PDA

View Full Version : Spurrier on Campus today?

ikiru36
11-28-2007, 05:06 PM
According to this article (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/799294.html), Steve Spurrier was on campus today hanging out with Alleva.

Likely this is only on a consultation basis (and wasn't he a prime recommender of Franks?) but nevertheless kinda cool. At least it definitely should mean that they're actively working on the vacancy with some seriousness.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EarlJam
11-28-2007, 05:11 PM
According to this article (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/799294.html), Steve Spurrier was on campus today hanging out with Alleva.

Likely this is only on a consultation basis (and wasn't he a prime recommender of Franks?) but nevertheless kinda cool. At least it definitely should mean that they're actively working on the vacancy with some seriousness.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it within the realm of possibility that Spurrier is looking to face the ultimate challenge? Looking past the $$$ and looking to save the program that helped give him his start? Could it be? Is it possible?

-EJ

ikiru36
11-28-2007, 05:23 PM
If so, perhaps he'd sorta be pulling a Roy, returning partly as penance for recommending Franks (as Roy recommended Mad Matt). Actually, it's highly unfair to compare Franks relative ineptness against difficult odds to Doherty's mad and cruel antics despite an excellent opportunity to excel.

While unlikely all around it would be an interesting parallel, if Spurrier's returning to Duke were discussed at all.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Classof06
11-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Is it within the realm of possibility that Spurrier is looking to face the ultimate challenge? Looking past the $$$ and looking to save the program that helped give him his start? Could it be? Is it possible?

-EJ

Don't tease me like that. If Spurrier became Duke's head coach, I would probably jump through my ceiling.

Even if Spurrier isn't going to be the next coach (which is most likely the case), it's good to see Alleva is consulting him and it's great that Spurrier wants to see the program get back on its feet.

duke98
11-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Don't tease me like that. If Spurrier became Duke's head coach, I would probably jump through my ceiling.

Even if Spurrier isn't going to be the next coach (which is most likely the case), it's good to see Alleva is consulting him and it's great that Spurrier wants to see the program get back on its feet.

Oh, man. If Steve Spurrier becomes the next head coach of Duke Football, I will buy season tickets and fly back (from Oregon) for every home game. Mark it down!

It probably won't happen...but it's nice to dream. And if Alleva had this lined up since before he fired Roof, maybe I won't think he's such a bonehead anymore.

Indoor66
11-28-2007, 05:56 PM
We only get lightning in a bottle once. I don't think Spurrier is the answer.

Devilsfan
11-28-2007, 06:26 PM
At USC where a 440 on yor sats and a 4.40 in the 40 and benching 440lbs. gets you into school I think he went 1-5 to finish the season.

billybreen
11-28-2007, 06:37 PM
If this isn't the mad pinnacle of unrealistic coaching expectations, I don't know what is. ;)

rthomas
11-28-2007, 06:42 PM
If this isn't the mad pinnacle of unrealistic coaching expectations, I don't know what is. ;)

Word, but it is encouraging that Spurrier might be helping Duke pick a new coach.

SilkyJ
11-28-2007, 06:43 PM

i think we've all gone delusional after so many pathetic seasons. i'll believe any rumor at this point

Duvall
11-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Word, but it is encouraging that Spurrier might be helping Duke pick a new coach.

Well, it worked so well the last couple of times we tried it.

VaDukie
11-28-2007, 06:57 PM
At USC where a 440 on yor sats and a 4.40 in the 40 and benching 440lbs. gets you into school I think he went 1-5 to finish the season.

Academic concerns are a good point; but he's not losing to scrubs in the SEC.

billybreen
11-28-2007, 07:19 PM
i think we've all gone delusional after so many pathetic seasons. i'll believe any rumor at this point

I heard Vince Lombardi is planning to coach the team from beyond the grave.

wilson
11-28-2007, 07:28 PM

Can we get Pop Warner instead? The Single Wing is BOSS.

captmojo
11-28-2007, 07:56 PM
The announcers during the USC-Clemson game said he had mentioned that he was not happy. His displeasure was coming from the belief that his players were not putting forth enough effort.

mgtr
11-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Not even DU has the resources to entice Spurrier back there. Although, if he wants a challenge ...

Kdogg
11-28-2007, 08:54 PM
The scuttlebutt on USC (that's right they've been there a 100 years before Southern Cal) boards is that Steve Spurrier, Jr is candidate.

Zeke
11-28-2007, 09:06 PM
I remember Spurrier. He was the one that was being wined and dined and gleefully announcing his acceptance of the Fla head coaching position while the Duke team was practicing for the only bowl bid they had for a long long time. Left a sour taste in my mouth about him ever since.

captmojo
11-28-2007, 09:11 PM
I can't bring myself to go against a guy that wants to coach at his alma.

flash
11-29-2007, 12:19 AM
Spurrier did not recommend Carl Franks for HC job. In fact he told Alleva that he did not think that Carl was ready to be a head Coach. I don't have a god feeling about Alleva, Broadhead and a couple english professors selecting the next football HC. Those guys are likely to consult Mike Nifong before making the hire.

SilkyJ
11-29-2007, 12:30 AM

it'd be an improvement...

DevilAlumna
11-29-2007, 12:33 AM

I want to be there to see the playcalling. ; )

ikiru36
11-29-2007, 12:40 AM
Spurrier did not recommend Carl Franks for HC job. In fact he told Alleva that he did not think that Carl was ready to be a head Coach. I don't have a god feeling about Alleva, Broadhead and a couple english professors selecting the next football HC. Those guys are likely to consult Mike Nifong before making the hire.

If that is the case, Flash, that Spurrier didn't recommend Franks, thank you for the clarification. For some reason I was under that, apparently false, impression.

P.S. Whatever my feelings about Alleva, he definitely doesn't give me a "god feeling" either. ;0)

Go Duke!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

norduck
11-29-2007, 12:59 AM
were you present when Spurrier told Alleva,Carl Franks was not up to snuff for the HC job?

Devil07
11-29-2007, 10:50 AM
http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2007/11/29/News/Spurrier.Meets.With.Joe.Alleva-3122365.shtml

Chronicle article on Spurrier's visit. I thought this line about whether or not Spurrier is a candidate was interesting:
"He could be, sure," Duke Sports Information Director Art Chase said. "Everyone's a candidate."

Channing
11-29-2007, 10:58 AM
I think we should just have someone upstairs playing simulated games of NCAA football and use the "Ask Lee" function to figure out which play to run.

Slant
11-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Devils need a new stadium before we are ever to compete and attract a top coach. Good ol' Wallace Wade has served its purpose. We now need a 55,000+ seat facility to entice someone like Steve again to the house.

EarlJam
11-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Devils need a new stadium before we are ever to compete and attract a top coach. Good ol' Wallace Wade has served its purpose. We now need a 55,000+ seat facility to entice someone like Steve again to the house.

In other words, "If you build it they will come?"

-EarlJam

billybreen
11-29-2007, 03:00 PM
In other words, "If you build it they will come?"

-EarlJam

Fantastic new userpic. Kudos.

g4orce
11-29-2007, 03:06 PM
I think we should just have someone upstairs playing simulated games of NCAA football and use the "Ask Lee" function to figure out which play to run.

YOu must've been sitting in front of me this season, b/c I swear we could've done a better job of play calling at times by using a recommendation from any football video game.

I'm not going to get delirious yet about Steve. I'm still bitter about how he left. I understand about going back to your roots, but he could've waited until after the bowl game was over to flaunt it. I still think how that went down demoralized our boys and played a part on the loss.

Still, he must have some big brass bells if he were to come back. Either he becomes the savior or just another martyr.

EarlJam
11-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Fantastic new userpic. Kudos.

I can't get sued or anything for using/manipulating his pic can I? I've been paranoid about people we talk about reading this board ever since I got called a douchebag, on my birthday mind you, by that guy that runs the sh*ty Onion wannabe site.

-EarlJam

alteran
11-29-2007, 03:26 PM
I can't get sued or anything for using/manipulating his pic can I?

-EarlJam

IANAL (BIUTBATWAABFWPCL). (I am not a lawyer, but I used to be a tech writer and am basically familiar with publishing copyright law). I am sure one of the many lawyers here will find things to correct, but here's what I was taught:

You are dodging virtually all lawsuit potential by not SELLING the pic or using it to raise money.

I don't know who the guy is, but you're probably covered under fair use assuming this satirizes a public figure.

Otherwise, you would still receive a cease-and-desist letter prior to suing. If you comply, no lawsuit.

Now, some moron could always sue you (http://www.google.com/search?q=moron+sues&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) and put you through the pain of fighting it no matter what you did, but typically (and particularly if you tangled with a corp or business interest) that's the way it would play out.

captmojo
11-29-2007, 05:44 PM
IANAL (BIUTBATWAABFWPCL). (I am not a lawyer, but I used to be a tech writer and am basically familiar with publishing copyright law). I am sure one of the many lawyers here will find things to correct, but here's what I was taught:

You are dodging virtually all lawsuit potential by not SELLING the pic or using it to raise money.

I don't know who the guy is, but you're probably covered under fair use assuming this satirizes a public figure.

Otherwise, you would still receive a cease-and-desist letter prior to suing. If you comply, no lawsuit.

Now, some moron could always sue you (http://www.google.com/search?q=moron+sues&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) and put you through the pain of fighting it no matter what you did, but typically (and particularly if you tangled with a corp or business interest) that's the way it would play out.

Being a certified member of "The United Brotherhood of Morons" local 007, I, for one, am not interested in monetary compensation for Earl's indiscretion and violation of an image of our illustrious President. I hearby waive all rights to subrogate and/or make claim against EarlJam.

Indoor66
11-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Being a certified member of "The United Brotherhood of Morons" local 007, I, for one, am not interested in monetary compensation for Earl's indiscretion and violation of an image of our illustrious President. I hearby waive all rights to subrogate and/or make claim against EarlJam.

I believe the photo is of Doug Gotleib. Do you have fixation issues?

captmojo
11-29-2007, 05:48 PM
I believe the photo is of Doug Gotleib. Do you have fixation issues?

Sorry. I thought he was still president of our local.

throatybeard
11-29-2007, 09:45 PM
SOS makes more than $2M: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3133700

NYC Duke Fan
12-01-2007, 02:46 AM
There was a short squib in The New York Times last week saying that Spurrier was seen on the Duke campus shaking hands with Alleva. Obviously he is not leaving USC to come back to Duke. Anyone know anything about Spurrier's visit which I think, (I could be mistaken about the timing though), came prior to USC playing Clemson, ( which as a football rivelry equalls Duke-UNC basketball rivelry).

I can't imagine that he came up from Columbia to give his input on a new football hire even though I understand that he and Alleva are good friends, a telephone call could have had the same result.

MulletMan
12-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Recruiting trip to the area with a stop in to Duke to pimp his son for the job. As a wise old man pointed out to me, if Spurrier were in town to interview for the position, it probably would have been behind closed doors.

Indoor66
12-01-2007, 08:52 AM
I can't imagine that he came up from Columbia to give his input on a new football hire even though I understand that he and Alleva are good friends, a telephone call could have had the same result.

Unless he also wanted a round of golf at the Duke course - which he has always liked.

Lavabe
12-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Recruiting trip to the area with a stop in to Duke to pimp his son for the job. As a wise old man pointed out to me, if Spurrier were in town to interview for the position, it probably would have been behind closed doors.

Atlanta radio suggested the same thing about his son.

The talk here in Atlanta is that Tech is talking to Edsall (UConn) and Neuheisel. Cross those two off the Duke list.;)

Cheers,
Lavabe