PDA

View Full Version : Pulling for the Tarheels?

EarlJam
11-27-2007, 10:56 AM
In the ACC/Big-Ten thread, someone posted that this was the one night we Duke fans can pull for the Tar Heels "without reservation."

I, EarlJam, will most certainly NOT be pulling for unc. No way. Was wondering about the sentiments of others on this board, hence, the poll.

-EarlJam

jlear
11-27-2007, 11:01 AM
I respect their program and some of their players, but I cannot imagine any team that I would not pull for over the heels, ever!

Lets go Ohio State!

GTHC GTH!

Karl Beem
11-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Couldn't fess up to it, eh!:mad:

captmojo
11-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Hell no. We won't go!

mph
11-27-2007, 11:10 AM
For personal reasons, I wish bad things for OSU athletics. I'll be pulling for the meteor. If fire doesn't rain from the sky, I'll begrudgingly take OSU.

TillyGalore
11-27-2007, 11:15 AM
No way I'm pulling for the Holes.

Seriously, why would Duke want the Holes to beat OSU?

Troublemaker
11-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Even if the Challenge comes down to who wins that game (possible), I'll be pulling for tOSU. I couldn't care less about the conference. UNC can burn in hell, though.

DukieInKansas
11-27-2007, 11:18 AM
For personal reasons, I wish bad things for OSU athletics. I'll be pulling for the meteor. If fire doesn't rain from the sky, I'll begrudgingly take OSU.

Having grown up with a Michigan alum for a Father, it goes against my upbringing to root for OSU. I can't root for UNC either, so I am rooting for either the meteor (but no injuries) or a tie. :D

Lord Ash
11-27-2007, 11:18 AM
I am all about the ACC, and to be honest if it came down to Carolina winning either winning it for the ACC or Carolina losing losing it for the ACC I would be probably pull for Carolina. Having said that, GTHC! There are NO fans on earth who annoy me more than Carolina fans... whiney little group who complain that we play cupcakes and then copy our schedule the next year, insisting that they play a tough schedule, or insist that they would try to injure one of our players who accidently wacked one of theirs in a game and none of the people ACTUALLY INVOLVED care anymore. Yeah. They can go right to hell.

rthomas
11-27-2007, 11:26 AM
I put "pulling for unc" for the following reasons.

1. At WVU, we have a severe distaste for OSU.
2. Dislike Carolina, too, but would like ACC to win the Challenge again.

While I may want UNC to win this game (and this game only), I won't watch it.

blazindw
11-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Being from Michigan and growing up a Wolverines fan, and having gone to Duke, I hate Ohio State and UNC more than any other team on the face of the earth. I never root for either of them, and I will not root for either of them tonight. I hope they BOTH lose!

freedevil
11-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Never.

Cicero
11-27-2007, 11:51 AM
I reconcile my hatred for UNC and my love for the ACC by hoping that all ACC teams except UNC win their Challenge games. That way the ACC beats the Big Ten like a drum and UNC goes home unhappy, which is the best of both worlds.

Go ACC! Go to hell, Carolina, go the hell!

M. Tullius

camion
11-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Could UNC and THE Ohio State University switch conferences for the night? That way I'd be much less conflicted. :o

jjasper0729
11-27-2007, 12:01 PM
never can pull for the 'holes. one of the reasons i never enter into a tournament pool. I always pick them to lose in the first round.

MrBisonDevil
11-27-2007, 12:10 PM
I was born in Michigan raised in Kentucky & Ohio. I am a Duke grad. Three strong rivalries run in my family, but my allegiances all fall on these lines:

UM > OSU
Duke > UNC
UofL > UK

I respect UNC but I have little respect for OSU. I pull for most ACC teams (Exception is UMd. Reference: 'Boozer bottle incident' at the 'Gone in 54 seconds' game), therefore, I'm pulling for UNC.

SilkyJ
11-27-2007, 12:15 PM
what a REDICKulous question. 9F

EarlJam
11-27-2007, 12:16 PM
I reconcile my hatred for UNC and my love for the ACC by hoping that all ACC teams except UNC win their Challenge games. That way the ACC beats the Big Ten like a drum and UNC goes home unhappy, which is the best of both worlds.

Go ACC! Go to hell, Carolina, go the hell!

M. Tullius

I really like this scenario very much long time.

-EarlJam

Teton Jack
11-27-2007, 12:31 PM
I've said it before; I'll say it again. I'd pull the Russians (Soviet Union in the past) over UNC.

Teton jack

feldspar
11-27-2007, 12:44 PM
I didn't even need to read the context of the original post. Never, ever ever will I root for the Heels.

dukeENG2003
11-27-2007, 01:10 PM
If the Taliban fielded a basketball team, I'd root for them over UNC (sorta like the rooting for the Russians post, but modernized)

Cameron
11-27-2007, 01:16 PM
I vote Hilary before I ever did such a thing. Then I'd have to stop breathing.

elvis14
11-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Um, not just no but hell no! 9F

Seriously, I'm an ACC fan and I want to win this challenge (again) but there is no way in hell I can pull for the TarHoles. We can win this challenge without the Holes.

ugadevil
11-27-2007, 01:38 PM
i hope Carolina plays their best game of the year...and that it's not good enough. Kosta Koufos drops 50 on Hansbrough!

elvis14
11-27-2007, 01:42 PM
i hope Carolina plays their best game of the year...and that it's not good enough. Kosta Koufos drops 50 on Hansbrough!

ugadevil, you misspelled Hansblahblah :D

jimsumner
11-27-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm not even remotely surprised by the numbers but this does say something about the fundamental irrationality of being a fan. In a world ruled solely by rational self interest, every ACC fan would root for every ACC team to win every-single non-conference game. Big RPI bump. Never going to happen.

But would you trade UNC winning every non-conference game and Duke's RPI benefitting enough for Duke to be a #1 seed in the NCAAs for UNC losing five non-conference games, thus dropping Duke to a #3 seed? [for the record, just throwing out numbers to support the basic concept]

In case you're wondering, I'm sure UNC fans would respond in an identical fashion.

I'd like for the ACC to go 11-0 v the Big Ten. Butg that's just me.

EarlJam
11-27-2007, 01:49 PM

I hope Hansblahblah develops silver dollar-sized blisters on the balls of each foot, as well as on his genitalia. Then, I hope, after UNC loses, that he gets stressed out and develops numerous zits on his skin, especially in the area where the nose meets the cheekbone. That crevice. Zits are painful there, as are silver dollar-sized blisters on the genitalia (not that I know...but am assuming). Anyway, yeah, I hope those things happen.

-EarlJam

OZZIE4DUKE
11-27-2007, 02:03 PM
You have to ask?

devil84
11-27-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm not even remotely surprised by the numbers but this does say something about the fundamental irrationality of being a fan.

Fundamentally Irrational, here, checking in.

Rivalries are not rational. I think that's why they're so much fun. :)

Can't root for the Heels. Ever. Besides, I married an OSU fan, so we'll happily pull for the Buckeye (and against the baby blue). But I will root for all other ACC teams to win. Makes everyone in my household happy that way!

- della

hc5duke
11-27-2007, 02:13 PM
I hope Hansblahblah develops silver dollar-sized blisters on the balls of each foot, as well as on his genitalia. Then, I hope, after UNC loses, that he gets stressed out and develops numerous zits on his skin, especially in the area where the nose meets the cheekbone. That crevice. Zits are painful there, as are silver dollar-sized blisters on the genitalia (not that I know...but am assuming). Anyway, yeah, I hope those things happen.

-EarlJam

Physically impossible. This would first require that there is enough room for a silver dollar sized blister on his... never mind I'll keep this PG :D

feldspar
11-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Rivalries are not rational. I think that's why they're so much fun. :)

Perfectly stated.

rsvman
11-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Not only do I want them to lose, but I want them to do it in the most painful way possible.

Can't decide if that would be having them get blown out by 48 points or lose a close one at the buzzer. I guess the buzzer is more painful. Particularly if they had an 18-point lead with, like, 2 minutes to go. And then OSU whittles away at it, but it still looks like UNC will win, until, with 1.5 seconds to go and the TarHeels up by 1, Frogface makes his move to the basket and the phantom foul is called. He goes to the line and makes the first one. The second one, uncharacteristically, bounces off the back rim, and the long rebound is handled by one of the OSU guards, who takes one dribble and hoists a 75-footer that looked like it left his hand too late. It bounces high off the rim, then the backboard, then back to the rim, where it rolls for a second and a half before diving through. The refs wave off the basket and the TarHeels dance in a victory celebration, only to see, on the slow-motion replay, that the the shot left the OSU player's hand 1/100th of a second before the red light on the backboard came on. Thus, the basket is awarded, and OSU wins by one point.

That's what I hope happens.:)

Patrick Yates
11-27-2007, 02:21 PM
The ACC is weak this year. We'll still house the big ten, but only because they are the big 10 and therefore incompetant. We need the powers, UNC, Duke, and Clemson (still not buying NCSU) to win most of, if not all, their non-con games. Otherwise, we might only get 4 (or maybe even 3) teams in the big dance.

A lot of the so called big conferences are down this year. The Pac 10 looks ok, but the Big 12, SEC, ACC, Big 10, and Big East are pretty weak after the top teams. This will be the year when the Media makes a giant to-do about how the mid majors should get more at-large bids/higher seeds. We need UNC to be powerful to help not only our RPI, but that of the rest of the conference (which will further enhance our RPI).

On a "I want them to suffer note" I am really disgusted by you peoples' lack of vision. I want UNC to suffer. Really suffer. Cold-Sweats at night suffer. See it when they close their eyes suffer.

Losing every game would hurt them. Every loss hurts. For UNC to lose to OSU, sure, it would hurt them. But it wouldn't kill them.

In MY ideal world, UNC would only lose 4 games a year. All four to Duke, with the last one comming in FF or NC.

Imagine the unimaginable for a second. Suppose Duke were to lose 4 games to UNC in a single year. Unlikely, but imagine. What if those losses happened in a year like last year, when our final record was approximately 22-8. Well, obviously, we had a down year, and losing all 4 to UNC would not be shocking, because, as such a record indicates, Duke would not be playing to thier own lofty expectations. Heck, the fourth loss would mean an unlikely, deep run in the NCAAs. So there would be some light in darkest night.

Now imagine the pain if Duke went 30-4, with the only team we lost to, ALL SEASON, being UNC. Such as record would indicate that Duke is good. Very Good. And that UNC was simply better. There would be no way to rationalize, or to blame whoever. Duke would have a good to great team that was worse than UNC.

I can think of no worse scenario. I postulate that UNC feels the same. Losing to your rival when you are down is not as bad as losing to them when you are good.

Lets hope for some serious UNC pain. Losing only to Duke would kill them. The players from that squad would be the most vilified UNC players, EVER. That would be fun to watch. Heck, knowing some of these retard Hole fans like I do, it might LITERALLY kill some of them.

Patrick Yates

ArnieMc
11-27-2007, 03:48 PM
I'd pull for the al-Qaeda All Stars over the Eunuchs. (Eunuch is the proper way to pronounce UNC.)

bjornolf
11-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Having grown up with a Michigan alum for a Father, it goes against my upbringing to root for OSU. I can't root for UNC either, so I am rooting for either the meteor (but no injuries) or a tie. :D

I may be WAY off base here, but is it possible that if the meteor for which you so avidly root were to actually put in an appearance, there would be no injuries? Just curious.

It seems inherently oxymoronic to pull for the meteor but to bar the injuries (or disintegrations) that would seemingly inevitibly accompany it. At the very least, it seems that it would eliminate the fun of the disintegrations and mass destruction.

bjornolf
11-27-2007, 03:55 PM
response to the poll is most definitely the first option, for the sake of completeness, shouldn't the poll include the option "depends on whether the game directly affects the outcome of the challenge"?

MChambers
11-27-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm not even remotely surprised by the numbers but this does say something about the fundamental irrationality of being a fan. In a world ruled solely by rational self interest, every ACC fan would root for every ACC team to win every-single non-conference game. Big RPI bump. Never going to happen.

But would you trade UNC winning every non-conference game and Duke's RPI benefitting enough for Duke to be a #1 seed in the NCAAs for UNC losing five non-conference games, thus dropping Duke to a #3 seed? [for the record, just throwing out numbers to support the basic concept]

In case you're wondering, I'm sure UNC fans would respond in an identical fashion.

As I read the responses, I realized that I voted for UNC, based on the Leonard Nimoy sort of thinking, wanting to boost the ACC's RPI and thus Duke's. But if I actually watch the game (not gonna happen), I'm sure I will find myself rooting for Ohio State, even though my wife went to UofM. (Actually, I did, too, for law school, but it never really took until they hired Tommy, and now it's gone again.)

throatybeard
11-27-2007, 04:11 PM
But if I actually watch the game (not gonna happen)

This has been my recent approach to UNC: I try not to watch their games.

EarlJam
11-27-2007, 04:22 PM
response to the poll is most definitely the first option, for the sake of completeness, shouldn't the poll include the option "depends on whether the game directly affects the outcome of the challenge"?

That would fall under the category of "have yet to decide."

-EarlJam

RelativeWays
11-27-2007, 04:34 PM
It wouldn't bother me if they win, I might crack a smile if they lose. I think over the past couple of years I've grown to hate Maryland a little more than UNC

patentgeek
11-27-2007, 04:39 PM
If there was ever a poll question that needed only one reply option . . .

rsvman
11-27-2007, 04:52 PM
On a "I want them to suffer note" I am really disgusted by you peoples' lack of vision. I want UNC to suffer. ......
In MY ideal world, UNC would only lose 4 games a year. All four to Duke, with the last one comming in FF or NC. ....

Lets hope for some serious UNC pain. Losing only to Duke would kill them. ....
Patrick Yates
While I can see where you're coming from and the point you're trying to make, I would like to point out two things:

1) the scenario you postulate would also result in a lot of happiness in Chapel Hell, whereas they were miserable pretty much all year when they went 8-20
2) the scenario you postulate is so incredibly improbable that it's not worth even thinking about, in my opinion. Yes, it could quite possibly produce the worst possible agony. However, it's kind of like saying that winning the multistate lottery would give me a lot of happiness. Neither one of those things is gonna happen.

So, I reiterate: let's hope they hurt NOW, and let's hope they hurt BADLY.

OldPhiKap
11-27-2007, 05:19 PM
While I can see where you're coming from and the point you're trying to make, I would like to point out two things:

1) the scenario you postulate would also result in a lot of happiness in Chapel Hell, whereas they were miserable pretty much all year when they went 8-20
2) the scenario you postulate is so incredibly improbable that it's not worth even thinking about, in my opinion. Yes, it could quite possibly produce the worst possible agony. However, it's kind of like saying that winning the multistate lottery would give me a lot of happiness. Neither one of those things is gonna happen.

So, I reiterate: let's hope they hurt NOW, and let's hope they hurt BADLY.

I prefer that they lose every game. Why take the chance? Plus, the Ram's Clubbers won't like losing to State -- let alone Clemson at home.

DukieInKansas
11-27-2007, 05:27 PM
I may be WAY off base here, but is it possible that if the meteor for which you so avidly root were to actually put in an appearance, there would be no injuries? Just curious.

It seems inherently oxymoronic to pull for the meteor but to bar the injuries (or disintegrations) that would seemingly inevitibly accompany it. At the very least, it seems that it would eliminate the fun of the disintegrations and mass destruction.

Who said we were being rational? I was thinking of the families - just because their delusional children opted to attend UNC and OSU, doesn't mean the families should suffer losing a loved one. No matter how much I dislike either school, I just can't bring myself to wish injury on them.

Can I change my answer to root for the refs and the commercials?

Duvall
11-27-2007, 05:35 PM
There are 26 posters on this board who need to be banned. Well, 25 plus Evans.

devildeac
11-27-2007, 06:03 PM
2 questions:

1. Does any body have a picture of pigs with wings?
2. Does any body have a picture of Hades with icicles?

That is when I will root for unc, nah, it won't even happen then. 9F

Lavabe
11-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Root for the Tarholes?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'd sooner drink Miller Light! ;)
I'd sooner give to the Detective's Benevolent Association phone solicitor.
I'd sooner purchase tickets to see the Falcons in this year's Super Bowl.

GTHC, GTH!!

9F!

Cheers,
Lavabe

wilko
11-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Not only do I want them to lose, but I want them to do it in the most painful way possible.

Ditto.
I root for them to lose everytime they take the floor.
No if ands or buts about it.

I dont subscribe to the theory that we are better when they are stong.
Im all about kicking them when they are down and not letting them up...

metaphorically speaking of course....

captmojo
11-27-2007, 08:05 PM
And isn't it better when they lose a heartbreaker, drop a lead and lose by one or two, as opposed to getting wiped out?

Nah. Lose baby. Just lose.

wilson
11-28-2007, 12:00 AM
The ACC only needs to win 1 of 5 tomorrow to take the "Challenge" again, so even those of you who are really rooting for the conference can safely root against kuralonna.
I think Maryland-Illinois is a pretty intriguing game tomorrow too. Go Illini.

DFS78
11-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Root for Carolina-No Way.I have rooted for them once since 78 and that was against the fab five.GTHC

pamtar
11-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Please forgive me, as I am prepared for the noob harassment - but what does 9F mean?

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-28-2007, 12:04 PM
What is this, Animosity Anonymous!;) In other polls we've gotten to see who voted for whom or what. Can that info be added to the chart? Who, along with me, would pull for the Heels if it added to the luster of the trophy when we win the ACC!
Love, Ima

ikiru36
11-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Please forgive me, as I am prepared for the noob harassment - but what does 9F mean?

Many of us were in your position once, so no need for granting of forgiveness.

FYI- It's an oft cited reference to Throatybeard's DBR Handy Pocket Reference, found here (http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf). Enjoy!

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

dukediv2013
11-28-2007, 12:11 PM
9F!

My intramural basketball team, GTHC, is my answer!

OSU will give Carolina a good game... but will lose because of HANSBLAHBLAH'S WILL! (in the words of Jay Bilas)

jjasper0729
11-28-2007, 12:26 PM
9F!

My intramural basketball team, GTHC, is my answer!

OSU will give Carolina a good game... but will lose because of HANSBLAHBLAH'S WILL! (in the words of Jay Bilas)

according to Jay, he IS the hardest working young man in america

OZZIE4DUKE
11-28-2007, 12:41 PM
I hope Hansblahblah ... develops numerous zits on his skin, especially in the area where the nose meets the cheekbone. That crevice. Zits are painful there

-EarlJam

If Hansblahblah developed those zits, he'd look like Mike O'Koren, permanent captain of the carolina All Ugly team. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
11-28-2007, 12:52 PM

Jim, I think the league would be absolutely thrilled to go 10-1, or since GT lost last night, 9-2 this year. :D

Dukerati
11-28-2007, 02:04 PM
I voted for wanting Carolina to win but yes, I too hate Carolina. I think people are being too shortsighted in their hatred. I want to inflict maximum pain to Carolina like many on this board and I think a loss to Duke when they are undefeated and #1 in the country will hurt a lot more than if they lost to us after losing to Ohio State. Not only that, but it helps us with RPI and seeding too! A win-win in my book.