PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Poll

Bluedawg
11-29-2007, 08:51 AM
A number of fine coaches have been suggested for Duke and i though it would be fun to to see how they rank after all of the discussions.

I've gone through and picked out the coaches who have been suggested on this board, and some that have been mentioned in the media, and listed them alphabetically. I apologize if I missed your favorite but scanning these hundreds of posts looking for names proved to be harder than i expected. Plus, I'm limited by the number I can include on the poll.

Roof's replacement prospects begin to surface (http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2007/11/29/Football/Roofs.Replacement.Prospects.Begin.To.Surface-3122373.shtml)

Additional names are welcome as we move forward, but please try to keep it to realistic coaches and away from commentary on academic standards [there is another thread for that] and Joe Alleva

watzone
11-29-2007, 09:06 AM
Well, you can take five and likely six names off that list. And the guy from Michigan? That was his agent trying to drum something up.

Bluedawg
11-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Well, you can take five and likely six names off that list. And the guy from Michigan? That was his agent trying to drum something up.

Actually 9 of them are from news sources.

bjornolf
11-29-2007, 10:24 AM
we CAN'T have three Bowdens coaching in the ACC! That would be totally wrong. And both Bobby and Tommy own Terry, especially with the time he's taken off. Wow, Bobby, Tommy, Terry. There's a joke there somewhere, I just know it.

It reminds me of the end of Spaceballs when the apes are griping "Oh, $&%^, there goes the planet." I'm sorry, I like Terry, and if he wants to coach again, more power to him. But I don't want three Bowdens in the ACC!

OZZIE4DUKE
11-29-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm going to have to think about it for a while. My top 5 would be Steve Logan, Paul Johnson, Rod Broadway, Gus Malzahn (I don't know anything about him other that what I've read here on the board) and I guess Tyrone Willingham. I think I'll choose from the first three, but no guarantee.

I think Steve Logan is an offensive genius, and he's funny and engaging when he speaks - very honest, politically incorrect answers when he is asked a question. He certainly knows NC, the Triangle, and what it would take for Duke to be successful. I think if he was offered and took the job, we could be pretty sure that the administration has approved the major points in "the plan".

Paul Johnson would bring an imaginative option offense with him, and that too would be good for Duke. FDA would get to see Zack Asack start at QB, which is not a bad thing. He's done it at Navy and he would be successful at Duke.

Rod Broadway's history is excellent, as I've said before (giving him a pass on his carolina days....). I don't know squat about his offensive philosophies. I remember him as a defensive assistant, so his choice of OC would be most critical.

Malzahn sounds extremely creative on offense and Willingham brings a big name with him, which lends instant credibility to the football team (of course, he'd have to produce to keep it.)

Whoever we hire will have strong, mature talent to play with next year and should have instant success (relatively speaking). It will be his job to continue it and grow it.

Bluedawg
11-29-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm going to have to think about it for a while. My top 5 would be Steve Logan, Paul Johnson, Rod Broadway, Gus Malzahn (I don't know anything about him other that what I've read here on the board) and I guess Tyrone Willingham. I think I'll choose from the first three, but no guarantee.

I think Steve Logan is an offensive genius, and he's funny and engaging when he speaks - very honest, politically incorrect answers when he is asked a question. He certainly knows NC, the Triangle, and what it would take for Duke to be successful. I think if he was offered and took the job, we could be pretty sure that the administration has approved the major points in "the plan".

Paul Johnson would bring an imaginative option offense with him, and that too would be good for Duke. FDA would get to see Zack Asack start at QB, which is not a bad thing. He's done it at Navy and he would be successful at Duke.

Rod Broadway's history is excellent, as I've said before (giving him a pass on his carolina days....). I don't know squat about his offensive philosophies. I remember him as a defensive assistant, so his choice of OC would be most critical.

Malzahn sounds extremely creative on offense and Willingham brings a big name with him, which lends instant credibility to the football team (of course, he'd have to produce to keep it.)

Whoever we hire will have strong, mature talent to play with next year and should have instant success (relatively speaking). It will be his job to continue it and grow it.

I agree with your assessments but I wouldn't include Malzahn. I want a experienced HC. I put him on the list because his name kept popping up from the posters.

My top choice is still Logan, however Chris Hatcher has moved to a close second. The article I linked to referred to his offensive approach as the "...'Hatch Attack,' a creative passing approach that spreads the field and the ball...." I love a wide open offense!

I believe strongly in the adage that defense wins ballgames and offense sells tickets. Duke needs to sell some tickets.

CameronBlue
11-29-2007, 12:05 PM
I'd like to see some mention of Jerry Moore, the App State Coach.

hurleyfor3
11-29-2007, 12:08 PM

Duke would be a step down from Appalachian. Well, several steps down. Well, all the way down the Blue Ridge Escarpment.

Bluedawg
11-29-2007, 12:10 PM

he is on my personal list, but i only had 12 spots and since I was the only one I could find talking about him I yielded to other people's names.

Bluedawg
11-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Looks like Paul Johnson, Steve Logan, and Tyrone Willingham are the early favorates with 4 coaches tied for 4th:

Paul Johnson 12 35.29%
Steve Logan 8 23.53%
Tyrone Willingham 6 17.65%
Chris Hatcher 4 11.76%
Gus Malzahn 4 11.76%
Mike Shula 4 11.76%
Rod Broadway 4 11.76%
Skip Holtz 3 8.82%
Terry Bowden 3 8.82%
David Cutcliffe 1 2.94%
Rick Stockstill 1 2.94%
Fred Jackson 0 0%

grc5
11-29-2007, 12:43 PM
we CAN'T have three Bowdens coaching in the ACC! That would be totally wrong. And both Bobby and Tommy own Terry, especially with the time he's taken off. Wow, Bobby, Tommy, Terry. There's a joke there somewhere, I just know it.

It better start with "Three Bowdens walk into a bar..." :)

OZZIE4DUKE
11-29-2007, 01:25 PM
After due consideration, I suddenly and impulsively voted for Paul Johnson. I think it is the safer choice. Steve Logan, as much as I like listening to him, is a little too, um, hick. I'll take that back if we hire him.

VaDukie
11-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Chronicle today said Johnson isn't interested. I think he'd be a great pick, but what can you do.

whereinthehellami
11-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Whats with the interest in Willingham? The guy has been unsuccesful at two straight programs and isn't known for being much of an X's and O's guy. Sure he would respectable and is big on the athletic scholar angle but I don't see him as a program builder.

Bluedawg
11-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Chronicle today said Johnson isn't interested. I think he'd be a great pick, but what can you do.

Where in the Chronicle? i can't seem to find it.

I did see this (http://www.dukechronicle.com/poll/index.cfm?event=displayPollResults):

Who would you use choose as Duke's next head football coach?
Steve Spurrier 57%
Steve Logan 7%
Fred Jackson 6%
Paul Johnson 11%
Skip Holtz 5%
David Cutcliffe 5%
other 10%

Seems like everyone wants Spurrier back. However, lightening rarely strikes the same place twice so who says he could do it all over again?

Bluedawg
12-02-2007, 03:03 PM
The people have spoken and it looks like the winner is Paul Johnson

This is also reflected in the comments made on various threads.

grimbogey
12-02-2007, 06:50 PM

Also, when/where did the Chronicle report that Johnson is NOT interested in the job? All I've seen/read from them is that Duke is pursuing Johnson but just hasn't talked to him yet (as he was waiting until after the Army/Navy Game)

blueprofessor
12-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Anyone with the same name as my fellow Oxfordian (Magdalen College) ( okay, he was not one of my students there--I am not that old) Paul Johnson, one of the greatest historians over the last 40 years, has got to be a highly skilled , brilliant(American) football coach and the rightful heir to Coach Murray's throne. Long live Johnson!

Indoor66
12-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Anyone with the same name as my fellow Oxfordian (Magdalen College) ( okay, he was not one of my students there--I am not that old) Paul Johnson, one of the greatest historians over the last 40 years, has got to be a highly skilled , brilliant(American) football coach and the rightful heir to Coach Murray's throne. Long live Johnson!

I like your post but I differ on the throne. It is the Wallace Wade Throne. :)

blueprofessor
12-03-2007, 07:54 AM
I like your post but I differ on the throne. It is the Wallace Wade Throne. :)

Okay, then. Long live Wallace Wade and Paul Johnson!:D