PDA

View Full Version : The big head coaching picture

throatybeard
11-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Tell me if I've left anyone out. I'm going to put these in my own ballpark estimation of where we rank in football job prestige, with a healthy dose of benefit of the doubt. The vacancies are or were:

1) Michigan [hired Rich Rodriguez from WVU]
2) Nebraska [hired Bo Pelini from LSU]
3) Texas A&M [hired Mike Sherman]
4) Arkansas [hire Petrino from the DirtyBirds]
5) UCLA
6) West Virginia
7) Georgia Tech [hired Paul Johnson]
8) Ole Miss [hired Arkansas' sloppy 2nds]
9) Washington State [hired Paul Wolff]
10) Colorado State
11) Southern Miss
12) Baylor [hired Art Briles away from UH]
13) Duke [hired David Cutcliffe]
14) SMU
15) Northern Illinois [hired SIU's coach, I forget his name]

loose former head coaches include (no particular order):

Orgeron
Bower
Morriss
Callahan
Roof
Franchione
Bennett
Gailey
Dorrell

former head coaches who are done:
Carr
Lubick
Novak
Doba

Other schools that may soon be in the mix:
Texas Tech (Leach linked to like 90 jobs)

what am I missing?

RelativeWays
11-26-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm pretty sure Callahan and Franchione will be picked up by someone. I think Callahan was in a pretty crappy situation at Nebraska where it seemed the entire Cornhusker nation turned against him not long after the WF game (and some of the criticism was deserved. Franchione can coach but may have burned some bridges the way he handled the Alabama situation a few years ago.

Also I hope we DO NOT hire Gailey, I don't think its good to hire within the league, regardless of what NC State does.

captmojo
11-26-2007, 07:59 PM
When Carr announced I was afraid it was so Michigan would steal Roof.:rolleyes:

Mike Corey
11-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Duke will not be going after Chan Gailey.

There is only one recently-dismissed coach that is of interest at this time.

MChambers
11-26-2007, 08:32 PM

As a Washington DC resident, let me say that while I respect Marty, and think he got a raw deal with the local pro team, he'd be all wrong for Duke. To elaborate:

1. He was fired in favor of Spurrier (need I say more?).
2. His teams are B-O-R-I-N-G.
3. He's too old for this job.

cspan37421
11-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Just out of curiosity, is it Bennett or Barnett? And speaking of coaches with a perceived cloud over their heads, Neuheisel.

throatybeard
11-26-2007, 09:18 PM

Mike, do us a favor and stick around, you're a great poster.

gotham devil
11-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Reports are that "Ole Miss" is targeting Nutt.

throatybeard
11-26-2007, 10:12 PM
I hear the same about Nutt.

New: Bill Doba is out as Washington State, for reasons I don't understand.

ArkieDukie
11-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Rumor around here is that Nutt and GA Tech are in serious talks, and that Ole Miss is next up if that doesn't work out.

I would think that Franchione is done after the stuff that came out at TX A&M about his nice little newsletter. That, in addition to the way he left Alabama, would make me very hesitant to hire him. But then, I'm not an AD. I guess if Jim Harrick can find someone to hire him, so can Dennis Franchione.

VAGentleman05
11-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Rumor around here is that Nutt and GA Tech are in serious talks, and that Ole Miss is next up if that doesn't work out.

Yep--I'll actually be fairly surprised if Nutt doesn't end up at GT.

blazindw
11-26-2007, 11:05 PM

Mike, do us a favor and stick around, you're a great poster.

I concur, Mike. Your insight is valuable.

throatybeard
11-27-2007, 08:24 AM
I really don't understand OM's thinking with Nutt, and maybe not GT's. The SEC schools are in fierce competition with each other and always comparing themselves to each other. If OM hires Nutt, they're basically admitting that a guy who wasn't good enough for Arkansas is good enough for them.

GT doesn't have to think about SEC schools other than Georgia that much, but it seems like Jimbo Fisher or Paul Johnson would be a better idea than Nutt.

Bluedawg
11-27-2007, 08:38 AM

Unless i missed something the obvious question here is WHO?

Bluedawg
11-27-2007, 09:45 AM
It's nice to hear someone else say this (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/795072.html)...

The point is that Duke can have -- should have -- a solid coach and do it without being forced to sacrifice its admissions standards or pay $3 million per year. The great lie in college football is that you must be allowed to recruit dumb players in order to be decent. Jim Grobe at Wake Forest and Paul Johnson at Navy are proof to the contrary.

dukerev
11-27-2007, 09:57 AM
No telling what will actually happen, but the Memphis Commercial-Appeal is reporting that the Ole Miss job is Nutt's to turn down.

dukerev
11-27-2007, 10:24 AM
The World-wide Leader is now reporting that Nutt is the new Ole Miss coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3129559

tbyers11
11-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Thought that I would post a link to an ESPN page (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=07coachingchanges) where they have made a chart like Throaty's in the first post, but with pretty graphics and stuff. This should make the coaching carousel easier to follow and save someone the task of updating the chart as events unfold.

merry
11-27-2007, 03:51 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about Pete Gillen.

allenmurray
11-27-2007, 04:04 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about Pete Gillen.

Great job Merry - you beat me to it! My son and I used to refer to him as the human bobble-head ball (with affection of course, I really like Gillen).

JasonEvans
11-27-2007, 05:44 PM
http://www.virginia.edu/insideuva/2005/05/images/Gillen_Pete.jpg

ugadevil
11-27-2007, 06:02 PM
I really don't understand OM's thinking with Nutt, and maybe not GT's. The SEC schools are in fierce competition with each other and always comparing themselves to each other. If OM hires Nutt, they're basically admitting that a guy who wasn't good enough for Arkansas is good enough for them.

GT doesn't have to think about SEC schools other than Georgia that much, but it seems like Jimbo Fisher or Paul Johnson would be a better idea than Nutt.

I could be wrong but I thought Arkansas offered Nutt an extension, but he was the one that declined? Maybe he just got tired of hearing how he was on the "hot seat" every season.

I've heard that Ga. Tech is seriously looking at Paul Johnson. I wonder what the plan is for John Tenuta?

Mike Corey
11-27-2007, 06:12 PM
http://www.virginia.edu/insideuva/2005/05/images/Gillen_Pete.jpg

Look at the size of that boy's heed. It's like an orange on a toothpick. That's a huge noggin. That's a virtual planetoid. Has it's own weather system.

I crossed the line, didn't I. He's going to cry himself to sleep tonight on his gigantic pillow.

(Hat tip: Mike Myers)

captmojo
11-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Boy! Heead! Neow!

Zeke
11-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Duke has been a revolving door for coaches. You come in, you win a few games, you lose a lot more, you get fired after 4 yrs (or less). Does your resume' benefit by this - I think not.
What coach would want to take a bunch of bright kids with good but not great football talents and play Florida State, Miami, Va.Tech, Boston College, Clemson, N C State, UNC. Va on a regular basis. Yes, some of these teams may go up and down but you're probably not going to win many games unless the university gives you some support - read allows marginally academically acceptable players to enter on scholarships. The other alternative is to switch to another conference.
What Duke will likely get is an assistant coach from somewhere who is so dying to be a head coach that he will give it a shot. If Duke drops out of the ACC, then football could be fun again.

Troublemaker
11-27-2007, 08:32 PM
As a Washington DC resident, let me say that while I respect Marty, and think he got a raw deal with the local pro team, he'd be all wrong for Duke. To elaborate:

1. He was fired in favor of Spurrier (need I say more?).
2. His teams are B-O-R-I-N-G.
3. He's too old for this job.

Really? His name would bring instant respectability to the Duke program, and while he's not some 20-year long-term solution, Duke obviously just needs someone to get the wheels turning in the right direction. What better choice than the man who was King of Rebuilding Jobs in the pros?

Not that I think there's much more than a snowball's chance in heck of this happening.

throatybeard
11-29-2007, 04:49 PM
The Paul Johnson-to-SMU noise is getting louder.

Maybe I should move us down and SMU up on my original list...

B-well
11-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Steve Logan
Carl Franks

Bluedawg
11-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Steve Spurrier came in and won an ACC championship in 3 yeas. Now everybody thinks a coach should be able to do it in 3 years. Spurrier has ruined it for other coaches.

First, it was basically a lightening strike that he did it so quickly and the odds are very bad that it could happen twice.

Second, coaches need more than the Duke average of 4.5 years to accomplish anything. People at Duke need to show more patience.

Third, I'm afraid the next coach is doomed because since TR promised a bowl eligible team in 08 the new coach will be expected to put them in a bowl.

blazindw
11-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Yesterday on Around the Horn and Pardon The Interruption, they talked about Spurrier being on campus and the thoughts about him being a candidate for the job. The mood was generally that it was a nice chance that Spurrier would come back. I believe Wilbon put the odds at 49% that he would take it. Now, take it how you will, but if they all think that there's at least a decent chance that Spurrier is considering the job, I feel that is a good sign for fans of the Ol' Ball Coach returning to the Gothic Wonderland.

Duvall
11-30-2007, 10:54 AM

Probably. The advantages of being able to draw heavily from the Texas talent pool probably outweigh the advantages of being in a BCS conference.

Devilsfan
11-30-2007, 11:08 AM
How about a retrial.

jjasper0729
11-30-2007, 11:14 AM

according to the rumors, the navy spokesman says noone has asked permission to speak to johnson. this would include (in the noone column) Ga. Tech and SMU. I guess it's feelers doing informal reaching out a-la NCSU to everyone under the sun before they hired Lowe.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/28851

throatybeard
12-01-2007, 01:02 PM
ESPN says Pelini is going to NU and Miles is going to Michigan.

grossbus
12-01-2007, 02:16 PM
espn now saying lsu AD is saying miles is staying (reached agreement which is unsigned).

365Duke
12-01-2007, 04:28 PM
espn now saying lsu AD is saying miles is staying (reached agreement which is unsigned).

Miles said it himself (to Tracy Woofson) @2:15 on CBS, after a short presser @ 1:45 on tv

throatybeard
12-02-2007, 06:39 PM
I have heard recently deposed Colorado State coach Sonny Lubick may not be done coaching and he could be an assistant at Arizona State next year with son Matt on Dennis Erickson's staff.

This from the SN dude's column.

Also, Edsall's diss of GT seems to place Johnson more in their cross hairs (and not ours) according to some speculators.

Bluedawg
12-02-2007, 08:07 PM
This from the SN dude's column.

Also, Edsall's diss of GT seems to place Johnson more in their cross hairs (and not ours) according to some speculators.

Maybe PJ After all (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=68962&postcount=215)...or not? the WRAL.com article claims to have inside information.

cbfx3
12-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Maybe PJ After all (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=68962&postcount=215)...or not? the WRAL.com article claims to have inside information.

I was about to say the same thing. Of all the names i have seen come up I think PJ would be the best fit

rockymtn devil
12-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Miles said it himself (to Tracy Woofson) @2:15 on CBS, after a short presser @ 1:45 on tv

I'll believe it when I see it. I get the sense that the "Miles to Michigan" story that broke yesterday morning came from someone in the Miles Camp. That the New Orleans Times-Picayune reported today that the Michigan offer was "insulting" ups those suspicions. It sounds like the two were in serious talks and Miles's agent leaked the story in order to put some pressure on LSU. It seems to have worked somewhat, but there still isn't a contract signed. If we get to Christmas and Miles hasn't signed and Michigan hasn't hired a coach, my money's on Les making the move.

blazindw
12-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Also, ESPN reporting that Karl Dorrell is on his way out at UCLA

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3138961

Bluedawg
12-03-2007, 10:39 AM
I was about to say the same thing. Of all the names i have seen come up I think PJ would be the best fit

My only concern over PJ is he is in love with the option. IMO that is the easiest offense to defense. The problem is people don't take the time to study it.

Mike Corey
12-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Johnson is in love with all offenses, not just the option. Consider his body of work at Hawaii and Georgia Southern.

He fits the system to his personnel, and does so with great success.

He'd be a fantastic fit at Duke.

Bluedawg
12-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Johnson is in love with all offenses, not just the option. Consider his body of work at Hawaii and Georgia Southern.

I hope so since everything seems to be pointing in his direction.

Clipsfan
12-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Also, ESPN reporting that Karl Dorrell is on his way out at UCLA

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3138961

That's official at this point and a good thing. Now the question will be who steps in there (someone who is an offensive guru).

Bluedawg
12-03-2007, 05:46 PM

Answer me this...everyone says that he is a good 'fit'. I'm not looking for a coach who will be .500 or better. What I want is a coach who:

Will challenge for the ACC championship;
Will put Duke in a bowl game year after year;
Will have the team ranked in the top 20.

Now don't say that this is not possible at Duke because I don't buy it. It can happen at Duke with the right coach. Steve Logan would be that coach. Chris Hatcher would be that coach. By "fantastic fit" are you saying that Paul Johnson would be that coach?

ArkieDukie
12-05-2007, 11:28 PM
... and it's Jim Grobe. I think this is a great hire, but the local boards are in an uproar because of his win-loss record. I would argue that he's done a great job at a school that doesn't have the facilities/resources that Arkansas has. Thoughts?

mbd1mbd1
12-06-2007, 09:07 AM
I like him for Arkansas too. (I am from Little Rock). I think Wake is a tougher job than Vandy, although the SEC is a much tougher conference overall. Most Arkansas fans just aren't familiar enough with the ACC to know the degree of difficulty involved at Wake.

throatybeard
12-06-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm really disappointed about this. I kind of root for WFU as our sister school in FB. I hope the next guy is able to capitalize on what Grobe has built.

pratt '04
12-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Grobe had a change of heart and will stay at Wake Forest. This is being reported on scout.com now.

Bluedawg
12-06-2007, 11:21 AM
could anyone with a premium membership at TDD please give a review of this article.

The Duke Coaching Carousel (http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=705658&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f705 658.html)

Those of us without premium memberships can't access any of it.

RPS
12-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Grobe had a change of heart and will stay at Wake Forest. This is being reported on scout.com now.Ron Wellman is clearly a great AD. He got Grobe to stay despite the money, facilities and "opportunity" (read much less restrictive academics) available in the Ozarks. I'd be very pleased were JA to learn from him....

diablesseblu
12-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Ron Wellman is clearly a great AD. He got Grobe to stay despite the money, facilities and "opportunity" (read much less restrictive academics) available in the Ozarks. I'd be very pleased were JA to learn from him....

Agree. Have lost thought Wellman was the best "bang for the buck" AD in the country. He's obviously passionate abot Wake and can really close the deal.

He showed me a lot when he passed up the Tenn. AD job to stay in W-S.

Wish I thought JA could learn to be more like RW.

Jarhead
12-06-2007, 12:32 PM
According to this forum's index list there is a post by diablesseblu at 12:07 PM today. I do not see it in the thread. Am I not allowed to read it if it exists.

Indoor66
12-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Ron Wellman is clearly a great AD. He got Grobe to stay despite the money, facilities and "opportunity" (read much less restrictive academics) available in the Ozarks. I'd be very pleased were JA to learn from him....

Is it possible that Jim Grobe made the decision for himself, without Wellman's participation? Why do you presume that Wellman was instrumental in the decision?

RPS
12-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Is it possible that Jim Grobe made the decision for himself, without Wellman's participation? Why do you presume that Wellman was instrumental in the decision?News reports (e.g., here (http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ/MGArticle/WSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173353759535&path=&s=)) of a long conversation into the night last night between them and word out of W-S that one result of the meeting and his staying is that his staff is getting more money.

6th Man
12-06-2007, 01:46 PM
I know for a fact that Coach Grobe really likes Ron Wellman and has talked about how important it is to get along with your AD. I suspect he would make a decision based on what was best for he and his family, but I know it doesn't hurt at all that he has tremendous respect for Wellman.

Jarhead
12-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Anybody having a problem reading this thread? In the forum index, I have noticed several several new posts shown in the new posts column including one of my own. They do not appear when I click on them. Hope I'm not missing something important. I have never noticed this problem before. This post is as a reply to throaty's opening post in this thread.

-jk
12-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Anybody having a problem reading this thread? In the forum index, I have noticed several several new posts shown in the new posts column including one of my own. They do not appear when I click on them. Hope I'm not missing something important. I have never noticed this problem before. This post is as a reply to throaty's opening post in this thread.

I just PM'd you. If anyone else is having trouble, please PM me.

thanks,

-jk

SoCalDukeFan
12-06-2007, 02:16 PM
So it is possible for a smaller ACC school without a great football tradition to keep a successful coach! Should be Duke's goal with the next hire.

SoCal

Bluedawg
12-06-2007, 02:16 PM

forum index???

YmoBeThere
12-06-2007, 07:42 PM
The big head coaching picture

The Big Giant Head ended up being William Shatner...couldn't we get him?

throatybeard
12-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Washington State just hired Eastern Washington's coach, Paul Wulff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3149564

hondoheel
12-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Great job Merry - you beat me to it! My son and I used to refer to him as the human bobble-head ball (with affection of course, I really like Gillen).

I was thinking Steve Lavin.

rockymtn devil
12-11-2007, 11:22 AM
According to the Detroit Free Press, the Les Miles-Michigan talks are back on. This guy looks so slimy right now. No one would've cursed him for leaving LSU for Michigan two weeks ago given his ties to the Wolverines. But now, after the Herbstreit leak (that likely came from the Miles camp), the press conference, and the extension with LSU, it appears that Miles has been staging all of this and playing Michigan, LSU, and ESPN.

blazindw
12-11-2007, 01:17 PM
According to the Detroit Free Press, the Les Miles-Michigan talks are back on. This guy looks so slimy right now. No one would've cursed him for leaving LSU for Michigan two weeks ago given his ties to the Wolverines. But now, after the Herbstreit leak (that likely came from the Miles camp), the press conference, and the extension with LSU, it appears that Miles has been staging all of this and playing Michigan, LSU, and ESPN.

Yeah, a whole bunch of flags went up when the terms of his "new contract" extension came out...it's the exact same contract he had before, but just a few years longer. $2.6m/yr if he loses the BCS title game, $3.4m/yr if he wins, same $1.25m buyout for going to Michigan. It seems like the Miles-Michigan dance was just taking an intermission...get ready for Act II.

pamtar
12-11-2007, 06:14 PM
...says this here website...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3150783

pratt '04
12-11-2007, 06:15 PM
ESPN is reporting Bobby Petrino to Arkansas:

Lavabe
12-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Cross another one off Duke's list.:rolleyes:
Cheers,
Lavabe

throatybeard
12-11-2007, 06:57 PM
That's one smart golden-parachute-takin man right there.

crote
12-11-2007, 07:08 PM

The upshot of this for Duke is that the guy who was previously considered the front runner for the job, Auburn DC Will Muschamp, is still on the table. He's so anxious for a HC job, he might bite if Duke were to offer him (I've heard him mentioned in connection with Southern Miss; surely we're more attractive than them?). As a Hog fan I was more than satisfied with the prospect of him leading Arkansas. Muschamp at Duke, though? I'd be ecstatic.

Of course, if the Dorrell rumors are true, it would seem Duke is committed to pursuing horrible, no good, very bad candidates, which would seem to rule Muschamp out.

freedevil
12-11-2007, 07:51 PM
When will the next coach in the mold of Saban/Petrino/Spurriers of the world realize the NFL is just not for them? I don't really care that they subject themselves to getting destroyed in that league, it's their right, but I really just hate having ESPN go on and on and on about them making the jump. Please, next coach in that mold, just don't do it so I can have my 6:00 sportscenter in peace.

ArkieDukie
12-11-2007, 07:52 PM

I first heard the big news on one of the local sports talk shows on my way home from work. Checked with a second to make sure it was true. The local fans seem universally happy with the hire. After the Jim Grobe fiasco, I want to see the press conference where the announcement is made before I really get excited. Oh, wait; Dana Altman had a press conference!

ArkieDukie
12-11-2007, 09:36 PM
The upshot of this for Duke is that the guy who was previously considered the front runner for the job, Auburn DC Will Muschamp, is still on the table. He's so anxious for a HC job, he might bite if Duke were to offer him (I've heard him mentioned in connection with Southern Miss; surely we're more attractive than them?). As a Hog fan I was more than satisfied with the prospect of him leading Arkansas. Muschamp at Duke, though? I'd be ecstatic.

Of course, if the Dorrell rumors are true, it would seem Duke is committed to pursuing horrible, no good, very bad candidates, which would seem to rule Muschamp out.

Southern Miss has reportedly decided to go with Ok State OC Larry Fedora, which means that Muschamp is still on the market. I don't know much about him, but Hog fans in the know were talking of him in reverent tones when his name was associated with our vacancy. Crote, what's the scoop?

ugadevil
12-11-2007, 09:50 PM

I'd consider Southern Miss. to be a relatively good job. Their program has certainly had more success than Duke over the past 15 years.

Muschamp knows his stuff. He's got a fiery personality and his players seem to love him. I find it difficult to pull for him since he's a UGA guy who is now at Auburn, but I know that if Georgia ever lost Mark Richt...Muschamp would be at the top of a lot of people's lists to come replace Richt.

Bluedawg
12-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Vanderbilt Football Head Coach Bobby Johnson (http://vucommodores.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121107aaa.html)has withdrawn his name from consideration for the head coaching vacancy at Duke, Vanderbilt officials announced today.

So we move on.

ArkieDukie
12-11-2007, 09:59 PM
reportedly to announce that Bobby Petrino will be the new head football coach. Looks like it's really happening.

crote
12-12-2007, 04:37 AM
Southern Miss has reportedly decided to go with Ok State OC Larry Fedora, which means that Muschamp is still on the market. I don't know much about him, but Hog fans in the know were talking of him in reverent tones when his name was associated with our vacancy. Crote, what's the scoop?

You probably know as much as I do. All I know about Muschamp is:

1. He coached an Auburn D that managed to absolutely shut down the same Darren McFadden who ran for 321 against South Carolina (granted this was before HDN realized "Hey, that misdirection stuff Gus was calling last year actually worked purty good").

2. He was captured uttering a very funny, very NSFW outburst after his D forced a three and out, which would likely lend itself to a fun nickname: http://youtube.com/watch?v=yyeby6qHlDA

3. He really, really, really wants to be a HC somewhere, maybe enough to take the Duke job. Of course, at this point we seem to be more interested in inept, failed former head coaches from major programs than smart, promising coordinators, so when we're talking about Muschamp at Duke we might as well be writing fanfic.

I don't know if you read EDSBS.com (as every college football fan should), but their initial reaction to the Arkansas-Muschamp union that never was was: "this is potentially a really, really good hire." For whatever that's worth.

I would have been more than happy with him at the U of A. More so than Bowden. Or Dorrell.

ArkieDukie
12-12-2007, 06:43 AM
You probably know as much as I do. All I know about Muschamp is:

1. He coached an Auburn D that managed to absolutely shut down the same Darren McFadden who ran for 321 against South Carolina (granted this was before HDN realized "Hey, that misdirection stuff Gus was calling last year actually worked purty good").

BWAHAHAHA! Good thing I wasn't drinking a cup of coffee when I read that last sentence. (As an aside, is "misdirection" in HDN's vocabulary? That's a purty big word.) And, speaking of Malzahn, I'm amazed that someone out there hasn't interviewed him for a head coaching job. OC of the Yr last year in his first year as an assistant at the collegiate level, nation-leading offense this year. He's a frakkin' genius.

Wasn't McFadden playing injured against Auburn? Somewhere in that time frame he was playing with bruised ribs because *someone* sent him up the middle every stinkin' play. It didn't take a Magic 8 Ball to see what play was coming; it's no wonder he didn't get any yardage. In fact, in the post-game presser, the person making those calls said, "You have to call that play. You just know that one of these times he's going to bust loose for a big gain." Or something to that effect. (Maybe that strategy doesn't work so well if it's the only play you call.) He then went on to say that he was going to "let" the OC open up the offense a bit more the following week (against Ole Miss, whom we slaughtered with the wide-open offense). To quote the prophet Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon." He single-handedly cost D-Mac the Heisman.

throatybeard
12-15-2007, 01:36 AM
Please tell me RR isn't leaving West Virginia for Michigan.