PDA

View Full Version : Where have the Spuds and Mugsies Gone?

EarlJam
11-28-2007, 02:10 PM
For a while, their used to be numerous "little guys" in college and pro hoops that were 1) really good and 2) fun to watch/marketable in that they excelled in a sport dominated by big guys.

Are there any players currently out there that could be considered modern day Spuds or Mugsies? If so, where are they?

-EarlJam

devilish
11-28-2007, 02:25 PM
I thought you were talking about the original party animal, Spuds Mackenzie.

Seriously though, there was a guy at Washington a few years ago who was rather short, but could jump out of the gym. Did he go pro early? I can't keep track.

Wander
11-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Oregon's best shooter is 5-5 or something like that.

bdh21
11-28-2007, 02:28 PM

Seriously though, there was a guy at Washington a few years ago who was rather short, but could jump out of the gym. Did he go pro early? I can't keep track.

Nate Robinson played at UW. He is now in his 3rd(?) year with the Knicks and is a solid member of their rotation--he's getting about 20 mpg.

Duvall
11-28-2007, 02:29 PM

Nate Robinson (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nate_robinson/index.html?nav=page). He's playing for the Knicks now, God help him.

Channing
11-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Earl Boykins? At 5'5 I think he is the smallest player in the NBA. Nate Robinson is ~5'8/9

jimsumner
11-28-2007, 02:34 PM
http://goxavier.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/lavender_drew00.html

MChambers
11-28-2007, 02:53 PM
http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=54

Andrew Levander is probably the most well-known of the group.

Cameron
11-28-2007, 03:12 PM
This was from a few years ago but who could forget Michigan's 4-foot Avery Queen? The Cameron Crazies' chant when he was warming up out on the floor was priceless: [pointing towards Chris Duhon's iconic little brother] Little Duhon!, [then pointing towards Queen] Little point guard!

That cheer was classic.

Olympic Fan
11-28-2007, 03:33 PM
First, there simply isn't another Muggsy Bogues -- he was as unique in his way as Bill Russell or Pistol Pete Maravich (not saying he's as good as those guys ... just that, like them, there's no one like them).

You had to see Muggsy play to appreciate him -- I remember Al McGuire screaming that his play in a four OT game against State was the most dominate performance he'd ever seen in a college game. I remember his Dunbar High teammate Reggie Williams saying that Bogues was the greatest player he ever played with -- and that included Alonzo Mourning at Georgetown. Or just ask Johnny Dawkins or Tommy Amaker -- they were terrorized by Bogues until K came up with the rule that the one being harrassed by Bogues would give up the ball and let the other run the team.

Spud Webb was amazing -- but Nate Robinson is similar. There are a bunch or smaller point guards around -- Boykins, Lavender -- Florida's got one coming in.

CDu
11-28-2007, 03:34 PM
For a while, their used to be numerous "little guys" in college and pro hoops that were 1) really good and 2) fun to watch/marketable in that they excelled in a sport dominated by big guys.

Are there any players currently out there that could be considered modern day Spuds or Mugsies? If so, where are they?

-EarlJam

I don't know about numerous, but there were a couple back in the day. Spud Webb and Mugsy Bogues are the only ones that come to mind, so it's not like they were all over the place.

There are two guys that kind of fit that bill in the NBA now. Earl Boykins is the super little man (5'5"), and Nate Robinson is the little man who plays like a normal guard (5'8"). That's still pretty good representation by the little guy, if you ask me.

Indoor66
11-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Spud Webb was amazing -- but Nate Robinson is similar. There are a bunch or smaller point guards around -- Boykins, Lavender -- Florida's got one coming in.

Jai Lucas, son of John Lucas (MD).