PDA

View Full Version : BYU Giving Carowhina a Game

JBDuke
11-24-2007, 11:49 PM
If you're not watching already, BYU-UNC is tied at 44 at the first TV timeout in the second half.

JBDuke
11-24-2007, 11:54 PM
BTW, Lawson tweaked his ankle in the first half and has stayed on the bench since. Frogface has 3 fouls.

UNC 49, BYU 48, 12:15 to go

gotham devil
11-25-2007, 12:05 AM
BTW, Lawson tweaked his ankle in the first half and has stayed on the bench since. Frogface has 3 fouls.

UNC 49, BYU 48, 12:15 to go

Forgive me, is Frogface the Ozark kid that gives blank stares for answers during postgame interviews and answers to "Psycho?"

JBDuke
11-25-2007, 12:07 AM
Forgive me, is Frogface the Ozark kid that gives blank stares for answers during postgame interviews and answers to "Psycho?"

Yes! There was a thread around earlier, and I decided that Frogface, as suggested by a 10-year-old fan, was the best nickname for "Psycho", due to the buggy nature of his eyes.

toughbuff1
11-25-2007, 12:21 AM
Yes! There was a thread around earlier, and I decided that Frogface, as suggested by a 10-year-old fan, was the best nickname for "Psycho", due to the buggy nature of his eyes.

I prefer to call him Sinead. Is this Burgess kid for BYU related to Chris Burgess?

freedevil
11-25-2007, 12:27 AM
They're going to win, despite losing Lawson to that early injury.

It's a shame Lawson didn't go pro. UNC minus Lawson is nowhere near as good. Where's Hondoheel? CuTie has looked unimpressive, at best, as his replacement.

JBDuke
11-25-2007, 12:32 AM

It's a shame Lawson didn't go pro. UNC minus Lawson is nowhere near as good. Where's Hondoheel? CuTie has looked unimpressive, at best, as his replacement.

Yeah, BYU went cold down the stretch, and thus they failed to capitalize on the opportunity presented them.

Also, gotta give some credit to some pretty decent defense from the Heels down the stretch.

Ugh. Now I gotta go wash the bad taste out of my mouth... :-P

RockyMtDevil
11-25-2007, 12:37 AM
UNC is not impressive. They do play some pretty good D when they need to, but I really do hope they are the best team in the country, cause they just are not that good. BYU could not buy a shot in the final 4 minutes or this would have been a great finish...Too bad.

dukie8
11-25-2007, 12:38 AM
Yeah, BYU went cold down the stretch, and thus they failed to capitalize on the opportunity presented them.

Also, gotta give some credit to some pretty decent defense from the Heels down the stretch.

Ugh. Now I gotta go wash the bad taste out of my mouth... :-P

dickie v was giving credit to the unc defense down the stretch but i think that it was more a matter of byu getting tired. a lot of those shots were wide open and i don't think a single 3 attempt in the last 5 minutes was even close.

did you see how old byu is??? they are older than even the '91 unlv team. they are fun to watch -- they pass and shoot very well and obviously are very experienced. they are going to give some team fits in the ncaat.

dongringo
11-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Blast. Sooo close. As both a Duke and BYU fanatic, that would've made my year. Tarholes (with the absence of Lawson, of course) weren't looking too hot against a depth-lacking BYU. Makes you think though, if we keep the deep rotation that we seem to be liking and King or Scheyer steps up and gives a Tavernari-esque game (his first half, i.e.), Carolina will be in for a shock.

GTHC!

hondoheel
11-25-2007, 12:48 AM

I'm right here, and QT ran the team a LOT better than Frasor did.

Great win without Ty, against a tough physical team and terrible officiating.

Carlos
11-25-2007, 01:29 AM
BTW - if you noticed on the replays that they showed where Lawson rolled his ankle, the motion that resulted in the injury didn't look too extreme. However, you can also see that Lawson was playing with a brace on his ankle before the injury. I'm guessing that the ankle was already slightly injured before the game and he just aggravated it.

mepanchin
11-25-2007, 03:31 AM
and terrible officiating.

Oh right

sandinmyshoes
11-25-2007, 07:36 AM
BYU is a more than solid team. I have to give UNC credit for a tough win. One where they played a late game against a team from the local time zone, and did it without one of their top two most important players. I think UNC won this game with their depth, as the BYU players looked a bit tired down the stretch. The only horrible officiating I saw was that out of bounds play.

I think too, that when we take off the royal blue blinders, when we whine about BYU missing shots we cannot forget that UNC missed shots as well. UNC is a decent three point shooting team, but they have cold nights and that is what will probably knock them out of the NCAA short of a title.

Wander
11-25-2007, 09:59 AM

You do realize that UNC shot like triple the amount of free throws as BYU, right? And that BYU had two players in foul trouble for a very significant portion of the game, right?

Duvall
11-25-2007, 10:02 AM

NB: Calling three fouls on Hansbrough, in the same game no less, is not by itself evidence of terrible officiating.

Lord Ash
11-25-2007, 10:11 AM

Damn Duke refs.

captmojo
11-25-2007, 10:20 AM
With all the older, experienced players that BYU put on the floor, it's really a shame that both teams can't lose this one.:cool:

Olympic Fan
11-25-2007, 10:25 AM
I know it's fun to take shots at out rivals when they stumble -- and I'll be the first guy firing when they deserve it -- but I stayed up to watch this and it's hard to be too critical.

Duke fans should remember what it's like to be No. 1 and have everybody gunning for you. BYU is a good, veteran team (coming off a 25-win season) and UNC lost its point guard (and second most important player) in the opening minutes.

UNC didn't play great and their weakness on the boards for a large portion of the game has to be a concern. But they gritted it out, played good defense when they had to and got a clutch (ridiculously long) 3-pointer from Ellington.

That's twice he's hit clutch shots when they were in trouble (he hit a great step-back J against Davidson). A year ago, it seemed like he was missing the decisive shot in every one of their close losses -- his reversal this year has to be a plus.

The biggest thing I take away from my early viewing of the team is how much they miss Brandan Wright. He was a freak that nobody could match up with. I know they showed a stat last night that Thompson/Stepheson were posting similar stats, but I think that just proves how misleading stats can be -- besides, shouldn't the comparison be between Wright/Thompson/Stepheson last year (22.0 ppg; 11.2 rpg.) and Thompson/Stepheson this year (I think about 16 ppg; 9.0 rpg)?

Don't get me wrong. I think Carolina is very good. But I don't buy them as No. 1 at the moment -- even with a healthy Lawson at the point.

sandinmyshoes
11-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Not buying them as number one? I do not buy them as sure number one either. But I do not think there is a clear cut number one. UNC? UCLA? Kansas? Everytime a team stands out, it gets drawn back into the pack with a mediocre game, even if that game is a win.

There are teams like Duke that are just a half step behind but closing the gap. And taking Duke as an example, if the guys who back up Kyle improve we're going to be as good as anyone.

Should be an exciting year with possibly a lot of teams taking a turn as the guys with the number one target on their backs.

hondoheel
11-25-2007, 01:12 PM
You do realize that UNC shot like triple the amount of free throws as BYU, right? And that BYU had two players in foul trouble for a very significant portion of the game, right?

Maybe because BYU used basically just 6 players, and hacked Carolina on almost every shot? If the refs had called every foul that BYU committed, they wouldn't have been able to put 5 guys on the court. Not to mention a pair of back to back phantom fouls on Carolina for over the back when the UNC guy had clearly inside position. Top it off with a play where the BYU guy steps about a foot out of bounds to save a ball off of Ginyard.

You really must not have watched the game.

Taco
11-25-2007, 01:32 PM
You're doing so well to dispel hole fan stereotypes :rolleyes:

freedevil
11-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Taco. I hear that. I guess those of us on DBR just didn't get the official memo that Carolina has (1) never lost a close game, they've only been robbed of a blowout by terrible referees and (2) they've never won a close game that would have been a blowout but for some awful refs... because, DUH, they are better than EVERY team in the world, by far!

hondoheel
11-25-2007, 02:05 PM
You're doing so well to dispel hole fan stereotypes :rolleyes:

There's an alternate spelling of Duke, too, but you won't find me using it anywhere.

Oh, and congrats on the moral victory yesterday.

captmojo
11-25-2007, 02:14 PM

Of course you know, but for a kicker goest thou.

freedevil
11-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Hondo, shouldn't you be spending time soliciting money for the Rams' club so it can give roughly 2 million to all of your 4-8 coaches?

devildeac
11-25-2007, 05:11 PM
There's an alternate spelling of Duke, too, but you won't find me using it anywhere.

There is NO, I repeat, NO alternate spelling of DUKE. We all know the one you are referring to and the filters will not allow it, nor will any of the fans here, either.

hondoheel
11-25-2007, 09:32 PM
There is NO, I repeat, NO alternate spelling of DUKE. We all know the one you are referring to and the filters will not allow it, nor will any of the fans here, either.

Thanks, but I've got a built in filter called maturity.

devildeac
11-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks, but I've got a built in filter called maturity.

Your posting here demonstrates that(most of the time:D ). We cannot say that very often about many of the other fans of the light blue persuasion. I made sure that when my son headed off to Duke several years ago and most of his 'friends' headed a bit farther south on 15-501, that all of his 'friends' knew the proper spelling for Duke and that they would hopefully not become 'hooked on phonics' in their first English class.

Duvall
11-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Maybe because BYU used basically just 6 players, and hacked Carolina on almost every shot? If the refs had called every foul that BYU committed, they wouldn't have been able to put 5 guys on the court. Not to mention a pair of back to back phantom fouls on Carolina for over the back when the UNC guy had clearly inside position. Top it off with a play where the BYU guy steps about a foot out of bounds to save a ball off of Ginyard.

If you're going to get upset over missed out of bounds plays, you're not going to enjoy basketball much.

Personally, I was glad to see a game in which both teams were allowed to play aggressive defense without a whistle each time down the floor.