PDA

View Full Version : Hehehe UNC fans are funny

cbfx3
11-28-2007, 11:50 AM
There is no less than 14 threads on the front page alone at the inside carolina board that are Duke related. There are several posters there that want a seperate section for duke related threads... Wow .. their fascination with Duke is flattering

EarlJam
11-28-2007, 11:52 AM
There is no less than 14 threads on the front page alone at the inside carolina board that are Duke related. There are several posters there that want a seperate section for duke related threads... Wow .. their fascination with Duke is flattering

What is the gist of their conversations?

-EJ

ikiru36
11-28-2007, 11:53 AM

To that point, can we close this thread now, please!

:0)

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phaedrus
11-28-2007, 11:56 AM
To be honest, I'm more interested with IC's Duke obsession than I am with the Carolina team itself. It is pretty extraordinary.

pamtar
11-28-2007, 12:00 PM
To be honest, I'm more interested with IC's Duke obsession than I am with the Carolina team itself. It is pretty extraordinary.

Maryland's Duke obsession actually scares me!

pamtar
11-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Straight of the board:

The darkness has returned
ladies and germs, ^$%^$%^$%^$%iedom is back and if mr lawson does not take it to the next level when his wheel gets better we are going to be the worse for it..

Lord Ash
11-28-2007, 12:12 PM
There are two types at inside carolina from what I can tell;

The few smart fans who hate Duke as they should, but who give the devil his due (no pun indended.)

and then

The HUGE amount of moronic masses who are COMPLETELY OBSESSED with Duke to the point that they talk more about Duke than Carolina. Seriously, they are CRAZY, and to be honest really embarassing. You would think being a fan of such an amazing program would give them more self-esteem.

EarlJam
11-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Maryland's Duke obsession actually scares me!

Your avatar scares me. It looks like a cross between the wicked witch of Oz and Lee Harvey Oswald. And the gun is pointed at me!

-EarlJam

P.S. Not a serious criticism. Just making light. But it does intimidate me a little. I always found "The Wizard of Oz" to be creepy.

pamtar
11-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Your avatar scares me. It looks like a cross between the wicked witch of Oz and Lee Harvey Oswald. And the gun is pointed at me!

-EarlJam

P.S. Not a serious criticism. Just making light. But it does intimidate me a little. I always found "The Wizard of Oz" to be creepy.

Dont be scared of Les Diables Bleus!

hc5duke
11-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Dont be scared of Les Diables Bleus!

The Duke Shooting Club used that picture for our shirts, with the caption "The Original Blue Devil". I get weird looks from people when I wear it (at Duke or otherwise).

Carlos
11-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Is Taylor King the President of this year's Duke Shooting Club?

Patrick Yates
11-28-2007, 02:07 PM
There are two types at inside carolina from what I can tell;

The few smart fans who hate Duke as they should, but who give the devil his due (no pun indended.)

and then

The HUGE amount of moronic masses who are COMPLETELY OBSESSED with Duke to the point that they talk more about Duke than Carolina. Seriously, they are CRAZY, and to be honest really embarassing. You would think being a fan of such an amazing program would give them more self-esteem.

Being born and raised in the state of NC, and choosing Duke as my "school" during elementary school, and later attending Duke, I can tell you that UNC is like most other state schools in this nation. The vast majority of the "fans" have no affiliation with the school They didn't go the school, none of their relatives did, and few of their friends did. It is "the" state school, so you support it. Period.

Not having attended UNC, they have no true appreciation for either Basketball, or the rivalry. They rarely watch any game that isn't UNC, unless it is to check up on Duke. The only Duke games they watch are "big" games, be it non-conf or conf. rivals. Duke is the only measuring stick for their program, other than the NC.

I beleive that for every fan who has some affiliation with his school, there is a grudging respect for that schools rival. It may be wrapped in vitrolic hatred, but there is respect. Fans with no affiliation never really experience the rivalry, thus all they have is hatred and fear. Large schools have tons of these type of fans. Schools like Duke have very few, as the vast majority of our fans, at least those passionate enough to follow a board, have some connection with the school (or chose the school to follow due to sympathetic views on the importance of education, something many non-affiliated fans of state schools shun entirely). In other words, a Duke fan who didn't go to Duke is likely to have matriculated at a quality school somewhere. For UNC fans, many of their fans aren't smart enough to obtain a application to UNC, much less fill it out and get accepted.

Thus, at the sites for large state schools, the most vitrolic fans weren't smart enough to get into the school, and thus their opinions are basesless and unsupported. It's fun to gawk at, but those boards have no real merit.

Patrick Yates

Bluedog
11-28-2007, 02:12 PM
What is the gist of their conversations?

-EJ

Wow, IC is truly scary. There are 7 Topics with "Duke" in the subject line, and 5 topics with "D***" in the subject line on the FRONT PAGE. And the moderators have had to lock 3 of them b/c people are so obsessed. I have never actually looked at IC before, and I don't plan to again! Most of them are pretty senseless with nonsensical ramblings about how we're overrated, how our opponents have been overrated, Dukie V, DSPN, how K is a rat, how UNC would destroy us, how we rely solely on the 3, how Roy has more national titles than k since 2002, how Duke's PG stinks, how to correctly spell "D***", and then the occasionally thread that's started by somebody who says something that Duke does well, and then proceed to get ripped to shreds for saying that any player on our team did anything reasonably well.....whoa

Bluedog
11-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Being born and raised in the state of NC, and choosing Duke as my "school" during elementary school, and later attending Duke, I can tell you that UNC is like most other state schools in this nation. The vast majority of the "fans" have no affiliation with the school They didn't go the school, none of their relatives did, and few of their friends did. It is "the" state school, so you support it. Period.

Not having attended UNC, they have no true appreciation for either Basketball, or the rivalry. They rarely watch any game that isn't UNC, unless it is to check up on Duke. The only Duke games they watch are "big" games, be it non-conf or conf. rivals. Duke is the only measuring stick for their program, other than the NC.

I beleive that for every fan who has some affiliation with his school, there is a grudging respect for that schools rival. It may be wrapped in vitrolic hatred, but there is respect. Fans with no affiliation never really experience the rivalry, thus all they have is hatred and fear. Large schools have tons of these type of fans. Schools like Duke have very few, as the vast majority of our fans, at least those passionate enough to follow a board, have some connection with the school (or chose the school to follow due to sympathetic views on the importance of education, something many non-affiliated fans of state schools shun entirely). In other words, a Duke fan who didn't go to Duke is likely to have matriculated at a quality school somewhere. For UNC fans, many of their fans aren't smart enough to obtain a application to UNC, much less fill it out and get accepted.

Thus, at the sites for large state schools, the most vitrolic fans weren't smart enough to get into the school, and thus their opinions are basesless and unsupported. It's fun to gawk at, but those boards have no real merit.

Patrick Yates

Good point. Definitely true.

tux
11-28-2007, 02:49 PM

Patrick Yates

I'm a NC native and Dukie as well, and I've heard this meme several times over the years (Wake fans also like to point to all the uneducated UNC fans who buy all their tacky gear at the local Wal*Mart, etc.). There's an elitist undercurrent to it, I guess reflecting how we're all adept at tweaking our rivals with whatever "weapons" we can fashion out of the differences between our schools.

I do feel, however, that the student population at Duke is a little more good-natured about the rivalry and about UNC in general. My very first visit to Duke as a HS student, I overheard a debate b/w Duke students re: the relative beauty of the 2 campuses, with several favoring UNC. I would be very surprised to overhear something similar in CH, and definitely not among the UNC alums I've known over the years. Been to several "UNC" weddings where toast after toast has been prefaced with references to shared time at "the greatest university in the world" --- said, unbelievably, without a hint of irony. In a way, I found all the hyperbole sweet, but not something I've ever witnessed among my Duke friends.

My explanation is that most UNC folks hail from NC and have grown up on the Duke-UNC rivalry; their Duke hatred has been boiled down through several generations. However, a large swath of incoming Duke students need an orientation on all of this when they get to campus; sure, they develop a certain amount of real hatred for our rivals, but at times it seems much more like a hat they've tried on just be be part of the fun...

To say that all (or even most) of the irrational posts on the IC board come from degree-less UNC fans is to severely underestimate the disgust many UNC alums feel for Duke...

Highlander
11-28-2007, 02:53 PM
However, a large swath of incoming Duke students need an orientation on all of this when they get to campus; sure, they develop a certain amount of real hatred for our rivals, but at times it seems much more like a hat they've tried on just be be part of the fun...

My freshman year, someone on my hall asked me in all seriousness, "Now is it Carolina... or State that we have the big rivalry with?"

True Story.

EarlJam
11-28-2007, 02:57 PM
My freshman year, someone on my hall asked me in all seriousness, "Now is it Carolina... or State that we have the big rivalry with?"

True Story.

Good Lord.

Did he/she finally come around? That's on the verge of being hopelessly lost.

-EarlJam

jjasper0729
11-28-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm going to agree with Patrick Yates and tux there. In the same vein (NC native and Dukie). most everyone i went to HS with were either state or carolina people. some because of family ties (my uncle and 2 of my cousins went to state, some people's parents went to state and/or carolina) but most because you either liked state or carolina. only a handful were duke fans. I didn't care then, don't really care now. most of the ones that were state/carolina fans didn't even go to college outside of the community college if at all so no skin off my astebula as far as the comparisons of the campuses (give me the gothic wonderland any day).

BoC
11-28-2007, 03:15 PM
...how Roy has more national titles than k since 2002...

Wow, did they really narrow down the range like that? Reminds me of Steve Martin in The Jerk, telling a carnival patron which prizes were available...

Carnival Rube What'd I win?

Navin Uh, anything in this general area right in here. Anything below the stereo and on this side of the bicentennial glasses. Anything between the ashtrays and the thimble. Anything in this three inches right in here in this area. That includes the Chiclets, but not the erasers.

Lord Ash
11-28-2007, 03:22 PM
The Jerk had some of the best lines EVER.

I totally agree about the no affiliation thing; there are SO many Carolina fans who have no connection to Carolina. I have no respect for that at all. Sorry.

OldPhiKap
11-28-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm going to agree with Patrick Yates and tux there. In the same vein (NC native and Dukie). most everyone i went to HS with were either state or carolina people. some because of family ties (my uncle and 2 of my cousins went to state, some people's parents went to state and/or carolina) but most because you either liked state or carolina. only a handful were duke fans. I didn't care then, don't really care now. most of the ones that were state/carolina fans didn't even go to college outside of the community college if at all so no skin off my astebula as far as the comparisons of the campuses (give me the gothic wonderland any day).

I think you also have a fundamental difference between the institutions. UNC is the flagship institution of the state, and Dean was identified with old south Democrats. Duke is a private institution whose students (over the last few decades, at least) "ain't from around here" and are more Republican-leaning. They're apples and oranges, even though they are both excellent academic institutions.

Kind of like Alabama-Auburn, where there is a real cultural difference between the fanbases (primarily).

throatybeard
11-28-2007, 03:34 PM
I think you also have a fundamental difference between the institutions. UNC is the flagship institution of the state, and Dean was identified with old south Democrats.

I don't agree with this at all. Dean is a liberal from a very illiberal state, Kansas, and started coaching at UNC in the 60s. In his way, Dean was a pioneer on race stuff in North Carolina.

"Old South Democrats" are Dixiecrats, 90-some-odd % of whom have realigned with the Red team.

AnimalFriendly
11-28-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm surprised anyone would say Duke students as a whole, even over the last few decades, are more "Republican leaning" since so many come from several northeastern & New England states that are very much "blue".

jjasper0729
11-28-2007, 03:39 PM
yeah.. i have to agree with that one. i would tend to doubt that the majority of duke students lean "red" (I do, and did, but i'm an independent thinker and the blue's don't mesh with my opinions on things).

thing is, today's tar-holes aren't too much different. most of the red group actually shade red over in raleigh (at least in my old neck of the woods in SENC).

Duke12
11-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Both Duke and Carolina are great Universities and are very fortunate to have world class basketball programs. As your children get closer to college age, you will appreciate Carolina more and more.....but still want to beat them at least twice every year

bird
11-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Both Duke and Carolina are great Universities and are very fortunate to have world class basketball programs. As your children get closer to college age, you will appreciate Carolina more and more.....but still want to beat them at least twice every year

I've told my daughter I would be very happy if she wanted to go to UNC, but carefully instructed her that the only UNC team I would root for would be one she played on (not possible). Otherwise, ABC baby. Its a matter of faith.

mpj96
11-28-2007, 05:07 PM
As a NC native and Duke alum I'm surprised to hear so many support his comments. It is my impression and experience that just as many unaffiliateds support Duke as UNC. Moreover, on more than one occasion I have an "unaffiliated type" supporting Duke on the basis that we have white players that are good.

While I support Duke and loathe UNC teams, I think it is tougher to find an actual "unaffiliated" UNC fan b/c they graduate so many a year that it is pretty common around these parts to know someone well who went there.

Also agree that Deano is (fortunately) not an old style democrat. He is a democrat who to the best of my knowledge has supported integration in the early years at UNC and has spoken out publicly against the death penalty. the only misstep I have seen him take is supporting former player Richard Vinroot for guv in his bid against Easely a few years back.

Duvall
11-28-2007, 05:08 PM
As a NC native and Duke alum I'm surprised to hear so many support his comments. It is my impression and experience that just as many unaffiliateds support Duke as UNC.

This is absolutely true. Maybe not as many, but there are certain plenty of both.

freedevil
11-28-2007, 05:09 PM
I dunno how many others will agree with me, but I view most UNC fans on the following spectrum:

The more intelligent they are (regardless of whether they actually went to UNC), the more rational they are about the rivalry. They hate Duke, but realize it's just a game.

The less intelligent they are, the more irrational they are, i.e. they believe K "ordered Gerald to break Tyler's nose", etc. So when I travel into the world that is IC and become flabbergasted at the things people actually say, I realize, "Hey, I'm dealing with a bunch of crazy people."

EarlJam
11-28-2007, 05:13 PM
I dunno how many others will agree with me, but I view most UNC fans on the following spectrum:

The more intelligent they are (regardless of whether they actually went to UNC), the more rational they are about the rivalry. They hate Duke, but realize it's just a game.

The less intelligent they are, the more irrational they are, i.e. they believe K "ordered Gerald to break Tyler's nose", etc. So when I travel into the world that is IC and become flabbergasted at the things people actually say, I realize, "Hey, I'm dealing with a bunch of crazy people."

I agree and would say this goes for any rivalry of any kind on any surface of the planet.

-EarlJam

nicktonyg22
11-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Yeah. Wow. Just got back from the world of inside carolina and my brain hurts. Supposedly Duke pays off the refs and K coaches our players to handcheck from the very beginning of the game because the ref's can't call every foul. Clearly, handchecking is the reason you beat a top 25 team by 24 points.

On a separate note, it was ironic that while I was reading Inside Carolina, Bill Plaschke (sp?) of Around the Horn on ESPN was saying how Duke "has only won 1 National Championship in the past 15 years (convenient cut off considering it would be 3 in the past 17), that Duke is only recruiting fringe talent unlike OJ Mayo etc, and that Duke's day as a powerhouse is over." I need to find a way to avoid paranoid, uninformed, jealous Duke haters...

EarlJam
11-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah. Wow. Just got back from the world of inside carolina and my brain hurts. Supposedly Duke pays off the refs and K coaches our players to handcheck from the very beginning of the game because the ref's can't call every foul. Clearly, handchecking is the reason you beat a top 25 team by 24 points.

On a separate note, it was ironic that while I was reading Inside Carolina, Bill Plaschke (sp?) of Around the Horn on ESPN was saying how Duke "has only won 1 National Championship in the past 15 years (convenient cut off considering it would be 3 in the past 17), that Duke is only recruiting fringe talent unlike OJ Mayo etc, and that Duke's day as a powerhouse is over." I need to find a way to avoid paranoid, uninformed, jealous Duke haters...

So funny how you can play with stats. How about:

Duke is one of only seven teams out of more than 200 to win a National Championship this decade

Or...

Since 1990, Duke has won more basketball National Championships than any other Division I school

Or...

Eat me Bill Plaschke

-EarlJam

hc5duke
11-28-2007, 05:44 PM

Duke is one of only seven teams out of more than 200 to win a National Championship this decade

Or...

Since 1990, Duke has won more basketball National Championships than any other Division I school

Or...

Eat me Bill Plaschke

-EarlJam

In the last 20 years, Duke is the ONLY team to win a national championship in years ending in '1'. In the same span, only one other team has won a championship in years ending in '2'. Mind-bottling stats.

rthomas
11-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Don't look now, but this thread clearly reflects the Dukie fascination with UNC that they have with us that we have with them that they have with us that we have with them that they have with us.

In the last couple days, we've had this thread (which says alot). We've had the Pulling for the Tarheels thread (58 replies, over 1500 hits), the BYU giving carowhina a game thread (over 29 replies. over 1200 hits), a thread on UNC in Charlotte...

It's a two way street. Watch out for traffic.

RelativeWays
11-28-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm going to disagree with Patrick Yates to an extent because if I follow his logic, I am "less" of a Duke fan because I didn't attend the school, my only relation to Duke is I have a stepfather and an uncle who graduated from there. The fact that I watch the games on TV, buy the merchandise, buy tickets to attend them live when I can is somehow rendered inadequate because I didn't go to Duke. I suppose I can't pull for the Saints or the Cubs because I never played for the teams or lived in the respective cities. I understand the whole "state school" mentality, but please don't try to invalidate someones passion for their team just because they didn't go to the school or meet some other mysterious criteria. Besides, there aren't a lot of sports to root for at my alma mater, UNC-Greensboro. Homecoming is a soccer game for chrissakes.

bdh21
11-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Don't look now, but this thread clearly reflects the Dukie fascination with UNC that they have with us that we have with them that they have with us that we have with them that they have with us.

Contempt breeds familiarity.

cbfx3
11-28-2007, 06:25 PM
The bottom line is they (UNC fans) are SCARED.. very SCARED. I love the way they point out how many times they beat us over the last 4 games... umm what about the 20 before that?? I think they know deep down they are overrated this year and we have been underrated. I have been telling people all summer that I think Duke will be a top 5 team and has a great shot to win the ACC. good chance for a deep run in the dance too. I think they know if there is any sort of sweep this year they will be on the losing end of it. Our guys can go with anybody IMO.. If the shots are falling (big if BTW!) I dont know how any team can match up or slow us down. especially a team with a lot of size. I predict this years team will be remembered for a long time. Look like they a well on the way to being a great team. Mark my words .. Duke will be atop the rankings at some point this year

dukepsy1963
11-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Someone said that "UNC supporters" buy their UNC stuff at WalMart. Hey..how can we get them to stock more/some Duke stuff? I like low prices too! Maybe some letters to the CEO?

----------
North Carolinian
Duke '63 (circa civil war period)
Sister, niece also grads

sandinmyshoes
11-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Maybe they should do like the TDD started doing and combine all the threads into one. That way they won't look so obsessed. Of course, there is the on going issue of threads on a Duke board about Duke threads on a UNC board. Let's just face it. We're obsessed with each other, and that maybe is the way it should be in a great rivalry.

I'll hang up now, and wait for all the yes-but threads about how it's not the same thing here or on TDD. :o

CatchTheFox
11-28-2007, 07:21 PM
It's not every day that being a Durham native and a Duke student comes in handy... After haunting the board for a while, I figured it was time to start posting :-D

Anyways, I grew up in Durham and attended school with a pretty even mix of Carolina and Duke fans. Though many of them had few or no ties to Duke OR Carolina, I wouldn't call them lesser fans -- I was (an am) a HUGE dukie, and would have been regardless of whether or not I eventually attended. And none of my family went to Duke.

However, I would agree with the previous posters that there are a higher percentage of loud, obnoxious, know-nothing carolina fans than duke fans. Maybe its because its easier to hate the wealthy, mostly-out-of-state, "white-collar" school, or maybe because success gathers ignorant hangers-on (anyone notice how these kinds of obnoxious Carolina fans were conspicuously absent during the Matt Dougherty era?).

I say, let them obsess... they're clearly worried, and I'm loving every minute of it.

throatybeard
11-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Someone said that "UNC supporters" buy their UNC stuff at WalMart. Hey..how can we get them to stock more/some Duke stuff? I like low prices too! Maybe some letters to the CEO?

The last laugh is on them. Wal-Mart's business model relies on abundant cheap oil. Won't be much of that left soon.

RelativeWays
11-28-2007, 11:01 PM
I thought their business model was praying on small towns like a cancer and forcing manufacturers to price their goods so low they either go out of business or go overseas. Anyway, Duke and its fans should be glad that Wal-Mart doesn't sell alot of Blue Devil merch. I'm sure Target has a nicer selection anyway.

throatybeard
11-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Target is almost as bad from that perspective.

DBFAN
11-28-2007, 11:25 PM
I take some offense even though I know you guys do not mean any, about the no affiliation thing. I have no affiliation with Duke, and I do not know many other Duke fans who are as obsessed with Duke basketball as I am. No harm no foul, I will let it slip this one time.

I would have to disagree about the liberal and conservative debate also. I am pretty sure that Chapel Hill may indeed be one of the most liberal institutions in the southeast, even though most of their ignorant fans are good old boys who only vote straight ticket republican, (Truth is always stranger than fiction). Duke does seem to be a little more on the Conservative side, (well Republican at least, there is a difference). I know that Duke does have some very liberal teachers, like the Law Professor who left earlier this year to go out to California, I forget his name, but from what I have read he makes the ACLU seem like Conservatives. Anyway I know this is long I am just upset Carolina won, I know I will get over it.

gotham devil
11-29-2007, 04:03 AM

Or...

Or...

Eat me Bill Plaschke

-EarlJam

FWIW, he now has a daughter who is a freshman at Notre Dame.

Uncle Drew
11-29-2007, 06:11 AM
The bottom line is they (UNC fans) are SCARED.. very SCARED. I love the way they point out how many times they beat us over the last 4 games... umm what about the 20 before that?? I think they know deep down they are overrated this year and we have been underrated. I have been telling people all summer that I think Duke will be a top 5 team and has a great shot to win the ACC. good chance for a deep run in the dance too. I think they know if there is any sort of sweep this year they will be on the losing end of it. Our guys can go with anybody IMO.. If the shots are falling (big if BTW!) I dont know how any team can match up or slow us down. especially a team with a lot of size. I predict this years team will be remembered for a long time. Look like they a well on the way to being a great team. Mark my words .. Duke will be atop the rankings at some point this year

IMO: UNC had it their way in the ACC and in the state of North Carolina so long that they thought no one could usurp their dominance. Then Duke under Coach K came along and tied them for national championships. (It was then you started hearing about a national championship in 1924, no one had ever brought up before.) Then the 8-20 season hit UNC and everyone in baby blue was reading Revelations trying to determine if the world was ending. All of a sudden Roy wins a NC with someone else's recruits, UNC brings in some some highly ranked classes / players and Duke doesn't have a great front court and the tables have turned. We Duke fans have dreams of passing them for wins, national championships and evening the head to head record. UNC fans feel it is there birthright to have all this but they know their biggest threat is in Durham. We're scared to fall further behind because we have been playing catch up all these years. They are scared someone will take their birthright.

RelativeWays
11-29-2007, 08:09 AM

Not quite. Target, at least here in NC, doesn't pray on small towns the way Wal-Mart does. Heres a good example. The town I live in, Burlington (ok technically Elon) has had a Wal-Mart since 1990. Burlington got a Wal-Mart about 3-4 years before Greensboro did. Burlington has a population of roughly 50,000 whereas Greensboro has a population of around 250,000. We didn't get a Target until about a year or so ago and that had a lot to do with Elon University. Not saying that Target doesn't undercut the local businesses but their prices are higher than Wal-Mart and there is a more reasonable margin of competition.

RelativeWays
11-29-2007, 08:21 AM
IMO: UNC had it their way in the ACC and in the state of North Carolina so long that they thought no one could usurp their dominance. Then Duke under Coach K came along and tied them for national championships. (It was then you started hearing about a national championship in 1924, no one had ever brought up before.) Then the 8-20 season hit UNC and everyone in baby blue was reading Revelations trying to determine if the world was ending. All of a sudden Roy wins a NC with someone else's recruits, UNC brings in some some highly ranked classes / players and Duke doesn't have a great front court and the tables have turned. We Duke fans have dreams of passing them for wins, national championships and evening the head to head record. UNC fans feel it is there birthright to have all this but they know their biggest threat is in Durham. We're scared to fall further behind because we have been playing catch up all these years. They are scared someone will take their birthright.

I think to some extent, the whole birthright thing has already come to pass. Dean Smith, to a lot of people, WAS the ACC and UNC the flagship school of the conference. Now he has been retired for about a decade, K has won more championships and now he is the figurehead of the ACC, Duke the flagship school (UNC still is as well) There is a lot of resentment from UNC fans that they are no longer to sole top dog and that K commands a certain respect that was afforded to only Smith earlier.

killerleft
11-29-2007, 10:43 AM
So if you didn't go to college, you should just root for your high school and ignore collegiate sports altogether?

killerleft
11-29-2007, 10:46 AM
The Jerk had some of the best lines EVER.

I totally agree about the no affiliation thing; there are SO many Carolina fans who have no connection to Carolina. I have no respect for that at all. Sorry.

Sorry. Thought I was at the end of the thread. That question was for Lord Ash.

Uncle Drew
11-29-2007, 10:49 AM
So if you didn't go to college, you should just root for your high school and ignore collegiate sports altogether?

I can't pull for any hiskewel I was home skeweled, but mom says I just as smart as ineone.

Cali-Duke
11-29-2007, 10:52 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teamphotos?photoId=1742131&teamId=153

oh hansblahblah

Duvall
11-29-2007, 10:58 AM

oh hansblahblah

I don't get it.

EarlJam
11-29-2007, 11:11 AM

oh hansblahblah

That guy penetrates well against Hansblahblah.

-EarlJam

Uncle Drew
11-29-2007, 11:18 AM
That guy penetrates well against Hansblahblah.

-EarlJam

No you didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Uncle Drew
11-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Earl, who is this Realtive Ways guy in Burlington and do we know him? He knows about the Target up the street from me.

CameronBlue
11-29-2007, 11:24 AM

It's pronounced Tar-ZHAY. It's French.

Uncle Drew
11-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Il n'est pas français! Il n'est pas un seul berret ou croisant dans le magasin!

Allez Duke! Allez au diable Caroline!

CameronBlue
11-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Il n'est pas français! Il n'est pas un seul berret ou croisant dans le magasin!

Allez Duke! Allez au diable Caroline!

Parlez en anglais, s'il vous plait! Je ne parle pas, francais!

Descendre aux enfers, Caroline, descendre aux enfers!

Uncle Drew
11-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Parlez en anglais, s'il vous plait! Je ne parle pas, francais!

Translation: Il n'est pas français! Il n'est pas un seul berret ou croisant dans le magasin!.............It's (Target) not French! There isn't a beret or croisant in the entire store!

Translation : Go to hell, Carolina, go to hell! :cool:

weezie
11-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Don't those heel folks know that there's lead in that barfy blue color, made in China merchandise at Walmart?

EarlJam
11-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Earl, who is this Realtive Ways guy in Burlington and do we know him? He knows about the Target up the street from me.

I'm not sure. I do not know him.

-EJ

WheatDevil
11-29-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't agree with this at all. Dean is a liberal from a very illiberal state, Kansas, and started coaching at UNC in the 60s. In his way, Dean was a pioneer on race stuff in North Carolina.

"Old South Democrats" are Dixiecrats, 90-some-odd % of whom have realigned with the Red team.

So I'm minding my own business, just browsing along through an entertaining thread when I suddenly see this little gem. What does Kansas have to do with IC Duke obsession discussion? Was that really necessary?

-From all of the 'illiberal' Kansans with a Duke diploma

throatybeard
11-29-2007, 03:39 PM
So I'm minding my own business, just browsing along through an entertaining thread when I suddenly see this little gem. What does Kansas have to do with IC Duke obsession discussion? Was that really necessary?

Huh?

OldPhiKap characterized Dean as being mixed up with Old South Democrats.

I disputed that, because:

(a) Dean is from Kansas, a place not known for being overrun with Dixiecrats, like North Carolina was, and (b) Dean is known for racial progressiveness, something not associated with Dixiecrats.

I don't see why anyone would take offense to my classifying Kansas as a conservative state. It's been an R stronghold in national politics forever. So if Dean is a D, he's a D in the context of national politics, not in the context of the pre-realignment South.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Didn't mean to cause a fire storm.

1. I'm going from the perspective of when I was at Duke (Reagan Era). Duke was VERY Republican. Some seem to take that as either flattery or an insult, but it's not meant as either. Simple observation.

2. I seem to recall Dean being a pretty open Democrat. Again, don't mean that as flattery or an insult. I think you overgeneralize about race relations and southerners (or that Republicans have a better record on that score), but I'll leave that for another day.

3. My broader point was that the two institutions stand for very different things, and that tends to split fans on more than just what happens on the hardwood. Duke stands for many things. UNC stands for many things. Your allegiance to the school thus often represents portions of you beyond a simple game.

(And, if this causes another firestorm, let's just pretend I kept my mouth shut at the get-go).

-- OPK

WheatDevil
11-29-2007, 04:04 PM
It appears I misunderstood your use of the word illiberal. I'm sure you can forgive me if I mistakenly thought you were attempting to make one of your 'play on words' tricks.

alteran
11-29-2007, 04:24 PM
I take some offense even though I know you guys do not mean any, about the no affiliation thing. I have no affiliation with Duke, and I do not know many other Duke fans who are as obsessed with Duke basketball as I am. No harm no foul, I will let it slip this one time.

I admit to grinding my teeth whenever people bring up "affiliation" as making the only really worthy fans. It bugs me for two reasons:

1) I resemble that remark. I'm from Durham, my dad took me to Duke games as a kid, and they are forever my team. I had been living and dying (mostly dying, this was the 70s) by Duke basketball for 15 years before most affiliateds got around to affiliating.

2) I wanted to be a journalist after high school, and went to UNC. Any judgment which professes that it's best for me to root for UNC is seriously, seriously flawed. ;-)

Highlander
11-29-2007, 05:18 PM
IIRC, weren't people here at the beginning of the year bemoaning our "easy" preseason schedule? Out of curiosity, I just compared our OOC schedule to UNC's. We play three ranked teams (Pitt, Wisconsin, and Marquette) prior to starting our conference slate. Two of those are on neutral courts, and only one is at home.

UNC, on the other hand has zero, I repeat ZERO, ranked teams on their OOC schedule.

They do have a string of 6 straight away games, which is challenging, and play some traditionally powerhouse teams (Kentucky, Ohio State) who are noticeably down this year.

So I can take a UNC fan ribbing us on our inability to play out of conference games on partisan courts (the value of which is debatable compared to conf games IMO). What I can't take is a UNC fan bemoaning how easy our schedule is when ours is respectable and theirs is less than that.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Any judgment which professes that it's best for me to root for UNC is seriously, seriously flawed. ;-)

Reductio ad absurdum. Good point.