PDA

View Full Version : Seeding Prediction

mr. synellinden
03-09-2007, 03:06 PM
You just know that we are going to be a #7 seed and Texas Tech is going to be our #10 seed.

I mean, the tourney committee isn't going to pass up that chance, are they?

vango
03-09-2007, 03:28 PM
.....or 8/9 with that taking place. They say they don't do that but I've seen way too many "coincidences" that gave a hum-drum game a kick.

Either it was matching players, matching coaches, or putting a team in a hostile environment (Duke playing in Kentucky a few years back for instance).

kjo3444
03-09-2007, 03:30 PM
I say 6. SOS and RPI are too high to drop to a 7.

Dar95
03-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Half of me thinks 6 seed, half thinks 8, so I'm going to split the difference and guess 7, but it could be anywhere in that range, depending on what happens to the teams that are "around" us over the rest of the weekend (in that regard, I'm rooting for Miami at the moment - I think we will be seeded ahead of BC if they lose, which could be advantageous given the # of ACC teams in the 5-8 seed range).

We may well get Texas Tech, but if so it won't be due to any "coincidences" - when you go through the committee's bracketing procedures, it is almost impossible to manufacture matchups like that (plus, with us, there are so many of them - say we are an 8 and the 9s are Kentucky, Arizona, Texas Tech, and Ga Tech. We can't face Ga Tech, and any of the others would have a "story" to them).

jacone21
03-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Well you can be sure that unless it's a 16 seed, someone's going to write an article that claims the seed is too high.

Or maybe I just have a persecution complex.:confused:

oregon98er
03-09-2007, 07:26 PM
We were a 9 in '96 when we were 18-13 right? The record seems to tell us that we should be a 7 or 8. There is no difference between an 8 and 9 really, so I'd guess 7 too. But I've heard discussion that we OUGHT to be a double-digit seed...that has to mean 10. No way we're barely out of the top 25 and a #11 seed. We could get Gonzaga in a 7-10 matchup. But the TT thing is interesting too...ESPN has Arizona & Syracuse & TT & Indiana as 10 seeds. Wow! Duke/Arizona in the first round?

Based on the #1 and #2 projections, I might rather play a #1 seed...they seem more vulerable than the #2s. Does anybody want Georgetown, UNC, Wisconsin, or Texas A&M with what each of those brings to the table? Not me...I'd rather take my chances with UCLA...

dukie8
03-09-2007, 08:46 PM
We were a 9 in '96 when we were 18-13 right? The record seems to tell us that we should be a 7 or 8. There is no difference between an 8 and 9 really, so I'd guess 7 too. But I've heard discussion that we OUGHT to be a double-digit seed...that has to mean 10. No way we're barely out of the top 25 and a #11 seed. We could get Gonzaga in a 7-10 matchup. But the TT thing is interesting too...ESPN has Arizona & Syracuse & TT & Indiana as 10 seeds. Wow! Duke/Arizona in the first round?

Based on the #1 and #2 projections, I might rather play a #1 seed...they seem more vulerable than the #2s. Does anybody want Georgetown, UNC, Wisconsin, or Texas A&M with what each of those brings to the table? Not me...I'd rather take my chances with UCLA...

i think you guys are getting way ahead of yourselves in looking at whether a 1 or 2 is better or which 1 is the best -- we just lost to the 10 seed in the acc tournament. a better question is which 7-10 seed would we match up well against in the FIRST round. i'd like to get one of the meddling big east teams. the big east has seemed over-rated all year long and i think that we could take out a notre dame, syracuse or villanova and then worry about the next round.

Bob Green
03-09-2007, 08:57 PM
we are getting ahead of ourselves. Let's wait and found out what our seed is and then discuss match-ups. We have to win our first game first. I wouldn't be excited about playing Villanova and Scotty Reynolds, but I agree the Big East is overrated.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

MattyB.
03-09-2007, 09:47 PM
we are getting ahead of ourselves. Let's wait and found out what our seed is and then discuss match-ups. We have to win our first game first. I wouldn't be excited about playing Villanova and Scotty Reynolds, but I agree the Big East is overrated.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan
very true, but i'm with Mr. S on the Duke-TT first round. Whether it's 8v9, 7v10 or even 6v11. If one assumes - for arguments sake - that we're roughly a 7 (which i think is fair - i of course think we're better, but i think a 7 is likely), then the Committee has the discretion to slide us one seed either way, from a 6 to an 8, in order to place us equitably into the bracket. Thus, with TT presumably being somewhere around a 10 or 11, they could slide anywhere from a 9 thru 12. So, it's not all that hard to "manufacture" a game the Committee (and TV) would want to see - at least if the seeds are in the right ballpark. I work for the government, and yes, i'm a conspiracy theorist. ;-)

See the bracketing proceedures here: http://www.ncaasports.com/basketball/mens/story/9183455

Buckeye Devil
03-09-2007, 09:57 PM
The best Jay could say was 7, 8, or 9. 9 sounds too low but then again Duke is stumbling into the tournament. I think it will be a 7 because there are a lot of quality wins in and out of the ACC. As for TX Tech, I think it is a great possibility and would be the matchup of the first round.