PDA

View Full Version : Tis the season: holiday songs

billybreen
11-27-2007, 07:12 PM
I love this time of year: cold weather, apple cider, time off work spent with the family, and gifts given and received. In honor of the Holidays, I hereby dub 'O Holy Night' my favorite Christmas song. 'Canon in D Minor' is a strong second, and by the transitive property I'll also award some points to Trans-Siberian Orchestra's 'Christmas Canon.'

My observance of Christmas (and now Chrismukkah with my wife) has always been almost entirely secular, but the religious songs are compelling. The 'Fall on your knees' bit in 'O Holy Night' always gets me.

On the secular side, I'll take anything by Robert Goulet, or, for a bit of fun, 'Spotlight on Christmas' by Rufus Wainwright.

As for songs that suck, 'So this is Christmas' can eat it.

hc5duke
11-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Billy Mack - Christmas is All Around (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjl80WFBzY)

might be nsfw, i dunno, there are girls dancing with stripper poles half-way through

wilson
11-27-2007, 08:04 PM
I live my life for Christmas time, and I say that without even a shred of sarcasm/tongue-in-cheek/whatever. I love the joyful, convivial atmosphere, but I also (especially in recent years) derive deep meaning and fulfillment from the season's theology (I'm a more or less weekly churchgoer). Choosing my favorite Christmas anything is so difficult as to be an almost futile gesture, but here goes, in no particular order:

-O Holy Night
-Do You Hear What I Hear?
-Silver Bells
-Holly, Jolly Christmas
-We Need a Little Christmas
-Silent Night (makes me weep in church on Christmas Eve every time)
-Christmas in Dixie
-Christmas in my Hometown

There are more, but that's a decent list. I fully intend to start many of these kinds of threads in the coming weeks. We had a "holiday special" thread a few weeks ago but, as it started before Thanksgiving, it was a violation of Yuletide regulations.

DevilAlumna
11-27-2007, 08:10 PM
I love Christmas time, if only because I no longer feel sheepish about listening to two seasonal albums:

December (http://www.amazon.com/December-George-Winston/dp/B000000NFI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1196211997&sr=1-2)by George Winston

and A Charlie Brown Christmas (http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-Christmas-Vince-Guaraldi/dp/B000ICLSMY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1196212176&sr=1-1)by Vince Guaraldi

captmojo
11-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Favorite tune: Kay Starr-The Man with the Bag (original and still best)

Favorite Album: The Chieftains-The Bells of Dublin

billybreen
11-27-2007, 09:29 PM
A Charlie Brown Christmas (http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-Christmas-Vince-Guaraldi/dp/B000ICLSMY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1196212176&sr=1-1)by Vince Guaraldi

Oh, how could I leave this one off the list? I was raised on "A Charlie Brown Christmas," and we still have a family ritual of watching it together on Christmas Eve.

Speaking of which, this old Onion article (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/31371) is hilarious.

DukieInKansas
11-27-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm on the loving Christmas list also. I love our family Christmas traditions and enjoy learning about other families traditions.

My Christmas music taste runs from Boyz 2 Men to Luciano Pavarotti and everything in between. Hard pressed to name one favorite song, but O Holy Night would be at the top of my list.

Favorite Album - Good News by Kathy Mattea I like every song on it.

Exiled_Devil
11-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Christmas songs are best sung by the crooners - Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, maybe even Harry Connick JR.

Christmas songs should not be remixed or hip-hopped up, unless it is in an ironic way.

ugadevil
11-27-2007, 11:43 PM
I'd go with O Holy Night as my favorite Christmas song, but I've gotten to where the Josh Groban version of it is the only one I listen to.

billybreen
11-27-2007, 11:56 PM
I'd go with O Holy Night as my favorite Christmas song, but I've gotten to where the Josh Groban version of it is the only one I listen to.

Funny, I picked that one up on iTunes a few days ago as it is the most popular rendition currently. Great stuff.

wilson
11-27-2007, 11:57 PM

I've really been diggin on Martina McBride's version the last couple of years too.

billybreen
11-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Christmas songs are best sung by the crooners - Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, maybe even Harry Connick JR.

I'm fine with this list. Some people will try to tell you that Elvis is the Christmas balladeer of choice. Those people should be imprisoned or, failing that, ignored.

wilson
11-28-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm fine with this list. Some people will try to tell you that Elvis is the Christmas balladeer of choice. Those people should be imprisoned or, failing that, ignored.

I understand he's not for everyone, but easy on The King, please?

feldspar
11-28-2007, 12:25 AM
BillyBreen! I didn't take you for the sentimental Christmasy type.

I'm the same way when it comes to the holidays. Without a doubt, Nat King Cole's "Christmas Song" is the best "secular" Christmas song ever. Beautifully sung, and it captures all of the essences of the holiday.

I'll also agree with you that "O Holy Night" is the best "religious" song out there.

snowdenscold
11-28-2007, 12:44 AM
My preferences have changed over the past couple years. I used to like everything, now I pretty am very selective in what I like.

For the secular ones, I pretty much only enjoy Sleigh Ride and Winter Wonderland.

For the religious (which I prefer much more overall), my two favorites are ones that I used to dislike:

O Come O Come Emmanuel (if done well is absolutely beautiful)
Silent Night (love the second and third verses)

O Holy Night and What Child Is This are also good. MercyMe version rocks for the latter.

Lavabe
11-28-2007, 05:36 AM
Getting back to BillyBreen's "songs that suck" request, Amazon has some appropriate Christmas music lists, including works by: John Tesh ("Romantic Christmas"), Dan Fogelberg ("First Christmas Morning"), "Partridge Family Christmas", and 38-Special ("Wild-Eyed Christmas Night"). IMHO, nothing says Christmas better than "Christmas on Death Row.":eek:

Unfortunately, Christmas is the time of year when my wife whips out the Muppets Christmas album with John Denver. I'd rather listen to a Murray Head Christmas (is there such a thing?). Maybe I'll counter with Bootsy Collins' CD: "Christmas is 4 Ever." It has just enough Parliament/Funkadelic. Lots of cameos on this one, including Charlie Daniels on "Sleigh Ride," and Snoop on "Happy Holidaze.":eek:

Cheers,
Lavabe

knights68
11-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Anything with Trans Siberian Orchestra gets my vote!

rthomas
11-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Alvin and the Chipmunks. Christmas, Christmas, time is here, time for fun, time for cheer - sung in a chipmunk voice.

billybreen
11-28-2007, 09:05 AM
BillyBreen! I didn't take you for the sentimental Christmasy type.

I think Vanilla Ice said it best when he said:

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

At least, I think that was Ice.

captmojo
11-28-2007, 11:05 AM
I failed to mention Pork Pig's rendition of Blue Christmas.

JStuart
11-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Regardless of one's favorites, you will probably like the jazz versions contained within this set.
http://shop.npr.org/product/show/28946

Haven't heard the new Mannheim Steamroller Christmas CD, but all the previous ones are excellent,
and both of Harry Connick, Jr.'s Christmas CD's are well-done; my fave being
"What are you doing New Years, New Year's Eve."
Discuss:

wilson
11-28-2007, 12:37 PM
"Do I contradict myself?
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

Not sure if you were kidding, but that was actually some guy named Walt Whitman.

billybreen
11-28-2007, 12:44 PM
"Do I contradict myself?
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

Not sure if you were kidding, but that was actually some guy named Walt Whitman.

I was most definitely kidding, but I do get Whitman and Ice confused from time to time.

wilson
11-28-2007, 01:01 PM
I was most definitely kidding, but I do get Whitman and Ice confused from time to time.

Well, to be fair, Whitman most definitely rocked the mic like a vandal.

billybreen
11-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Well, to be fair, Whitman most definitely rocked the mic like a vandal.

Yes, he was also known to wax a chump like a candle, unlike that deliberately living tool Thoreau.

wilson
11-28-2007, 01:13 PM

Nat King Cole really needs to be on this list, too. I'm pretty sure his voice was composed of actual velvet.

Also, how could I forget "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" as one of my favorite Christmas songs?

billybreen
11-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Nat King Cole really needs to be on this list, too. I'm pretty sure his voice was composed of actual velvet.

Also, how could I forget "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" as one of my favorite Christmas songs?

I think we should add Ray Coniff to this list as well.

billybreen
11-28-2007, 01:30 PM
I've really been diggin on Martina McBride's version the last couple of years too.

I picked this one up on iTunes per your recommendation. Great stuff!

cato
11-28-2007, 02:06 PM
My personal favority is Christmas in Hollis. Carry on.

billybreen
11-28-2007, 02:54 PM
My personal favority is Christmas in Hollis. Carry on.

As seen at the start of Die Hard, IIRC.

blublood
11-28-2007, 03:14 PM
As for songs that suck, 'So this is Christmas' can eat it.

Agreed! Same goes for whatever that awful song is that George Michael sings (hey, what do you know! I've actually been successful in erasing it from my memory this year), the criminally saccharin and stupid "Christmas Shoes", and whatever that song is that Bruce Springsteen sings that goes, "Merry Christmas BAAAAA-BY!" over and over and over again.

"Feliz Navidad" is not really an outstanding Christmas song, but I have fond memories of my dad and me belting it out in the car in horrendous Spanish accents on our way to grandma's.

wilson
11-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Agreed! Same goes for whatever that awful song is that George Michael sings (hey, what do you know! I've actually been successful in erasing it from my memory this year), the criminally saccharin and stupid "Christmas Shoes", and whatever that song is that Bruce Springsteen sings that goes, "Merry Christmas BAAAAA-BY!" over and over and over again.

"Feliz Navidad" is not really an outstanding Christmas song, but I have fond memories of my dad and me belting it out in the car in horrendous Spanish accents on our way to grandma's.

Ditto on that putrid shoes song. "So This Is Christmas" doesn't bother me so much, at least not the John Lennon version...if you really pay attention to the words, it seems like a really poignant wake-up call from Lennon, rather than an attempt to make a fast Yuletide buck.
As for "Feliz Navidad," as self-appointed DBR head elf, I forbid any and all criticism of that song. It is a masterpiece.

billybreen
11-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Ditto on that putrid shoes song. "So This Is Christmas" doesn't bother me so much, at least not the John Lennon version...if you really pay attention to the words, it seems like a really poignant wake-up call from Lennon, rather than an attempt to make a fast Yuletide buck.

This is what bugs me: it's the ultimate Christmas come-down. I'm super liberal and enjoy daily heaping helpings of white guilt, but I shouldn't have to endure post-Beatles Lennon making me feel like crap every holiday season.

wilson
11-28-2007, 03:29 PM
This is what bugs me: it's the ultimate Christmas come-down. I'm super liberal and enjoy daily heaping helpings of white guilt, but I shouldn't have to endure post-Beatles Lennon making me feel like crap every holiday season.

Fair enough, but considering the source, the comedown is at least unsurprising. Not to mention that, from a theological perspective, the song talks about a number of things that should be on our mind at least some at this time of year.

billybreen
11-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Fair enough, but considering the source, the comedown is at least unsurprising. Not to mention that, from a theological perspective, the song talks about a number of things that should be on our mind at least some at this time of year.

Yeah, I guess my resistance there comes back to my secular misappropriation of Christmas.

DukieInKansas
11-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Another of my favorite Christmas songs is the Bing Crosby/David Bowie duet of Little Drummer Boy and Peace on Earth from one of Bing Crosby's Christmas specials. It took me over a decade to finally find a version I could by (pre-internet time).

Here is the YouTube version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKTHvW2JcAA

EarlJam
11-28-2007, 04:43 PM
I have never understood the song "Do they know it's Christmas?"...because, the people they are singing about - the Ethiopians, the Sudanese, the Rwadans - were generally Muslims or animists, and therefore do not celebrate Christmas, so quite honestly, they don't even care that it's Christmas. It's Christmas - big deal.

And if, by chance, some of those folks were Christians, and didn't know when Christmas occurred, then the missionairies had done a very poor job indeed.

-EarlJam

EarlJam
11-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Shared my thought (re: Do They Know it's Christmas?) with a friend. His reply:

And the part that says "Tonight, thank God it's them instead of you..:" Is this an effective prayer? "Dear God, thank you for letting the poor Africans starve to death, instead of me. I had a nice pork chop this evening, with a honey glaze, and the mashed potatoes were delicious. I am grateful that you made the Ethiopians settle for a spoonful of gruel as I enjoyed my banana split for dessert."

Thought it was a good point.

-EarlJam

SouthgateWindsor
11-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Veni Veni Emmanuel
What Child is This
Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree --the Brenda Lee version

and

It Wasn't His Child by Trisha Yearwood puts me in tears every time. The video too, oh man.

cato
11-28-2007, 05:24 PM
I have never understood the song "Do they know it's Christmas?"...because, the people they are singing about - the Ethiopians, the Sudanese, the Rwadans - were generally Muslims or animists, and therefore do not celebrate Christmas, so quite honestly, they don't even care that it's Christmas. It's Christmas - big deal.

And if, by chance, some of those folks were Christians, and didn't know when Christmas occurred, then the missionairies had done a very poor job indeed.

-EarlJam

Lots of Christians in Ethiopia; members of one of the oldest churches in the world. In fact, I believe Christians are in the majority.

DukieInKansas
11-28-2007, 05:25 PM
The first verse and refrain must be sung in Latin. I don't care if everyone around me is singing in English. I will always sing it in Latin. It is amazing what lingers from our youth.

DukeDude
11-28-2007, 05:35 PM

Indeed. Nat King Cole singing "O Holy Night" is the greatest Christmas song in my opinion.

billybreen
11-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Indeed. Nat King Cole singing "O Holy Night" is the greatest Christmas song in my opinion.

Ok, so I've now purchased 3 versions of this song in the past week. Tis the season indeed :)

wilson
11-28-2007, 06:00 PM
The first verse and refrain must be sung in Latin. I don't care if everyone around me is singing in English. I will always sing it in Latin. It is amazing what lingers from our youth.

Yet another reason that Nat King Cole was the MAN.

wilson
11-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Another of my favorite Christmas songs is the Bing Crosby/David Bowie duet of Little Drummer Boy and Peace on Earth from one of Bing Crosby's Christmas specials. It took me over a decade to finally find a version I could by (pre-internet time).

Good call! One of the most creative and unbelievably effective duets ever. The musical portions (and if I'm not mistaken, also the lyrics) of the "Peace on Earth" bit were composed specifically for Bowie and Crosby. Pretty cool.

Master Shake
11-28-2007, 06:05 PM

It's awesome. There was a Craig Kilborne Bob Mould parody of it which is pretty fun.

My favorite Xmas songs (not includind the Bing Bowie classic above):

Christmas in Hollis-- Run DMC
Fairytale in New York-- Pogues with Kirsty Maccoll
All I Want for Xmas is My Daddy-- Buck Owens
Christmas Time is Party Time-- Luke (2 Live Crew)
No Christmas in Kentucky-- Phil Ochs
Mele Kalikimaka-- Bing Crosby
Blue Christmas-- Elvis

The worst Xmas song is "Is That You Santy Claus?" by Buster Poindexter. The video is worse.

wilson
11-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Robert Earl Keen, "Merry Christmas From the Family" is darn good too, especially for those of you seeking an offbeat number.

DukeDude
11-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Ok, so I've now purchased 3 versions of this song in the past week. Tis the season indeed :)

How would you rank the three?

billybreen
11-28-2007, 06:31 PM
How would you rank the three?

Good question. They are all so different, it's difficult. I would probably go Cole, McBride, Groban. Note, that's the reverse order of how they were purchased, so it's certainly possible that freshness is a factor.

fuse
11-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Great thread!

My personal Favorite album is the Kingston Trio's "Last Month of the Year".

Charlie Brown/Vince Guaraldi, Vanessa Williams, Nat King Cole also personal faves.

Bluedawg
11-28-2007, 08:03 PM
There are a lot of serious Christmas songs i love, but these two are just too funny:

Jeff Foxworthys 12 days of Christmas (http://youtube.com/watch?v=suqWNk1vi0o)

Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (http://youtube.com/watch?v=vPaGQEskSKM)

Then this one because it sounds like what really happens at a family celebration:

Merry Christmas From The Family (http://youtube.com/watch?v=F7lHANL9E1g) Montgomery Gentry

wilson
11-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Merry Christmas From The Family (http://youtube.com/watch?v=F7lHANL9E1g) Montgomery Gentry

Dunno what happened with my earlier post, but you need to check out Robert Earl Keen's version. It's his song, and his version is superior (there are several versions floating around during which I'm fairly certain Keen himself was drunk).

billybreen
11-28-2007, 10:03 PM
My personal Favorite album is the Kingston Trio's "Last Month of the Year".

Ooh, I love me some Kingston Trio, but I'm not familiar with this one.

Lavabe
11-28-2007, 10:40 PM
GRANMA is an offensive bit of music. Bring on the Jingle Cats/Dogs!

I am going to offer the one piece of Christmas-hood that will make even Wilson become a Grinch (or at least make him turn green like the Grinch):
http://www.amazon.com/Night-Before-Christmas-David-Hasselhoff/dp/B00064N840/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1196307004&sr=8-1

It's the Hoff!!:eek: :eek:

I mean, the South Park Christmas album is just totally over-the-top. BUT THE HOFF?!?!?!?!?! Wow!

colchar: Is there a Fleetwood Mac Christmas?;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

captmojo
11-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Here's one you should look for. I promise you won't be disappointed with.

Perry Como - "Christmas in Ireland"

I think Como was something like 84 or 85 years old when this was done and he didn't miss a note or beat on anything on it. He mixes a little of his secular hits on this along with holiday favorites. And I Love Her So hits the high sustained notes I wish I could match at only 51 years old. His rendition of Ave Maria will nearly put you to tears.

Lavabe
11-29-2007, 07:54 AM
I still recall an old SCTV skit of Perry Como "Almost Live," singing disco.

Congratulations captmojo on your soon-to-be 1000th post! :)

And to usher in the celebration, here's a link to the German "Stille Nacht":
http://youtube.com/watch?v=moLDvI5UhcM

Norm MacDonald, where are you?;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

billybreen
11-29-2007, 08:19 AM
Norm MacDonald, where are you?;)

Happy birthday, Jesus. Hope you like crap!

Bluedawg
11-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Dunno what happened with my earlier post, but you need to check out Robert Earl Keen's version. It's his song, and his version is superior (there are several versions floating around during which I'm fairly certain Keen himself was drunk).

Robert Earl Keene's Merry Christmas from the Family (http://youtube.com/watch?v=qE4sg1ygTqg&feature=related)

It's good, but I'm just a big MG fan. this is a great "audience song"

Tommac
11-29-2007, 09:42 AM
I like the Trans Siberian Orchestra cd's, especially like the Chicago Christmas cd, any of Michael W Smith Christmas cd's, and my favorite song is O Holy Night as sung by Twila Paris.

PensDevil
11-29-2007, 01:39 PM
My favorite new Christmas song has to be The Christmas Flip-Flop by The Dan Band.

wilson
11-29-2007, 01:45 PM
...my favorite song is O Holy Night as sung by Twila Paris.

Uh oh, more iTunes business from billybreen...

billybreen
11-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Uh oh, more iTunes business from billybreen...

I'm not sure -- I had never heard of her, and the words "contemporary christian" tend to scare me off. Oh, just checked, it's not available on iTunes anyway.

Mal
11-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Lots of great stuff here. I'm more of a classical/choral fan this time of year than most. I tend to prefer somewhat more obscure stuff there, the things the choir sings without the congregation. Like "Lo, How A Rose 'Ere Blooming" (esp. in German), "Once in Royal David's City," "Ding Dong Merrily on High" and "In The Bleak Midwinter." Also "Silent Night" of course (family legend has it that I'm distantly related to Franz Gruber).

Favorite secular tunes of the season:
"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" (preferably including Rolf the Dog on piano)
"Silver Bells"
"The Christmas Song" (prefer Nat to Mel on that one).
Also have a soft spot for the original Crosby "White Christmas."

Also, someone's gotta put in a word for Ella here. Ella Wishes You A Swingin' Christmas is far and away the best secular holiday album ever put together, IMHO. I can't picture driving the car around and picking up a Christmas tree without having it going.

Totally with DevilAlumna on her two recs. Charlie Brown is perfect for decorating the house with the family. I used to make an annual ritual of sitting in a dark room on a December night watching the snow fall outside my parents' house during Winter Break and listening to Winston's December. He's not exactly a virtuoso or a brilliant composer, but the spare atmosphere created on that album is incredibly evocative of a lonely winter night.

Oh, yeah, one more thing. Worst...Christmas...Song...EVER = Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time." One of the worst pieces of recorded sound in the history of the medium. It's made even more abominable by the fact that it was written and recorded by the same man who wrote "Yesterday."

fuse
11-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Kingston Trio- Well, well worth the download. It took me years to find it on CD, you can find it on Amazon sometimes.

billybreen
11-29-2007, 07:21 PM
"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" (preferably including Rolf the Dog on piano)

Yes! I love you.

Bluedawg
11-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Can't believe i forgot Jingle bells! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=GKhJ9IQdWQ8)

wilson
11-30-2007, 09:23 AM

Yes! I love you.

I second that. That's a great version...and sorry Lavabe, but the John Denver/Muppets Christmas album is among my absolute favorites.

Mal
11-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Right on, Wilson! Denver's earnestness and sentimentality can be excruciating the other 11 months of the year, but they fit right in with holiday music.

That this album not only isn't the most annoying thing on the planet, but has actually become a staple in millions of homes, and is cherished by adults, even those without children, is pretty remarkable. I mean, seriously, a record containing "Silent Night" sung by a bunch of people using puppet character voices? It has to be one of the most well thought out and well executed gimmick albums out there to have the sort of staying power it does.

Lavabe
11-30-2007, 01:19 PM

I second that. That's a great version...and sorry Lavabe, but the John Denver/Muppets Christmas album is among my absolute favorites.

I'm more into the Mackenzie Brothers singing about a beer ... in a tree.

Sorry, but the one-month-a-year excused listening to Denver is just not right. I don't give Rick Springfield a one month a year pardon for singing a Christmas album. John Denver is no different, and is easily more irritating...

especially if you have to listen to it OVER and OVER again driving between Atlanta and Raleigh. I say the same about Celine Dion, Michael Bolton, and the Hoff.

On the other hand, if devildeac has an Ol' Crustacean waiting for me in Raleigh, I can listen to nearly anything... except perhaps Woody Durham, Nas, and Billybreen's contemporary Christian music.

Cheers,
Lavabe

merry
11-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Robert Earl Keen, "Merry Christmas From the Family" is darn good too, especially for those of you seeking an offbeat number.

I love that song. Especially the part about the people who came over from Harlingen...

"I can't remember how I'm kin to them"

wilson
11-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Sorry guys, but I'm of the opinion that John Denver is just fine year round. Say what you will about the schmaltz, but he was a damn good songwriter and had a golden voice. Not to mention that he could tell the future (what, with the whole "Leavin' on a Jet Plane" bit...). Lastly, my first concert was John Denver at Chastain Park Amphitheater in Atlanta (still the best damn place around to see a show).

So, in summation, if lovin' John Denver is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Mal
11-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Sorry, but the one-month-a-year excused listening to Denver is just not right. I don't give Rick Springfield a one month a year pardon for singing a Christmas album. John Denver is no different, and is easily more irritating...

Scrooge!!!

The Rick Springfield comparison is just mean (I know you didn't mean it serriously). I'm no Denver fan, but at least he gave us "Rocky Mountain High" and "Country Roads." And as Wilson said, he had a great voice. Waaay back in the day, he helped the Chad Mitchell Trio make some pretty interesting, socially-relevant albums, too. The sum total of Rick Springfield's contribution to our degenerated culture was a cheesy pop song about teenage jealousy and co-habitating with a 15-year-old.

wilson
11-30-2007, 08:31 PM
I am currently watching "John Denver: A Song's Best Friend" on public television with my mother while watching myriad Christmas things sparkle around me and thinking about how wrong so many of you are. I am also, however, feeling a remarkable surge of love for all that is around me.

Lavabe
11-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Scrooge!!!

The Rick Springfield comparison is just mean (I know you didn't mean it serriously). I'm no Denver fan, but at least he gave us "Rocky Mountain High" and "Country Roads." And as Wilson said, he had a great voice. Waaay back in the day, he helped the Chad Mitchell Trio make some pretty interesting, socially-relevant albums, too. The sum total of Rick Springfield's contribution to our degenerated culture was a cheesy pop song about teenage jealousy and co-habitating with a 15-year-old.

No Scrooge ... if you've noticed, I've taken Wilson's role of curmudgeon while he is on leave as "lead elf" (I believe that's what he called himself).;)

Wilson: For the record, the record "Leavin' on a Jet Plane" was NOT sung by Denver, so I like it. I'll give him credit for writing it.

Mal: I'll give Denver credit for giving fodder for a frequent poster's (rthomas'?) signature quote. I'm not sure I'd give Denver credit for the movies with George Burns. I'll give him credit for being environmentally aware.

Sorry, but Denver's voice irritates me normally, but the repeated playing of it (especially in lieu of artists like Vince Guaraldi) grates on me. Agree to disagree. Repeat anything too much and it bothers me. Same with Jingle Bell Rock. It's sort of like Ear Worms (see other thread).:D

The Nutcracker is more my speed. Handel. Die Fledermaus is a good opera for the new year. Put in some jazz...

Cheers,
Lavabe (thread curmudgeon)

Lavabe
11-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Lastly, my first concert was John Denver at Chastain Park Amphitheater in Atlanta (still the best damn place around to see a show).

This has the makings of its own thread.

Best non-Christmas concert venue: Bruce Springsteen at the "Talk of the Town" pub in Hillsdale, NJ.

Christmas venue: Handel's Messiah in Duke Chapel.

[Note: I believe devildeac might argue that the Stones in Wally Wade would be better than the Boss.]
Cheers,
Lavabe

wilson
11-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Wilson: For the record, the record "Leavin' on a Jet Plane" was NOT sung by Denver, so I like it. I'll give him credit for writing it.

Cheers,
Lavabe (thread curmudgeon)

Sorry man, but you're wrong (again ;)). John Denver indeed wrote that song during a layover in the late '60s, but he also most definitely sang it a bunch. Others had pretty famous versions (most notably Peter, Paul and Mary), but that is first and foremost a John Denver song.

DevilAlumna
11-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Does Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas count as a holiday special, or is it Christmas music? I might be on the wrong thread....

Not that it's my favorite music, I'm not even sure they ever show it on TV anymore, but it does put me in the holiday mood.

Lavabe
11-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Sorry man, but you're wrong (again ;)). John Denver indeed wrote that song during a layover in the late '60s, but he also most definitely sang it a bunch. Others had pretty famous versions (most notably Peter, Paul and Mary), but that is first and foremost a John Denver song.

I know he sang it and wrote it, but PPM first made it a hit, a number one single in 1969.

I'll agree that it's a Denver song, in the same sense that "Blinded by the Light" was a Springsteen song.;)

Curmudgeony Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
11-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Thinking about it again, the Denver/Muppet CD isn't in the same class as ...

the Carpenter's Christmas CD. :eek:

Cheers,
Lavabe

05dukie
12-01-2007, 07:54 AM
yesssssssss, I love Emmet Otter!!!!!

My two favourite songs are "O come, O come Emmanuel" and "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"

The Belle and Sebastian version of the former is really cool (from "It's a Cool Cool Christmas album...not on iTunes but song is). From the same album "My Christmas Prayer" by Saint Etienne is great too.

Also, Tracy Chapman singing "Oh Holy Night" (my third fav) is awesome.

merry
12-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Age and parenthood have mellowed me I guess, but I used to really not like the whole "Christmas season" thing and I generally don't like secular Christmas music. Without naming names, suffice it to say I really really really don't like a lot of the stuff along those lines mentioned in this thread.

About 20 years ago I discovered a secular Christmas song that I can really identify with: Blue Xmas by Miles Davis.

Since I now have a soon-to-be teenage son, the past few Christmas's have seen him and my husband conspiring to acquire and play every novelty Christmas CD ever made (well, not really, but it sometimes seems that way), thus my previous concurrence on the Robert Earl Keene song. I can also be railroaded into to listening to things like MacKenzie Brothers, Allan Sherman, "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses, and the Eurythimcs' version of "Winter Wonderland".

Last but not least, I like to annoy the rest of my family by singing "I Want a Hippopotomus for Christmas"

wilson
12-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Thinking about it again, the Denver/Muppet CD isn't in the same class as ...

the Carpenter's Christmas CD. :eek:

Cheers,
Lavabe

No problem, Lav. While I'm fulfilling my seasonal duties as head elf, someone has to step in and fill a curmudgeon's void (though those don't seem to be in short supply at all around here...).
I am currently sitting at my house, wearing red corduroy pants with wreaths embroidered all over them (seriously) and awaiting the arrival of the piece de resistance of my decked halls, the beloved TANNENBAUM! Oh yeah, there's some bit about term papers too.:o

BlueTeuf
12-08-2007, 06:53 AM

O Holy Night is one of the best songs on my personal favorite Christmas album: Aaron Neville's Soulful Christmas

wilson
12-08-2007, 08:39 AM
O Holy Night is one of the best songs on my personal favorite Christmas album: Aaron Neville's Soulful Christmas

That is indeed a good one. His Ave Maria brings tears to my eyes too. That's one song that, if it's not sung by a tenor, I don't want to hear.

DevilWearsPrada
10-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Holiday time is just around the corner.

My all time favorite is O Holy Night.

But I love Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer and Santa Claus is coming to town.

weezie
10-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Blind Boys of Alabama have an absolutely terrific Christmas album from a couple of years ago. Makes the holiday that much more tolerable, especially "When Was Jesus Born."

Reddevil
10-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Two favorites: The Drifters version of White Christmas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooc5eJc5SHA
and the Eagles version of Please Come Home for Christmas.

Two dislikes: That #$@%! Jingle Bells song by Barbra Streisand (j, j, j, jing-jangle....oops I just threw up a little in my mouth!), and anything by Mannheim Steamroller because "real" instruments just sound better.

Wow, this started early.

Greg_Newton
10-20-2010, 06:47 PM
My hands down favorite is Vince Vance and the Valiants' "All I Want For Christmas Is You", in all of it's wonderfully corny and oversung glory!

Reddevil
10-21-2010, 12:35 PM
My hands down favorite is Vince Vance and the Valiants' "All I Want For Christmas Is You", in all of it's wonderfully corny and oversung glory!

Not bad at all. I had to youtube it to make sure it was better than the Mariah and Shania versions. Thank goodness it is!

Greg_Newton
10-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Not bad at all. I had to youtube it to make sure it was better than the Mariah and Shania versions. Thank goodness it is!

Haha, glad you approve. I like to think of it as "Maybe It Was Memphis" gone Christmas...