PDA

View Full Version : McBob not ready fro pros

coot
03-09-2007, 02:41 PM
McBob has so much work to do before going pro. Even if he wants to go pro, it would be risky for him to do so. Does anybody remember that Carlos Boozer was not drafted until the 2nd round. 2nd round draftees do not get a guaranteed contract. Now, Boozer obviously was able to prove himself and make a team. Josh would be taking the risk of missing the NBA altogether, or possibly sitting the bench for 3 years to end up going overseas. It would be better for Josh to focus on developing. Shelden Williams developed into a great player by his senior year. Josh could do the same if he just keeps his eyes off of the NBA.

coot

Clipsfan
03-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Whether or not Josh is ready for the pros, and I'm not trying to get into that discussion, I don't think that he will declare unless he has some sort of promise that he'll be picked.

bhd28
03-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Man... I really wish I was able to translate how good a 20yr old college soph would translate into the pros. Other than the obvious top 3-4 guys per class, I miss as often as I hit on that. If I was able to predict that kind of thing with 90+% accuracy, then I am sure I would be making more $$ than I am now as a head scout of a championship level NBA team. If someone here on the board is has this kind of knowledge/talent... would you mind if I do an internship with you? Thanks in advance.

wilko
03-09-2007, 03:33 PM
I like Josh.
He adds alot to this team and to Duke. There are times I cant help but wonder if he has fully recovered from his back Surgery.

Now Im sure the Med. and Coaching staff wouldnt have cleared him if they thought there was danger.... but still I cant help but wonder about the psychological asepects of the injury and conditioning.

There were times where he looked completely winded.... not sure if that was him working his butt off or something lingering. Maybe both... Maybe Im seeing things..

There were times where he looked tenative to take over and deliever the goods down low. Is that something floating around in his head ..not sure.

Perhaps another year will tell. I think that he and Scheyer (his mom is hot!) would benefit GREATLY from the patented JJ workout regiment over the summer. Zoubek needs the Jay Bilas "add mass" plan dusted off.

For good or ill, I see Josh as a Toni Kukoc type. At least in terms of this team right now. Trouble is we dont have a Jordan or even a Pippen for him to play off of and contribute his unique gifts in the best light. Hes forced to be "the guy"... and as of today... hes not the guy. He may well become the guy, this year or in a few games... who knows .... but as of today. He aint the guy.

So what. That doesnt mean he a failure or a bust. He has room to improve (as do we all in many aspects of our lives outside of BBall) on some things.

Josh adds alot and is a strong asset. He'll learn and grow.
Dont despair Duke fans. We'll be back the future is bright!

Matches
03-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Being ready for the NBA has very little to do with who actually declares for the NBA Draft. It's very clear that McR is not ready to contribute to an NBA team. But as long as the league drafts based on "upside", his stock will remain high.

DukeDevilDeb
03-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Josh is in serious pain in his back much of the time. It is hard for a 20 year old to turnt that off, to cope with that burden.

Kewlswim
03-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Josh is in serious pain in his back much of the time. It is hard for a 20 year old to turnt that off, to cope with that burden.

Hi,

Thank you for posting about Josh's pain. I think there is a lot going on that we as fans don't know about. I am a BIG Josh fan. I think that a summer of working on stuff, including how he often looks a bit pouty at times, would do wonders for his game and the teams.

GO DUKE!

mapei
03-09-2007, 05:48 PM
>Josh is in serious pain in his back much of the time.

How do you know that, Deb? I'm not challenging, just curious.

dukestheheat
03-09-2007, 06:25 PM
I think Josh is ready for the pros and if he chooses to come out, he'll make it. I don't want him to go, but I think he just might come out.

Really, they are going to court the big guys and Josh fits that. He can rebound and block shots, and dribble...he's going to make a lot of cash in the L.

Sadly for the fans of the college game, the pro game has changed it forever. Gone are the days that the elite player wants to come to school to stay there; most don't want to come to school at all, only go L and make the millions.

If I had that type of skill it'd be hard to turn down the money rain, as well.

dth.

Dukefan4Life
03-09-2007, 06:32 PM
I think Josh could bring alot to the NBA. I think with his passing and ball handling ablilty he could do alot for a team. I just dont think we have seen josh"s full offense yet! for some reason we keep him out towards the foul line! i would like to see him post up a bit more

kexman
03-09-2007, 07:37 PM
I think McRoberts would be awesome if he was paired with a strong low post player. Unfortunately what this team needs is a strong low post presence. That is not what he excells at. However, I think if he could be paired with a strong low post player that could score he would be really dominant at the high post feeding it in and doing all the little things. We use his skill sets to help bring the ball up or handle pressure.

In an ideal world our guards could handle the pressure and our center would be a monster on the blocks. However, that is not exactly the skill set that is possessed currently by this years team.

fogey
03-09-2007, 08:01 PM
josh could be GREAT:
hit the weight room this summer, add 30 lbs
shoot softly, with higher arc, 1000/day
copy McCauley's post moves
do the DeMarcus training regimen
get a Mike Lewis kick-butt attitude (anyone old enough to remember?)

one more year if you work on the above, your stock will soar. good luck.

KandG
03-09-2007, 08:12 PM
I do feel Josh is gone, no matter what happens between now and the end of the season. He very nearly went last year, and he would be risking too much if he stayed another year and somehow fell short of expectations again.

Whatever his issues (and they've been discussed extensively on these boards and elsewhere), there is still significant "upside" associated with him. Another year of middling results and his upside and earning potential will vaporize at an exponential rate. I think any upside associated with improved performance in a junior year would be outweighed by the potential downside of an OK or so-so junior year, which would be catastrophic.