PDA

View Full Version : Vitale to Have Throat Surgery

EarlJam
11-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Say what you will about Dick Vitale, but this is touching, and cool. I know he can be annoying, and it is completely logical and fair to separate his profession from his public works, but Dickie V has been HUGE for the game and is a great human being.

A link to the story and an opportunity to give:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/seth_davis/11/28/hoop.thoughts/1.html

-EarlJam

blazindw
12-18-2007, 10:14 AM
http://espn.go.com/dickvitale/071218lettertofans.html

Best wishes to Dickie V...many people may think he's annoying, but you hate to see this. I personally wish him a speedy recovery and that he's back on the sidelines real soon.

j.j. jones
12-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Well, the lesions on his vocal cord may explain why his voice has seemed kind of weak or hoarse the past few seasons. I've enjoyed Vitale over the years and wish him a successful operation and look forward to having back in the booth in February as planned.

AtlBluRew
12-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Dickie V gives a lot of himself to college basketball and, more importantly, to efforts to fight cancer. Get well soon Dickie V!

3rd Dukie
12-18-2007, 11:51 AM
While I respect Vitale's efforts to do good deeds in many different areas, I, for one, wish him a complete recovery followed immediately by retirement.

Over the past few years, I have become almost physically unable to tolerate him.

As I said, however, I do wish him a complete and healthy recovery. It's just my opinion, but it is time for him to go. Maybe it's a generational thing.

tommy
12-18-2007, 12:00 PM
I wish him nothing but the speediest and fullest recovery as well, and I truly respect the work he's done to honor his friend Jimmy V. That being said, he is truly a terrible "commentator" as he does little commenting on the game and is essentially a glorified cheerleader. What I will look for, and hopefully ESPN will look for too, is the change if any in the ratings while he is gone. If he can be replaced by someone else who actually analyzes the game, and there is no dropoff in the ratings, why not take this opportunity to move on from this guy? Wally Pipp!

dukeisawesome
12-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Get well Dickie!

And...goodness...do you guys want a numbers-crunching Hubie Brown as a commentator, I love the excitement Dickie V brings to the game. I'll analyze the game myself, I don't need a know-it-all announcer telling me what to think.

MulletMan
12-18-2007, 12:32 PM
I wish him nothing but the speediest and fullest recovery as well, and I truly respect the work he's done to honor his friend Jimmy V. That being said, he is truly a terrible "commentator" as he does little commenting on the game and is essentially a glorified cheerleader. What I will look for, and hopefully ESPN will look for too, is the change if any in the ratings while he is gone. If he can be replaced by someone else who actually analyzes the game, and there is no dropoff in the ratings, why not take this opportunity to move on from this guy? Wally Pipp!

You're right. I hope that after you give your life to promoting something, and giving your all to it, that at a time in your life when you're down, someone comes along and says, "Hey, wouldn't this be a great chance to get rid of Tommy?"

You may not like Vitale as an announcer, but for a second, remember that he is a person. A person who gives thier all to college basketball, fighting cancer and just being a generally good guy.

sandinmyshoes
12-18-2007, 12:35 PM
He is annoying, but he also seems a nice guy. I wish they would keep him in the studio. His energy in studio snippets would be fun. His energy courtside resulting in long stories about who he knows and what he thinks of them just tend to trample all over the game itself.

Turtleboy
12-18-2007, 01:03 PM
There are plenty of good guys who are terrible at their jobs. Vitale is one of them. I wish no harm on anyone, but if he never broadcasts another basketball game the sports world will be a better place.

Karl Beem
12-18-2007, 01:05 PM
There are plenty of good guys who are terrible at their jobs. Vitale is one of them. I wish no harm on anyone, but if he never broadcasts another basketball game the sports world will be a better place.

I hope his voice will be good enough for the studio. He really is knowledgeable.

SilkyJ
12-18-2007, 01:16 PM
As I said, however, I do wish him a complete and healthy recovery. It's just my opinion, but it is time for him to go. Maybe it's a generational thing.

I dont think so. most members of all generations in my house don't really like him...I am an exception :)

AMERICA! ARE YOU SERIOUS! DIPSY-DO-DUNKAROO!

Ben63
12-18-2007, 01:28 PM
I love Dickie V. Everytime I watch a premeir college hoops game I know he'll be calling it. When he doesnt it just doesnt seem natrual. I hope he back for the Feb 6 Duke-Carolina game.

Get Well Soon Dickie V.

EarlJam
12-18-2007, 01:55 PM
I love Dickie V. Everytime I watch a premeir college hoops game I know he'll be calling it. When he doesnt it just doesnt seem natrual. I hope he back for the Feb 6 Duke-Carolina game.

Get Well Soon Dickie V.

Amen; I agree completely. I just love his enthusiasm during the games. It's fun. He makes watching the game fun, for me, EarlJam. He's like a crazy grandfather or something.

A great guy, a little nuts, can go wayyyyyyyyy off topic but, for some like me, he just puts a smile on your face no matter what he's rambling about.

Get well soon Dickie V!

-EarlJam

jipops
12-18-2007, 02:01 PM
I hope his voice will be good enough for the studio. He really is knowledgeable.

About what? Things NOT pertaining to the pertinent subject matter?

3rd Dukie
12-18-2007, 02:02 PM
I dont think so. most members of all generations in my house don't really like him...I am an exception :)

AMERICA! ARE YOU SERIOUS! DIPSY-DO-DUNKAROO!

This made me absolutely crack up laughing out loud!
Great Move, Silky!! You nailed it.

Karl Beem
12-18-2007, 02:11 PM
About what? Things NOT pertaining to the pertinent subject matter?

I'm watching the '92 games, he's relatively restrained. His annoying shtick has developed since then.

juise
12-18-2007, 03:34 PM
The intent of this thread is to wish a speedy recovery to a college-basketball lover and icon. Personally, I think it would be nice if this thread remained in that vein. I feel like 2c and 3b can be covered else where.

If you dislike the man's commentating so much that you would rather he didn't recover from surgery, perhaps a separate thread should be started for such sentiments. :(

3rd Dukie
12-18-2007, 03:50 PM
The intent of this thread is to wish a speedy recovery to a college-basketball lover and icon. Personally, I think it would be nice if this thread remained in that vein. I feel like 2c and 3b can be covered else where.

If you dislike the man's commentating so much that you would rather he didn't recover from surgery, perhaps a separate thread should be started for such sentiments. :(

WHAT??

I was the first to mention how annoying he is to me, and, if you would bother to read my post, you would see that I SPECIFICALLY did wish him a complete recovery. Twice.

Further, where has ANYONE said that they did not want him to recover? All people are saying is that maybe he could be better deployed in the studio (I could live with that) or he should retire. What are you reading?

EarlJam
12-18-2007, 04:43 PM
WHAT??

I was the first to mention how annoying he is to me, and, if you would bother to read my post, you would see that I SPECIFICALLY did wish him a complete recovery. Twice.

Further, where has ANYONE said that they did not want him to recover? All people are saying is that maybe he could be better deployed in the studio (I could live with that) or he should retire. What are you reading?

Agreed to your point, but I think Juise would rather see the thread stay COMPLETELY on target - a speedy recovery - without any additional commentary on what ESPN needs to do with Dick when he returns.

In short, this thread is a virtual Get Well Card for the Dickster.

If you were in a hospital and were reading a get well card, you'd likely want it to be void of career commentary. Example:

Dear EarlJam,

I love you and sincerely hope the surgery to remove the butcher knife from the back of your skull goes well. We will be praying for you and the doctors performing the surgery. Also, when you return, could you please make certain to begin including cover sheets on your TPS Reports? I mean, geeesh, enough is enough. We are seriously considering moving you to the basement with Stevens. Thanks.

-Wanda in Management

-EarlJam

Classof06
12-18-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm always suprised at how annoyed people get by Dickie V. Even if I weren't a Duke fan, Vitale (IMO) is synonymous with college basketball. I agree he's a little too in-your-face but I also think he's done a good job of toning it down, most notably last season.

I don't know, I've grown up watching Dickie V do color so I like him a lot. It probably doesn't hurt that he loves my alma mater..

3rd Dukie
12-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Agreed to your point, but I think Juise would rather see the thread stay COMPLETELY on target - a speedy recovery - without any additional commentary on what ESPN needs to do with Dick when he returns.

In short, this thread is a virtual Get Well Card for the Dickster.

If you were in a hospital and were reading a get well card, you'd likely want it to be void of career commentary. Example:

Dear EarlJam,

I love you and sincerely hope the surgery to remove the butcher knife from the back of your skull goes well. We will be praying for you and the doctors performing the surgery. Also, when you return, could you please make certain to begin including cover sheets on your TPS Reports? I mean, geeesh, enough is enough. We are seriously considering moving you to the basement with Stevens. Thanks.

-Wanda in Management

-EarlJam

Earl,

Point taken. I love your example, and if you will let us know (or perhaps have a relative notify us) when you are undergoing that particular surgery, I promise not to include a job evaluation. Now, THAT is a perfect way to make a point!

I must be getting giddy in my old age. Everything is cracking me up. I'm not even drinking. Good luck with that butcher knife thing.

juise
12-18-2007, 05:24 PM
WHAT??

If I were talking to you, I would quote your post... like this. :)

My main point was the first paragraph, referencing the intent of the thread and reminding everyone that 2c/3b can be covered elsewhere. The second paragraph wasn't a response to anyone (again, if it was, I would quote that person)... it was more of a preemptive "Shhh." My bag of "Shhh" doesn't have your name on it... yet. ;)

Earljam was correct in restating my sentiment.

3rd Dukie
12-18-2007, 05:50 PM
If I were talking to you, I would quote your post... like this. :)

My main point was the first paragraph, referencing the intent of the thread and reminding everyone that 2c/3b can be covered elsewhere. The second paragraph wasn't a response to anyone (again, if it was, I would quote that person)... it was more of a preemptive "Shhh." My bag of "Shhh" doesn't have your name on it... yet. ;)

Earljam was correct in restating my sentiment.

You might have been better off by letting EJ's hilarious post stand on its own. He resolved things in a wonderfully skilled manner. Your response above, and I am talking to you, sounds dangerously close to a threat.

I think I'll be finished with this thread. Somehow I am reminded of a saying about something in the punch bowl... I couldn't care less whose name your personal bag of SHHH has on it. At least you cured my laughter.

EJ: Again, great example and good luck on your surgery, but work on those reports.

juise
12-18-2007, 06:11 PM
YYour response above, and I am talking to you, sounds dangerously close to a threat.

You have my apology for sending an unintended message.

I don't threaten people, but if I did, my threats wouldn't have multiple smiley faces and Austin Powers references (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlv7Bp-L2MM) in them.

jipops
12-18-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm watching the '92 games, he's relatively restrained. His annoying shtick has developed since then.

I remember him already driving me crazy in '90.

However, best wishes to Vitale on his throat surgery. He seems to be a genuinely nice guy, even if he is one of the most annoying announcers.

ugadevil
12-18-2007, 10:04 PM
As Mike Tirico and Scott Van Pelt said today on the radio, there have been few people who have done as much for college basketball than Dick Vitale. His passion for the game and for people (especially college athletes) is something that is very admirable. I hope Dick can be back in time for the UNC game in February. To me, it never gets old to listen to someone who has fun and who cares so much about the college athletes he covers.

BobbyFan
12-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Amen; I agree completely. I just love his enthusiasm during the games. It's fun.

I agree to a certain extent. I still prefer someone who provides good analysis and knows his stuff. But seeing as to how they can be of a rare breed, I'd definitely prefer Vitale, who at least provides some excitement, over a mundane voice whose analysis is painfully obvious and therefore adds nothing to the broadcast.

elvis14
12-18-2007, 10:38 PM
You can add me to the list of people that think college hoops just isn't complete without DICKIE V BABY! As others have said, I don't need some boring guy spitting stats and telling what to think. I'll take Dick's contagious enthusiasm instead. I hope he gets well soon and comes back to annoy all of y'all that are kickin' at him while he's down.

Cavlaw
12-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Agreed. I just noticed this morning that in his letter to fans reporting on the conditions of his voice, his request for well wishes is to direct them to the V Foundation instead of himself.

tommy
12-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Get well Dickie!

And...goodness...do you guys want a numbers-crunching Hubie Brown as a commentator, I love the excitement Dickie V brings to the game. I'll analyze the game myself, I don't need a know-it-all announcer telling me what to think.

Unlike some people, I don't feel like I already know everything about the game of basketball. In fact, there is a lot I don't know and I look forward to opportunities to increase my knowledge. Hubie Brown is widely recognized within the coaching profession and among the college and professional ranks as one of the great true teachers of the game. Ever. He knows the game thoroughly. He articulates his points very well, and he is funny and having fun doing what he loves. I have seen him at many basketball camps over the years, and listened to him on the air, and always learn nuances of the game from him every time I see or listen to him. I'll take that any day over listening to Vitale's stream-of-consciousness riffing on who he had dinner with last night, his granddaughters, Notre Dame, or players and coaches totally unrelated to the game he is supposed to be analyzing. Sure, enthusiasm is great, but guys like Hubie Brown demonstrate that you can be knowledgeable, interesting, analytical, smart, funny, focused, AND enthusiastic, all at the same time. Give me that.

captmojo
12-19-2007, 05:22 PM
I send get well wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery for Mr Vitale. His shtick may be tiresome for some but I think he is just about the most sincere fan of college athletics in this country.

May God bless you, and get back to good health.

IUGrad03
12-19-2007, 06:28 PM
My thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery Dickie V. And for those who are so annoyed, I would take Dickie V any day over Billy Packer or Len Elmore.

weezie
12-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Dick is a nice man, always approachable, always kind to fans. I hope he gets better soon.

SouthgateWindsor
12-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Sending best wishes to Mr. Vitale! I love his enthusiasm for the game, he really makes every broadcast fun to watch.

weezie
12-19-2007, 10:32 PM
During the Pistons-Celtics game the announcers said Vitale's lesions were clean. So that's good news.

Turtleboy
01-11-2008, 06:43 PM
You can add me to the list of people that think college hoops just isn't complete without DICKIE V BABY! As others have said, I don't need some boring guy spitting stats and telling what to think. I'll take Dick's contagious enthusiasm instead. I hope he gets well soon and comes back to annoy all of y'all that are kickin' at him while he's down.And I don't need some yahoo screaming at the top of his lungs about everything but the game. If he could stay on point he might be barely tolerable. I don't need manufactured excitement. It's plenty exciting without his shtick. Give me reasoned analysis any day.

Norm Chad wrote a brilliant opinion piece about Vitale, basing it on his "announcing" of a Duke/GaTech game. The Devils managed to score 18 straight points without either Vitale or his partner noticing! They managed to carry on a conversation during an 18 point run that not only did not include one fact about the game, but after it was over they had no idea what had happened.

He's a hack. He needs to go.

johnb
01-11-2008, 07:19 PM
From Dickie V, as reported in today's New York Post (a newspaper I wouldn't ordinarily read):

"'I'm hoping, praying and dreaming to be back at courtside for the greatest rivalry in college sports Duke @ North Carolina (Feb. 6). I'll know more about the reality of the situation after being evaluated by Dr. Steven Zeitels in Boston on Sunday (Jan. 13), It's been very tough for someone as active as me to have so much time....boring....and I can't wait to get back on the college campuses with the students so I can be 68 acting like 12 again.'

It is hard to imagine Dickie V. watching a college basketball
game and not screaming "You're awesome baby" at the top of his lungs.

His head may explode if his first game back is Duke-UNC. ESPN may want to start him off with something a little less exciting, like a rehab start for a baseball player. Virginia Tech-North Carolina State on Feb. 5th on ESPNU would be perfect."

and from me: churlish comments about vitale should go elsewhere, but not on this thread. he's enthusiastic and loves duke and basketball... rock on Dickie V!