PDA

View Full Version : Duke "ain't no Georgia Tech"

EarlJam
11-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Heard this on the radio this morning and just wanted to get some thoughts from ya'll. It was a fairly brief segment, but the hosts were talking about how hard it is to recruit for great football players at schools with tough academic standards (namely, GA Tech).

One of the announcers said (paraphrase): "Let's face it, there are players that can get into Duke or UNC that could never get into Georgia Tech, William Avery being just one example."

Without knowing much of the specifics, I would guess that most Duke players could indeed get into Tech. Thoughts?

-EarlJam

Indoor66
11-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Heard this on the radio this morning and just wanted to get some thoughts from ya'll. It was a fairly brief segment, but the hosts were talking about how hard it is to recruit for great football players at schools with tough academic standards (namely, GA Tech).

One of the announcers said (paraphrase): "Let's face it, there are players that can get into Duke or UNC that could never get into Georgia Tech, William Avery being just one example."

Without knowing much of the specifics, I would guess that most Duke players could indeed get into Tech. Thoughts?

-EarlJam

Does it matter what they say and consider the geography of the radio audience.

EarlJam
11-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Does it matter what they say and consider the geography of the radio audience.

Oh, I agree with you. I'm just honestly ignorant as to the academic standards and recruiting (Duke vs. Tech) and was looking for some informative feedback. This is not a flame post.

-EJ

Indoor66
11-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Oh, I agree with you. I'm just honestly ignorant as to the academic standards and recruiting (Duke vs. Tech) and was looking for some informative feedback. This is not a flame post.

-EJ

You never flame, just burn out. :)

EarlJam
11-27-2007, 09:20 AM
You never flame, just burn out. :)

I'd like to burn one right now.

gvtucker
11-27-2007, 09:46 AM

-EarlJam

Duke's academic standards for athletes are tougher overall than Georgia Tech's academic standards for athletes. There's really no question about it.

That said, though, Georgia Tech does have different standards than Duke does, particularly in math requirements, so it is perfectly reasonable to say that there are some athletes at Duke that might not have been able to get into Georgia Tech.

But there are a whole lot more athletes at Georgia Tech that couldn't get into Duke.

Bluedawg
11-27-2007, 09:51 AM

-EarlJam

Ga Tech gets overlooked but in the academic arena they are one of the best. They always rank high in the nation when it comes to technical institutions and their admission standards are nothing to sneeze at, and they can perform at the highest level. Proof of this is that their coach was fired after having no losing seasons and having 11 straight bowl eligible seasons.

This is why I reject the notion that standards have to be lowered to get good players. I was happy when i read today's paper and saw Caulton Tudor's (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/795072.html) comment
The great lie in college football is that you must be allowed to recruit dumb players in order to be decent.

In regards to can Duke players get into tech, it is apples and oranges. tech has one academic focus, technical..while Duke has a much larger base to chose from. I'm not sure it's fair to compare those two. Duke and Wake forest or UNC may be a better comparison.

sandinmyshoes
11-27-2007, 09:56 AM
They once had a player so smart that he scored a basket for the other team. I am drawing a blank on his name, but I do remember that it was against UNC.

But I do agree that there are probably points of emphasis in admissions that might make it more difficult to get a particular player into Georgia Tech compared to Duke. But the opposite is probably true with another player. And it is also possible that no Georgia Tech coach currently has the pull with admissions that Coach K has. Coach K has earned those exceptions by not abusing them.

Duke's football program probably has a tougher time getting admissions than Georgia Tech. We really need to soften that at least a little if we want to win.

jjasper0729
11-27-2007, 09:58 AM
I think it's people not understanding the situation when they talk about having to lower standards to get the football team to be decent. I agree with Tudor's comment (that's rare usually), Bluedawg, and like you, am glad someone finally put it in print.

The difference is that you don't lower the minimum standards (and I'm perfectly okay with that) but you up the amount of support for your team in the academics so that you can take a few more of the people at the lower end of the spectrum but still get them to graduate on time and keep the graduation rates high. THAT is the key thing. It's not so much about the standards to get in. it's more about keeping them in and eligible and graduating.

That's where I think there will be a sea change to a degree in the amount of academic support staff (not only for football but for the rest of the athletic department as a whole) to maintain that high graduation rate, even if you take a few more of the players at the lower end of the spectrum.

77devil
11-27-2007, 10:28 AM
It sure isn't. GT is a state school, and notwithstanding it's engineering orientation, has plenty of students pursuing non technical degrees. Mean SAT scores are over 200 points(3 parts) lower than Duke and percent of student body in top 10% is > 50% compare to over 90% for Duke.

Lavabe
11-27-2007, 12:26 PM
-EarlJam

You heard correctly. Steak, Chris, Cellini, & Bell were discussing it ... and I did a spit take. Don't forget, they also tried talking about Atlanta being so much better than Raleigh. It was a bit of homerism. Steak usually supports K, Bell is anti-K, and Chris is usually somewhere in between (I forget how Cellini usually sides).

They were also trying to play up Petrino going back to college & leave the Falcons. They're just trying to make some noise.

Cheers,
Lavabe

EarlJam
11-27-2007, 12:30 PM
You heard correctly. Steak, Chris, Cellini, & Bell were discussing it ... and I did a spit take. Don't forget, they also tried talking about Atlanta being so much better than Raleigh. It was a bit of homerism. Steak usually supports K, Bell is anti-K, and Chris is usually somewhere in between (I forget how Cellini usually sides).

They were also trying to play up Petrino going back to college & leave the Falcons. They're just trying to make some noise.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Hey Lavabe, want to try to get together for the Davidson game this Saturday at Noon. Lunch and beers? Anyone else?

Frankie's?

-EarlJam

Spencer's Daddy
11-27-2007, 12:47 PM
There was also a caller who claimed to have played at Tech for George O'Leary who said that "everybody at Tech has to take Calculus, but at Duke and Stanford you can major in PE".

wilson
11-27-2007, 12:52 PM
There was also a caller who claimed to have played at Tech for George O'Leary who said that "everybody at Tech has to take Calculus, but at Duke and Stanford you can major in PE".

Apparently this guy took more than one page out of O'Leary's book...these people are all completely deluded.

ugadevil
11-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Ismail Muhammad sure played like a Rhodes Scholar

cowetarock
11-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Apparently this guy took more than one page out of O'Leary's book...these people are all completely deluded.
Let us not forget that this intellectual colossus also has the lowest graduation rates for athletes of all the schools in the ACC.

Bluedog
11-27-2007, 01:55 PM

There are no PE, kinesiology, sports management, nutrition, etc. majors at Duke. So, obviously that caller doesn't know what he's talking about. Also, everybody at Duke does have to take one "quantitative" course....

LetItBD08
11-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Also, everybody at Duke does have to take one "quantitative" course....

It's up to a minimum of two quantitative and two natural science in Trinity.

Bluedog
11-27-2007, 02:41 PM
It's up to a minimum of two quantitative and two natural science in Trinity.

Ah, sorry for that mistake. I was in Pratt so didn't have to worry about those reqs....I took plenty of math courses, though.

LetItBD08
11-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Not a big deal. I think they changed it my freshman year three years ago from 3 total math/science to 2 and 2.

Patrick Yates
11-27-2007, 03:52 PM
1. For a kid that couldn't get into GT, they sure recruited Avery hard. Remember, he was a Georgia native who never even considered his hometown school. Basically, Will had solid test scores but bad grades. He told K he wanted to go to Duke, and K told him to go to Oak Hill and get his house in order. It was a situation where Will lived in a depressed area with a weak education system. Once Will got away from bad influences/bad situation (community, not family), his scholastic performance took off.

2. How the h-e-double hockey sticks can GT claim the academic high ground. They may have to take Calc (even though they all major in Management), but apparantly most of them cheat. Remember the cheating scandal from 2 years ago when a big portion of the Baseball and football teams were ruled ineligible. Apparantly it was systemic (but "unknown" by anyone in the athletic dept), and there was a lot of speculation that it had gone on for years.

So, I think I will continue to occupy the high moral ground in the ACC when it comes to academics.

Patrick Yates

throatybeard
11-27-2007, 03:56 PM
1. For a kid that couldn't get into GT, they sure recruited Avery hard. Remember, he was a Georgia native who never even considered his hometown school.

I wouldn't have considered Augusta State if I were an ACC-caliber recruit either.

RelativeWays
11-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Did they conveniently ignore Lewis Clinch?

Duvall
11-27-2007, 05:37 PM

Stephon Marbury didn't seem to have any trouble getting into Georgia Tech University.

ugadevil
11-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Yeah! Georgia Tech is awful. The only reason they even have the engineering school is because UGA already had everything else! I don't know if that's true at all but that's just what we say here in Athens.

mmmmm...Threads that make fun of Georgia Tech, I love it!