PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Wisconsin

Jumbo
11-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Who was the Man of the Match against Wisconsin?

Duvall
11-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Nelson with a great floor game. As K noted in the postgame, there was a reason why King and Paulus were open for those first-half threes.

mapei
11-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Absolute team win tonight, no one player stood out. I'm voting for Greg because of good game management, clutch shots, clutch defense, but really all the starters but Henderson played well tonight, along with King (first half) and Scheyer (second) off the bench.

phaedrus
11-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Scheyer, not for his defense and rebounding, but because he wasn't afraid to take open shots and take it strong in the paint.

juise
11-27-2007, 11:39 PM
I voted for Greg because of the spark he provided during our big run and his steady play throughout the game. If K were an option, I would have chosen him for putting together this ridiculously fun and talented team. :)

VaDukie
11-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Absolute team win tonight, no one player stood out. I'm voting for Greg because of good game management, clutch shots, clutch defense, but really all the starters but Henderson played well tonight, along with King (first half) and Scheyer (second) off the bench.

Don't you mean Lance? I thought Henderson was solid tonight.

mapei
11-27-2007, 11:43 PM
Now that you mention it, Lance wasn't great, either, and really may not have gotten that many minutes? But I thought Henderson was trying too hard and failing to finish repeatedly.

Dukiedevil
11-27-2007, 11:56 PM
Demarcus really had a great all-around game. About 1/2 way through the 1st half, I thought "Man, Demarcus is playing well tonight". Right about that point Dickie V made one of his few game observations noting that he hadn't scored yet...

A similarly good game by Scheyer. He's my runner up MOM

toughbuff1
11-27-2007, 11:59 PM
So many people played well, but I have to go with Singler. He really showed his toughness tonight after getting bloodied and cheap-shotted, and he didn't let it affect his game at all.

billybreen
11-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Great win, and I'll give the nod to Paulus for his shooting and his fire. Could easily have given it to Singler or King. Wow, is this team fun to watch.

dukeENG2003
11-28-2007, 12:17 AM
I voted Jon Scheyer. 9 boards! We really didn't get punished on the glass like I thought we would, Illinois really hurt us on the glass, but our guards were spectacular, in particular, Scheyer. His hustle was amazing.

elvis14
11-28-2007, 12:23 AM
I voted for King Taylor because he won rock paper scissors! What a great team win.

blazindw
11-28-2007, 12:28 AM
I voted Jon Scheyer. 9 boards! We really didn't get punished on the glass like I thought we would, Illinois really hurt us on the glass, but our guards were spectacular, in particular, Scheyer. His hustle was amazing.

Scheyer was killing people on the boards tonight. At Buffalo Billiards tonight, Viking Guy mentioned how he was everywhere on the defensive end, and I agreed. For how small he looked down there, to grab 9 boards is awesome and indicative of his great effort. A truly excellent game by Jon. He gets my vote.

Jumbo
11-28-2007, 12:35 AM
I was torn between Nelson and Scheyer watching the game. Paulus scored a lot of points, but most of those were the result of someone else making the play. Plus, he got beat quite a bit on D. I don't want to become a plus/minus robot, but in the end that edge lifted Scheyer over Nelson when I voted. Both had terrific floor games.

mehmattski
11-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Jon Scheyer for the same reasons as dw... also I'm posting only to point out that at the time I voted, the MOTM voting very eerily resembles a Poisson distribution with Greg Paulus as the mean. That is all.

wisteria
11-28-2007, 12:39 AM
haha, just look at the poll! so many players getting votes...it was really a great team effort.

Cicero
11-28-2007, 12:40 AM
It was difficult to pick on player, but I went with DeMarcus. I thought he gave us great energy when we looked winded in the second half. Also, his seven assists were key...as Coach K noted, several of them led to big threes. Finally, that second half dunk was absolutely nasty. I have no idea how it looked on TV, but it was vicious and awe-inspiring in person.

M. Tullius

wisteria
11-28-2007, 12:43 AM
Finally, that second half dunk was absolutely nasty. I have no idea how it looked on TV, but it was vicious and awe-inspiring in person.

M. Tullius

ESPN had THE WORST angle in the world for that dunk. All we got to see was the lower part of the players body, and the ball dropped, and the crazies went crazy. It was ridiculous. Lucky that they replayed it with a good angle.

VaDukie
11-28-2007, 12:54 AM
I voted for Paulus but after looking at his line, I'd say it was Nelson. 9 pts, 7 rebs, 7 assists, and a great defensive effort. Great arguments in favor of Scheyer and King too.

watzone
11-28-2007, 12:55 AM
DeMarcus Nelson 9 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks - nuff said

killerleft
11-28-2007, 01:02 AM
I voted for Scheyer to see how the voting was going. There needs to be a button labeled TEAM.

Johnboy
11-28-2007, 01:07 AM
I was torn wmong Nelson, Paulus and Sheyer and edging towards Paulus, but then I read this thread and gave it to Nelson. Great team win.

Jumbo
11-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Bumping this back up...

dw0827
11-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Scheyer.

Seemed like he all over the court . . . just a gutsy performance.

Jumbo
11-28-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm convinced some people just look at the boxscore and vote for the leading scorer...

Indoor66
11-28-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm convinced some people just look at the boxscore and vote for the leading scorer...

Any possibility that the name listing could include the Stat line for the players? This might give pause before voting.

captmojo
11-28-2007, 10:10 AM
I voted for Scheyer to see how the voting was going. There needs to be a button labeled TEAM.

I completely agree here. I voted for Scheyer. He showed a lot of guts last night, though Singler has the bruises and scars to prove his. A wonderful team effort. The more this decision difficulty persists, much the better.

mgtr
11-28-2007, 10:13 AM
I voted for Nelson for reasons stated -- an overall complete game. Second -- Scheyer, third -- Paulus. GP scored well, but the team looks to him for assists.

CameronBlue
11-28-2007, 11:17 AM
I voted from Paulus as a default option. Duke's team defense determined this match. In the first half Duke did an excellent job of pressuring the ball on the perimeter and denying easy entry passes. The help and recover on the interior deserved an A/A- as well. Despite Wisconsin's overwhelming height advantage none of their big buys are of T-bro's quality but after last night's game I feel more confident that Duke has the tools to offset big teams. So Team Defense gets my vote...with a close second going to the jump-rope team that performed at the half. They were awesome.

Jumbo
11-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Any possibility that the name listing could include the Stat line for the players? This might give pause before voting.

I think that would only lead to more of the voting I'm describing. For instance, the stat line would show Paulus' 18 points, but would have no way to indicate the number of times he lost his man on defense. I actually like to vote before I see the stats, so I can base it on what I actually observed.

mph
11-28-2007, 12:12 PM
A strong case could be made for Nelson and Paulus, Scheyer played well in every phase of the game.

Was there a single loose ball last night that Scheyer didn't track down?

SilkyJ
11-28-2007, 12:37 PM

agreed all around. i voted for scheyer b/c i couldnt help but notice how he kept getting rebounds. he can just flat out play. i'm more impressed with him every game.

Scheyer, not for his defense and rebounding, but because he wasn't afraid to take open shots and take it strong in the paint.

how about for all those reasons!

also, i know demarc is in GREAT shape, but there was no need for him to play 34 min last night

socaldukie
11-28-2007, 12:56 PM
I went with Scheyer. He just showed toughness and did all the things necessary to make Duke come out on top. Not so much his 9 rebounds, but his determination and energy.

phaedrus
11-28-2007, 01:12 PM
how about for all those reasons!

well, sure. but i expect the other things from jon - the confidence on offense is especially good to see.

hc5duke
11-28-2007, 01:35 PM
So lavell12 is Zoubek's mom, huh. Nice to meet you Mrs. Zoubek :)

throatybeard
11-28-2007, 04:38 PM
So lavell12 is Zoubek's mom, huh. Nice to meet you Mrs. Zoubek :)

I voted for Jumbo's mom as Man of the Match.

Classof06
11-28-2007, 04:54 PM
I'd have to say Paulus. At the beginning of the season, I said I'd wait until ACC play to see how Paulus rebounded from a rough season a year ago but I've seen enough. After playing 3 ranked teams in the past 10 days, I must say I'm very impressed with the way Paulus had played. Simply put, he's starting to show why Duke recruited him. I hope he and the rest of the guys keep it up because I'm thoroughly impressed with this team.

camion
11-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Everyone. The team kicked bu**.

Bob Green
11-28-2007, 05:31 PM
I voted for Taylor King. He was awesome in the first half and that's the only part of the game I was able to watch due to my work schedule. I forgot to program my VCR so I had no tape to watch last night after I got home from work. :mad:

ojaidave
11-28-2007, 07:25 PM

I think that would only lead to more of the voting I'm describing. For instance, the stat line would show Paulus' 18 points, but would have no way to indicate the number of times he lost his man on defense. I actually like to vote before I see the stats, so I can base it on what I actually observed.

I voted for Paulus, prior to reading the thread, and had forgotten he was the leading scorer. Yes, he was beat a few times, but I thought he did a great job controlling the game's tempo. From my single viewing of the game sans stat sheet, I was really pleased with his leadership. Plus, when it came time to break Wisconsin's back in the first half, his was the hammer that did it.

Scheyer was a close second for me, largely due to his rebounding and hustle.

Dave

dukemomLA
11-29-2007, 02:05 AM
I vote for everyone. This was a great TEAM effort. I LOVE the way they play together. The chemistry is wonderful, no one seems to care who starts or subs. Again (as I've posted before), this is an extraordinary team to watch and for whom to root! I look forward to their development game by game. AND the 'development' of Coach K to try some new tricks. Such a cool year to be a Duke fan. Kudos to all.

mgtr
11-29-2007, 03:53 AM
You make a real good point. It is exciting to watch this group, and to see how they develop. For example, based on his prior limited play, who knew that Taylor King was going to explode like a firecracker in the EKU game? I expect we will see more surprises like that throughout the year.

sandinmyshoes
11-29-2007, 07:28 AM
I went with Kyle. He kept their interior players honest which allowed the rest of our team some room to operate.