PDA

View Full Version : Who's number one in college football?

Lavabe
11-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Arkansas beats LSU in overtime. (How are you doing ArkieDukie?)

Does this mean the Border War (Kansas/Mizzou) becomes a battle for number one?

What a crazy year!

Who is number one?
Cheers,
Lavabe

pfrduke
11-23-2007, 11:07 PM

Does this mean the Border War (Kansas/Mizzou) becomes a battle for number one?

What a crazy year!

Who is number one?
Cheers,
Lavabe

While Big XII fans wish this was the case, I doubt Missouri leapfrogs WVU when they beat Kansas (yes, I said when, not if). Of course, if WVU manages to drop its game, then you're looking at Missouri #1, OSU #2.

I will say, Kansas has as good an argument as OSU for the #2 spot - its 1 loss (to Missouri on a neutral field) is a "better" loss than OSU's (to Illinois at home), and their non-con schedules are actually comparable. But it'll never actually happen in real life - KU would be dropped at least to 5, if not lower.

BluBones
11-23-2007, 11:09 PM
Duke!

(Sorry--for the past few seasons I've been convincing myself it's 1938. I'm grateful that President Roosevelt got me the WPA job and put a chicken in my pot but worried about that Hitler fella.)

OZZIE4DUKE
11-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Duke!

Blu, you beat me to it! I was going to say Duke!

GO DUKE! BEAT carolina!

YmoBeThere
11-24-2007, 10:17 AM
It just doesn't matter any more, does it?

Indoor66
11-24-2007, 10:19 AM
It just doesn't matter any more, does it?

You got that right!

Olympic Fan
11-24-2007, 11:24 AM
The way the BCS is set up, it matters a lot who is in the top two ... not so much who is No. 1. So it doesn't really matter if Missouri beats Kansas and leapfrogs West Virginia or not -- if West Virginia wins out, they will unquestionably be in the national title game. That's all that matters at this point.

Right now, one of three no loss/one loss teams is due to get screwed:

(1) West Virginia is assured of a place in the title game if the Mountaineers beat UConn today (likely), then take care of business next week against Pitt (a very weak opponent, but a rivalry game).
(2) The Missouri-Kansas winner still has to win the Big 12 title game, probably against a very good Oklahoma team (although Texas and Oklahoma State still have an outside shot). But do that and they are in.
(3) Ohio State is done with an 11-1 record. The Buckeyes have to hope that either West Virginia loses one of its last two or the Missouri-Kansas loser loses the Big 12 title game. If one of those two things happens, then OSU moves into the title game.

BUT WHAT IF BOTH THINGS HAPPEN? What if West Virginia loses one of its final two games AND the Missouri-Kansas winner loses to Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game?

I honestly don't know who Ohio State would get to play in the national title game in that scenario. That's the only situation that gives us a two-loss team. Or maybe not -- what if Kansas loses a great game to Missouri, then Missouri and WVU both lose next week? Could a one-loss Kansas suddenly back into the title game? What about fast-closing Georgia? Could Virginia Tech get back in the picture with impressive wins over Virginia and BC in the ACC title game? Could Southern Cal come back into play? Heck, the commentators love LSU ... so what if they lost two (and won three more in the final seconds)?

All I know is that would be a mess ... which would be kind of fun.

ugadevil
11-24-2007, 11:44 AM
BUT WHAT IF BOTH THINGS HAPPEN? What if West Virginia loses one of its final two games AND the Missouri-Kansas winner loses to Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game?

I honestly don't know who Ohio State would get to play in the national title game in that scenario. That's the only situation that gives us a two-loss team. Or maybe not -- what if Kansas loses a great game to Missouri, then Missouri and WVU both lose next week? Could a one-loss Kansas suddenly back into the title game? What about fast-closing Georgia? Could Virginia Tech get back in the picture with impressive wins over Virginia and BC in the ACC title game? Could Southern Cal come back into play? Heck, the commentators love LSU ... so what if they lost two (and won three more in the final seconds)?

All I know is that would be a mess ... which would be kind of fun.

I've been saying it for two weeks! UGA still has a shot to get to the championship. Granted, today is the day where it could all fall apart, I think the title game will be West Virginia/Ohio State. But, things have worked out so far with AZ State and Oklahoma losing. Continuing to keep hope alive!

My other question would be...who wins the Heisman? I say just mail it to Darren McFadden. No need to even go to NYC to decide it.

captmojo
11-24-2007, 12:14 PM
If Hawaii beats Washington next, give them a shot! Also, should their QB be considered for Heisman?

rockymtn devil
11-24-2007, 12:27 PM
West Virginia and the winner of tonight's KU/Mizzou game control their own destiny. Win out and you play for the national title. The Mountaineers have a pretty light schedule left and should be in New Orleans. Living in B12 country, I've seen quite a bit of both Kansas and Missouri and both are very good football teams, although I'm not sure either would or should be favored over WVU or Ohio State, or even Oklahoma.

Missouri's defense is pretty bad, and although Kansas is better on that side of the ball, they won't win any games on the strength of their D. That, in my opinion, seperates them from the other "contenders". My guess? Missouri wins tonight and then loses next week to the Sooners.

To respond to a previous poster asking about 1-loss Kansas vs. 1-loss Ohio State, I don't think there's much of a question who should go to the title game between the two. You said their OOC schedules were similar, but the Buckeyes played a BCS conference team (@Washington) while Kansas played none (Central Michigan, Southeastern Louisiana, Toledo, Fla. Intl., all at home). Further, even if the Kansas loss (potentially Missouri) is better than OSU's (Illinois), that's only half the equation. Ohio State has better wins than Kansas if we assume the Jayhawks lose tonight. Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan are all better than KU's best wins (KSU and Okie State). So, it comes down to what's more important: quality of wins or quality of loss? I go with the former.

Wander
11-24-2007, 01:23 PM
While Big XII fans wish this was the case, I doubt Missouri leapfrogs WVU when they beat Kansas (yes, I said when, not if).

Do you mean "when" in the sense of "when Nevada beats Hawaii" or in the sense of "when Boise State beats Hawaii" ?

pfrduke
11-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Do you mean "when" in the sense of "when Nevada beats Hawaii" or in the sense of "when Boise State beats Hawaii" ?

I'd say I meant it in the sense of when Missouri beats Kansas.

devildeac
11-24-2007, 11:57 PM
I'd say I meant it in the sense of when Missouri beats Kansas.

not Duke.(sorry, Ozzie)

Looks like WVU now, with Mizzou at #2.

Buckeye Devil
11-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Oklahoma will beat Mizzou in the Big 12 title game leaving OSU and WVU to fight it out in the championship game. OSU has not yet demonstrated that it can defend the spread offense getting hammered by Florida last year and run over by Illionois this year. But something tells me that Jim Tressel won't let 2 national championships slip by in consecutive years and the defense is rock solid in spite of the showing against Illinois.

Jumbo
11-25-2007, 09:52 AM
In this season, where no one is really good, I think an undefeated Hawaii team has to be given a shot to play for the title.

captmojo
11-25-2007, 09:56 AM
In this season, where no one is really good, I think an undefeated Hawaii team has to be given a shot to play for the title.

Especially one year after a what might have been team from Boise that put up such a performance against Oklahoma. They deserve a shot.

ArkieDukie
11-25-2007, 10:06 AM

Doing pretty well, thanks for asking! I watched the game at my parents' house, with siblings and in-laws. We were all jumping up and down like crazy at the end. It was an especially gratifying win, considering that the refs were doing all that they could in the first half to help LSU. (VERY generous spots to give LSU a first down on 2 separate occasions, for example.) Darren McFadden for the Heisman!

LSU has been played closely in their last couple of games and came back to win at the end. Our coaches (esp. OC David Lee) took advantage of some weaknesses that were revealed in those games.

As for the who's #1 question, I don't know, but it's not LSU. :)

rthomas
11-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Doing pretty well, thanks for asking! I watched the game at my parents' house, with siblings and in-laws. We were all jumping up and down like crazy at the end. It was an especially gratifying win, considering that the refs were doing all that they could in the first half to help LSU. (VERY generous spots to give LSU a first down on 2 separate occasions, for example.) Darren McFadden for the Heisman!

LSU has been played closely in their last couple of games and came back to win at the end. Our coaches (esp. OC David Lee) took advantage of some weaknesses that were revealed in those games.

As for the who's #1 question, I don't know, but it's not LSU. :)

I would just like to say. Thank you, Arkansas!

throatybeard
11-25-2007, 03:48 PM
AP has Mizzou 1 and WVU 2; coaches vice versa. BCS poll comes out later this afternoon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3127118

throatybeard
11-25-2007, 06:36 PM
New BCS is out. The Tigers and Mountaineers control their destiny. KU didn;'t drop that much.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/BCSStandings

rthomas
11-25-2007, 07:11 PM
New BCS is out. The Tigers and Mountaineers control their destiny. KU didn;'t drop that much.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/BCSStandings

Unless there is a huge huge upset in Morgantown next Saturday night, WVU will be in the BCS Championship game. Let's Go, Mountaineers!

rthomas
11-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Channeling Bobby Hurley

No wonder UConn could not tackle Pat White on Saturday night. He threw up almost a dozen times. "It came out of nowhere," White said. "I was excited and pumped up." At least the Heisman Trophy candidate was able to pick his spots when getting sick.

"Most of the time, it happened when I was getting tackled," White said.

A-Tex Devil
11-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Imagine this wonderful, wonderful scenario: Pitt takes down WVU in a rivalry game, OU beats Mizzou, LSU beats Tennessee, ACC Champ has two losses regardless, then you have what, the Buckeyes versus ummmm.... non-conference champion Kansas? Hawaii if they beat Washington (won't happen unless there's a tide turn in the human polls)? Some 2 loss team that you can't differentiate from any other two loss team?

OSU has beaten one good team this year, and it's questionable if Michigan is good. Bully for them. But they did what they had to do under the rules of the system. And I think, even if Mizzou and WVU both win next week, they have as strong an argument to be included in the top two as USC and Auburn did in 2003 and 2004.

WVU and OSU, if WVU wins out and Mizzou loses (more likely than WVU losing), are the right 2 teams based on records and how the system works, but no way you'll convince me they are the "best" two teams considering what I saw in the SEC, Big XII and PAC 10 this year.

But what would be awesome, what I'm really rooting for, is for the "nightmare" scenario to happen next week with 10 different teams you could make some kind of argument for. You'll have OSU in the game and then one of the following:

2 loss OU (last among these teams in the BCS right now, but would have beaten Mizzou twice)
2 loss LSU (lost 2 overtime games)
2 loss WVU (lost to 2 middling Big East teams -- if they lose to Pitt)
2 loss Georgia (who couldn't win their division, but is as hot as anyone)
2 loss Missouri (they'd be out since they lost to OU twice, but Mizzou fan, make an argument)
1 loss KU (who lost handily to Mizzou who lost twice to OU - but they have the best record)
2 loss USC (pretty good case - lost when they had injuries, but are on a roll. Had the worst loss of any team on this list)
2 loss ACC Champion (both have pretty good arguments. Va Tech probably a better one if they win)
2 loss Arizona State (no shot, but I'm sure a Sun Devil fan could provide an argument for them)

If the system would ever allow it, Jumbo is right, they should let Hawaii in the game if they beat Washington. If they aren't going to have a playoff, they could add 2 more wrinkles to the BCS system to give the teams that actually beat their schedule a shot:

1. You must win your conference championship.
2. A 2 loss team cannot get in the title game ahead of a conference champion (regardless of conference) with less than 2 losses and in the top 12 of the BCS.

rockymtn devil
11-25-2007, 09:57 PM
I think regardless of what happens next week, the system will work out just fine--that is, it won't be any worse than it is every year. Ohio State looks, IMO, to be the second best team in the country behind Missouri. While they played a weak OOC schedule and in the B10 (which, despite what will be said is not nearly as bad as people proclaim when compared to other conferences...but more on that in a minute), they handled every team on their schedule but one. No one else--not even WVU, which struggled against some mediocre teams--outside of Missouri can say that. While I think a playoff would be preferable, I don't think that Ohio State and WVU/Mizzou playing for the title (or the Tigers and the Mountaineers) is really definitive evidence of a need for a playoff. In other words, such a matchup doesn't make college football illegitimate.

As for conference strength, it's become clear that none of the BCS conferences are any good (maybe this is an argument for Hawaii getting into the BCS Title game).

B10--Michigan's bad losses, Northwestern losing to Duke, the Gophers losing to everyone...'nuf said.

Big East--Any conference in which UCONN is in contention late in the season can't be very good. The Huskies won games in the BE because it's a bad set of teams.

ACC--Decent at the top (VT, BC, Clemson), mediocre in the middle (Wake, FSU, Maryland, UVa, GT), and really bad at the bottom (UNC, Duke, NCST, Miami)

Pac-10--Switch "UCONN" with "UCLA" in the Big East note. The Bruins could still win the Pac-10 and that's pathetic.

B12--Probably the strongest conference based purely on the top. OU, KU, and Mizzou are all good, if not very good, football teams. The rest of the group ranges from so-so (Texas, A&M, KSU, Colorado) to bad (everyone else)

SEC--Didn't fare well OOC against other BCS conferences, and the conference title game pits two teams with questionable losses against one another. Just because they beat up on each other doesn't make them good; they could all be just okay and still beat up on each other...and that appears to be the case

What's the point? The system is flawed, but it'll probably work just fine if it sets up any game in which Ohio State, West Virginia, and Missouri (in some combination) play for the national title. Really, who else should be there?

tommy
11-26-2007, 01:51 AM
Imagine this wonderful, wonderful scenario: Pitt takes down WVU in a rivalry game, OU beats Mizzou, LSU beats Tennessee, ACC Champ has two losses regardless, then you have what, the Buckeyes versus ummmm.... non-conference champion Kansas? Hawaii if they beat Washington (won't happen unless there's a tide turn in the human polls)? Some 2 loss team that you can't differentiate from any other two loss team?

OSU has beaten one good team this year, and it's questionable if Michigan is good. Bully for them. But they did what they had to do under the rules of the system. And I think, even if Mizzou and WVU both win next week, they have as strong an argument to be included in the top two as USC and Auburn did in 2003 and 2004.

WVU and OSU, if WVU wins out and Mizzou loses (more likely than WVU losing), are the right 2 teams based on records and how the system works, but no way you'll convince me they are the "best" two teams considering what I saw in the SEC, Big XII and PAC 10 this year.

But what would be awesome, what I'm really rooting for, is for the "nightmare" scenario to happen next week with 10 different teams you could make some kind of argument for. You'll have OSU in the game and then one of the following:

2 loss OU (last among these teams in the BCS right now, but would have beaten Mizzou twice)
2 loss LSU (lost 2 overtime games)
2 loss WVU (lost to 2 middling Big East teams -- if they lose to Pitt)
2 loss Georgia (who couldn't win their division, but is as hot as anyone)
2 loss Missouri (they'd be out since they lost to OU twice, but Mizzou fan, make an argument)
1 loss KU (who lost handily to Mizzou who lost twice to OU - but they have the best record)
2 loss USC (pretty good case - lost when they had injuries, but are on a roll. Had the worst loss of any team on this list)
2 loss ACC Champion (both have pretty good arguments. Va Tech probably a better one if they win)
2 loss Arizona State (no shot, but I'm sure a Sun Devil fan could provide an argument for them)

If the system would ever allow it, Jumbo is right, they should let Hawaii in the game if they beat Washington. If they aren't going to have a playoff, they could add 2 more wrinkles to the BCS system to give the teams that actually beat their schedule a shot:

1. You must win your conference championship.
2. A 2 loss team cannot get in the title game ahead of a conference champion (regardless of conference) with less than 2 losses and in the top 12 of the BCS.

I would love that scenario. In most sports, once my team is out of it, I root for the matchup that will yield the worst TV ratings, especially in sports like college football where this whole godawful BCS thing was set up entirely to try to please the networks in the first place.

In your scenario, I agree with Jumbo that I would love to see Hawaii get in the title game, but that's not going to happen. The argument for Kansas, I think, would be that they're the only 1-loss team, and that loss was not "handily" to Missouri, but was a 6 point loss on a neutral field to the then #4 team in the nation, in which they had the ball with a chance to win in the waning minutes.

I'm not at all impressed with Ohio State. Their OOC schedule stunk, and their league stunk. They had only a couple of moderate tests all year - they beat a very mediocre Michigan team and lost at home to Illinois. This is championship material? And keep in mind, this is a team that got blown off the field by Florida in last year's BCS title game, and then lost its Heisman QB, its star playmaking WR/KR, and a lot of other guys, none of whom were replaced by guys anywhere close to their skill level. If they do get in again, I'd like to see them get blown out again by whoever they play, as they are frauds.

rockymtn devil
11-26-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm not at all impressed with Ohio State. Their OOC schedule stunk, and their league stunk. They had only a couple of moderate tests all year - they beat a very mediocre Michigan team and lost at home to Illinois. This is championship material? And keep in mind, this is a team that got blown off the field by Florida in last year's BCS title game, and then lost its Heisman QB, its star playmaking WR/KR, and a lot of other guys, none of whom were replaced by guys anywhere close to their skill level. If they do get in again, I'd like to see them get blown out again by whoever they play, as they are frauds.

With all due respect, this post makes it seem as though you haven't watched Ohio State at all this season. This year's Buckeyes are a better football team than last year's. Ginn has been replaced by Robiskie, a player with slightly less speed but much better hands who's a better route-runner (the latter being Ginn's downfall as a reciever). Gonzalez and Hartline are interchangeable, with Hartline actually having better speed. Chris Wells is a step-up from Antonio Pittman, and although Todd Boeckman is not Troy Smith, he's played very well for a first-year starter.

On defense, they are are essentially the same unit as last year, and they've certainly improved. The key is that the D-line is so good that it gets enough pressure on the quarterback without having to blitz the LBs on a regular basis. They look to be the best defense in the country, and for that reason they're in every game they play.

Finally, your point about schedule strength is misguided, I think. According to cbssportsline, Ohio State has the 43rd toughest schedule in America. West Virginia has the 29th. LSU has the 27th. Oklahoma has the 59th. USC and Kansas? 74 and 75. Missouri has the 13th and Georgia the 9th, making them the BCS title contenders with the toughest schedules. But, for all the talk about how bad OSU's schedule is, it isn't that much different than WVU's and LSU's, and it's better than other teams who's schedule never gets knocked.

Troublemaker
11-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Rooting hard for Mizzou to beat OU (which should happen). A WVU-Mizzou MNC game would be tons of offensive fun like USC-Texas a couple years back.

phaedrus
11-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Ohio State also beat Wisconsin by a couple of touchdowns. Wisconsin is not elite, but they are good (18th in BCS right now). Considering Wisconsin beat Michigan, it might be OSU's best win this year.

tommy
11-27-2007, 07:51 PM
With all due respect, this post makes it seem as though you haven't watched Ohio State at all this season. This year's Buckeyes are a better football team than last year's. Ginn has been replaced by Robiskie, a player with slightly less speed but much better hands who's a better route-runner (the latter being Ginn's downfall as a reciever). Gonzalez and Hartline are interchangeable, with Hartline actually having better speed. Chris Wells is a step-up from Antonio Pittman, and although Todd Boeckman is not Troy Smith, he's played very well for a first-year starter.

On defense, they are are essentially the same unit as last year, and they've certainly improved. The key is that the D-line is so good that it gets enough pressure on the quarterback without having to blitz the LBs on a regular basis. They look to be the best defense in the country, and for that reason they're in every game they play.

Finally, your point about schedule strength is misguided, I think. According to cbssportsline, Ohio State has the 43rd toughest schedule in America. West Virginia has the 29th. LSU has the 27th. Oklahoma has the 59th. USC and Kansas? 74 and 75. Missouri has the 13th and Georgia the 9th, making them the BCS title contenders with the toughest schedules. But, for all the talk about how bad OSU's schedule is, it isn't that much different than WVU's and LSU's, and it's better than other teams who's schedule never gets knocked.

I don't know. Last year's team was a lot scarier for opponents to face. So much more explosiveness, especially on offense, than this year's team. These guys just don't seem out of anyone's league, and last year's guys did, until they played the Gators, that is. And they had 6 or 8 guys chosen in the first 4-5 rounds of the draft, which is a lot. I doubt this year's team has that many. Could be wrong, but doubt it.

As far as the schedule goes, Wisconsin was probably their best win. But their overall schedule strength was, well, not strong. Per Sagarin, they faced the 56th toughest schedule in the country, which is the worst among the true contenders except for Oklahoma (67). Georgia was 22, LSU 26, USC 33, Missouri 34, West Va 35, and Va Tech 45. I guess that's what happens when you schedule OOC Youngstown State, Akron, Washington, and Kent State. I just think when you're playing in a league that is not that strong, either at the top or top-to-bottom, you've got to try harder in your OOC scheduling to impress.

Buckeye Devil
11-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Everyone knows that scheduling can sometime be a shot in the dark. Granted, Kent St., Akron, and YSU were not tough teams for OSU to face. Washington was scheduled some time ago and one would assume that the Huskies would prove a worthy competitor and at the start of the season this seemed to be the case. Of course they proved otherwise over the course of the season. This is not OSU's normal pre-conference schedule as one only need to look back at Texas in 2005 & 2006, and upcoming games with Southern California in 2008 & 2009. Games with Miami (FL) are to follow that.

OSU's schedule was not as easy as some might think considering there were 3night games-all on the road-and two of those were against teams with winning records-Purdue and Penn State (and Happy Valley is not an easy place to play), both of which were ranked in the top 25 at the time. They also beat Michigan on the road and Wisconsin at home. Illinois was peaking at the time of that game and Juice Williams learned to throw the ball just in time for that contest-he had stunk it up pretty bad to that point in terms of throwing.

Granted, it was not a schedule like Georgia, but it had sufficient challenges. At a glance, I still do not see how anyone could say that WVU's schedule was harder than OSU's, nor that the Big East is better than the Big 10. Rich Rodriguez knew what he was doing when he turned down the Alabama job as WVU should easily get at least 9 wins every year with the pre-season schedule they play and the overall depth in the Big Easy, I mean East.

rockymtn devil
11-27-2007, 08:55 PM
As far as the schedule goes, Wisconsin was probably their best win. But their overall schedule strength was, well, not strong. Per Sagarin, they faced the 56th toughest schedule in the country, which is the worst among the true contenders except for Oklahoma (67). Georgia was 22, LSU 26, USC 33, Missouri 34, West Va 35, and Va Tech 45. I guess that's what happens when you schedule OOC Youngstown State, Akron, Washington, and Kent State. I just think when you're playing in a league that is not that strong, either at the top or top-to-bottom, you've got to try harder in your OOC scheduling to impress.

College football scheduling is not like college basketball scheduling so it's not like Ohio State could've looked at the strength of the B10 last winter and scheduled better OOC games. These games are schedule years in advance (right now you can find OSU's 2010-2011 schedule on the official website) and the B10, like all conferences, has up and down years. The Washington game was the second of a home-and-home with the Huskies. The first was in 2003, when Washington was a top-10 team, and it was likely scheduled in the late 1990s. I'm not sure that then Ohio State coach John Cooper and AD Andy Geiger had any sort of insight into the strength of the B10 or Washington in 2007.

In terms of trying harder, I don't think you'll find a major college football program that tries harder than Ohio State to schedule top-notch OOC games.

In the Jim Tressel Era (note: some scheduled pre-Tressel)
20001-2002: @ UCLA
2002-2003: Washington State (when they were a top-10 program), Texas Tech
2003-2004: Washington, NC State
2004-2005: NC State
2005-2006: Texas
2006-2007: @ Texas

And in the coming years, home-and-homes with USC and Miami.

At the end of the day, if Mizzou loses this weekend, who do you propose gets in over Ohio State? There really isn't anyone.

tommy
11-28-2007, 02:40 AM
College football scheduling is not like college basketball scheduling so it's not like Ohio State could've looked at the strength of the B10 last winter and scheduled better OOC games. These games are schedule years in advance (right now you can find OSU's 2010-2011 schedule on the official website) and the B10, like all conferences, has up and down years. The Washington game was the second of a home-and-home with the Huskies. The first was in 2003, when Washington was a top-10 team, and it was likely scheduled in the late 1990s. I'm not sure that then Ohio State coach John Cooper and AD Andy Geiger had any sort of insight into the strength of the B10 or Washington in 2007.

In terms of trying harder, I don't think you'll find a major college football program that tries harder than Ohio State to schedule top-notch OOC games.

In the Jim Tressel Era (note: some scheduled pre-Tressel)
20001-2002: @ UCLA
2002-2003: Washington State (when they were a top-10 program), Texas Tech
2003-2004: Washington, NC State
2004-2005: NC State
2005-2006: Texas
2006-2007: @ Texas

And in the coming years, home-and-homes with USC and Miami.

At the end of the day, if Mizzou loses this weekend, who do you propose gets in over Ohio State? There really isn't anyone.

Well, you and Buckeye Devil have some valid points. I know the scheduling is done further in advance, but those schedules are not set in stone. Teams have been known to slide opponents in and out late in the game too. But I don't disagree that the schedules are largely done further in advance.

The teams you note that they've scheduled in the last few years are OK, but other than Texas have been no great shakes really. NC State? Texas Tech?

When I think of aggressive schedulers, I think of programs like Florida State and USC. Those guys will play anyone, anywhere. Florida State, who already has Florida on their schedule every year, scheduled Alabama too for this year. Didn't have to add a second OOC perennial power, but they did. In the past they have scheduled series with the likes of Notre Dame (under Holtz) and Michigan. Look at who USC has played OOC in the last several years -- Virginia Tech, Auburn, Nebraska, mostly on the road.

But the bottom line, you're right, is that if Missouri loses, there's nobody else to put in there but Ohio State. Not the greatest reason to make a title game -- 'there's nobody else' -- but that's a systemic problem, not an Ohio State problem.

STLDukeFan4
11-28-2007, 04:50 AM
I really don't see Mizzou getting beat by Oklahoma on Saturday. I think the only thing going against them is that the game is in San Antonio, so I am guessing there will be more Oklahoma fans than Mizzou fans. Mizzou, despite being #1 in the nation is still the 3 point underdog in this game and I like that.

The last time the two teams hooked up, I felt like Mizzou had the game and threw it away with bad turnovers. I would expect them to learn from the mistakes of the last game and take it to Oklahoma this time around. After watching the way Chase Daniel performed against Kansas last Saturday, coming back strong after the first 3 possessions and just taking over the game, (40-49 in passing..wow) it just doesnt seem like he gets rattled. Hopefully he will show the same composure this week.

Also, as pointed out earlier, Mizzou's defense (especially after losing Pig Brown) is not very good. They did, however, put some good pressure on Reesing last week and it looked like the pressure was starting to mess with him. I expect the same to happen this week when they go against the FRESHMAN Bradford.

Should be a good game...I say Mizzou by 6.