper0729
11-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Nice try but let's go back to who exactly was in labor. As in me :) .

ah, but who got belted for planning a birth to coincide with a game in the first place.

still. you trump me. my wife was not at all pleased that i thought it through the way i did.

weezie
11-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Look on the bright side, at least you got SOME credit for thinking!

Ahhhh, husbands. Can't live with 'em, can't live with 'em. ;)

jjasper0729
11-30-2007, 03:55 PM
touche