PDA

View Full Version : BobLee Swagger on Duke Football

duke1981
11-28-2007, 07:14 PM
The irreverent raconteur BobLee Swagger has a new column up today on the future of Duke football. For a UNC grad he actually makes some intelligent points!

http://www.bobleesays.com/RunScript.asp?page=45&Article_ID=471&AR=AR&p=ASP\~Pg45.asp

Uncle Drew
11-29-2007, 07:35 AM
The irreverent raconteur BobLee Swagger has a new column up today on the future of Duke football. For a UNC grad he actually makes some intelligent points!

http://www.bobleesays.com/RunScript.asp?page=45&Article_ID=471&AR=AR&p=ASP\~Pg45.asp

While I agree with some of the points he makes, particularly about the bathrooms / outhouses. I think WWS should be renovated and restored for historical reasons and to salvage what little great history Duke has left. But no one on here will agree with the article or even admit they found it remotely correct or humorous. 1. The guy went to UNC and can't be right about anything. 2. He didn't get out his thesaurus and use a lot of high brow words. 3. Things he said were borderline crass if not crude and that sort of thing is only appropriate for other sites lest some grandmother or child be reading.

The only person who would disagree about the gang of 88 is the gang themselves.

jjasper0729
11-29-2007, 09:00 AM
I think WWS should be renovated and restored for historical reasons and to salvage what little great history Duke has left.

I would LOVE to see that. Alleva said in the PC that he wanted to put a building up on the other side for suites/boxes. that's ludicrous. I can understand the need/want for the suites/boxes, but a building on the other side would ruin it. be easier to take the current president's box, update it so that it's two-tiered with an enclosed section and and outside section and wrap that from the current spot, around the closed end to a matching spot on the other side (or at least to the FY building). then you have the upper levels with suites/boxes with indoor/outdoor seats and you "modernize" the stadium while keeping it cozy. the concourse/plaza from FY around to the Yoh should be updated and cleaned up and then it'll be a respectable stadium (maybe instead of the beige paint, pony up for a veneer to look like Cameron). that wouldn't cost as much as putting an ugly buliding on the east side.

grit74
11-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Every Duke fan should read boblee's column on Henderson/Psycho T and Coach K, in which he excoriated loony Tar Heel fans and defended K. It is in his archives( March 5, 2007), titled "America's Newest Bonnie & Clyde".

Uncle Drew
11-29-2007, 09:38 AM
Every Duke fan should read boblee's column on Henderson/Psycho T and Coach K, in which he excoriated loony Tar Heel fans and defended K. It is in his archives( March 5, 2007), titled "America's Newest Bonnie & Clyde".

Don't tell us, post a link!!!!!!

grit74
11-29-2007, 11:22 AM
http://www.bobleesays.com/RunScript.asp?page=45&Article_ID=386&AR=AR&p=ASP\~Pg45.asp

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Aw. c'mon BobLee....tell us what you really think.

Love, Ima

Uncle Drew
11-29-2007, 11:36 AM
The guy is a UNC alum and fan, but I have to admit I like the guy. Most of you won't like his "way with words" but outside in the real world that's sugar coating every day speach.

formerdukeathlete
11-29-2007, 03:04 PM
I would LOVE to see that. Alleva said in the PC that he wanted to put a building up on the other side for suites/boxes. that's ludicrous. I can understand the need/want for the suites/boxes, but a building on the other side would ruin it. be easier to take the current president's box, update it so that it's two-tiered with an enclosed section and and outside section and wrap that from the current spot, around the closed end to a matching spot on the other side (or at least to the FY building). then you have the upper levels with suites/boxes with indoor/outdoor seats and you "modernize" the stadium while keeping it cozy. the concourse/plaza from FY around to the Yoh should be updated and cleaned up and then it'll be a respectable stadium (maybe instead of the beige paint, pony up for a veneer to look like Cameron). that wouldn't cost as much as putting an ugly buliding on the east side.

the architecture firm hired by Duke has come up with an attractive plan, including a building instead of the leanto open presidents box. the building adds symmetry, and thereby most would say improving the appearance of teh stadium, and boxes, suites help raise revenue. You rent them to Wachovia, B of A, etc., and they may or may not use them - they raise substantial funds. In addition, the building adds some height to an otherwise shallow stadium, and it looks more impressive.

the additional funds help the football program and athletic department overall.

norduck
11-29-2007, 09:13 PM
By Dave Glenn

http://www.wral.com/sports/blogpost/2096028/

Duvall
11-29-2007, 09:29 PM
the building adds symmetry, and thereby most would say improving the appearance of teh stadium, and boxes, suites help raise revenue. You rent them to Wachovia, B of A, etc., and they may or may not use them - they raise substantial funds. In addition, the building adds some height to an otherwise shallow stadium, and it looks more impressive.

the additional funds help the football program and athletic department overall.

What funds? Who would pay money for a Wallace Wade luxury suite? Aside from Ozzie, I guess.